IMDb > Little House: The Last Farewell (1984) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Little House: The Last Farewell (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Loved Little House

Author: Sonya Woods from Hell
28 October 2001

I love Little House On The Prairie so much. I cried when they blew up all the main buildings. I think it would have been great if they left all the buildings up so people could actually visit "Walnut Grove". I would have loved to see what it was like practically growing up there. I think it would have been so much fun to make that kind of a television show. I still watch it everyday on TBS even though I've seen every single episode. =)

A boring and horrible way to end what was once a great series the first 5 years

Author: amy s from United States
29 February 2012

According to Melissa Gilbert (Laura Ingalls) in her autobiography, Michael Landon (Pa Ingalls) was FURIOUS that NBC canceled "his" series without formally telling him after 25 years of acting on NBC's Bonanza and Little House. Michael Landon had a crazy sense of humor and said, "I am going to blow the set up because I am "mad."" This episode is ridiculous. Basically a few men white claim they own the land, the town, and the people, and violence ensues. Either the people have to get out immediately or become the "property" of the white corporation. Laura gets mad, smashes dishes and breaks windows. Then John Carter (who moved into Laura's old childhood cabin)tells the town he has a wagon full of dynamite and they will blow up the entire town! Gee- what a terrific idea! 75% of this episode is just the camera going from set to set, the towns people crying, and the sets being blown to smithereens. NOT COOL!

A must see .

Author: Di from United States
7 September 2001

If your a little house fan , then this the final episode is a must . Even for those who are not fans , this one was a real tear jerker . As most little house episodes where . Still glad to see those reruns . A reunion would be wonderful , even though , it would never be the same without Pa . They could do it up like the Andy Griffith reunion without Aunt Bee . Wasn't the same without her , but they never forgot her . Just hope that we get to see Albert in it as well , because they've never really shown us whether or not he kicked the blood disease, to live his life out as Dr. Albert Ingels . And it would just be awesome to see Melissa Gilbert as our Laura Ingels once again . I highly recommend this final series of little house .

What a way to go out--with a BANG!

Author: Mary Johnson (chip-58) from Petawawa, Ontario, Canada
19 August 1999

Like many other viewers, I found myself glued and crying while watching the last and final episode of Little House. Having grown up with Little House, how could one not wonder how the actors and/or actresses gotten through those final scenes. Whether it be, Willie admitting (to his father)that he couldn't blow up his beloved home/store or the restaurant or or Rev. Alden telling us to be good to each other. For me LITTLE HOUSE will live on forever in reruns. Any possibilities of a reunion show would be GREAT.

The best of them all

Author: Luv-being-cute from United States
6 February 2004

This episode happens to be my favorite one. The reason why Mrs. Oleson is not in it is because (if you have ever seen it) she is in the hospital in Minneapolis. She has been in there for 6 months. But Katherine McGregor (the person who plays her) was on a pilgrimage for India. I would recommend watching it, especially if you have seen the rest of the series, because I feel that I the best of them all.

Good riddance

Author: Matthew_Capitano from Beverly Hills, CA
17 August 2014

The deadbeats of greater Peanut Grove have got to get the hell out of town after commerce dries up.

Mr. Hansen closes down his mill since nobody in these parts has enough money to buy a splinter, much less a two-by-four. Mr. Olsen's mercantile goes out of business because Harriet charges 5 cents for a loaf of bread instead of the usual 2 cents. Doc Baker packs up his medical kit which includes a saw for amputations and a supply of miracle elixir. It's 100 proof, good stuff.

Melissa Gilbert's talent has all but disappeared (she said she hated wearing the bonnets, anyway), Michael Landon abandoned the shoe black for his hair, and Carolyn Grasshole still couldn't act.

Bye-bye, Ingholes of Peanut Grove.

Very sad!

Author: Michelle Palmer from United States
1 December 2013

This is probably one of the most heart-wrenching "episodes" of the entire Little House series! Here we see most of the main characters (with the exception of Harriet Oleson who is in a hospital). We watch in agony as the citizens of Walnut Grove, including Charles and Caroline, say goodbye to their town.

There's really not much I can say about this movie. The last thirty minutes is just agonizing! We watch the buildings blow up one by one and see the realistic tears on the faces of the actors and actresses. The tears were will! The town was REALLY being blown up! The actors and actresses were really crying as they said goodbye to this beloved era of television!

An Explosive Farewell to Walnut Grove.

Author: ExplorerDS6789 from United States
18 May 2012

Charles has finally made it big. He's been awarded a four week paid vacation, but as luck would have it, at the exact time his vacation begins, Caroline's aunt was coming to stay. Charles hated her and caused a scene in the restaurant where they were eating when he found out. He got in a fight with a patron and got his ass kicked. How the mighty have fallen. But maybe Caroline's aunt coming won't be so bad, as they can burden her to watch the children while they take their vacation to...where else? Walnut Grove. While Charles and Caroline enjoyed the train trip, a meeting was being held in a private car. Men in business suits, lead by Nathan Lassiter, discussed land they'd purchased, namely almost all of southeast Minnesota. There were a few towns which he wanted checked out. Among them, Walnut Grove. These men were railroad tycoons and they wanted this land to run lines through and make a mint. So after another day or so, the Ingallses arrived in Walnut Grove, where Caroline is tearfully reunited with Laura, Almanzo and little Rose. On the same stage that brought them also brought a man named Drew Coleson, one of the aforementioned railroad tycoons, come to survey the town. That night, the Ingallses, Wilders, Willie, Rachel, Edwards and Montague had a fine dinner and Montague outshines Charles on his own fiddle. John Carter stops by, looking for a house-sitter as he was going on a freight run and taking Sarah with him. Charles jumped at the chance to stay in the little house again. It would be like old times, especially when Charles went to have one of his world-famous talks with Jason, who was experiencing younger-brother blues. Meanwhile, Coleson got back to Mr. Lassiter about his findings, which gave him an evil grin. What are they up to? Lassiter came to town that Sunday to address the entire town in church about some big news. Lassiter took the pulpit and, in a nut shell, his company owns the land on which Walnut Grove stood and he informed all the residents that they were now officially his employees. Nels stood up and decreed they would fight this to the bitter end. They needed a lawyer. Charles and Nels seek out Mr. Davis in Sleepy Eye, who informed them that Lassiter's case was legit and the Grove stood no chance in court. Lassiter & Co. owned the land and could do as they pleased. I'd say this time they're really up the creek without a paddle.

Well, sir, you can bet they won't give up without a fight. Almanzo spent all night oiling and loading his double-barreled buddy to combat those grease-balls. Just as expected, Lassiter and his boys paid Almanzo a visit next morning. They must have some kind of death wish. Lassiter ordered Almanzo off the premises in 48 hours, or else. Manly lunged at him, but became overpowered by his goons who beat him up, then nearly killed poor Mr. Montague. What a dick. This means war! Despite Reverend Alden's protests, this is what had to be done. So when Lassier and crew came back on Friday, they're met by all the men folk, sans the reverend, carrying rifles. But the evil Lassiter called in the army. Colonel Forbes and his armed cavalry arrived almost immediately, and sadly, the Grove was outnumbered and had no choice but to give in. They had until Sunday. Then Lassiter would take control of Walnut Grove and rule the world! Laura was livid. She took her frustrations out on the house, smashing every window to pieces. She shared this at a town meeting that night, and then it hit them. They had a marvelous idea about how to stick it to Lassiter: get some dynamite and blow the whole town to smithereens! By God, that's just crazy enough to work! On Sunday, they did it. Tragically, tearfully, they wired all the major buildings in town and armed the detonators. First up, Almanzo blew up their boarding house. Next, Edwards blew up Hanson's Mill. Next, the Feed & Seed and the livery stable. Then Nels detonated Oleson's Mercantile. Doc Baker detonated his office and the post office. Finally, Willie blew up Nellie's Restaurant. All that remained of Walnut Grove was a mass of wood and splinters, but the church/schoolhouse still stood. Um, why? When Lassiter and his cronies rode in to what was once Walnut Grove, they received the shock of their lives: a hell of a mess to clean up. That, and the mayors of neighboring towns promised the same if Lassiter tried to take them over, so the Grove did not die in vain. The entire township marched away singing "Onward Christian Soldiers." I wonder what they're going to do now. Maybe they can all move in with Charles, he seemed to have a big enough house. R.I.P. Walnut Grove 1840-1890.

The Last Farewell. It was sad. Very sad indeed. Sad, frustrating, and a little over-the-top. How long was Lassiter going to wait before unveiling this scheme of his? I wonder if Mr. Hanson was ever aware of it? Was blowing up the buildings really necessary? In the long run? For Michael Landon, it was. You cancel his show, he's gonna leave you with a great big mess. Oh well. Wonderfully acted by everybody involved. Landon wrote and directed it to perfection. James Karen was great as that transparently evil prick, Mr. Lassiter, and the fact that this TV movie didn't win one single Emmy is the greatest crime of all! Landon, Dabbs Greer, Melissa Gilbert, Victor French and James Karen deserved Emmys for this! But anyway, if you were with Little House in the beginning, why not be here to see it all end? Very tragic and depressing, but there is a sliver of hope at the end. Check out The Last Farewell, as well as the rest of the series. It has left an everlasting impression.

the last episode

Author: sweetmolalla from United States
4 February 2007

this was by far one of the saddest shows i have ever seen i grew up watching reruns of this show and my mother was raised on it when they blow up the entire town at the end it is so sad cause we just spent the last 10 years watching them build it up just to have to destroy everything and we never get a chance to see how everyone does with there future no so uncertain it was also strange to see how everyone was dressed after not seeing the show for a few years all i could recall was the older prairie clothes so when this episode started it was strange seeing them all dressed up in city clothes all in all this is a sad end to a great show

Great TV made movie

Author: garyldibert from United States
6 July 2008

This show aired on TV on February 6 1984 starring Melissa Gilbert as Laura Ingalls Wilder, Dean Butler as Almanzo Wilder and Richard Bull as Nels Olesen. Little House: The Last Farewell was the third and last TV movie based on the books of Laura Ingalls Wilder, though it was telecast out of sequence, shown before the second film. Charles Ingalls and his wife Karen leave in another town far away from Walnut Grove. So Charles gets a vacation and the only place that Charles and Karen wants to go back to is Walnut Grove. So the two get on a train and then takes a stage coach that's drops them of in front of the Wilders house three hours early. So Melissa who's overwhelm with emotions after seeing her mom for the first time in 5 years. Out of nowhere a vaster shows up at the Sunday church service and makes an announcement that sets off a chain of reactions that no one dream of. This was the third of three "Little House" telemovie sequels, and the last story to be filmed, but not the last to be broadcast it debuted during Easter of 1984, while the film made before it, Little House: Bless All the Dear Children in 1984 would air eight months later, in December of that same year. I wasn't a big Little House on the Praire fan but this movie made for TV. Caught my eye. I love the action and drama and it kept you on the edge of you seat. Based on that, I give this movie 8 weasel stars, because there was no real leading actress.