IMDb > "Who's the Boss?" (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Who's the Boss?"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Who's the Boss?" More at IMDbPro »

Never given the credit deserved

Author: esfaith from Ohio, USA
29 December 1999

I know that Who's The Boss? is a fondly remembered show of the 80s, yet I don't think it ever got the credit it deserved. Although it blends in as a sitcom just like the many others of its decade, I believe it stands alone in other ways. The cast is highly talented and the chemistry was amazing. Especially between Tony Danza and Judith Light's characters. No one can beat the quick wit of Katherine Helmond's Mona, and it takes a heck of a good actress to make the character what it was. The sexual tension between Angela and Tony is what everyone seems to remember when they discuss this show, and the writers kept it going for seven years before the characters finally confessed their love. I think this long running courtship makes the show stand out because it was done so well and so believably when in reality the concept is quite farfetched. Throw in a couple of cute and funny kids who developed into great actors themselves, and I think you have one of the BEST sitcoms of the 80s. Long live the reruns in cable!

One of the best sit-coms ever...

Author: Libby-20 from USA
22 April 2000

I love Who's the Boss, and I would absolutely rate it as one of the best sit-coms ever, even though I have rarely if ever seen it actually given this credit. Maybe I am biased because its my favorite show. Or maybe because I spent my childhood watching it, and for me, this show encompasses so many memories of the 80's, along with Cyndi Lauper, Garbage Pail Kids and Jelly shoes. But, actually, even though I am biased in a sense, I could still be right. I have never seen another sit-com that has had me on the edge of my seat, so awaiting the next episode. I have been lucky enough to see Who's the Boss on cable recently to refresh my mind, and it is only better now that I am old enough to appreciate the relationship between Tony and Angela. I can also appreciate the characters more in-depth, and I can analyze why Tony and Angela are the way they are, why it is so hard for them to admit their love to each other, and I can finally appreciate it when they DO declare their love for each other... If you are a romantic, you'll love this show! It has sweetness, laughter, romance, goofiness and much much more. There are a lot of very good sit-coms that can offer one or a few of the aspects that Who's the Boss offers, but only WTB has it all. To top it off, the acting of mostly everyone on the show is excellent, especially Judith Light and Tony Danza. If you love to watch great couples and you're sick of the sappy soap operas (which were only good when Judith Light was on OLTL, LOL:-) then you have to give WTB a chance. You'll get hooked. And this show definitely should have gotten MUCH more recognition!

Amazing boss / housekeeper chemistry lights up hilarious sitcom

Author: roghache from Canada
24 April 2006

This is an incredibly entertaining sitcom, one of the best ever of the family comedy genre. Actually, there are two families here who sort of merge into one, both physically (sharing the same house) and emotionally (sibling spats and so on, but genuine care & concern).

The series revolves around a fairly affluent, divorced New York City advertising executive, Angela Bauer, who lives in a lovely colonial home in Connecticut with her rather shy & insecure young son, Jonathan. There are frequent visits from her man hungry mother, Mona, who eventually moves into an apartment over the garage. In the meantime, Angela hires an unusual, macho appearing Italian housekeeper hunk from Brooklyn, Tony Micelli, who is anxious to give his teenage daughter, Samantha, the greater opportunities that accompany a suburban life. Tony & Sam move in and the two families combine, so to speak.

The relationship between Angela and Tony makes this series. Angela, the serious career woman, begins to rely heavily on Tony not only for domestic management, but also as a surrogate dad for son Jonathan. In the process Tony and Angela become best friends, share both laughs and tears, and exchange advice on everything from clothing styles to parenting to love interests. Naturally, romantic feelings develop between Angela and Tony and the chemistry & sexual tension of this unconsummated relationship are at the heart of the ongoing story. There are some pretty funny situations...Angela & Tony kissing after becoming a bit tipsy, Tony inadvertently walking in on Angela as she's just getting out of the shower, a scenario where the pair are forced to sleep in the same bed. Are you getting the picture? This ongoing situation is just so much more entertaining than modern sitcoms where everyone hops into bed straight away.

Judith Light and Tony Danza are both magnificent in their roles. Light plays the workaholic, uptight Angela to perfection and no one could possibly impart more charisma to housekeeper Tony than Danza does. Katherine Helmond is brilliantly cast as the vixen mother, Mona. Danny Pintauro plays the cute Jonathan and Alyssa Milano puts real pizazz into her portrayal of Sam, a pretty & very social teenager who, typical of her age, is constantly on an emotional roller coaster and keeps the household in a state of continuous uproar.

This is a brilliant and hilarious series with a clever, unique take on the employer / employee relationship.

Never gets tiring

Author: chescagab from Canada
14 February 2007

I've recently discovered this show through a bunch of DVD's of all 8 seasons. Out of all the sitcoms I have ever watched, I must say they don't make comedy like they used to.

The acting was great and the cast fits perfectly. Tony Danza as a warm, caring but overprotective father. Judith Light as an uptight, conservative executive. Alyssa Milano and Danny Pintauro played the children perfectly. What was interesting is how the characters evolved so well as the times changed. In the latter parts of the episodes, Angela has learned to be more relaxed. Sam and Jonathan have become more like siblings as evidenced by their fights in some of the episodes. The only character I didn't like was Billy, but it's great that they got rid of him. The kid was a good actor, it's just he didn't 'fit'. The family was formed by this time as being Tony, Angela, Sam and Jonathan with well-timed comments from Mona, so to introduce a kid that late didn't bode well for the chemistry.

The plot was well written with the sexual tension between Tony and Angela being apparent as early as the pilot episode. I liked how it eventually developed and the suspense of Tony and Angela getting together made me watch more episodes. I thought the transition from being friends to 'maybe something more' could have been developed further, but the ending was so sweet! Watching the ending made me think that "Who's the Boss" really came full circle. This is the first time I have ever seen this show, and I can appreciate the feelings Tony and Angela have for each other and how difficult this was to express at times.

Although it was a comedy and it had its corny moments, it was really very touching with the right amount of laughter and suspense. Definitely one of, and arguably, the best comedy of its kind. They should do a reunion episode!

If you were alive in the 80s you have at least heard of this show

Author: Jonas from Seattle
7 October 2002

I am so glad to see reruns of this show again. It is so much fun to watch, and it's nostalgic. I like all the characters except for Danny (when he was older his voice sounds....well we won't go there) As the seasons go on, though, Angela and Tony are the main focus of the show anyway. I don't get the whole Billy thing, why do shows always do that? It's almost a guarantee that it's going to be dead in its track within a year or two. Anyway it did run for a long time, and I love the final episode. You get to decide how they end. They need to do a reunion show.

A classic family sitcom

Author: BatPhrOg from TN
1 January 2001

Who's the Boss? is no exception to the classic family sitcoms of the 80's and early 90's. It was a really great show and it was definitely Alyssa Milano's best acting job to date. Just like everyone else said I was also too young to realize the chemistry between Tony Danza and Judith Light but now that I watch reruns on Fox Family I understand it more. Mona was just a hilarious character to the show and I'm glad she was on it. It was definitely an underrated show. It lasted for a healthy 8 or 9 seasons but isn't quite as popular as the other sitcoms of it's time which is truly sad.

Great writing and acting

Author: Rachel-20 from California
14 November 2000

This show is one of my favorites to watch in re-runs. The quality of acting among the main characters elevated this to a level close to that of a good stage play, rather than that of the throwaway sitcoms that are so prevalent in prime time nowadays. The writers and actors together did a wonderful job of creating and maintaining emotional and sexual tension between Angela and Tony. It's so effective that in certain parts of some episodes I can feel the heart-pounding, did-he-mean-what-I-thought-he-meant, oh-my-gosh-I-think-he-really-likes-me tension right along with the characters in the show. And that kind of emotional effect just doesn't happen often with TV shows. It shows especial skill that they were able to maintain the chemistry and tension over an eight-year period, without it wearing thin or becoming too predictable.

Judith Light is a wonderful actress. It is a mystery to me why she has been stuck in the realm of made-for-TV movies and infomercials since the end of this series. I think she belongs on the stage, personally. And to me, Tony Danza will always be Tony "oh hey, hey oh!" Micelli.

They never should have brought in Billy, though. He was a cute kid, but at that point the show foundered for a while. It did recover in the last season and the final episode actually leaves me in tears when I see it.

I LOVE WHO'S THE BOSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Author: Cherisse Lemmon (Rissey1992@cs.com) from OR, USA
19 August 2004

I adore Who's the Boss! Who's the Boss is suspenseful with Angela and Tony's relationship, and adorable with all of the childish problems of Sam and Jonathon. Plus, the boy cray Mona reminds me of a teenager. I think the acting skills of the cast was remarkable! Judith Light played the perfect respectable business woman. She could go from uptight and angry to love sick over Tony at any moment... And Tony Danza could do the same. He could be angry or sad or whatever and then transition right into "oh Angela... you... you look nice." And he wasn't very hard on the eyes, if you know what I mean. (Also, Light and Danza played great drunk people.)Alissa Milano played the best teenager TV has seen yet. I would know... I am a teenager myself. She could make her self laugh, cry, look angry, or have any expression needed at any moment! The part of a teenage girl is very demanding and she played it well. Danny Pintauro played a cute little kid. He was always happy which was very important. And Katherine Helmond could not have played her part any better. She could yell like an out of control teen, she could act like an grandmother/mother. She was amazing. As you can see, Who's the Boss was a sensational series

Too great for words!

Author: Cherisse Lemmon (Rissey1992@cs.com) from Oregon, USA
28 August 2004

Who's the Boss? was a hit television show that was too great for words, but I guess I have to use them. I love the spectacular acting of Judith Light and Tony Danza. Their characters were in love and nobody could have played love better. The way they could look deeply into each other's eyes on the set, and act as if they couldn't breath, couldn't talk, couldn't move, all they could do was love. Katherine Helmond played the boy-crazy mother so well. She has this zany, saucy character that would be far too dificult for some, but she knew how to act as if every guy that crossed her path was the hottest man alive. Alissa Milano played the character of a young teenager better than TV has ever seen! She could go from mad, to sad, to excited, to happy, to any emotion within a matter of seconds which is a vital talent when are playing the part of a young teen. Danny Pintauro was the perfect young, annoying, little brother type, "King Cobra"... it was as if he transformed into Jonathon and really felt the part. He probably loves snakes as much as Jonathon did, after acting so much, so well, it tends to rub off oen, ten being the best, one being the worst, I would give it 20! WHO'S THE BOSS? ROCKS!!!!!!!n you. The clothes were very nice also. The perfect outfits to go along with the perfect hairstyles of the 80s. TV has never seen a TV series so well planned, produced, directed, acted out, or anything. If I were to rate Who's the Boss? on a scale of one to ten, ten being the best, one being the worst, I would give Who's the Boss? a 20! WHO'S THE BOSS? ROCKS!!!!!!!

There's a time for love and a time for living

Author: boycebrown-1
7 July 2003

This show warmed my heart for many years. At first, I must say that Samantha was my favourite character. I'm sorry but everything was just a little too perfect for her. I loved Jonathon, and Mona, I guess is my favourite now. She was the bubbling brown sugar of the show. Between Angela and Tony, I do think that they should have hooked up sooner, I wish I saw their wedding. It could have easily run for ten years, but what can you do? I think the mistake that got the show cancelled was marrying Sam off too fast. I despised her husband from the moment I first saw him.