IMDb > Repo Man (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Repo Man

Repo Man More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 16: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

a chicken hangin out on a hook

Author: snowboarderbo from Las Vegas....baby!
23 February 2005

I'm listenin to iggy scream as i write this.... just finished watchin this movie for like the zillionth time... it's still awesome, not a dull or boring minute in it... great visuals, awesome acting (Emilio, this was yer finest moment, bro), amazingly wacky script/story all done with aplomb thanks to the talents of senor alex cox...

this film is now over 20 years old and still seems as weird and as relevant and as weirdly relevant now as it did then. if anything the times call for more alienation and this movie is downright spooky under the blacklight scrutiny of modern times ya know what i'm sayin

one of my favorite movies :D it can't be turned off once it's begun

A VERY "odd couple"

Author: pwoods1 from Adelaide, South Australia
30 August 2004

This is one of those cult movies that others aspire to make but never manage to duplicate. The "odd couple-(ing)" of Harry Dean Stanton and Emilio Estevez forms one of the best partnerships to hit the screen. Almost a disfunctional father-son relationship which gets better with each viewing!

It has an excellent and moody soundtrack which mirrors "Paris, Texas", another whimsical Stanton vehicle. It does, however, contain more bizarre characters and situations than "Paris", and therein lies its charm and staying-power. Outside "The X-Files", where else will you find such a collection of conspiracy themes complete with religious wackos and deviate personalities? On top of everything else, there is the constant theme of the repo men operating on an almost surreal level of intensity. One perceives that, perhaps,(outside of his direction) this is Alex Cox's major contribution to the script: almost a docudrama feel to the lives and times of the repo dudes.

Enjoy it as a weird experience, but also enjoy it as a piece of Absurdist Theatre worthy of Ionesco or Beckett. Yes, I think it is THAT good. Go learn how to repossess a car and thwart the powers-that-be at the same time! Be an outlaw in the badlands of consumer debt. Live on the edge.

"Easy Rider" for the punk rock generation.

Author: el_nickster from Washington, DC USA
8 March 2004

"Repo Man" is the quintessential 1980s cult movie.

This movie is really a series of vignettes, loosely connected to a search for a renegade government nuclear scientist and his 1967 Chevy Malibu. The scientist has stolen the bodies of dead aliens from a government research facility, and hidden them in the trunk of the car. The Malibu thus has supernatural (albeit lethal) powers, and is sought by many parties.

Emilio Estevez plays an aimless punk rock kid, forced to take a lousy job as a repo man when his parents give their life savings to a new-age televangelist. This film satirizes the bland conformity that dominated the 1980s, although it places a variety of colorful "underground" characters in contrast to the dull and souless commercial landscape.

As Harry Dean Stanton says: "Ordinary people. I hate them. You see Otto, ordinary people spend their lives avoiding tense situations. A repo man spends his life getting into tense situations."

So, check it out if you want a droll comedy that ridicules the militarism, conformity, consumerism, fundamentalism, and cold-war mentality of the 1980s. I loved this movie in high school, and often regret that Emilio Estevez never did more with his acting career (how his less talented brother Charlie Sheen grabbed the limelight from Emilio is beyond me... maybe because Emilio had the guts to keep a latino surname).

Its the greatest movie ever seen.

Author: nuno from portugal
6 April 2003

Repo man is my number 1 movie in my favorite´s list, so logically i have to recommend it to everybody, that just like me, loves to see a 80s punk cult movie in its best. Its a classical movie full of bizarre humor and made with ideas from the outside world that we don´t understand the first time we see them, so thats why i already saw the movie about 30 times (really). This movie show us all a lot of attitudes to take in live, its the best movie ever.

The life of a Repo Man is always intense

Author: Tiger_Mark from The Great Wide Open
8 October 2002

One of the all time great cult classics and still to this day, the only good movie ever made by Emilio Estevez. The story revolves around Otto, a misguided punk living in the Reagan '80's, vainly in search of a job and a life. His desperation leads him to take a job as a repo man. With the guidance of several other drunken and disturbed repo men, he just might have a chance. Great punk score and an appearance from the Circle Jerks. The 1980's at its best!

A True Gem

Author: tedgyz from Nashua, NH
5 August 2002

In the ocean of indy movies there sometimes comes a diamond in the rough. Such is the cheesy praise I give a movie that exudes cheese.

I have to say I got into this movie via the album. A friend turned me on to the soundtrack, so of course, I had to watch the movie. What a treat to have a soundtrack that can actually be heard in the movie. The music and the movie were way ahead of their time and still are. Thus, it stands as a cult classic. It is hard to classify: sci-fi? action? drama? comedy? All of the above.

You have to watch this movie many times to catch the one-liners and subtle humor. You definitely have to be the right type of person to like this movie - uptite personalities need not apply.

With that said - watch Repo Man. It is to Cyber-Punk what Pulp Fiction is to Cops 'n Robbers.

Lonely is the man without a car

Author: bobc-5 from Silver Spring, MD
8 July 2002

Repo Man is a movie created to wake you from the slumber of everyday routine and leave you looking at the world a little differently then you had before. Repo Man is also the only film which I can watch over and over again yet never find even a single moment of it to have become mundane or tedious through the repetition. But having to try to describe what makes Repo Man so good, or even what it's really about, is extremely difficult because the things Repo Man does can only be done through the medium of film - and this, of course, is part of what makes it such an outstanding accomplishment.

Repo Man is basically a post-modern urban-setting western. Repo Men are cowboys, rugged individualists with a code of honor. They work hard and they play harder. The desolate landscape they ride in is not the American West, but a modern society which has been completely dumbed down by the irresistible lure of the least common denominator. Ordinary people, like Otto's parents, are just inanimate objects in that landscape. They cling to whichever leader provides a simplistic faith or belief that promises to give meaning and purpose to their existence. The Repo Men are a vanishing breed of rugged individualists in a world increasingly dedicated to instant gratification and mass consumption, or perhaps they're the pioneers of a new frontier, trying to discover how to maintain their spiritual independence in this harsh new landscape.

All of this is made possible because the film achieves such a high level of excellence in all aspects of film-making. The landscape, so important a part of any western, is brilliantly depicted through the integration of sight, sound, music, and action. Attention and creativity are lavished on even the smallest details. Don't be fooled, however, by the comfort of having a code to live by. The honor and integrity of these cowboys is just a shallow illusion, and you're missing the point if you believe that salvation lies with the Repo Men or in a whacked-out homeless man developing a special rapport with aliens. There is no salvation other than just staying awake and trying to see things for what they really might be.

Most hilarious and underrated film of its decade

Author: (njrice1@netscape.net)
15 July 2001

This film is extraordinary, and it has been overlooked by the public and critics alike. The real story is the dialogue and the interaction between Otto and Bud. Everything else, albeit terrific, is secondary. Bud's observations and notions of what is right and wrong with humanity are in some cases exactly correct, and at other times idealized. He is dead-on when he preaches that good credit is the foundation of free society. In another scene he elaborates on how he hates "ordinary f*ing people" because they avoid tense situations. Later on, he wonders why people don't car-pool. But his naivete shows through when he claims that all repo men live by the code, while the entire rest of the film is a depiction of repo men engaging in everything but living by the code. Yet it's his own adherence to the code that keeps him going. Bud obviously believes that if everyone just paid their bills, the world would be nearly perfect.

The perfectly-hilarious scenes in Repo Man are too numerous to list. The language is more colorful than a group of ten-year-olds who just learned how to swear. The secondary characters are perfect as well. The John Wayne discussion was brilliant - I've never seen anything like it on film. Equally funny was the scene where Otto is recruited into the ranks of the repo men. After Otto pours a beer on the floor of the office, another repo man enters the room and wonders who pissed on the floor again, implying that it wasn't the first time this had happened. Bud praises Otto for his audacity and hires him on the spot.

This film is simply the best appearance ever for Emilio Estevez. I only wish that I could discuss it and re-watch it with a larger audience.

The greatest cinematic achievement of all time

Author: Jay Furr (jfurr@furrs.org) from Richmond, VT
3 May 2000

Repo Man is beyond a shadow of a doubt the greatest cinematic achievement of all time. I have probably watched my videotape six hundred or seven hundred times, and each time, I discovered new reasons to love the movie. Emilio Estevez captures the angst of a mid-80's white suburban punk perfectly, while Harry Dean Stanton was robbed when he wasn't even nominated for his noirish portrayal of a jaded, but dedicated, older car repossession agent. The aliens in the trunk, the Rodriguez Brothers, and Agent Rogersz are simply icing on the cake.

My all-time fave movie

Author: Janne§ from Helsinki
3 July 2004

I saw this movie on television a year or two after it came out. That would be sometime in the mid-80's and I was around 9 years old. I was immediately mesmerized by this film's cool, zany atmosphere, the great music and the streetwise but also completely off-the-wall story. Ever since, I've seen this movie dozens of times. I've seen the English version with the "there isn't a repo man that doesn't take speed" scene, the American version with the scene where Otto smashes the pay phone. I've seen it dubbed in Spanish, Portuguese and German. And now I finally have it on DVD and I watch it every two months or so.

I never get tired of this movie. I've seen it so many times over the years that it's become a part of who I am. I know most of the film's fantastic dialogue by heart, and the last time I watched it (I was pretty drunk after coming home after a night out) I found myself singing along to the stupid 7-Up advertising jingle that Kevin sings in the beginning.

Because of this film, Harry Dean Stanton is my favorite actor. Repo Man is also the only good movie Emilio Estevez has ever been in.

If you are unlucky enough to not have seen this movie yet, please do yourself a favor and see it as soon possible. But before you do... C'MON, LET'S GO GET A DRINK !!