IMDb > Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Unbelievably Ridiculous

Author: Mr. Pulse from Syracuse, NY
22 February 2002

Nothing in the world can prepare you for Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo. No description does it justice, no warning truly gives you an idea of what you are in store for. Few movies are as bizarre, yet oddly compelling at the same time.

Because one movie wasn't enough to contain these people; Breakin 2 picks up where the first movie picks off. Or so I assume, I haven't seen Breakin, but the three main characters Kelly (Lucinda Dickey), Ozone (Adolfo Quinones) and Turbo (Michael Chambers) are the same. In this installment the trio try to save a youth center named Miracles from the clutches of evil (read: white and unhip) government bigwigs who want to bulldoze the unsafe building and make way for a new shopping center.

It's fortunate that the trio live in an alternate universe in which breakdancing can solve all of society's ills. No exaggeration here; over the course of ninety-four boogie filled minutes, dancing stops bulldozers, pays bills, ends gang wars, and even cures the ill and the infirm (One person bounds out of the wheelchair in jubilation; apparently they simply forgot they could walk). There is so much dancing in this movie that it frequently appears that the plot is intruding on it, and not the other way around. These are people who work a hard day's living dancing then go home and blow off some steam by, what else, dancing.

This isn't a poorly made movie in the traditional sense; it isn't full of continuity holes or bad special effects. For all its silliness, it probably succeeds in exactly the way it wanted to; as a movie about people who love breakdancing so much they'd rather do that than say, eat, sleep, converse, or share meaningful human contact. More than fifteen years later, it's terribly quaint, and hilariously dated. But it has a city-wide dance party, a hospital-wide dance party, a dance-filled climax (a shock, I know) and two performances by Ice-T. What more do you want? Do yourself a favor and rent this movie. By the end, you'll be dancing too.

Off The Heazy!!

Author: LARRYLOVE711 from United States
9 September 2002

Let's get one thing straight......If you haven't lived the Hip-Hop lifestyle, you cannot properly judge this movie in ANY negative manner. I was a teenager in the mid 80's and danced (electric boogie) in the streets and roller rinks of NY for 4+ years. I went to LA when I was 16 and battled other dancers on Venice Beach, which was the MECCA of electric boogie street dancers.

This movie was the best of it's kind!! Michael "Boogaloo Shrimp" Chambers was arguably the best in the craft and shined in both this movie and it's predecessor. Don't view this movie looking for a wealth of incredible acting, but do watch it for some amazing street dancing and a very likeable cast with a good storyline. I LOVED this movie and still do. Every time I see it, I'm transported from my office back to my carefree teenage years, where my biggest problems were what to wear when dancing and what music I was going to boogie to!

I'm popping and throwing waves as I write............

The Best Back Then

Author: Mama Mia from New York, New Yorkk
5 May 2001

Somehow I never managed to see the original Breakin but from what I've read it's not necessary. I saw this movie as a child in the 80's and I was enthralled. I guess it's my dancer nature that drew me in. I watched this movie for years seriously. Today, however, it's extremely funny. It's so cheesy that I question how I sat thru it once. Then the breakdancing resumes and I remember why. Even though the film is a comedy to me now, I recommend it to anyone who can still relate to the eighties objectively.

Breakin 2

Author: Tim Cox from Marietta, OH
12 May 1999

Nothing changed here. Story's still the same. People are still break dancing! This sequel was made within not even a full year after the original. Gotta love the 80's.

There's not stoppin' them

Author: Movie Buff from United Kingdom
25 August 2006

You have just finished watching Breakin' - and feel like you want to go out onto the streets and find a group of people to dance with, then you realise that your about 20 years too late and the only gangs hanging around your neighbourhood are not interested in dancing.

Your spirits drop, realising that you can never get back your youth...

But then you remember, you also own Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo and you get back on your sofa and spend another couple of hours with a friendly group of Break Dancers who only want to support their local amenities... They don't use violence (apart from perhaps some suggestive popping' and lockin' moves), they don't use guns or drugs and they even get their rival street gang to kiss and make up with them in order to protect their hood from the City Suits.

Where else could you get a story line like that? Take it for what it is - great music, great dancing, great fun!

It's the cheeziest!!!

Author: Kevin Smith (constructionbob@yahoo.com) from Dallas, TX
15 May 2000

No, Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo will never win any awards. It'll never even come close, but for some strange reason I still enjoy it. I'd much rather spend a night watching it than some pretentious Hollywood garbage like Armegeddon. Let's see if I can find a few reasons why.

This movie is sort of like a Scooby Doo episode-you know the plot already, and can predict it easily. Oh no! The youth center's in trouble! How much you wanna bet that the Breakin' kids will come through with the money just in time to save it? How much you wanna bet that'll involve an inordinate number of spontaneous dance scenes, and supa-dope fly moves? Yep, you might be able to guess the answers.

It's just fun to see these people play it out, because they're obviously having fun. Yeah, even the straights like Kelly's parents finally get on the train. And watch for the scene in the hospital. Yes, the miraculous power of break dancing can bring your loved ones back from the dead!

Oh well, maybe I can't defend this intellectually, but this movie's still great. Watch it, and just try to do the robot as well as Turbo or Ozone...just be careful, or you might actually have fun too...

This film is what the 80's was all about!

Author: Adrian Nonyelu from Lewisham, London
4 September 2004

Yeah the film is predictable, poorly acted, & the clothes.... well! yet this is exactly was the 80's was all about & why it was the best decade ever. I mean tell me, who didn't enjoy police academy, porkies, those silly troma films & all those ridiculous teenage slasher movies. & then we have the transformers, he-man, visionaries & the best cartoon ever made the THUNDERCATS.... HO! My point is basically the 80's was about having fun & was represented by film, TV & especially music... gap band, shalamar, earth, wind & fire... kool & the gang, & of course the greatest of them all MICHAEL JACKSON (yo' all know!) So in essence remember this film, & it should make you smile & remember just how great life is & how great it was growing up & living through all those silly movies & knight rider, street hawk, tj hooker, automan, airwolf etc & you all remember leg warmers & fluorescent socks & especially wearing shorts on top of your trousers (pants lol) & Mr T long live the A-Team & viva the 80's

It Ain't Brain Surgery It's Just Entertainment!

Author: DarylKMiddlebrook from Hollywood, CA
25 April 2004

Let me start by acknowledging that Breakin 2 (the sequel to 1984's Breakin, which was a box office hit) IS NOT a great movie. The acting is weak, the plot very "Andy Hardy," and the dialog, well let just say, it wouldn't have been any better if Golan/Globus would have gotten Denzel Washington and Meryl Streep to star in this film. That being said, let me now state that Breakin 2 IS NOT a "bad movie" either. It is what it is, mindless entertainment. The dancing, while not as riveting as it's predecessor, is enjoyable. The clothes (remember this is the 80's), well they're a laugh in themselves. The cast are all attractive (Lucinda Dickey looks hot as hell in this one, and check out Sonny Bono's sexy ex-wife Susie Coelho playing Kelly's rival).

The thinly written plot of Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo takes up where Breakin left off. Kelly (Dickey), Ozone (Aldolfo "Shabba Doo" Quinones) and Turbo (the phenomenal Michael "Boogalo Shrimp" Chambers have finished up what appears to have been a short run of their musical "Street People." Having gone their separate ways, Kelly is finding life in the chorus line a dead end. Unlike Ozone and Turbo, Kelly is not a product of the streets, and must also deal with her stereotypically written "rich parents," who want her to stop wasting her life dancing and go to Princeton. Needing a break from the lifestyle of the rich and famous, she goes to visit her "boyz in the hood" buds Ozone and Turbo, who seem to have found a better niche in life, teaching kids at a community center in East Los Angeles.

Enter bad guy real estate developer Mr. Douglas (character actor Peter MacLean), who wants to buy the land where the rec center sits and build a shopping mall. Kelly rejoins her ghetto comrades to stand against Douglas, and the city, who holds the lease on the building. The city does gives the trio one month to raise $150,000 to get the old center up to building standards or lose it to Douglas. How will they do it? How else, by putting on a street carnival (I told you this wasn't Pulp Fiction). Sub-plots include Kelly's racist parent attempting to bribe her by offering to bail out the center(only if she denounces her street friends and goes to college), and Kelly and Ozone's phantom romance (they never seriously kiss or get romantic in either film, which was the norm for interracial affairs in the 80's).

As stated earlier, where this movie shines is in the dancing. Ozone's rooftop number and Turbo's dancing on the ceiling are very enjoyable. The soundtrack wasn't as ripping as the original, but it's listenable without being annoying. The one other redeemable trait of Breakin 2, is it's attempt (no matter how lame an attempt) to portray a part of American culture that few people outside of major cities such as Los Angeles and New York knew anything about. In the eighties, you could count the number of minority themed films on one hand, so given it's very low budget, Breakin 2 at least served up a decent laugh and some head bobbin "make you smile" hoofin'.

Bottom line, if you're looking for Academy Award performances, solid acting, excellent writing and a thought provoking storyline, AVOID THIS FILM. However, if you want a look (albeit a somewhat watered down, white bread look) at a phenomenal eighties American fad called Break Dancing, check it out and enjoy the music and the dancing. That's all Golan/Globus was trying to make, and that's all this movie has to offer.

Doom DaDa!!!

Author: Grace from Austin, Texas
14 July 2003

For all the B-Boy and all the B-Girls.... This movie represents! I wouldn't expect anyone who didn't live the breaker life to appreciate it. I get just as excited watching this film as I did when I was little. It's a classic!

movie

Author: rain_3101 from United States
17 May 2006

Breakin 2 its a wonderful movie with wonderful purpose to it, were kids can be kids and music and dance were once fun and people get long people don't get long. and people try to take things over and shut them down cause they got money and they think the kids don't which is crap and bull. they shouldn't be so mean its not right to brag your rich when there are people who aren't or have no money period just not right. this movie shows u that and it rocks 10 of 10 it is just right for kids and adults to watch together so enjoy it. ozone and turbo are great to kelly all the gang it is very good movie for its time. hopefully it will be around for my son to watch it when he gets older for he can enjoy it to like i did when i was younger and now as I'm older i hope he can enjoy it.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]