IMDb > "Thomas & Friends" (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Thomas & Friends" More at IMDbPro »"Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends" (original title)

Amazing!

Author: Pika K from Bath, England
25 January 2002

Thomas the Tank Engine has been around on the television since 1984, and its clear to see why. Everything is made to a great standard of quality, and it offers a sense of originality.

Who would of thought that The Reverend Wilbert Awdry had originally only written these stories as bed time stories for Christopher Awdry, when he was ill. These stories were first written during the 1920's, and when they eventually got published into books, known as The Railway Series, and then onto television.

Although not all the stories are based on The Railway Series lately, they still have the same impact.

I think its safe to say that Thomas and his friends will be around for a very long time to come.

A classic series!

Author: action-6 from Froland, Norway
25 May 2000

Thomas the tank engine is a real classic series. The series is about a group of trains on an island. The railroads, the trains and the scenery are all very well-made, and it is worth seeing some episodes just for that. I remember watching the series when I was a kid, and I still still like to watch an episode now and then.

A Great Show For All Ages

Author: Jemarus from Fayetteville, Georgia
24 July 2006

Even though Thomas the Tank Engine is aimed at children, adults can enjoy it just as much as kids. That is because unlike many children's shows today, Thomas the Tank Engine does not dumb the show down to ridiculously low levels. Children of all ages, even infants, can learn lots of things by watching this show...possibly even more so than the dumbed-down kids shows they have now. All the characters are fantastic, and the setting looks so realistic and well designed. Although the show's golden years are probably over, its new episodes are still relatively decent. May Thomas the Tank Engine live on for generations and generations!

A Wonderful Series For Toddlers As Well As Grownups!

Author: Aileen from New Jersey
29 January 2003

I never watched Thomas as a kid. I didn't know about Thomas the Tank Engine until several years ago. My son got into Thomas when he was about a year old. One of his playmates had a lot of Thomas trains and he played with them a lot whenever they saw each other. I thought that since my son liked playing with the trains, he might like watching the series. I bought him The Best of James on DVD and he loved it! He is now 18 months old, and he dances to the music in between each story. I like the series because it teaches kids about working together as a team, and lending a helping had when someone really needs it (like the time James' brakes were jammed and Percy had to come and rescue him, or when James realized he was going too fast because he had no driver and Edward had to come and rescue him)and the value of friendship and being honest.

Really cute, fun., and entertaining show

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
19 July 2007

Wow! This is a really cute, fun, and entertaining show. I said that because I watch this on Nickelodeon and the Noggin network with my 2½-year-old nephew from time to time. It's hard to say which show on Nickelodeon and the Noggin network is the best. If I had to pick, this would definitely be one of the cutest. Still it's really cute, fun, entertaining, and educational. Also, it's hard to say which episode is my favorite. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that the people at Nickelodeon and the Noggin network really know how to reach a toddler's developing mind. Now, in conclusion, if you have children, nieces, or nephews, I strongly recommend this really cute, fun, and entertaining. I guarantee you that they will enjoy it.

Thomas the tank engine

Author: steam_loco_lad89 from United Kingdom
4 August 2006

I speak not only as a thomas the tank engine fan, but as a rail enthusiast and volunteer on a preserved railway, that thomas the tank engine is the best children's stories based on railways of all time. as i am myself a railway worker, i have been introduced to tasks and jobs that have been accurately included and described in thomas the tank engine, although the later stories are a bit of a disappointment to me as they seem to lack the element of the original railway knowledge and enthusiasm. but they are still very good stories and i will certain to say that i will indeed introduce thomas the tank engine to my children, and then the real thing of course as i have been. it did surprise me how real the stories really are, as many incidents and situations included in the stories are based on real locomotives and situations in the railway world, most children's stories are completely fiction and totally deny the gratitude and the commendation that they deserve for creating the 21st century possible. thank you reverand awdry for making my railway life a reality.

Best TV show ever.

Author: mikedealy from United States
17 February 2010

I'm currently 14 years old, and I still love this show, and I don't care what anyone else thinks. I've been a fan of "Thomas the Tank Engine" ever since I was born. In fact, I grew up with this show. It's about a blue tank engine named Thomas who lives on the Island of Sodor with all of his friends. He goes out on adventures whether pulling passengers or shunting freight cars in the quarry. I own a lot of videos and DVDs of this show, but the first Thomas tape I've ever watched in my life could be possibly "Thomas Gets Tricked".

My favorite character from this show would be Percy the small green engine. Some evidence from that is green is my favorite color and I like the number 6. My other favorite characters include James, Edward, Toby, and Thomas himself. Overall, "Thomas the Tank Engine" is a timeless classic that can be enjoyed by any person of any age. This is the best show ever.

Final Score: 100/100 (Awesome)

Classic series, that kids are guaranteed to love

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
5 January 2010

I admit it, while I am 17 now, I am still quite found of Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends. And I loved it as a kid, in fact my whole family did, so much so my brother was literally obsessed with it, having his own Thomas train set and everything. This series is simply put a classic, with outstanding story ideas, and stay true to the brilliant stories by Reverend Wilbert Awdry. The setting for especially the Island of Sodor itself is fantastically done, almost exactly as I would visualise it. And the characters are engaging, from the main character down to the secondary ones. The Fat Controller/Sir Topham Hatt has a certain firmness but genuinely cares for the trains, who without a doubt steal the show. As much as I like James, Gordon and Percy, Thomas will always be my favourite. The music is memorable and easy for young toddlers to hum along too and the narration was perfect. If I did have a complaint, and a minor one, I do agree that the newer episodes are inferior in quality to the older ones, but they are still watchable. All in all, a must watch while you are growing up. 10/10 Bethany Cox

"Peep! Peep!"

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
24 December 2002

[MAY BE SPOILERS]

On the magical Island of Sodor is a railway, operated by Sir Topham Hatt. The engines on his line consist of: Thomas the Tank Engine, Edward the Blue Engine, Henry the Long Green Engine, Gordon the Even Longer Blue Engine, James the Red Engine, Percy the Small Engine, Toby the Tram Engine, Montaque "Duck" the Great Western Engine, and Donald and Douglas the Scottish Twin Engines. Sir Topham Hatt found Percy in a work shop and rescued Toby when his line closed down. He brought Duck to work on the line who had a run-in with Diesel, a caniving diesel engine. He spread rumors about Gordon, James and Henry to the freight cars and claimed Duck said them. Diesel wasn't the only diesel on the island. There was Mavis, the quarry diesel. Toby tries to teach her about freight cars but she won't listen which get's her into trouble; Daisy, a passenger diesel who's stuck-up; Boco, a yard diesel. Once, he took freight cars that small twin engines Bill and Ben collected and they called him a "diseasel". Bill and Ben work at the clay works and cause trouble for Boco and Edward. But the cast grew and grew! Bertie the bus challenged Thomas to a race and they became friends; Terence the tractor rescued Thomas from a snow drift; Trevor the Traction Enine was found in the scrap yard by Edward and brought to live at the vickerage. Bulgy, a double-decker bus, found trouble when cheating passengers so he was only a bus for one day; George the steam roller is nothing but trouble to the engines! And let's not forget Oliver, who was rescued from scrap by Douglas! And Harold the helicopter was there too.

The freight cars are nothing but trouble! They always get the engines into trouble, like the time they pushed James into some tar wagon and made him look disgraceful! Or the time they pushed Oliver into the turn-table well, pushed Percy into the water, and more! The cast grew and grew as time went by and we met small engines Duke, Sir Handel, Peter Sam, Rhineas, Skarloey, Rusty and Stepney. Then came Cranky the Crane, Derek the Faulty Diesel, Old Slow Coach, Salty the doc diesel, Harvey the crane engine, it goes on and on! Ringo Starr was the first and best narrator! He was placed by George Carlin who wasn't as good but we got used to him as time went by and about four years ago, he was replaced by Alec Baldwin who is the current narrator. So no matter what the adventure (whether it's James getting his coaches mended by bootlaces, Thomas crashing into the station master's house, Duck crashing into a barber shop, Henry ramming into another train and go flying off the rails, Gordon rolling into a ditch, Toby on a collapsing bridge or Thomas meeting the queen, Percy helping at Mrs. Kindly's daughter's wedding, James getting the better of some troublesome trucks, and Gordon pulling the Express) there's always something fascinating going on on the Island of Sodor!

I used to watch these adventures on Shining Time Station but the newer ones are now on video. I collected them all. There's all kinds of adventures like the time James runs afoul of some bees, Thomas and Bertie learning of tardiness, Thomas and Percy playing ghost, etc.). So many adventures but not enough time to describe them all. Anyway, I recommend you check out an adventure or two of Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends! In memory of Rev. W. Awdry, Thomas' creator.

my favorite childhood show a very good series

Author: mervclan (mervclan@hotmail.com) from Australia
16 March 2011

Thomas the tank engine is one of my favorite shows as kid and still is its number 3 of my favorite shows after doctor who and the simpsons I just a really big fan of Thomas as kid used to get the toys and the hornby models used to make up my own storys about them I do a series about them know and got three bachmann Thomas models which are Thomas James and Edward and I am planing to do my own layout with my train models I used to have the dvds of this series I had classic storys of Thomas of season 1 2 3 4 and 5 I also had season 6 and the movie okay the show is about Thomas a talking train who works very hard and finds out about things my favorite characters are Herny Edward Terrence Duck Percy Duke and almost all of the characters this is a great show for kids see you don't have to grow up soon you can be a boy and a girl you can never be old for this show okay some teenagers like ones who think they are really cool are going to be bored with it but if you have been a fan of this series even as a kid you will love it this show is just great and is very well done I give this show a 10 out of 10 very good.