IMDb > Courage (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Courage More at IMDbPro »

An overlooked film

Author: goya-4 from PA USA
14 September 2000

About long distance runners who are kidnapped by some vigilantes in the desert in New Mexico. This movie was one of those late night finds..it is a very suspenseful film that you will not change the channel from.. A very worthwhile rental that will keep you engaged from start to the bitter end..on a scale of one to ten..8

I don't think I've ever seen an opening shot sabotage a good film so badly before.

Author: Clint Walker from Illinois, USA
24 May 2004

Raw Courage is good. Actually, when you compare it to the kind of dusty old VHS tapes slowly making their way into the trash bins in the dawn of the DVD era, it's REALLY good.

It's from that "fight for your life" subgenra of horror film, where everyday guys find themselves trapped somewhere away from civilizaion while being hunted by some kind of maniacs.

In this film, the victims are three cross country runners who have planned a trek through the desert. Eventually, they run across a squad of militia men who end up hunting them down after some taunting goes bad. As is the case with most films of this ilk, the hunted are used to symbolize different sides of Man's psychie. Ronny Cox is the slightly nebbish husband who dosent know what to do. While the other guy is an aggressive alpha mail, and the other other guy is a whiny brat who just wants to hide.

I suppose what I liked best about the film was that it always seemed probable. The protagonists never do anything outlandish like rig up a brilliant death trap out of rocks and sand. Their ways of fighting back are the same kind of simple things that you or I would probably think of if we were in the situation. And because of this, many of the scenes are quite thrilling since some of their plans don't always work (their attempt at stealing a horse).

The villians are pretty silly, and never really rise above the level of stock; While the film's literal "finish line" pushed my good will to the breaking point. But overall, I was happy I saw this one.

As for that opening scene: Fade in to a close up of Cox's waxy, brown foot, as his fingers dip into a creamy vat of Petroleum Jelly with a disgusting squish. Followed by about a good twenty seconds or so of him lovingly smearing and caressing the goop inbetween his stubby toes.

It's probably the most disgusting minutes of film I've ever seen.

Realistic

Author: susantrujillo70 from United States
19 April 2006

the movie could have never been better then what it was. i felt as though i was right there with them when all took place, i felt the joy at first with the beginning of the movie, then felt pain, anger, sadness, danger and fears of not knowing what would take place next, the movie was one of a kind and i applaud all who created Raw Courage. I often spoke of this movie to others, and to this day i still do, i wish i owned a copy of this movie, i am still trying to find a DVD or VHS, the one i had i lost in a fire, so if ever the movie ever comes to television, my eyes will be glued to the TV. if anyone has an extra copy of this movie please let me know, i am glad the movie came about in my time of life.

Surprising action in the desert

Author: Bill from United States
30 May 2005

This comment below sums it up quite well

------------------------------

An overlooked film, 14 September 2000

Author: goya-4 from PA USA

------------------------

At the least this is what it is , in fact its sort of like that Dennis Weaver film "Duel" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067023/

In time it could possibly become a cult classic like Duel. I remember reading Leonar Maltin's review or should I say LACK OF REVIEW. Because its obvious that he never saw this movie. Because if he had ... I'm sure that he'd pass favorable comment on this.

Basically .... If you like action with some pretty good performance , this move will entertain you. Ronny Cox is a very good actor and plays his part very well. There is some real action and suspense in this movie. And i you can pick up a DVD at a reasonable price , its worthwhile to have in your collection.

From zero to hero in 72 miles

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
19 June 2007

It's truly incomprehensible how some rubbishy movies are so popular and easily available whilst, at the same time, there still are such wonderful gems out there that sadly remain obscure and undiscovered. I doubt many people have ever heard of "Death Run" (a.k.a "Courage" and "Raw Courage"). I hadn't heard about it either, before an even bigger movie-buff than myself recommended it to me. It's a damn shame that this film is so underrated because it's a terrifically tense and action-packed 80's thriller with great acting performances as well as a solid screenplay and a unique setting. "Death Run" is more or less Ronny Cox' one-man-project. This shamefully neglected B-movie star co-wrote, produced and starred as one the lead characters, and he did a tremendously fine job in all three areas. Three generations of ambitious runners decide to run through the desert area for charity. Pete Canfield (Cox) is the elderly guy who never was quite satisfied with what he accomplished in life, Craig (Tim Maier) is the young lad who's constantly put under pressure by his dominant father and middle-aged Roger (Art Hindle) is the potent friend who endless supports and consults the other two. Deep into the desert, the trio encounters a bunch of crazed wannabe-military vigilantes from Denver (led by the sneering M. Emmet Walsh, who's once again in great shape). When their dangerous "training exercises" go awry and result into a fatal accident, the protagonists literally have to run for their lives, as the vigilantes won't allow them to reach the end of the desert alive. And since it's incredibly hard to outrun maniacs on motorcycles, they may even have to put up a fight. "Death Run" is drama, satire, action, and revenge-exploitation all in one. The premise is simple but effective and especially the villains are menacingly realistic. Crazed and trigger-happy vigilantes form a much bigger threat than, say, giant desert worms or space invaders and hence the suspense is much more genuine. The script makes full use of the inescapable desert location, with all its natural death traps and hideout places. There are some unexpected surprises and effective shocks to experience in this movie and the sober musical guidance is excellent. Personally, I think the ending could have been a little better, but generally speaking "Death Run" is an awesome film and here's to hoping a fancy DVD-release will follow soon. Recommended, for sure.

The only movie I ever watched that made me tired .......

Author: merklekranz from United States
2 September 2015

For sure I have watched countless movies that made me sleepy, but "Raw Courage" is the first one that made me feel tired. Three long distance runners running and running and running through the New Mexico desert. Their flight was initiated by M. Emmet Walsh and his ruthless brigade of weekend mercenaries playing war games. After one of the runners is killed, it's a battle of wits (the runners) vs. the nitwits (the brigade). While I enjoy these variants on "The Most dangerous Game", I would have preferred more character development and less running. This is certainly watchable, but expect nothing more than a relentless desert chase. - MERK