IMDb > The Ewok Adventure (1984) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Ewok Adventure

The Ewok Adventure (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Great entertainment for all

Author: EnriqueH from Miami, Fl.
31 December 2004

I bought the DVD, feeling that the nostalgia of watching this when I was 9 with my little sister was worth the 10 bucks. I even joked with a young couple at the check-out counter, (who remembered the movies), about how we all liked it as kids.

What I didn't expect was that the movie would hold up after all these years, and mind you, I haven't seen this since the mid or late 80s.

A lot of movies we liked as kids age badly due to the fact that we all grow up. But I found The Ewok Adventure, now called Caravan of Courage, to be just as exciting, fun and charming at 29 as I found the film when I first saw it 20 or so years ago when it debut. I think that's a compliment given to only the very best of films.

There is some, (not all), stop-motion animation special effects that have aged to be sure, but that is to be expected of a made-for-TV movie with a decidedly less expensive budget than the actual Star Wars films. Most of the time, I was impressed that the Star Wars magic extended beyond the big screen and onto a TV movie.

When Return of the Jedi came out, I was like a lot of other hardcore Star Wars fans: I didn't like the seemingly overused furry creatures. I wanted more Han Solo and Darth Vader and lightsaber battles. I've lightened up on the little guys, but I don't think hardcore Star Wars fans have anything to fear though. I found the Ewoks to be even more endearing, brave and charming in their own adventures, which play off as a kind of Goonies: Star Wars style.

Above all, I recommend this movie to anyone because it's one of those special films, (like the original Star Wars movies themselves), that entertain adults and kids. The film has great characters, has a very fast pace, has a good story and is nicely acted. In other words, it's a winner.

And for 10 bucks, I don't know that I ever spent 10 bucks as well as I did when I picked up this DVD---which also features the sequel that I can now see for the first time. Definitely worth watching and buying.

EnriqueH

Interesting

Author: bigdaddyjeffc from Hopkinton, MA
17 April 2001

Some things to keep in mind when watching this movie: 1) It was made for TV. 2) It was 1984, and 3) It was intended for children. Although many people think this is just a cheap movie made to capitalize on the popularity of the Star Wars films, I see this film and it's sequel as an interesting way to look at the Star Wars Universe when Luke and company aren't around. It's not perfect, but neither was Phantom Menace, after all.

P.S.: I'm not in any way saying Phantom Menace was a bad movie, it was one of my favorite movies of 1999. I'm just saying it's not perfect. Anything less than A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back has to live with that fact.

Another kids' adventure film on the other side of the galaxy.

Author: Jason C. Atwood from Suffolk, Virginia
15 May 1999

These furry little bears known as "Ewoks" had been related to the STAR WARS legend, but this made-for-TV concoction (and the one following this) has nothing to do with the legendary movies. It is, of course, an expansion of the STAR WARS universe that reaches into the realms of mystical adventures, while still holding on to the familiar science fiction theme that George Lucas once created.

THE EWOK ADVENTURE isn't going to win any awards for its basic storyline, plot, and acting routines, and it may remind some of us about the silly live-action Filmation programs that once dominated Saturday mornings in the 70s. The leftover sets from JEDI and its costumes are a real help along with Burl Ives' narration. Don't expect BIG results here; it's VERY predictable! While its fun for virtually all ages, leave this to the kids.

My inner child smiles

Author: jennifermch from Portland, Oregon
4 May 2005

I loved this movie as a child and still do. A great adventure with no cursing and little to no violence. I will be happy to let my son watch it when he is older. Great characters and how I love it when Wickett says, "Lardo". There are great outdoor settings and I thing the Ewok costumes are just adorable. They shine all on their own, and are great to see in Star Wars as well. Quirky antics and always seeming to land in trouble, that is what a children's sci-fi adventure should be about. I know it may seem a little goofy to those of you who are big sci-fi buffs and are looking for in-depth high caliber writing, but for those of you who are looking for light hearted fun, this is the movie! Two thumbs up.

A nice movie for the kids

Author: TheHande
30 December 2006

Caravan of Courage, the first of two Ewok films is a nice adventure film for kids, but too slow for adults to enjoy. The film captures the essential elements of what an Ewok film should be like but fails in certain other areas.

Firstly the film looks rather messy in comparison to other LucasFilm productions and particularly when compared to its immediate sequel. The narrator is also more distracting than anything and would sound more appropriate in a nature documentary rather than a children's fantasy adventure film.

On the other hand, the film sets itself apart from the bigger SW films quite nicely, feeling more like a fantasy than a science fiction film and having some fairly good special-effects and interesting creatures. But as said, adults are more likely to find the film numbing rather than enjoyable.

I have MUCH love for this movie!

Author: Keri from United States
26 April 2005

This movie is excellent! I had this movie memorized at one time! I think I watched it everyday! Wicket is cute, Cindel is adorable and I had a big time crush on Mace!!! You find yourself IN the adventure WITH them! They're easy to love and you'll want to watch it over and over! OK, yes, the graphics aren't "LoTR" quality, but good grief...look at the DATE the move was made!!! Anything that has George Lucas involved is NOT boring! I loved every minute of this movie as a kid and I just watched the trailer on this website and now I want to rush out and buy the movie on DVD! I want my kids to fall in love with it like I did! So put down your cynicism, grab your popcorn, kick your feet up and be prepared to laugh, cry, and even maybe be scared a little! You can thank me later! =)

Gunda? Feech!

Author: Ati (aremeny@freemail.hu) from Budapest, Hungary
26 February 2015

A Star Wars spin-off for children. Well, Star Wars is for children as well. All right I know, Star Wars is very much enjoyable for adults. This movie isn't.

Everything is about the Ewoks here, those fuzzy little furballs from The Return of the Jedi. They are as cute as ever, even though the way their faces aren't moving is a bit creepy. On the positive side these Ewoks are the same ones we saw in The Return of the Jedi. They talk the same way they did there, by operating with such words as 'gunda' (good) or 'feech' (what seems to be an Ewokian cuss-word).

Of course there are also humans in the movie, 2 children, who are lost and are looking for their parents in the vast forests of the moon of Endor. The storyline covers the journey of a little girl and her brother to the hideout of a giant, who apparently holds their parents hostage, with the local Ewoks helping the children throughout their quest. No more, no less.

As I said, this movie is definitely for children. For adults it might be tedious to watch because of the lack of dialogues (everything is told by a narrator, for obvious reasons), and the overall silliness of the movie. And I mean tedious even to adults who are otherwise Star Wars fans/addicts. But for children it can be enjoyable. It's important to note that George Lucas wrote the story, so it's actually the creation of the father of the Star Wars universe and it's got a bit darker, grimmer sequel named The Battle for Endor.

It's not that bad,I've seen worse guys!

Author: Jenova Synthesis from Adromeda Strain
16 September 1999

Come on,I've seen worse "Star Wars" spin-offs (the X-mas special comes to mind ~-~).I know alot of people either love this film or hated it,but there was some campiness and some touching scenes that attracted me to this.It was rather entertaining since I was little.It's just been so long ago!!!

By no means "Star Wars", but still charming

Author: peefyn from Norway
9 December 2015

Caravan of Courage is not a bad movie, and does not deserve to be forgotten. If you hold it up against the Star Wars saga, it obviously pales in comparison, but that's comparing apples and oranges. This movie, a made for TV-movie intended for children/family-viewing, serves a completely different purpose.

The story is simple and easy to follow, two lost children searches for their parents with help from the Ewoks. I must admit that the story did very little for me, and especially Walker's character were at times especially annoying (mostly to create smaller scenes of conflict).

The highlight of the movie is the stop motion, the costumes, the matte paintings and sets and the special effects. If you like practical effects, it's fun to see how the ILM-crew managed to get quite a lot of a small budget. It's obviously far from perfect, but very charming.

In keeping with the Star Wars Holiday special, it does not subtitle the alien characters, or dub them. It does, however, employ a narrator, explaining some of the things which is hard to understand by body language alone. The Ewok community is also similar to how it looks in episode VI. The human characters do at some points seem a bit unfamiliar with the fact that the Star Wars universe is filled of all sorts of unknown creatures - but it's hard to say exactly what their background is.

At its best, the movie is the like other 80s fantasy/adventure classics about children, like the Time Bandits, Labyrinth and the Goonies. It does not manage to reach the level of imaginative storytelling that any of these other movies display, but the heart is definitely in the same place.

Despite it not being a particularly fun movie, or that well made, it's still an interesting movie. If you are interested in Star Wars-lore, special effects, popular culture or film making, you might enjoy this movie quite a bit.

Ignore the dated effects and just have fun!

Author: tenthousandtattoos from Australia
10 July 2007

When I was a kid, playing with my star wars figures, I used to make a hole on the floor with a towel wrapped in the shape of a donut. This was the Sarlaac from Return of the Jedi. Now, I didn't use any paint, crayons, or anything else to make it LOOK like the sarlaac, i said "its the sarlaac" and therefore it was.

What I'm getting at is, when I view these films i am very nostalgic for, like this one, I can simply ignore the fact the sets/matte paintings/stop-motion-animation etc might not be up to say, Lord of the Rings quality. But let that simple, irrelevant fact spoil my enjoyment of films I LOVED as a kid? No way, not on your life! I adored this movie as a youngster, and I just had the great fortune of finally finding it on DVD (with the added bonus of the sequel, which I have NOT seen, so I can't wait to curl up in front of the fire and experience that one) and I am looking forward to showing it to my young nephews. It's got a great setting, a rolling little adventure for the kids, a cute-ness factor that is through the roof thanks to the little fuzzball Ewoks and little Cindel. Now it's no great epic installment to the Star Wars saga we're talking about here, but I refuse to believe they made this film JUST to cash in on Star Wars' success at the box office. This tiny film wouldn't have made them much money anyway! Why would a creative bunch of people get together and spin a wonderful yarn for kids simply to line their own pockets. There are a LOT of ways to make money, but there are less ways to bring a smile to a child's face, and that's far more important.

I love this movie, it's a near-forgotten gem now, lost in the swirling CGI-miasma of the new "Star Wars" movies...and I use the term Star Wars there, lightly indeed. This film probably cost 5% of the Phantom Menace budget, but the Ewoks can visit my lounge-room anytime...Jar Jar however, will be shot on sight...

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]