IMDb > The Company of Wolves (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 7 of 11: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

True cult-movie

Author: Sebastian-20 from Netherlands
7 July 2001

This is a wonderful film about fairytales, werewolves, growing up into adolescence and much folklore. It is not really a horror-movie, but that doesn't matter. In the early 80's you had a couple of horror-movies, like An American werewolf in London and The Howling, which were much more successful, but "Company of wolves" has become a real cult-movie.

I liked the acting of both Sarah Patterson as Rosaleen, and Angela Lansbury as Granny, and the rest of the cast also was nice.

If you like a strange film once in a while, see this one!

Some fairy tales aren't for children...

Author: apoyser ( from Texas, United States
27 June 2000

This is an interesting film. I don't know if I'd classify it as "horror," since it seems to have more of a dark fantasy/fairy tale feel. It is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, a dream sequence, a coming-of-age story, and a werewolf movie all rolled into one.

But don't assume, because I mention fairy tales, that it's for kids. No, this is more along the lines of the original Brothers Grimm tales, and each story (told either by the grandmother or Rosaleen), has a macabre twist. I especially enjoyed the sequence about the "witch" who gets revenge on her erstwhile paramour at his wedding.

Anyway, viewers expecting a typical blood-and-gore horror flick will be disappointed. It *does* have some gory transformation scenes, but they seemed out-of-place in the movie, and its real strength, in my opinion, lay in the folkloric/fairy tale approach. Many of the images stayed with me long after I had seen the movie. It may prove inspirational to artists of any medium.

Oh, and on a purely lascivious note, you ladies may enjoy watching the "huntsman," Micha Bergese, whom Rosaleen meets on the path to her grandmother's house. ;) I certainly did.

could have been perfect

Author: pan-10
12 April 2000

Has an other-worldly effect. With Val Lewton's help, subtlety, some haunting music, his awesome lighting effects, this could have been absolutely perfect. As others have mentioned, the special effects badly mar this still-outstanding film. The irritating special effects being the very noisy and very obnoxious human to wolf transformation scenes. I think that it still could be greatly improved by editing out those scenes. 8 stars. 9 or 9 1/2 if it was edited. Stick in a Val Lewton-street musician or two and edit it and I'll give it a ten!

Imperfect but memorable realisation of Angela Carter's reinvention of the fairy tale

Author: Jeremy Dimmick from Oxford, England
23 August 1999

Visually arresting, intellectually compelling, the musical score having some fine moments and the screenplay many good ones, but 'The Company of Wolves' is let down by weak spots and some rather poor performances. Sarah Patterson looks the part but is vocally inadequate as the new Red Riding Hood; Shane Johnstone as the boy is mostly embarrassing in a thin part, from which several cries of 'Rosaleen!' might profitably have been excised. Angela Lansbury, and especially Graham Crowden as the priest, shine by comparison.

The overall look of the film is finely styled, but it was a bad mistake to try and do animatronics and transformation scenes given what was obviously a very limited budget. Suggestion would have worked rather better - as it does in the tremendous Augustan wedding scene.

The delicate, unsettling balancing act Angela Carter's story attempts between the comforting and the disturbing is the film's chief interest, though. Her tale of a true society of wolves, though they be denied other companionship, and her suggestion that awakening sexuality both male and female, though traumatic, need not always prove fatal or demoniacal, have a lot of force; and her willingness to turn at the last moment, and ask whether the comfort she has located may not itself be a comforting illusion, is rather special. One of those slightly compromised films that lingers in the memory where technically slicker, and indeed better acted ones slip away.

The magic of Neil Jordan

Author: tombstoneangel from Venezuela
7 May 2014

Personally trapped with this disturbing story about werewolves, this film production Jordan conveys such beauty that left me in love ; the story conveys so much feeling , so tenderly , that one comes to love her with all my heart , there is room for the development of terrifying subplots, dark and dramatic stories, the film has a romantic air , its atmosphere is fairytale , with delicious characters and a relentless narrative.

The effects of makeup and special effects are great, masterful performances of the entire cast , the cinematography is beautiful and penetrating ; the content of the movie you see: evil , kindness , betrayal, compassion, family issues , and the curse of the werewolves .

Sarah Patterson is beautiful and wonderful , plays Rosaleen , a smart girl , sweet , tender , she is the soul of the film; This film is a mature and very fascinating terror, is a masterpiece of cinema , love it so much that often causes , please pay attention to all quotes from the movie because everything is very deep and special.

The Company Of Wolves is one of my favorite movies.

A short recommendation

Author: Matt matt from United States
24 March 2013

90 reviews! I'm surprised! When Tower Video went out of business, this is one of the DVDs I made sure to grab in the close-out sale. The movie was so obscure that I had used it as a go-to whenever I wanted to turn someone on to a rare treat.

I won't rehash all that's been said before.

I'll just say to the guys, if you want to show a fantasy with horrific elements to a lady who can't stand horror movies, this is a great way to go.

The sexual symbolism may be open to interpretation, but I've found that this movie really got under the skin of every woman I've showed it to. Like a vivid yet unexplainable dream, the emotional charge is there despite the surrealism. Or maybe because of it.

Besides, who better to lure a nervous girl into a true fantasy than Angela Lansbury?

Mwa Ha HAAA!

Into the Woods you have to go...

Author: mark.waltz from United States
21 February 2013

Minus Stephen Sondheim's music, this Gothic horror variation of "Little Red Riding Hood" is a mixed bag to say the least. It has a confusing narrative, set up as a dream of a modern day young girl in conflict with her own family, and continues with stories being told within the dream itself. It is the surrounding story of "Red" and her granny (Angela Lansbury) that moves the story forward after Red's older sister is chased and killed by wolves. Granny's stories are either strong (the plight of a peasant woman whose first husband returns years after disappearing on their wedding night) to weak (a teen grows hair all over and is seemingly eaten up by a plant after he takes a drug given to him by a Mercedes driving stranger). When the story focuses on Red, it is most successful, and Lansbury's theatrical performance is the glue keeping it together, especially when both ladies are finally confronted by a possible werewolf.

Having seen "Into the Woods" on stage three times, I have to wonder if the show's creators may have picked up a thing or two by this. There are definite life lessons to be learned in this film's message; The werewolves themselves are quite sexy and tempting while the spiritual teachings (good werewolves are only hairy on the outside; Evil werewolves are hairy on the inside, whatever that means...) are perplexing.

The gore that comes from the special effects (including one man literally ripping off his own face) is not for the squeamish, and be forewarned: If you are arachnaphobic, there is a sequence featuring some rather large spiders which appear out of nowhere. This was a valiant effort in giving a Grimm Fairy Tale presence to Red Riding Hood's tale (certainly better than a recent version!), but it seems to have either been badly edited towards the end or a key scene or two written but dropped entirely. Lansbury fans, however, will be delighted by her elderly granny, even if at the time, she was still a very young 60. She truly utilizes the lessons of her stage career to add some interesting tidbits to her character.

If you want to see a truly great version of a Grimm Fairy Tale, I recommend "Snow White: A Tale of Terror" (1997) which is mesmerizing, and certainly a ranking above any of the other "Snow" films of the past several years.

Not for all tastes

Author: sgtking from United States
6 August 2012

Fairy tales are filled with symbolism. These stories are meant to entertain, but also teach one a lesson or two. Children may not pick up on all the subtleties, but will once they grow up. As fantastic as the stories are, they have themes we can all relate to. 'Little Red Hiding Hood,' is a prime example. The most obvious one is that children shouldn't talk to strangers. Most adaptations have sanitized the story some. This early effort by the director of 'Interview With the Vampire' and 'The Crying Game,' however explores the story's other themes like sexuality and violence. The outcome is a one of a kind experience that some will love and some will hate.

Pros: Strong performances. Beautifully directed. Grand score. Rich production design. Has a great dreamlike feel. Most of the effects are great. A lot of neat symbolism, setting the film apart from the pack (Pun intended). Well paced. Several standout sequences.

Cons: Story gets a bit muddled. A few effects haven't held up.

Final thoughts: One could call this the thinking man's Horror film. Rather than conforming to the conventions of most 80s Horror, 'The Company of Wolves' is wonderfully different. There is style to spare, but also quite a bit of substance. It's the kind of film we see little of today and that's a shame. A must see for those who really love film. Casual viewers will likely be bored.

My rating: 4/5

Author: marshalj from United States
28 October 2004

I want to challenge viewers old and new to look at the scene in the beginning where Sarah Patterson is sleep and dreaming. There are clues all over her bed and on her face as to what this "young lady" is experiencing. I am a male and figured it out. I had a couple of female friends over one day and asked them if they saw the clues. They didn't. Hmmmmmmm. I liked the musical score, the settings and the acting was very much. As to figuring out the ending, let's just say someone preferred "The Company of Wolves" to human folks. This is one of my favorite movies and I often wonder whatever happened to Sarah Patterson. She gives a sweet, innocent performance as Rosalee. Angela Landsbury does the best grandma and everyone else was just fine. This is the first Werewolf movie that shows the creature emerging from the inside out. I give this 9/10 only because some of the special effects bring attention to themselves.

the desire...

Author: Arazmataz from Uk
30 July 2003

I have seen many a movie about fictional horror-guys. And (although there is hardly much competition now) this movie has stuck in my head as one of the best of its kind. On a par with American Werewolf in london, this movie is far more based around fantasy, and the scene after that guy got married and the chic he knocked up comes back - wow. so memorable!!! i'm suprised it hasnt got a better mark on the rating scale because although its quite arty this movie is soooo enjoyable. Its fantasy and its cool as hell and other werewolf movies are all so ....ya know....they try to be real and rationalise their existence. Like Dog Soldiers or American Werewolf (Nothing compares to the hammer horror - oh yes) 9 out of 10 baby, check out 28 days later, its a film and a half!

Page 7 of 11: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]