IMDb > Love Leads the Way: A True Story (1984) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Love Leads the Way: A True Story (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A Movie Worth Seeing

Author: sol from Brooklyn NY USA
20 September 2003

Charming little movie about the founding of the Seeing-Eye program that began in the US in the early 1930's. With a touching performance by Timothy Bottoms as Morris Frank, the first blind person who was was given the task to prove that the program would work, and of course the German Shepard dog who played "Buddy" the first seeing-eye dog.

Holds your interests from beginning to end and leaves you feeling much better about there being good in the world then you thought there was before you saw the movie. Not exactly for young children, it's no Rin Tin Tin or Lassie film, but still one of the best dog or animal movies ever made and unlike most films about animals and people this movie is based on a true story which results, the Seeing Eye Program, are still with us today and bigger then ever.

The story of overcoming obstacles for the blind to use seeing eye dogs, and of the first seeing eye dog and the relationship with her handler

Author: debbysea from United States
7 October 2006

What a beautiful, loving movie! It's the story of a blind man's attempt to get legislation passed to allow seeing eye dogs into public places, like restaurants and offices--things that we, today, just take for granted. It has many sub-plots as well, though, like the relationship between Morris and his parents and between him and his fiancé. My favorite is the relationship that develops between Morris and Buddy. It shows the work that goes into training a dog to work with the blind, and makes us appreciate what these dogs are capable of. It's a "feel-good" movie--one that everyone who has ever loved a dog would appreciate.

Short

Author: ohenry97-1 from U.S.A.
23 April 2003

Great actor, great movie! Good story revealing a story both about a man and his dog, while also telling the story about the Seeing Eye Dog Program when it first was established. I recommend it!

Great, inspiring, movie

Author: calgal33 from United States
29 October 2010

Story of the first Service Guide Dogs in America.

When an insurance salesman (Timothy Bottoms) is blinded in a boxing accident, his world is turned upside down as he has trouble functioning in his sightless world. All seem hopeless until he learns of an innovative European project that trains dogs as guides for the blind. He explores the idea and decides to train for a dog. He eventually gets a guide dog, but soon learns that he is barred from taking his needed companion into transit vehicles and public buildings and businesses. With a newfound friend, he must fight to make the country recognize that those rules are unfair to him and his guide.

As a friend of one who is sight impaired I had looked for this movie on DVD forever. I had an old VHS, but it is wearing out. I found this on DVD at movielead dot com and was very happy with it. The story is truly one of the most inspiring I have ever seen.

another Disney treasure

Author: rebatickets from United States
22 August 2010

One of several true Disney classics, this story follows the life of a young man who suddenly goes from fit and independent to blind. I would like to point out upfront that he completely regains his independence, though never his sight. How? Through the Seeing Eye Dog program. But the movie doesn't stop there. If you're anything like me, you'll grieve with him when he loses his sight. Then you'll cringe when he walks into things. By following his story so closely, the movie realistically shows its audience how this young man coped with losing something he'd always had. His determination makes him the perfect candidate for the innovative Seeing Eye Dog program, and he travels clear to Europe where he trains for weeks with his dog, Buddy. What a team! Not at first, perhaps, but eventually and for good. Together they survive a car crash, prejudice, and years of working. And they fight. Thanks to them, legislation was passed that allowed service animals access to public transportation, restaurants, etc. True pioneers, in so many ways. I've always loved this movie, and have got one eye on the Disney website, waiting for it to come out on DVD. I shan't name titles, but I am confused as to why so many worthless titles are cluttering the shelves while this gem sits ignored, sparkling through the dust.