IMDb > The Company of Wolves (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 8 of 11: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Very original

Author: mike (casey_choas66@hotmail.com) from walkerton
9 July 2002

Company by no means is a normal horror movie or really anything close to a horror movie. This movie defies lables but the one thing it could be considered is one of the strangest movies ever made. The thing that makes it interesting is that it relies more on symbolysm than dialoge. It is sort of a re-telling of Little Red Riding Hood. A little girl learns about adolescense, boys, marraige and so on through the twisted tales that her grandmother tells her, all of which dipict men as wolves. This film is by no means something that viewers should take lightly and repeated viewings will probably be needed in order to take everything in. This film whether you call it horror or fantasy is very thought provoking but it is not something you just pop in to be entertained it is for thiking people only.

Very original

Author: mike (casey_choas66@hotmail.com) from walkerton
9 July 2002

Good Company

Author: lewisrailway from lewisrailway
30 January 2002

When i look back at my favourite films of the 1980s such as Fright Night,Legend and The Terminator it truly was a golden age for movies! Imagine what would happen if you tried to "sell" Company Of Wolves to a moviemaker now--"its the story of Little Red Riding Hood being dreamed by a young girl,with orchestral music and a lagely unheard of cast,and although its set in a forest you"ll have to construct a full sized set indoors". Neil Jordan managed it and produced a wonderful,perfect movie that looks as great today as it did 18 yars ago. The cast were born to play their roles,particularly Micha Begese as the Huntsman and Stephen Rea as the Travelling Man,but the exquisitely beautiful Sarah Patterson steals the show as Rosaleen [why oh why did she only make the one film?] The music too is excellent, especially in the scene where rosaleen climbs the tree. On the down side i suppose the SFX in the transformation scenes do look a little dated now but in 1984 i seem to remember blanched faces around me in the cinema! 10/10 Favourite dialogue--The Huntsman "lost my horse AND my companions young lady"--Rosaleen "at least you"ve got your trousers on!". Superb.

Atmospheric visual and musical beauty beyond comparison...

Author: terenceg from USA
2 October 2001

I was amazed when I first saw this film in the mid-1980s. This film captured my heart and touched on that fantasy world atmosphere I've envisioned since I was a child more so than any other film I've ever seen. The Company Of Wolves is a sort of glamourised, horrific telling of the tale, Little Red Riding Hood. The casting, the lighting, the camera angles, the beautiful dream world atmosphere, the special effects, and the old world-style of story telling is remarkable. This film has a passionate soul. Equally remarkable and integral is George Fenton's fantastic impressionist/romantic musical score to the film.

If you are a fan of well-made, intelligent horror films, and/or of atmospheric fantasy films like, for example, "Legend", you'll simply fall in love with this buried and thoroughly underrated gem of a film by Neil Jordan.

Little Red Riding Hood meets puberty in a nightmare.

Author: rainiac from U.S.A.
17 October 2000

A very unusual flick! The entire movie is like one dream inside another (nightmare if you will). With a lot of symbolism, especially in individual scenescape. Definitely a thought provoker and may leave some a little puzzled at the end. Angela Landsbury is the "Grandma" (well done) in this, and the music complements the dreamy passages.

A hauntingly beautiful fantasy/horror story.

Author: magic_catwoman from Connecticut, USA
30 March 2000

This still remains to me the most beautiful, haunting fantasy/horror story I have ever seen. It takes some common fairy tales and re-tells them in a way that appeals to the haunted dreamlike state we all have locked away inside of us somewhere. The whole time I watched this film I felt almost as if I were having a dream and in the end it left me unsure which part of the tale was the dream and which was the "true life" part of the movie. In my opinion having relative unknowns play the lead parts in the movie made it a better tale as well. Enabling the viewer to enjoy the magical quality of the film without having a bunch of overblown ego,s trying to convince you they were the parts they were playing. It left me changed in my views on what I loved in movies and also added such a fresh twist to the tired old werewolf stories that I once again found myself able to enjoy them instead of being bored with the same old same old. I recommend this film to anyone who is looking to escape into a rich classic little sleeper of a film that will not shock you with gross details but rather reach into the inner realms of your own dreams and bring you along with them into the story.

Sorry, I love this movie

Author: bhicks56 from Raleigh, NC
3 December 1999

There is something hauntingly beautiful about Sarah Patterson. Achingly beautiful. In this film she wears a Red Riding Hood-like gown and the whole time you look at her and remember her as this character. An innocent girl in a dreamlike forest full of wolves and evil men. Maybe it's because she never appears in any other movie I have ever seen that she's so phantom-like. Who knows.

Not too many people appreciate this film, an early work from Irish director Neil Jordan, because they expect a werewolf horror movie. What this is, actually, is a nifty parable on lost innocence and sexual coming-of-age, all told like a medieval fairy tale or Brothers Grimm fable.

The moral is that men can seem like gentleman at first, but they have animal urges, and out comes the beast! I don't exactly buy that, but it does have its truths.

The movie is a web of tales told by Sarah Patterson's grandmother, played with a gingerbread charm by Angela Lansbury. All have to do with wolves, and though they aren't made to scare, you can really get a bite out of the transformation effects (the best one is the one featuring Jordan regular Stephen Rea) of these beasts. Lansbury warns Patterson to stay on the trail in the woods and never trust a man whose eyebrows come together.

Jordan's film is just lovely, though you never figure out what is real, what is fiction, and what is all a dream. In any state, it's a beautiful wonderland. Werewolf fanatics would probably get a better appetite out of THE HOWLING or, my personal fave, AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON, but this is pure romance for anyone who wants to be swept into a dark and lush fairytale.

You know the rules from the children's tales, so be prepared for all of them to be broken with this little-known delight.

Brilliant piece of cinema...

Author: BUTCHER-5 (weronikak@yahoo.com) from Poland
21 November 1999

I called this one the poetic horror flick.It's visually wonderful with awesome cast and excellent plot based on many legends about wolves.This is not gory film,but it has chilling,dreamy atmosphere.The main actress,the teenage girl Sarah Patterson(Rosaleen) is beautiful.The director Neil Jordan did a great job.To sum up,this picture is stylish and imaginative.Try this with heart and you shouldn't be disappointed.

Surreal erotic horror

Author: grendel-25 from Tulsa, OK USA
21 March 1999

The Company of Wolves is brilliant. The only movie I can think to compare it to is Santa Sangre- which should be considered a compliment. I would not recommend it for all horror fans, and it should never have been marketed as a horror film, being more of a fantasy/fairy tale.

Don't be driven away by the misleading video box, if you try it you WILL like it.

One of my favourite films

Author: God-12 from Slovenia
28 January 1999

I would hardly call this a horror film. It is a surrealistic lycantropic love story, in the cast of a dream of Red Riding Hood. Its meditative pace and sexual excitement make it a lasting memory, almost as a dream one has had.

Page 8 of 11: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]