IMDb > "Faerie Tale Theatre" Cinderella (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Faerie Tale Theatre" Cinderella (1985)

« Prev | 20 of 27 Episodes | Next »

Great!

Author: TheNovelist from houston, texas
9 February 2002

I have loved this movie since I was about five. In fact, this is how I characterize Matthew Broderick, since this was the first role I ever saw him perform. He looks so young! He did a great job of performing Prince Henry; he is so witty and is very charming in this role! Jean Stapleton is so good, she almost steals the whole show for herself! I'll take her as my fairy godmother any day! She is just so loveable and she is so funny. Jennifer Beals was very good in this role; usually Cinderella is fair haired and fair complected but Jennifer Beals is dark-haired and dark-complected, and she is still very beautiful. Jennifer Beals and Matthew Broderick's chemistry is absolutely perfect, and you would almost think they would have made a good couple! I thought that their dance number was wonderful; oh I wish I had grace! The stepmother and stepsisters were your classic love-to-hate characters and they are exactly how I would imagine the stepmother and stepsisters in a live-action performance. A very well done show. I could watch it a million times in a day if I wanted to. My mother loves it even!

One of the best!

Author: gerry-russell-139 from United States
3 April 2001

Here is one the entire family will enjoy... even those who consider themselves too old for fairy tales. Shelley Duvall outdid herself with this unique, imaginative take on nearly all of the popular fairy tales of childhood. The scripts offer new twists on the age-old fables we grew up on and they feature a handful of stars in each episode. "Cinderella" is no exception to Duvall's standard and in my opinion it's one of the top five of the series, highlighted by Jennifer Beals (remember her from "Flashdance"--and she's still in Hollywood today making a movie here and there) in the title role, Jean Stapleton as the fairy godmother with a southern accent and Eve Arden as the embodiment of wicked stepmotherhood. Edie McClurg ("Ferris Bueller's Day Off") and Jane Alden make for a hilarious duo as the stepsisters. Matthew Broderick is an affable Prince Henry. You'll all keep coming back for this one!

Great

Author: dellenwood from United States
16 July 2007

I am a big fan a Faerie Tale Theatre and I've seen them all and this is one of the best! It's funny, romantic, and a classic. I recommend this for all ages. It's great for little kids because it's well, Cinderella and great for adults and teen because it's funny and not over the top. I watched it when I was little and I still watch it now. It has great lines that my family and I quote all the time. The acting is great and it never gets old. If you like fairy tales and romances you will love this. I've watched many a Cinderella movie in my time and this is the best of them all. (Sorry Disney) I highly recommend this movie and all the Faerie Tale Theatre shows. They all appeal to all ages and are all unique and very entertaining.

Great movie

Author: Craig Rosenthal (CraigR)
6 October 1999

its a great movie. It also shows that my theory (the one i told my teacher) is right so far. In every Cinderella story, one stepsister is skinny and the other is fat. I havn't really seen the cartoon, so im assuming that one is fat.

Delightful rendition of the classic tale

Author: myrddyn from Portland, Oregon, USA
2 June 1999

This is the best of Shelley Duvall's high-quality "Faerie Tale Theatre" series. The ugly stepsisters are broadway-quality comedy relief, and Eve Arden is the personification of wicked stepmotherhood. Jennifer Beals does an excellent job as a straight Cinderella, especially in the garden scene with Matthew Broderick's Prince Charming. Jean Stapleton plays the fairy godmother well, although I'm not sure I liked the "southern lady" characterization with some of the lines. Steve Martin's comedy relief as the Royal Orchestra Conductor is quintessential Martin, but a tiny bit misplaced in the show's flow.

As is customary with the series, there are several wry comments thrown in for the older children (ages 15 and up). With a couple of small bumps, the show flows well, and they live happily ever after. Children up to age 8 will continue to watch it after the parents finally get tired of it -- I found 3 times in one day to be a little too much.