IMDb > Sheena: Queen of the Jungle (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sheena

Sheena: Queen of the Jungle More at IMDbPro »Sheena (original title)

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Enjoy The Film For What Is Was Intended

Author: loveout from United States
7 November 2004

Sheena wasn't made to win any Academy awards. Nevertheless, for a "B" film the photography is actually quite good. Granted, Tanya's acting ability at this time in her life needed a lot of work. I'm sure the producers knew this going in and didn't care. They knew the attraction would be to watch Sheena doing her thing in her jungle outfit. Tanya was the perfect choice considering the reason for the film. Sheena was made to showcase Tanya Roberts stunning physical attributes and was successful in this regard. She is the reason the movie is still moderately popular after 20 years. So if you like this type of eye-candy film, enjoy! It wasn't meant to be anything else.

A guilty pleasure if ever there was one!

Author: Big Bad John from Sydney, Australia
28 January 2004

People really like to dump on this movie! Sure, it's dumb.... but it's NOT boring! And to the guys who say that Tanya Roberts looks more like a Valley Girl gone Troppo than a Jungle Queen (because a jungle girl would have hairy armpits)......LIGHTEN UP! This is Hollywood, remember? The Dream Factory! Escapism! Who wants Sheena to look like a bush pig?? Not me! As silly as it is, this movie is no worse than the Saturday afternoon matinees of long ago and it certainly is fun to watch, even though the dialog and a couple of the situations are a little cringe-worthy. The scenery (and the cinematography) is awesome and the animals are wonderful. The whole thing moves at a nice pace and yes, Miss Roberts DOES take her clothes off.... and that can't be a bad thing! Oh yeah, look for the string holding up the helicopter just before it crashes....marvelous!! This dvd deserves pride of place on your shelf right next to ANACONDA and GODZILLA. 7 out of 10.

Mostly Eye Candy, and WHAT candy!

Author: (timmauk@hotmail.com) from st. pete, fl usa
7 June 2004

I remember watching this on TV in the 80's. The old gang back at the college dorms really enjoyed this too. This film has a lot GREAT eye candy. Tanya Roberts was sooo worth watching in BEASTMASTER that the big wigs at the studio thought they'd give her another film to "show off" more of her special talents. Not to be sexist, they threw in SOAP's Ted Wass as her love interest and made him show some of his "special talents". Just like in the BEASTMASTER, there are plenty of those adorable animals to entertain and attack those nasty old villains.

With so many bad things happening in this world, do yourself a favor and get away for 90 minutes. Watch something mindless like this to make you forget about elections, markets, wars, terrorist, and J Lo. Let Tanya tame you......

Fun for the whole family.

Author: SanDiego from Sheena fan.
18 November 2000

I just have to say now that this film has aged rather well. What with "Charlie Angels" up on the big screen audiences are a little less politically correct with regards to heroines. As long as the lead is smart, strong, and independent, it is okay that she is beautiful too. "Sheena" shares the same orb as "Wonder Woman," "Supergirl," Emma Peel of "The Avengers," "Le Femme Nikita," and most obviously, "Xena." This is a family adventure film that is most of all fun where the children seem to enjoy it equally as well as the adults. Children like things that are pretty, and this includes people, so Tanya Robert's natural beauty is appealing to children too on a more simpler level. Yes, there is a little violence (of the adventure film variety) but not grotesquely, frightenly, or sickenly so. The same can be said about the display of skin which is never shown to be associated with sex or violence. What a concept! Thank you! Yes, there are two scenes where Tanya Roberts is fully nude, one of Sheena showering under a waterfall, and another of Sheena walking across the screen to bathe in a pond. But, they are so natural and appropriate (especially for children) that I have to applaud the screenwriter for creating these two scenes in lieu of the usual stupid reasons movie makers have to include nude scenes. Roberts does a terrific job as Sheena.

Beautiful and strong female hero.

Author: SanDiego
7 October 1999

Not that bad. The production values are excellent and the story line is no worse than TV or low-budgeted action adventure. This is a PG film after all. I remembered this being marketed as a family film, however there are some very violent scenes. The shots of her swinging on a vine were very realistic as were the flamingo and rhino attacks. I was twelve when I first saw it and it was good to have a female action hero. She was very beautiful AND strong. In her early scenes she is shot sexy beautiful, but as the film progresses we see her more as healthy beautiful. I never saw earlier versions of Sheena, however no updated comic book hero movies ever match the originals (Batman, Superman, etc...) Lois Lane is forever updated to match social change, why can't Sheena become more politically correct when it comes to not wearing fur? I think Tanya Roberts has gotten a bum rap over the years. Besides being so beautiful, she has a certain charm and sweetness to her. The hauntingly beautiful theme song is one of the best of any movie. The final shot of Tanya Roberts, a reprise of her first shot, galloping on a zebra along an endless beach of flamingos in the background is breathtaking and worth the rental.

last surviving fairy tale

Author: unbrokenmetal from Hamburg, Germany
7 June 2001

Tanya Roberts certainly got the best part of her career (alongside the Roger Moore Bond movie, of course) in "Sheena". It's hard to pretend so much innocence and naivete after a life spent in NY and Hollywood, of all places. That's acting... I'd like to point out many scenes with the animals, arranged better than in many Tarzan competitors, and I am not afraid to admit I still am fascinated by this fairy tale that was kindalike the last survivor in 1984 - before digital FX took control. Seen the OTT animal scenes in Jumanji? Maybe you feel the same then.

Good for what it is

Author: jmatrixrenegade (jmatrixrenegade@aol.com) from NYC
23 April 2006

First off, PG apparently at the time allowed a brief nude scene. A refreshing deal really. The violence really isn't too bad; surely of the comic variety. Not an "R" picture.

Second, the movie obviously is not to be taken seriously. As harmless entertainment, it is pretty good, especially if watched in the right frame of mind. The evil countess (best line was demanding equal harm to be done to Sheena ... no ERA stuff for her!), big city reporter (reference to his view of the Towers), mystical shaman (imdb has the actress having a pretty interesting backstory), and Sheena (talk to me in words I understand!) all are fun.

Commenting on Tanya Roberts' acting skills is a bit redundant. She is there because she fits into the costume, so to speak, and she does that rather well, thank you. As an actress ... well, she isn't THAT horrible, really. If Heidi Fleiss can be in a movie, TR can play Sheena! And, really, her performance adds to the fun too.

I saw this at about 2am. Perfect time.

fun!

Author: VicCasey from United States
28 May 2005

Sheena has been entertaining us for close to 70 years now, but you sure wouldn't know it to look at her. She still looks as beautiful and sexy as ever. I've had a ball following Sheena's adventures in the pulps, comic books, on TV, and in this Sheena movie from 1984. My favorite actress in the role of Sheena is Irish McCalla, but I've enjoyed Tanya Roberts and Gina Lee Nolan too. Roberts is stunningly beautiful and she conveys a wonderful sense of innocence as Sheena. This 1984 Sheena movie is a blast of cheesy fun that provides plenty of entertaining moments that make for great escapism. Enjoy this one with good friends, beverages, and lots of popcorn. Sheena is fun!

Very touching

Author: powergrinding from United States
24 March 2006

This movie is a classic Tanya Roberts , I feel she was so natural in the role instead of fake acting, she is also very magnetic in all her attractions.Shenna is truly the Queen of the jungle , also the villains are superb in there ability to make you hate them for there dirty deeds. Also some comedy relief in some scenes, the best scene of course , is Tanya bathing ala natural , which shows her real outside beauty , no way around this , she is gorgeous and thats that. The actual jungle scenery is great , and her animal magnetism was done well, and her re pore with the animals was great as was the rest of the cast. This should have been rated better, possibly more jealous women voting, Tanya is just drop dead gorgeous.

Underrated female tarzan flick

Author: pete36 from Belgium
6 September 2003

I will admit this is not a masterpiece of cinema but as for jungle adventures go this is very good and entertaining. It moves along at a swift pace, lots of action plus a very likeable and sexy heroine. There is quite some nudity (but no sex) from Tanya Roberts ofcourse but also from the evil black princess. Director John Guillermin makes sure you get a good look at their (great) bodies.

Guillermin is familiar with the topic because in the early sixties he made some excellent Tarzan movies starring Gordon Scott. In my mind he is also an undeserved neglected director who had his fair share of flops ("Shaft in Afrika","King Kong lives",etc...)but who almost always succeeds in delivering an entertaining movie, not great art, but rousing actioners as "The Blue Max", "Guns at Batasi", "The Bridge at Remagen" or even the 1976 "King Kong". Whatever the topic, you won't get easily bored by a Guillermindirected movie.

Just compare "Sheena" with other so-called jungle movies from the early eighties : "Tarzan the Ape Man" with Bo Derek, one the true worst movies of all time or the two abysmal Allan Quartermain movies starring Richard Chamberlain and Sharon Stone.

Sheena comes off quite nicely.

I gave it 7/10.