IMDb > Breakin' (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Breakin'

Breakin' More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

AIN'T NO STOPPIN' A GOOD MOVIE!

Author: zach-27 from ST. LOUIS, MISSOURI
29 October 2001

I just viewed an old tape of "Breakin'" last night. It's been 17 years since I first viewed it at the movies. However, I can't believe the powerful effect it still has on me. Yes, admittedly, the plot is not original, the screenplay is truly by-the-numbers, and the acting is generally amateurish. Yet, in spite of these shortcomings, the movie is still catchy, sincere, and engrossing. That's because of the talented stars who really love what they do, namely, breakdancing and "poppin' and lockin'," along with the stimulating, get-on-your-feet dance music.

This movie is like a time capsule of the 80s, with hints of the future. Moreover, I still find it to be inspirational, motivational, and hypnotic. Looking at these streetdancers and the jazz dancer go after their dreams with sheer determination, talent, and grit makes me want to jump up and do the same thing! Yes, I'm nearly fifty, but looking at this movie gave me another shot of adrenalin to do what I need to do in my daily life. "Ain't no stoppin' us" is the endless musical mantra in "Breakin'"...nothing stopped the dancers, and nothing's going to stop me, either. Watch "Breakin'" for yourself, and you'll see what I mean. 9/10 Rating.

"Rocky," only the sport is break dancing.

Author: heilborn from San Francisco
20 February 2004

The plot is simple, the acting is spare, but the dancing, which is the whole reason for the show, is exceptional and still fresh after 20 years. If you love dancing, give a view. If you love dancing, it won't disappoint you.

A really bad movie, and I loved every minute of it!

Author: realdealholifield from Sweden
14 February 2006

Let's just say that I'm not surprised to see such a low rating for this movie. The acting was a joke. The plot, as predictable as can be. And Ice T sounds like pure shh... OK, now that we've gotten the bad stuff out of the way, let's sit back and enjoy the show. Because as other reviewers have said, this is an 80's flick. And yes everything about the 80's seems silly and lame to us now. But if you take a moment to think back, that's how the 80's were. Despite all it's weaknesses, this still is an enjoyable film. So loosen up, watch the movie, and have a little fun.

Oh and by the way, I'm giving this film a 9, not based it's technical merit, but purely for the fun factor!

A gulity pleasure

Author: DunnDeeDaGreat from Woodbridge, VA
17 September 2001

Breakin may have been made for one sole purpose to cash in on the break dancing phase but it's still a great film. Yeah the plot 's a bit contrived but who cares the soundtrack and dancing are great and that's all that matters.

Classic '80s at it's best!

Author: dgordon-1 from Toronto, Canada
14 May 2002

I fondly remember this movie, and it's soundtrack. Ollie & Jerry's "There's No Stoppin' Us" and all the other classic tunes included in this Golan & Globus "breakploitation" masterpiece. The energy, and all the actors are what make this movie special. The plot consists of the character of Kelly working in a greasy spoon, and takes dance training from a lecherous teacher. One day one of her friends introduces her to Ozone & Turbo, and the rest is history, after this everyone is bustin' a move! It's no academy award winner, but it's a fun movie. The storyline, all the dancing & the music make this a must have movie for anybody that loves movies from the '80s and/or breakdancing.

bringing back the memories

Author: gjxsdda from United States
19 October 2006

well as an adult watching back on what i used too do myself in the streets of NYC. This movie brought back memories i thought i had forgotten.Ozone and Turbo inspired me and it rekindled what i had lost as a child now as an adult.Memories last a lifetime and i wish i was back in the 80's again!I sit here now as adult wondering where my childhood idols are at now.Trying too think where all this time went, Being able too look up there Bio's is cool.Just wish that breakn'3 could have been made,that would be something truly unique.The movie was very in-depth of how it was growing up back then dancing in the streets and wondering if our dreams of making it big would come true. Just to get out and experience what life on the other side could have been like for a child in the hood.

pop and lock.

Author: johnnymovieboy from United States
15 May 2005

A true b-movie classic... pop and lock it, baby. Everything about this movie is funny watching it today. The wardrobes are awesome. They're so bad that they're good. The acting is so stilted and straight that you can't help but dig it, and the storyline is very predictable, but somehow does the job, and gets you to remain interested in the story in a 80's kind of way. This whole film is almost camp now. But the Break dancing is off the chain... Breaking 2 - Electric Boogaloo is even better! I'm surprised movies used to be this simple? Amazing how times and movies change, seems like usually for the better if you're looking at it from a modern sensibility. It's dated, but totally cool and fun to watch with friends...

One of the best dance films

Author: Nick Napolitano from Vernon, New Jersey
10 January 2004

Breakin' is an incredible dance movie, although the story is a bit weak. And sure the dancers aren't the best actors, but hey, could an average actor really dance that well? And the soundtrack is perfect,but it is out of print. The movie itself is sort of hard to find, being recently reissued on DVD, I've only seen copies at Best Buy. Here is my rubric: Feel Good Effect: 10/10 Storyline: 8/10 Acting: 8/10 Soundtrack: 10/10 Dancing: 10/10 Believability: 9/10 Costumes: 10/10 Overall Style: 9.5/10 My Rating: 10/10

Good..for what it is!

Author: lee nicholson (leeio2002@yahoo.co.uk) from middlesbrough, england
25 January 2003

OK, so it's no Oscar winner, and it's plot does'nt run rings round THE NINTH CONFIGURATION, but for all it's faults (and they are many!) BREAKIN (breakdance in the UK) is good, slightly corny fun, for all those who tried to spin on their heads in the early eighties. LUCINDA DICKEY (a CANNON regular, check her out in NINJA 3;THE DOMINATION!)) plays Kelly, struggling dancer/waitress, who dreams of appearing in a big musical. She is introduced to two 'break'dancers (OZONE and TURBO) by her (very homosexual) dancing partner (replete with pink gear and camp looks to camera) And even though the dance fraternity pour scorn on a classicly trained dancer melding her style with 'ghetto' dancing, Kelly, Turbo and Ozone take on the bigwigs, and prove that dancing (of any origin) is universal. BREAKIN was released by GOLAN/GLOBUS, who imedietly rushed out a sequel (BREAKIN 2; ELECTRIC BOOGALOO) the same year (the sequel is pretty sh*t, by the way!) and for sheer 'BREAK' dancing, BEAT STREET wins hands down. BREAKIN, involves more 'body-poppin', than actual break dancing. Nonetheless, the movie is light enough, free of the pretension that sunk FLASHDANCE, and has a very good soundtrack, including "aint nobody" and "tour de France" add to that, a young(ish) ICE T cameo.....AND if you can spot him, a young JEAN CLAUDE VAN DAMME, dancing in the background in the opening sequence in venice beach (clue; he's wearing a similar all-in-one black body suit, that he wore in LIONHEART (aka AWOL in UK) A good solid movie/time capsual/soundtrack/laugh/innofensive family movie 10 out of 10

A glimpse of what hip hop was to become

Author: John Book from Pasco, Washington
16 June 2000

Back in 1984, hip hop as a social phenomenon didn't exist. Hip hop was still the "trendy" music from New York City that somehow was gaining the attention of Hollywood. For some, it was great, for others it was the beginning of something that has yet to be recaptured, the innocence of a new and fresh musical artform, and a culture.

Nonetheless, "Breakin'" is a film that takes place in California where Kelly (Lucinda Dickey) is hoping to make it with her dancing. He goes to the beach and catches a dance routine with a few breakdancers, Turbo and Ozone. She loves it, and eventually becomes their friend. One of them finds her attractive, the other chooses to pop his way through life. Kelly's family doesn't want her to be hanging around with the "hoodlums", but Turbo and Ozone simply want to hang out and have fun. Kelly finds herself learning the street-style of dance, and treats it as a serious artform rather than a bunch of guys dancing on cardboard for the hell of it. Looking back, it seems very much like a Hollywood version of what can really happen when two cultures clash (shades of "West Side Story"), but the film has good music, good dancing, a decent story, and it looks back at a time when hip hop as a whole was trying its hardest to gain respect.

Five extra points for Lucinda Dickey, who was easily one of the more beautiful actresses of the 80's.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]