IMDb > Revenge of the Nerds (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Another funny teen film from the 80's

Author: Dan Grant (dan.grant@bell.ca) from Toronto, Ontario
23 May 2000

With the resurgence of the raunchy teen comedy, now seems like as good a time as ever to go back and study its roots. What kinds of films influenced American Pie and Road Trip? It is easy to point out films like Porky's, Animal House and Fasttimes, but somewhere forgotten in all this is Jeff Kanew's hilarious flick REVENGE OF THE NERDS. This is not only entertaining and funny, but it contains what has to be considered a blue print for success in campus comedy. Take lots of people getting drunk, jocks ostracizing nerds from there way of life, the weak rising up to take back what is just as much a right as it is to others, and of course lots of nudity featuring an abundance of gorgeous women. What you have here is a great recipe for success.

What made Revenge work is that it didn't try to pretend to be something that it wasn't. This was an exploitive sex-fest and it worked well. What it also had was a funny script and one that we could all relate to. I mean, who hasn't felt left out or relegated to the side lines while someone else gets all the glory? Besides being extremely funny, this film touched on something that we all can relate to.

Revenge of the Nerds is another of the teen films that was hilarious and it ended up spawning a slew of sequels. Avoid them and see this one again. It's worth it, especially if you were a teen when it came out. And if you are a teen now, this is a treat to watch. This is one of the films that writers study when they are thinking what they can put into their film to make it crude, rude and raunchy. This should be a must see!

9 out of 10

I'm PROUD to be a nerd

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
9 May 2005

I first saw "Revenge of the Nerds" when I was ten (that's right, ten). Some people at school had been making fun of me, calling me a nerd. After I saw "ROTF", I was finally proud to call myself a nerd (albeit not one who wears glasses, has buck teeth, and has his pant legs halfway up his calves).

It's especially great that the nerds were such a diverse group of people (Booger may have been gross, but he clearly had a brain).

And there's also an interesting thing about the cast. Robert Carradine must be the only person who has co-starred with both Jane Fonda (he played the brother in "Coming Home") and with the guy who played Booger. And I never realized that Stan was played by the same guy who played Roger on "Happy Days".

So, if you're any kind of individual who has spent his/her life getting bullied, this is the movie for you!

Great fun. Up there with "Animal House"

Author: dead_parrot from A Place of No Consequence
3 January 2004

This movie is very, very good. What more can I say? I mean, it's terribly funny and creative. It's one of those really enjoyable "feel-good" movies like "Dumb and Dumber" that you can really enjoy and laugh at. Many of the stars of this movie, who were relatively unknown at the time this was made, went on to have excellent careers, and I can see why. I recommend this to everybody, except for those who do not like to laugh.

My brief review of the film

Author: sol- from Perth, Australia
28 May 2005

Although it may be all a bit silly and quite clichéd, this is nevertheless a good film of its type, with main characters that are appealing and a great title song, scored by Thomas Newman, who would later compose the scores of movies such as 'American Beauty'. The film does not really go anywhere much at all, the jokes work only about half the time, and it is all a bit short on its content, but despite all of this, the film has a pleasant and rather enjoyable nature not common to the average college comedy, and this makes it a rather uniquely likable film overall. It may not be a great piece of cinema, but it is quite good entertainment.

Still a very funny movie.

Author: jeffman52001 from Normal, IL, USA
19 September 2004

I think this movie is still one of the funniest movies of the 1980's and today.Robert Carradine as Lewis Skonick and Anthony Edwards as Gilbert Lowell are awesome.

The movie really shows that being a nerd is a great thing,I believe that if you have intelligence, don't be ashamed of yourself, this movie deals with being bullied cause of not being beautiful. The nerds who join together,form their fraternity, Lambda Lambda Lambda, fight back against the Alpha Betas, the jock fraternity, and come out on top.

The other cast members Curtis Armstrong (Better Off Dead and One Crazy Summer) as Booger is so awesome, Brian Tochi as Toshiro Takashi, Timothy Busfield (Thirtysomething) as Arnold Poindexter, Larry B. Scott (SuperForce)as Lamar Latrell, the gay nerd, Andrew Casesse as Harold Wormser, the youngest nerd of them all. Ted McGinley (Happy Days, Love Boat, and Married With Children) as Alpha Beta leader Stan Gable, Donald Gibb (Jocks and Amazon Women On The Moon) as Ogre, David Wohl as Dean Ulich, Bernie Casey as U.N. Jefferson, Julia Montgomery (Up The Creek)a s Betty Childs, Michelle Meyrink (Real Genius and The Outsiders) as Judy, they all give great performances in the film. John Goodman of Roseanne plays the mean Coach Harris, he is awesome in the movie too. James Cromwell( Babe, Star Trek First Contact, and L.A. Confidential) as Mr. Skolnick, Lewis's nerdy father is funny.

The nerds fought for themselves and won the Nerd Revolution against the beautiful people, they gained control of The Greek Council. For all of the beautiful people out there, time has come for "Revenge Of The Nerds". I give this movie 2 thumbs up and a 10/10 stars.

I have the soundtrack to this movie, I recommend getting the soundtrack, it is awesome.

An Instant Classic for the Underdog in All of Us...

Author: Isaac5855 from United States
5 December 2005

The ultimate "Misfits Revenge" movie, REVENGE OF THE NERDS became an instant classic in 1984, with some of the most memorable scenes and quotable dialogue since YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN. This raunchy comedy follows a group of oddball college students who are thrown together by circumstance and exposed to constant humiliation and ridicule by the jock fraternity on campus and how they get their ultimate pay back. Yes, the film is predictable as they come as we've seen this formula a million times, but it's watchable thanks to some wonderful set pieces, outrageous dialogue and on target performances by Robert Carradine, Anthony Edwards, Curtis Armstrong (memorable as Booger), John Goodman, Ted McGinley (no that is not a misprint), Larry B. Scott, and Timothy Busfield. Standout scenes include the "Wonder Joint" Party and the Lamda's musical performance during the big Olympic competition. A hilarious comedy that demands repeated viewings.

A decent feel-good film with an all-star cast.

Author: Oleanderr (bluethunder35@hotmail.com) from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
16 December 2003

Revenge Of The Nerds came out during the 1980-86 R-rated teen flick bonanza that was coming out of Hollywood. While this one is much milder than some of the others, it does have it's moments of raunchiness.

The story is simple: two young men are attending Adams University; but find out quickly that their type (the gawky, glasses wearing, intellectuals) are treated like nobodies. In fact, any male who isn't a jock or a WASP isn't even allowed to live in the dorms. A group of "misfits" including the two main characters Lewis and Gilbert are forced to live in the gym. They do find accommodations but they continue to suffer humiliation and embarrassment from the Alpha Betas. And so, like in the title of the movie, they get REVENGE.

This is a movie that certainly can't be made today. Affirmative Action certainly would be in place to disallow discrimination on college campuses. The "villains" make fun of anyone who isn't like them. Still, when it's all said and done the film sends out a message that you should be proud of yourself and how you look and not let anybody tell you otherwise.

Yes, as an 80's film you'll see every requisite of the decade, but you'll also see something that's a portent of the future. The Nerds raid the women's dorm so they can cause a distraction so others can install cameras in the bedrooms and showers so they can be spied on. That has become very popular on the 'Net.

As for the cast: Oh my! You'll never see this intriguing mix too often. Like in Freaky Friday, you'll see a lot of actors who made it big on T.V.

Ted McGinley - The leader of the Alpha Betas. He's been on a zillion T.V. shows. I always thought he was more of a nerd than jock.

John Goodman - Head coach of the football team. He looked so lean. Along with Roseanne; he's a superb supporting actor in major motion pictures but a weak lead actor.

Anthony Edwards - Gilbert Lowell. Dr. Mark Greene on ER. Considered a heartthrob during those years.

Robert Carradine - Lewis Skolnick. Member of the Carradine acting family.

Timothy Busfield - Poindexter. Elliot Weston on "thitysomething".

Matt Salinger - Danny Burke. The son of "The Catcher In The Rye" writer J.D. Salinger.

Curtis Armstrong - Booger. Remember him from Moonlighting?

Even James Cromwell makes a brief appearance as Lewis' father.

As for the comments of Julie Montgomery's beauty; sure she's beautiful. Especially if you like the Kate Moss, Calista Flockhart, J. Cynthia Brooks, Paris Hilton, Samia Ghattas, etc. skin and bones body. I don't, myself.

All in all, this is still a good film that does its job. Just avoid the sequels. None of them are good and lack the bite of the first film.

The only worthy successor to Animal House – this is a oasis in a desert of rubbish frat movies

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
6 July 2002

When Louis and Gilbert head to college they think it'll all be different from high school. However they are branded nerds and, when the jocks burn their own dorm down, the nerds find themselves kicked out and forced to sleep in the gym. When the nerds form their own chapter of the Tri-Lam fraternity. When they are bullied continually they decide to take matters into their own hands and fight back with the Jock's own games.

If there's one genre in the world that I hate it's the American college jock/nerd comedy. Whether it be the Animal House or Porky's or more modern ones – I hate almost all of them! So when I watched this I watched it with a certain fear. However the plot makes redresses the balance by having us support the nerds! It's well plotted so that it isn't just them becoming just like the jocks but instead learning their own lessons. Of course it is rude at times and does fall into being just silly and slapstick, but it's mixed nicely with some good sentiment and more gentle laugh.

The cast is great (in retrospect). Anthony Edwards is a real surprise in this post-ER time. Likewise Busfield is strange after 30-something and West Wing. Less so but Moonlighting's Curtis Armstrong is funny to see. And lets not forget James Cromwell (or Jamie as he was called then!), John Goodman and black 1970's star Bernie Casey! The nerds are all good – rising above their caricatures to start to bring out characters.

Overall this is a spin on the frat-comedy so it is a little juvenile and silly but the fact that it is spun towards the nerds makes it that little bit refreshing to watch compared to so many where our `heroes' are arrogant, annoying jock-types who sponge off mummy and daddy just to get drunk at college. Not a great movie but much better than anything else post-Animal House - I'm with the nerds!

I will always love this movie!

Author: craigman from United States
11 May 2006

I don't understand why this movie is rated only a 6. It is far superior to most of the comedies from around the same time and a lot of comedies from recent years. It holds up today amazingly well. Most comedies from the 80's kind of lose their charm over the years. I saw this again recently with my wife (she had never seen it), and she loved it and I laughed just as much as I did before. It's not just a mindless college sex romp like Porky's. It had some intelligence and a lot of heart. It was also refreshingly politically incorrect and raunchy. There are some truly unforgettable characters, like Booger and Lamar. The Asian guy was really funny too. Also, the child prodigy. There were lots of funny, quotable lines, and tons of hilarious scenes, like the party scene. The talent show performance was a moment in history. The end was truly touching. This movie is a classic. It's up there with "Airplane", "Weird Science", and "There's Something About Mary". You don't have to be a nerd to love it! Anybody that didn't like this movie is NOT someone I'd want to associate with.

Revenge of the 80's: The franchise film series.

Author: Miyagis_Sweaty_wifebeater (sirjosephu@aol.com) from Sacramento, CA
8 July 2004

Revenge of the Nerds (1984) was a surprise hit. The film follows the adventures of two "nerds" as they go to college and try to join a fraternity. Oh the trials and tribulations they go through. Robert Carradine and Anthony Edwards are the two "nerds"who do everything they can to try and fit in with the rest of the college crowd.

This one is the first and best of the series. They should have left well enough alone. But since this was made during the 80's, a mandatory sequel was made. I recommend this movie. It's entertaining and worth watching. But like all 80's movies

it has to have a message. That's my only real complaint about the movie. A funny film none the less. Just avoid the rest of the series.

Worth a view.