IMDb > Repo Man (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 11 of 15: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Entertaining sci-fi weirdfest

Author: paulieramone (paulieramone@hotmail.com) from Coventry, England
4 February 2004

Recently I purchased this movie on DVD and only then I realised how good it was. The script is witty and funny, the main characters acting ie Otto (Estevez) and Bud (Stanton), is well above average even though the parts aren't really that challenging and the special effects are goofy and look low budget but still work very well.

Otto is a teenage punk full of angst and annoyed that his life is going nowhere and he is stuck in a crappy job in a supermarket. He loses this at the start of the film and wanders around through parties and nights where there is alot of beer and the punk music plays loud. This is until he meets Bud and becomes a repo man and gets dragged in to a world of crazy scientists, crime and aliens in the boot of a 1964 Chevy Malibu. All this may sound weird but somehow seems to make sense in the movie as a whole.

There are some great lines such as "John Wayne was a fag" and "Let's go get sushi... and not pay" which bring huge laughs. This film has everything to be honest, comedy, shootouts, love, sex, flying cars etc. I recommend this

movie to everybody.

Great Music, Funny side jokes

Author: JohnnyLoad from Los Angeles
9 January 2004

This movie is a cult classic because it had great side jokes that you have to watch for; for example: the blue label food, the reocurring car freshners, the book of "Diarelicts", the TV evangelist, and whoever would of thought up alien bodies in a 64 Impala? Great, watchable, very hip film. This was when Emilio Estevez was cool. This was when punks were the "gangstas" of their time.

Comedic Anarchy... A great film indeed

Author: Bronis from Pottstown, PA
6 April 2003

The sheer zany atmosphere and attitude on display in REPO MAN is

exhilarating. The film has no real plot yet it's hilarious, unpredictable and very hard to classify. One of my all time favorites because it's got style, big laughs, an intelligent social commentary and great music. Captures the mid-80's punk scene well. Director Alex Cox never had a directorial effort this strong since. Certainly not for all tastes, yet see it and judge for yourself.

"Let's go get a DRINK!"

**** out of ****

one of the weirdest yet my best movies of all time!

Author: kamacneil from halifax, novascotia, canada
13 November 2002

When I first saw the movie in 1984, I thought that it was super weird. After watching it 100 times(exaggeration) it grew to be my favorite movie. There isn't a version that I have not seen yet, however I am sure there are. I found that the story line was all over the place, in every version. You kind of have to piece all of the versions together, to see the whole movie. I think that I must of seen it so many times, that I know all of the scenes off by heart. This is an all time classic.

A Reel Gem

Author: Michael McDermott (mmcdermott@charter.net) from Mineral Point, WI
19 September 2002

Only people lacking the gene that imparts a sense of humor would not like this movie. This unassuming little movie skewers the movie industry, tough guys, product placement, fashion, religion, science fiction and most people's funny bones. Although not for everyone's taste, it is packed with more than enough to engage the attention of most 3rd graders, but will really appeal to the intelligent, satiric, and literate in the population.

RepoMan is a way to learn that life is not to be taken seriously

Author: (nper@hol.gr) from Athens, Greece
23 June 2000

I've seen the film numerous times. I love it how the hero's adventures pass through the activities of a very normal life (a meaningless job, delinquent friends, loneliness) to lead him not to despair and frustration like some of us, but to the discovery of alien life and a night flight with a self driven glowing car.

It's not pernicious nonsense

Author: TheDwarf from Los Angeles
29 April 1999

Anybody that knows me knows that I only love two things. Twin Peaks and Repo Man. When you think about it, they are lovable for many of the same reasons. Fantastic dialogue, brilliant acing, offbeat characters, etc. Repo Man is a film that not many people in the "mainstream" appreciate. When we watched the film in English class, everybody but my friends and me were asleep. One even commented that it was the worst film they had ever seen. Hyperbole? Maybe, but I took comfort in knowing that I was intellectually superior to he, for I appreciated a quality film. It is not meant for a mainstream audience because it attacks mainstream life. It is a f***ing brilliant piece of art, and when I die I want the entire 'plate of shrimp' speech engraved on my tombstone. GENIUS

Mondo Bizarro!

Author: DeeDee-10 from San Francisco
17 February 1999

Punk Emilio (Otto) knocks heads with a group of nutso characters from dopers, stick-up men (and women), spaced-out Jesus freaks, the homeless, the poor slobs who aren't making their car payments, and the wacky staff at Helping Hand, the repo company. The only way out of this mess for Otto, who has nothing to lose, is to dive into the next journey on his path to nowhere, which he does at the end of the film in a most amazing way. Interesting soundtrack; listen carefully.

"Repo Man is ALWAYS intense!"

Author: LawnBoy-4 from Denver
10 January 1999

What a truly classic cult film!!! This is one of those films which will produce one of two results: Either you will laugh until you cry or you just won't care for the humor. Needless to say, I laughed myself senseless.

Emilio Estevez is perfect as Otto, the street punk who stumbles across a job repossessing cars. While his parents give his college money to a televangelist cult & subsequently rot away on the family couch in front of the TV, Otto makes his way through a sea of bizarre characters en route to his destiny.

Harry Dean Stanton is pure genius. In fact, he almost steals the show with his intentionally over-the-top dialogue and eccentricity.

There are many, many quirks in this film, so keep your eyes and ears open. Pay special attention to the packaged food in the convenience store.

Not a film for everyone, but a must for those who enjoy good, bizarre humor.

A gloriously demented cult classic.

Author: theskulI42 from Denver, CO
15 December 2008

"Ever been to Utah? Ra-di-a-tion. Yes, indeed. You hear the most outrageous lies about it. Half-baked goggle-box do-gooders telling everybody it's bad for you. Pernicious nonsense. Everybody could stand a hundred chest X-rays a year!" Well, as they say, "when it rains". After going six months without a single top 300 entry, I have now seen two in a week.

A deliriously demented film that was a cult classic the moment it hit the street, Repo Man is a film so memorable that it's tempting to just start naming off characters and occurrences, but instead, I'm put it in the form of a review: Emilio Estevez plays Otto, a rebellious young punk who in his opening sequence, is getting fired from his job as a stockboy for mouthing off and attacking a coworker. One day, Otto gets unwittingly drafted into helping a man name Bud repossess a car, and from there, everything goes to sh-t. Angry old ladies, skinhead criminals, government agents, alien conspiracies and even crazy rival repo hombres float through as Otto floats through, amused and bemused, and occasionally terrified. Soon, a $20,000 commission comes up on the docket for anyone who can obtain a certain Chevy Malibu. This car becomes the crux of the film, and changes hands several times, including by rival reposessors, criminal thugs, and even his own co-workers.

The film's scenes of repossesion document all the usual risks and dangers of the trade. He gets yelled at, spit on, assaulted and even shot at. He meets tough, cynical co-workers and thanks to one meeting in a repo'd car, even acquires a girlfriend. But if this was all the film presented, it would be a good film, yes, but it would definitely not get the accolades I'm giving it. No, the film has something else up its sleeve, and it is in fact given prominence in the opening scene. Somewhere on the shoulder of the California highway system, a one-eyed man in an eyepatch named J. Frank Parnell is driving the aforementioned Malibu that apparently has something that can...vaporize people in the trunk. Otto becomes very familiar with this car as well as people looking for its occupants before the film reaches its conclusion. On their first meeting, his girlfriend shows him a picture of what is apparently four dead aliens, and he drops her off at the United Fruitcake Organization, which is led by a woman named "Rogersz" with a metal arm. He also has several run-ins with some larcenous acquaintances of his, a group of ruffians who rob and assault several people and places throughout the film, and have some of the film's funniest lines ("Let's go do some crimes!").

Whoops, there I go just listing happenings again. Let's talk about the acting. The young Emilio Estevez (who has been airbrushed to death on the DVD's cover) is great, an ordinary teenager putting on a tough front, and his performance lets us KNOW it's a front, and makes us love him anyway. Harry Dean Stanton made a career out of doing roles like this (and in fact, had a hell of a year in '84, also starring in one of the few films better than this, the masterful Paris, Texas) and provides exactly what you want from him. The rest of the cast is a glorious motley crew of hard-luck character actors, from Sy Richardon, Tom Finnegan and the brilliant Tracey Walter in the repo office, Olivia Barash as the adorable cultist, Jennifer Balgobin, Michael Sandoval and especially Dick Rude as the young punks, and Fox Harris, one of the best weirdos of the '80s, proving his worth here as the one-eyed driver of the Malibu everyone's so interested in.

The film strings itself along by vacillating between these two poles, the grounded real dangers of the repossession trade, and the mysterious supernatural threats pertaining to the government agencies, the extraterrestrial organization, and the car whose contents can decimate a human body, leaving only their smoldering shoes. The direction is fine, the acting is a blast, the pacing is scrumtrilescent, the storyline is whacked in the best way possible, and it's a film I just can't imagine someone with a taste for the absurd who couldn't like Repo Man, and as its 6.8 on the IMDb can attest, I find it sad that people can dislike it at all.

Let's have a moment of silence for White Heat. Repo Man, welcome to the top 300.

{Grade: 9/10 (A-) / #4 (of 25) of 1984 / #264 of all time}