IMDb > Police Academy (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Police Academy

Police Academy More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Revenge of the 80's: The franchise film!

Author: Miyagis_Sweaty_wifebeater ( from Sacramento, CA
9 January 2005

Police Academy (1984) was the first of many films from this series. Since this was the 80's and this film was very successful there was only one alternative, milk the cash cow until it was dry. Like most of these films, the first one is the best and most creative of the bunch. The film follows a bunch of losers and outcasts who join the local police academy for various reasons. The main character is Mahoney (played by Steve Guttenberg) a man with a shady past who enrolls in the academy as an alternative punishment for a previous criminal act. He becomes the motley crew's leader and representative.

This movie made Guttenberg a star and it started a film series that would live on D.T.V. and make the producers a lot of money. It also gave people jobs and made others into minor stars. I found this movie to be very entertaining. If you're into juvenile humor and a bunch of cheap laughs, then I recommend this movie. Others need not apply. Followed by six sequels!!

Recommended for some laughs and low brow humor. Hey, it's one of the essentials.

This shows that movies can be stupid and funny at the same time.

Author: Lee Eisenberg ( from Portland, Oregon, USA
29 September 2005

Okay, so "Police Academy" is probably the ultimate manifestation of the word "witless". But it doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is: nice, silly fun. The plot basically has a series of goof-off misfits enrolling in the police force and turning it topsy-turvy. Steve Guttenberg, as Cadet Carey Mahoney, may have to remember this as his peak in movies, and he does a pretty good job here.

Anyway, the movie is pretty much an excuse to be silly. And they do just that. With hilarious one-liners and one gag after another, you won't be disappointed. Of course, I advise you not to watch it if you're the type who only wants to see "important" movies.

A classic of 80's

Author: kurciasbezdalas from Lithuania
11 October 2008

I don't understand why this movie has such a low rating on IMDb (right now it's 6.1, that isn't so bad but this movie deserves more). It's a classic comedy which is still funny even after 20 years. It always elate me. Jokes are pretty simple and even innocent compared to nowadays movies but that's probably what's good about this film because it's funny to watch to whole family. You'll fall in love with a characters and this movie itself so much that every time you'll hear a theme of Police Academy it will make you smile. If you haven't watched it yet you definitely have to do it because they don't make this kind of movies anymore.

A laugh riot!

Author: jhaggardjr from Chicago, Illinois
26 April 2000

During my spring break in 1984, I went up to Michigan to see some of my relatives. One day while I was up there I went to see "Police Academy" with my mom, my grandma, and a cousin. Before we saw this, I remembered Chicago Sun-Times film critic Roger Ebert gave this movie no stars. I also remembered Ebert reviewing this movie on his show "At The Movies" with his late partner Gene Siskel (this was before their show went nationwide and was retitled "Siskel & Ebert"). Ebert summed up "Police Academy" in one short sentence: "IT IS BAD!!!" And Siskel agreed with him. But I went to see this movie anyway and to this day I'm glad that I did. "Police Academy" made me laugh my head off. After the movie was over I said it was the funniest movie since "Airplane!" This movie was so funny I went to see it a second time over Memorial Day weekend 1984 with a friend of mine here in Chicago. "Police Academy" still makes me laugh to this day. It's too bad the sequels didn't live up to this, the original. The second, third, and fourth movies in the series were marginally funny. The fifth and sixth movies were less funny and the series started to wear out its welcome. I've never seen the seventh movie "Mission to Moscow" but I heard it's a stinker. So I'm sticking with the first movie because it's the funniest.

**** (out of four)

Guilty pleasure!

Author: LeRoyMarko from Toronto, Canada
5 April 2003

I don't know what got to me. This evening, I went to the video store and got this one. I first saw it back in the 80's. Now let's not go nuts and call this the best comedy of all times. But it's still a pretty decent one (or indecent if you prefer!). The movie is generally funny, the characters are likable, and it's filmed in Toronto! I was surprised to realize that with the first scene showing the Toronto skyline. Some scenes are very funny, especially the one with George Gaynes (Commandant Lassard). Ah! the podium scene! So funny! Pea-brain humor, but good pea-brain humor!

Out of 100, I gave it 71. That's good for ** out of ****.

Seen in Toronto, on April 5th, 2003.

Up the "Academy"...

Author: Mister-6 from United States
9 February 2000

Yep, this is the one that started it all. The right one to blame. "Police Academy" - never duplicated, countlessly imitated.

But before you go throwing any stones...this one is funny.

Yep, believe it or not, its joke success ratio is amazingly high. Is it because it's R-rated? That's a lot of it, but it also has a good pedigree.

Director/co-writer Wilson also created TV's "WKRP in Cincinnati", Israel and Proft have written "Bachelor Party" and some other funny stuff you may have heard of (they had a hand in the "Naked Gun" films).

And the cast, in this instance, is fresh! Guttenberg has seldom been better, nor has Cattrall (well, maybe except for "Porky's"), Gaynes, Bailey, Smith, Winslow or Easterbrook. There are a handful of good lines, more good scenes here than in any four of the sequels you can name and plenty more opportunity for good old raunchy "Animal House"-style guffaws.

You don't believe me? Think about the scene with the hooker (Spelvin) in the speaker's podium. Then think about the punch line ("Good speech."). You see? Ah, memories.

Take it from a hard-bitten veteran of the series. This is as good as it gets. You want to see a funny movie about cops? Register at your local "Police Academy".

Six stars, plus a star more for Guttenberg's final scene. Classic.

Put your mind in neutral and be entertained!

Author: John Foster from Australia
14 July 2005

This is a great movie for relaxing after a hard day at work. It's sheer escapism and good-humoured fun that only requires the watcher to put their mind in neutral, rest their feet, and not think too much.

A lot of the gags are not very original; we've seen most of them before in some other form. But the basic premise of a Police Academy full of misfits provides a novel context.

I've only seen this first movie of the series and don't really have plans to see any of the others. Can't believe they've made ssssssssooooo many sequels.

Too much Police Academy could certainly wear a bit thin, but first time around it's sheer good fun.

Bloody Good Fun

Author: mjw2305 from England
28 January 2005

A Group of Wannabe's and a Doesn't Wannabe, Carey Mahoney (Steve Guttenberg) Join the Police Academy in the hope of becoming respected members of the Police Force.

There's a problem, they are with out doubt the worst bunch of wannabe's the police academy has ever seen and Carey just can't wait to get kicked out, only being there because it was the only way he could avoid jail.

Some Truly Funny Moments and lots of memorable characters, this film is a bloody good romp, that should be enjoyed by most people.

Too bad the sequels generally sucked big time!

Very funny

Author: Christopher Gray from Belfast, N.Ireland
2 July 2002

It turns out that the mayor of a city is wanting to have a better Police force and so opens up a more spaces in the Police Academy so that more people may apply. It turns out that the new applicants are a bunch of losers, wackos, and other various people that just don't fit in.

The whole film is very funny. The characters are normal but very different making them look like complete misfits against each other. But the show is stolen by G.W. Bailey who plays the mean but brilliant Lieutenant Harris.

The movie is a very funny and promising film that is lots of fun. ****

Oh this one is a Scream....

Author: gazzo-2 from United States
25 August 2000

I loved this when it first came out...what's not to like-Rizzo from Mash's headlong flight...uh, at the horse there, the little accident prone guy's setting off a chain reaction by tossing an apple, Steve Guttenburg's goofy deadpan all throughout this, plus a scene involving George Grizzard and the Full Monica. You will also enjoy Bubba Smith's driving lessons.

Trust me. This one works, its funny, and its too bad the follow ups weren't as raunchy or original. Yeah you can fault it for being as subtle as the Three Stooges, but who cares? It's a hoot.

*** outta ****, makes me laugh and why not?

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]