IMDb > Little House: The Last Farewell (1984) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Little House: The Last Farewell (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Loved Little House

Author: Sonya Woods from Hell
28 October 2001

I love Little House On The Prairie so much. I cried when they blew up all the main buildings. I think it would have been great if they left all the buildings up so people could actually visit "Walnut Grove". I would have loved to see what it was like practically growing up there. I think it would have been so much fun to make that kind of a television show. I still watch it everyday on TBS even though I've seen every single episode. =)

What a way to go out--with a BANG!

Author: Mary Johnson (chip-58) from Petawawa, Ontario, Canada
19 August 1999

Like many other viewers, I found myself glued and crying while watching the last and final episode of Little House. Having grown up with Little House, how could one not wonder how the actors and/or actresses gotten through those final scenes. Whether it be, Willie admitting (to his father)that he couldn't blow up his beloved home/store or the restaurant or or Rev. Alden telling us to be good to each other. For me LITTLE HOUSE will live on forever in reruns. Any possibilities of a reunion show would be GREAT.

TV now vs then

Author: katken-06561
30 September 2015

I would much rather see this type of movie and/or show on TV anytime than some of the weird, grotesque things that are on now. What is this world coming to with all the zombies and vampires, etc. and wacky, idiot, reality TV that we have to see now? Why can't we have nice wholesome shows like they were back then? Why shouldn't they have blown up the buildings? I think that it was only fair that the townspeople took with them what they brought. The "landowner" should not be able to get that for free, too. He was only showing how very greedy he was and how unreasonable he could be. If he had been a "real" human being, he would have tried to negotiate with the townspeople to try to be fair.

A must see .

Author: Di from United States
7 September 2001

If your a little house fan , then this the final episode is a must . Even for those who are not fans , this one was a real tear jerker . As most little house episodes where . Still glad to see those reruns . A reunion would be wonderful , even though , it would never be the same without Pa . They could do it up like the Andy Griffith reunion without Aunt Bee . Wasn't the same without her , but they never forgot her . Just hope that we get to see Albert in it as well , because they've never really shown us whether or not he kicked the blood disease, to live his life out as Dr. Albert Ingels . And it would just be awesome to see Melissa Gilbert as our Laura Ingels once again . I highly recommend this final series of little house .

A boring and horrible way to end what was once a great series the first 5 years

Author: amy s from United States
29 February 2012

According to Melissa Gilbert (Laura Ingalls) in her autobiography, Michael Landon (Pa Ingalls) was FURIOUS that NBC canceled "his" series without formally telling him after 25 years of acting on NBC's Bonanza and Little House. Michael Landon had a crazy sense of humor and said, "I am going to blow the set up because I am "mad."" This episode is ridiculous. Basically a few men white claim they own the land, the town, and the people, and violence ensues. Either the people have to get out immediately or become the "property" of the white corporation. Laura gets mad, smashes dishes and breaks windows. Then John Carter (who moved into Laura's old childhood cabin)tells the town he has a wagon full of dynamite and they will blow up the entire town! Gee- what a terrific idea! 75% of this episode is just the camera going from set to set, the towns people crying, and the sets being blown to smithereens. NOT COOL!

The best of them all

Author: Luv-being-cute from United States
6 February 2004

This episode happens to be my favorite one. The reason why Mrs. Oleson is not in it is because (if you have ever seen it) she is in the hospital in Minneapolis. She has been in there for 6 months. But Katherine McGregor (the person who plays her) was on a pilgrimage for India. I would recommend watching it, especially if you have seen the rest of the series, because I feel that I the best of them all.

The grand finale...of the best series ever!

Author: A.Santos
31 March 2017

Did I cry? Yes. Sure I did. When everything you have loved from the first second of Little House is blown up in the air, well, you just can't help it.

But let me tell the story:

As the movie begins, we see Caroline talking on the phone with aunt Tess.(whoever she is,Aunt Tess is someone whom Charles doesn't like and is coming for a visit). Since Charles has a one-month holiday, they decide to leave the children with Aunt Tess and so they go to Walnut Grove...only they didn't know they would be there to bid their last farewell, hence the title.

On the same train there were a few rich gentleman meeting: owners of land development companies, they want to take over the towns of Hero Township. Meanwhile,the Ingalls, the Wilders, Mr.Montague and Mr.Edwards are reunited in a merry family gathering when John Carter comes in and asks for someone to watch over the house while he's away with Sarah. Charles and Caroline readily agree to stay there...just like the old times, remember?

That Sunday in church, Lassiter has the pleasure to announce that Walnut Grove was his, but don't worry, gentle citizens, you can stay and work for him as salaried employees...INDEED! Then there's talk of confront, Caroline and Laura deeply worried because their husbands will do anything for their lands. Lassiter and Almanzo have a confront, but he's okay. That Friday, the town makes a move, but Lassiter has the United States cavalry ready, so he gives an ultimatum: they have to leave Walnut Grove on Sunday.

Laura is so angry,she smashes the windows of the house and a couple of dishes. At the meeting in town, the reverend prays for all those who will be touched by this sorrow..Edwards is still angry, but Laura gets up and, grand lady she is, she says to give them what for, and leave them a Walnut Grove buried in chaos..John Carter has a load of dynamite they can use...And so, next day, one by one, the buildings are blown up: first the boarding house, then Nellie's restaurant, the Oleoson store, the post-office, the mill... As each one of them was being shattered to pieces, I was crying and wailing "NO"...

Lassiter arrives and immediately orders the cavalry to arrest the citizens, but they have done nothing wrong according to the law. So everyone marches away, singing "Onward Christian Soldiers", and..it's over. Little House on the Prairie is over...

Some may say that Michael Landon wrote this in anger because they had canceled his show, but, it's a very good ending. If Little House had ended happily, perhaps we would have forgotten it..this way, we learn to appreciate all of the nine seasons, because Walnut Grove was destroyed, there's no more Little House on The Prairie.

Regardless to say, everyone was great: Melissa Gilbert was wonderful, Richard Bull was very convincing, and it was incredible. Don't miss this!!!!

Very sad!

Author: Michelle Palmer from United States
1 December 2013

This is probably one of the most heart-wrenching "episodes" of the entire Little House series! Here we see most of the main characters (with the exception of Harriet Oleson who is in a hospital). We watch in agony as the citizens of Walnut Grove, including Charles and Caroline, say goodbye to their town.

There's really not much I can say about this movie. The last thirty minutes is just agonizing! We watch the buildings blow up one by one and see the realistic tears on the faces of the actors and actresses. The tears were will! The town was REALLY being blown up! The actors and actresses were really crying as they said goodbye to this beloved era of television!

An Explosive Farewell to Walnut Grove.

Author: ExplorerDS6789 from United States
18 May 2012

Charles has finally made it big. He's been awarded a four week paid vacation, but as luck would have it, at the exact time his vacation begins, Caroline's aunt was coming to stay. Charles hated her and caused a scene in the restaurant where they were eating when he found out. He got in a fight with a patron and got his ass kicked. How the mighty have fallen. But maybe Caroline's aunt coming won't be so bad, as they can burden her to watch the children while they take their vacation to...where else? Walnut Grove. While Charles and Caroline enjoyed the train trip, a meeting was being held in a private car. Men in business suits, lead by Nathan Lassiter, discussed land they'd purchased, namely almost all of southeast Minnesota. There were a few towns which he wanted checked out. Among them, Walnut Grove. These men were railroad tycoons and they wanted this land to run lines through and make a mint. So after another day or so, the Ingallses arrived in Walnut Grove, where Caroline is tearfully reunited with Laura, Almanzo and little Rose. On the same stage that brought them also brought a man named Drew Coleson, one of the aforementioned railroad tycoons, come to survey the town. That night, the Ingallses, Wilders, Willie, Rachel, Edwards and Montague had a fine dinner and Montague outshines Charles on his own fiddle. John Carter stops by, looking for a house-sitter as he was going on a freight run and taking Sarah with him. Charles jumped at the chance to stay in the little house again. It would be like old times, especially when Charles went to have one of his world-famous talks with Jason, who was experiencing younger-brother blues. Meanwhile, Coleson got back to Mr. Lassiter about his findings, which gave him an evil grin. What are they up to? Lassiter came to town that Sunday to address the entire town in church about some big news. Lassiter took the pulpit and, in a nut shell, his company owns the land on which Walnut Grove stood and he informed all the residents that they were now officially his employees. Nels stood up and decreed they would fight this to the bitter end. They needed a lawyer. Charles and Nels seek out Mr. Davis in Sleepy Eye, who informed them that Lassiter's case was legit and the Grove stood no chance in court. Lassiter & Co. owned the land and could do as they pleased. I'd say this time they're really up the creek without a paddle.

Well, sir, you can bet they won't give up without a fight. Almanzo spent all night oiling and loading his double-barreled buddy to combat those grease-balls. Just as expected, Lassiter and his boys paid Almanzo a visit next morning. They must have some kind of death wish. Lassiter ordered Almanzo off the premises in 48 hours, or else. Manly lunged at him, but became overpowered by his goons who beat him up, then nearly killed poor Mr. Montague. What a dick. This means war! Despite Reverend Alden's protests, this is what had to be done. So when Lassier and crew came back on Friday, they're met by all the men folk, sans the reverend, carrying rifles. But the evil Lassiter called in the army. Colonel Forbes and his armed cavalry arrived almost immediately, and sadly, the Grove was outnumbered and had no choice but to give in. They had until Sunday. Then Lassiter would take control of Walnut Grove and rule the world! Laura was livid. She took her frustrations out on the house, smashing every window to pieces. She shared this at a town meeting that night, and then it hit them. They had a marvelous idea about how to stick it to Lassiter: get some dynamite and blow the whole town to smithereens! By God, that's just crazy enough to work! On Sunday, they did it. Tragically, tearfully, they wired all the major buildings in town and armed the detonators. First up, Almanzo blew up their boarding house. Next, Edwards blew up Hanson's Mill. Next, the Feed & Seed and the livery stable. Then Nels detonated Oleson's Mercantile. Doc Baker detonated his office and the post office. Finally, Willie blew up Nellie's Restaurant. All that remained of Walnut Grove was a mass of wood and splinters, but the church/schoolhouse still stood. Um, why? When Lassiter and his cronies rode in to what was once Walnut Grove, they received the shock of their lives: a hell of a mess to clean up. That, and the mayors of neighboring towns promised the same if Lassiter tried to take them over, so the Grove did not die in vain. The entire township marched away singing "Onward Christian Soldiers." I wonder what they're going to do now. Maybe they can all move in with Charles, he seemed to have a big enough house. R.I.P. Walnut Grove 1840-1890.

The Last Farewell. It was sad. Very sad indeed. Sad, frustrating, and a little over-the-top. How long was Lassiter going to wait before unveiling this scheme of his? I wonder if Mr. Hanson was ever aware of it? Was blowing up the buildings really necessary? In the long run? For Michael Landon, it was. You cancel his show, he's gonna leave you with a great big mess. Oh well. Wonderfully acted by everybody involved. Landon wrote and directed it to perfection. James Karen was great as that transparently evil prick, Mr. Lassiter, and the fact that this TV movie didn't win one single Emmy is the greatest crime of all! Landon, Dabbs Greer, Melissa Gilbert, Victor French and James Karen deserved Emmys for this! But anyway, if you were with Little House in the beginning, why not be here to see it all end? Very tragic and depressing, but there is a sliver of hope at the end. Check out The Last Farewell, as well as the rest of the series. It has left an everlasting impression.

The Last Psychotic Farewell

Author: Tracy Winters from Carlsbad, CA
5 August 2015

The cynicism of Michael Landon (and Hollywood Jews in general) is very apparent in this final episode of Little House (in fact, this was a TV-movie which aired after the show had already concluded, not the official 'final episode').

A land developer owns rights to Walnut Grove real estate and forces everyone from their homes. Disgusted with the idea, the townsfolk come up with a 'wonderful' solution: they will BLOW UP the town! This seems like a good thing to do to all involved -- no one protests that this prospect might be rather demented, as well as violent and destructive to the children.... "This is the way to solve any problem, kids. If you can't have something, DESTROY IT with vengeance and hatred so no one else can have it".

At one point, Half-Pint goes berserk and smashes dishes on the floor, followed by pulverizing all the windows in her own home. Um.... does anyone know if Doc Baker practices psychiatry, as it would seem Half-Pint is in need of some serious therapy.

What a terribly pathetic way to end a mostly beloved family series, besides being an extremely selfish final statement by executive producer Landon, who reportedly ended the series this way because he was enraged that in canceling 'Little House', NBC did not tell him anything about it until the last minute.