Cheech & Chong's The Corsican Brothers

not laugh-out-loud funny, but laughs accumulate

Author: iago-6 (scott@cinemademerde.com) from NYC
30 January 2004

I thoroughly enjoyed this. It is one of those movies where you won't get a lot of direct laughs, but the general level of ludicrousness accumulates over time and had me giggling a lot by about 20 minutes in. The whole idea of these two in this period piece, not to mention Chong's bizarre intensity and seriousness throughout... I don't know, it got me. I also liked that in place of the drugs (which were there, just not as directly), the general smuttiness was cranked way up... well, that appeals to me, especially from these two, but I have a soft spot for lecherous perverts. I'm glad it's in my collection!

--- Check out website devoted to bad and cheesy movies: www.cinemademerde.com

The sixth and final film (so far) from Cheech & Chong.

Author: Miyagis_Sweaty_wifebeater (sirjosephu@aol.com) from Sacramento, CA
17 August 2005

Cheech & Chong's The Corsican Brothers (1984) was a re-telling of the famous Alexandre Dumas classic novel. Cheech and Chong new that they had to market their comedy towards a different audience. There hard core fan base wasn't enough to make themselves profitable. Not only did they change their style of humor, they toned it down dramatically. Sadly, no one wanted to see a period piece starring Cheech and Chong. The movie is not horrible but it's not a laugh riot. Not wanting to end the partnership, the duo made another comedy album and a video that went along with it called GET OUT OF MY ROOM. The video was a tad under an hour and it featured the classic comedy song BORN IN EAST L.A. which would become Cheech's stepping stone towards mainstream acceptance.

Recommended for Cheech and Chong fans. Others will want to stay away from it.

At two in the morning, anything seems funny...

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
27 January 2004

Ridiculously awful, infamous "Cheech and Chong" outing has the so-called "Corsican Brothers" having more fun doing stupid things. I saw this in Britain at about two in the morning, and so it's hard to really remember anything about it (did it even have a plot?), but I did find it very goofy and silly and hard to put a rating on.

Technical value: 0/5 2:00 a.m. fun value: 3/5

Accumulative Comedy Formula Works

Author: CarelessMoonDruid from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
23 March 2007

This work lacks in the line of direct laughs. They just don't come. The humor of this work comes from an accumulative factor, the fact that sexual innuendo and outright swank are heightened to replace their usual marijuana-based venue, and the fact that these guys do not belong in this setting.

About a third of the way through, I found myself chuckling. Not from anything direct, mind you, but because the accumulative comedic elements effectively communicated the humor, and never let up.

All in all, this is a fine film. Its caustic humor wears on you until you find that you are laughing, in spite of yourself.

It rates a 6.7/10 from...

the Fiend :.

It is all in the mindset

Author: dj_oldfield-2 from United States
1 July 2006

If you are looking for deep plots which will draw you in and capture your attention for an evening, and potentially leave you thinking after the movie... this (along with everything by these two) is not your flick. I personally enjoy and appreciate it for what it is, along with the others. It is not a work of art or a fantastic story... but instead an ironic view of the world.

Well... as for the movie. It (as I am sure that everyone has read) provides two brothers of noble birth raised for some portion of their lives as peasants and separated in youth by coincidence. The brothers later unite 21 years later in a heartfelt moment (NOT) and assume each other's company for the remainder of the movie. Beyond this point, Chong utilizes his inept belligerence and desire for revolution to lead him and his brother (Cheech) through a series of perils and near misses which (as destiny would have it) leads to the unloading of a very strange guy who wields the queen's power... and thus the renewal of happiness in France in centuries past. As this alone is not enough, each brother (from day one) carries a strange connection which enables them to experience each other's feelings (both emotional and physical) and not their own... a nifty sub-plot which brings about some fun irony throughout the movie.

This is not a movie that you would wish to watch to challenge your mind... but it is wonderful when the rigors of reality tug at you and you wish to escape for a moment. I believe this to be true about all of Cheech and Chong's movies... but this slight bend of taste provides new humor not found in their all too famous stoner movies.

One final note... this (unlike others) is a decent movie to watch with kids, although I am not sure that they will understand or appreciate the humor as would an adult.

probably the lowest of all their movies

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
2 September 2006

In March, 2002, after my parents and I had seen the disturbing - but very well done - "In the Bedroom", we felt like we needed something really light, so we rented "Cheech & Chong's The Corsican Brothers"; I mean, what could be more easygoing than a movie starring filmdom's favorite goof-ball stoners? This one turned out to be probably their lowest movie ever. For starters, no drug humor. It features them as siblings in pre-revolutionary France (despite the fact that they talk like 20th century Americans) making a mess of the status quo. Much of the little humor that the movie provides derives from the fact that if one of them gets injured, the other feels it.

So, this is definitely not the Cheech & Chong movie that I recommend. Their other movies are far better. Also starring Edie McClurg and Rae Dawn Chong, and they probably prefer to omit this from their filmographies.

Rather mild comedy from Cheech and Chong, seems they really enjoyed working on the film "Yellow Beard".

Author: Aaron1375
28 June 2010

I enjoyed this movie more than "Yellow Beard", but both movies are kind of similar as they are both period pieces and departures for the two guys best known for their marijuana humor. Nothing of that sort is in this movie, but I still found it relatively humorous in places. I found it a bit funny that the hero of this one was Tommy Chong who was always the more stoned one in the other movies. I liked the humor where if pain is inflicted on one of the twins the other feels the pain, this was especially good in a torture scene involving Cheech. Still, it is a movie that probably would have been better with two other actors in the lead roles. Nothing against Cheech and Chong, but they really do not look like they belong in this movie. For the most part the rest of the cast are not A-list starts, and a lot of them seem to be related to two leads. The story is about a couple of twins that feel the others pain going against a French ruler. Not much else to it than that. Most of the jokes are about the shared pain, there are other jokes, but a lot of the other jokes not related to their shared pain miss the mark. Still the movie was mildly amusing and I thought it was better than "Yellow Beard" because that one had a plot that was kind of all over the place.

This movie is great!!!

Author: PudgeFan from Maine
9 July 2004

I just can't believe that I will ever disagree with another persons review of a movie more than the previous persons review of The Corsican Brothers. This movie is so hilarious that I own it, and have had the pleasure of watching it dozens of times. In their last good movie together, Cheech and Chong depart from the usual drug humor, and will have you rolling (pun intended!) with laughter! Set during the French Revolution, The Corsican Brothers is a laugh fest form beginning to end, and is a movie that I have and will continue to recommend to everyone that enjoys a good laugh. Anyone that could write a review stating "I didn't even smile once" had to have not understood some of the humor. Please watch this movie. You won't be disappointed.

Nice try by the comedy duo...but they fall flat

Author: NYGuy322 from New York, New York
19 December 2001

I have seen this movie many times, and every time I finish watching it,t he same commentary comes into mind. Cheech and Chong are trying very hard to make this movie funny, but they fall short of achieving that goal. The two basically have the only funny moments in the whole movie. Besides there Corsican Brothers, I could not get into any other character. Watch this only if your a big Cheech and Chong fan, or, stick to their earlier movies like Up In Smoke, Next Movie, and Nice Dreams.

A movie with no direction but backwards in time

Author: Darrin Maunders (Oddball-6) from London, England
8 July 2001

Yes. No direction is correct and backwards is the way this movie seems to go. Not just in time but in the entire plot (Or lack thereof).

The *ONLY* funny scene in this was with the white horse. But then it appealed to my vulgarity. Your mileage however may vary. Here is a movie that seems to have been made as a period comedy, but it fails on every level. Even the cameraderie of Cheech & Chong failed to ignite much laughter. Especially since I hold them in high regard for one of thier previous movies 'Up In Smoke'.

One to avoid.