IMDb > Repo Man (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Repo Man

Repo Man More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 16: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Looking for the joke with a microscope!

Author: supersalsantos from London
20 October 2002

Just the best white trash, punk rock, sci-fi movie of all-time, a deliberately nonsensical '50s B-movie style plot played out in a dysfunctional, suburban LA of no prospects, dead-end jobs and petty crime with a superb rock'n'roll soundtrack featuring the likes of Iggy Pop, Black Flag, The Plugz and The Circle Jerks. And if that ain't enough, it's even got Harry Dean Stanton spouting truly memorable lines like, "Ordinary f***ing people. I hate 'em!"

Intense!

I Blame Society!

Author: R Becker
18 March 2002

Some movies just define people's lives and thoughts. For me, REPO MAN is such a film. It's got a worldview that is absurd, scary and funny all at once -- it's got characters spouting the same nonsense that people in blue-collar jobs really say all day (and I speak from experience here!). "You know where I'm gonna be when it all comes down? Goin' north on this highway at 120 per..." (Or words to that effect.) It's the darker side of the same world (and producer) as TAPEHEADS (another great movie from the '80s), and if you see it, you might never be the same again. Unless you were just like that to start with.

Staple film of my high school and college years in late Eighties

Author: duanewinner
23 July 2001

I love this movie. Great social satire of 1980's America. I would have given this movie 9 or even 10 stars except that it starts to fall apart from a loose story and sloppy editing at the end.

What a Cult Classic

Author: ivolpi from Lawrenceville, Georgia
10 February 2001

I thought this movie was going to be a bomb but turned out to be a favorite. I really enjoyed this cult classic. Emilio Esteves is quite funny in this as otto. I enjoyed Harry Dean Stanton's role as otto's old cocaine addict partner. He was a trip.

The more ya drive, the less intelligent you are

Author: Shawn (shawn822@austin.rr.com) from Austin, Texas US of A
31 August 2000

Wow! I first saw this movie on A&E when I was 16, and I have yet to shut up about it. I cannot explain to the uninitiated what a brilliant film this is. It is the story of a bored punk, repo men, aliens and a Chevy Malibu...and the "Lattice of coincidence" that beautifully drapes the piece. The best part of the movie is certainly the odd cast of characters,

Otto-the smart mouthed punk looking for something to do, Bud-Otto's mentor and one who fully embraces the repo man lifestyle, Lite-he's a baaaad man, Kevin-Otto's nerdy pal who aspires to godhood via a fry cook position, Miller-The junkyard philosopher whose pearls of wisdom bewilder Otto and anger his co-workers. This movie must be seen by EVERYONE!!!!!!! You'll quote it for the rest of your life, and you'll never figure out what it's really about. Walk, don't run and get the DVD. I give this movie my highest praises!

1980's cult classic with an awesome punk rock soundtrack

Author: Space Oddity_2001
23 August 2000

Alex Cox's 1984 cult hit is an entertaining mix of social satire and existentialism. Emilio Estevez plays Otto, a disillusioned punker who meets Bud, the head repo man in his local Californian town. Bud played by Harry Dean Stanton ranks among his best performances. He shows Otto the trade of car reposessing, meanwhile a lobotomized scientist is beingtracked by the U.S. Government who want to find out what the mysterious entity is in the truck of his car. Fun escapism from start to finish and a great punk rock soundtrack including Black Flag, Suicial Tendencies, Iggy Pop and the Circle Jerks who make an amusing cameo in the film.

Great Cult Film

Author: (necron1999@hotmail.com)
16 February 2000

The wonderful juxtaposition of modern urban hopelessness mixed with the absurdity of the whole "alien in the trunk" affair is a tonic for the river of crap that flows from Hollywood today.

I've seen Repo Man countless times and I never tire of the disenchanted, yet determined crew of washed-up repo men or the great one-liners ("A repo man is ALWAYS intense").

Maybe it's a good thing that movies this great only come out every 20 years or so.

One of the best movies ever made!

Author: Rayvyn from Oakland, CA USA
16 October 1999

I saw this movie back in 1985 on cable. I never saw it in it's theatrical release but it is a great movie. The movie seeks to entertain and make fun of the world in the early 80's. It has some of the most unforgetable scenes and lines of any movie I've seen. I can't forget the scene where the guy says "The life of a Repo Man is always intense!" I love how Otto's parents are couch potatoes who send money to TV preachers. I like when they guy says that driving makes you less intelligent. Most of all I like the very last part of the movie. It's so weird you have to love it! So see this movie! Buy it, rent it or steal it if you have to!

Punk sci-fi comedy with a killer soundtrack!

Author: John Demeter from Jamaica Plain, MASS
2 September 1999

Ah, the punk "Strangelove"! What a trip...I remember going back to the Nickelodeon Theater to see it again and again with friends during its first few weeks of theatrical release. A marvelous cast, a soundtrack to die for ("Nobody ever called Pablo Picasso an asshole!"), some great satiric turns (from the frequently-cited store food shelves to the central conceit of 'trying to recycle nuclear waste') mark this as a cult favorite for many, but a small film with a big heart and an even bigger bite! Two toes up!

Magical Surrealism

Author: Dwill from Washington, USA
28 May 1999

A movie that shouldn't work, but does, even if it doesn't know what it's about. A mishmash of resonant nonsense and sly satire, like "Rocky Horror Picture Show" it exists in a magically bizarre universe all its own. Personally, I couldn't care less for the plot, such as it is. It's little bits of business that are almost purely throwaway that I remember best: Estevez cowering as Sy Richardson, blank-loaded gun in hand, tells him, "Get in the car, white boy."; Stanton saying, "My credit is spotless," and discoursing on the Code of the Repo Man (lifted from Isaac Asimov's robotic "laws"); Olivia Barash's squeal as she and Estevez tumble into the back seat of a car. (Wish I could remember every detail, but I haven't seen this movie in a dozen years or more.)