IMDb > "The Last Days of Pompeii" (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Last Days of Pompeii"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"The Last Days of Pompeii" More at IMDbPro »

the first mini that I enjoy

Author: uruguay-2 from montevideo uruguay
21 May 1999

I´ve first seen in 1985, and was the first time that a movie touch my heart, then I read the book and I think that the traslation to the movie is very difficult, but Peter Hunt give us a masterpiece. The adaptation is amazing, and the cast is excellent specially by the beauty from Argentinian actress Olivia Hussey as Ione and Franco Nero as the the cruel Arbaces the Obscure.

I recommend as one of the best mini-series of all time.

This is the best version of the Last days of Pompeii so far

Author: s-cools from Belgium
19 July 2006

I've read the novel written by Bulwer Lytton, I visited Pompeii about 5 times and have read scores of books on the city and its dramatic destruction. This is the best screen adaptation of the book so far. It sticks quite well to Bulwer's novel and adds quite a few pleasant characters and events. Of course this mini-series is not perfect, even has countless flaws : the Temple of Isis, the houses of Glaucus and Diomedes come directly out of the set-designers' imagination, sending Christians to the lions is a bit too cliché, some aspects of the novel have been changed to make it all more dynamic (the novel is very slow-paced actually). But all in all, the plot is interesting, changes and additions good. Nead Beatty's portrayal of Diomedes is just brilliant!! Lesley-Ann Down is gorgeous as Chloe... The day this mini-series comes out on DVD, I'll buy it right away!

Talent Ignored?

Author: scrib521 from United States
8 March 2006

With a remarkable cast & spiffed up story based on the book, this made-for-TV movie was a joy to watch. All that being said, I must assert that Duncan Regehr totally sold this series - Yes, he was Damn Hot as the gladiator Lydon. Following the splendid job he did playing Erroll Flynn in "My Wicked, Wicked Ways", I was hoping Hollywood would snatch him up & turn out blazing action/adventure flicks with a film noir edge - but nothing happened, or possibly even a remake of "Captain Blood", but still - no. From 1985 on, insipid, look-alike pretty boys got all the leads, it seems. Aside from that, this version of the "Last Days of Pompeii" had a stellar cast with some stunning scenes, sets, & special effects, & um, oh - the gladiatorial fight sequences were every bit of okay, too!

Not just a masterpiece.. A miracle, a wonder!

Author: Roberto Lorenz (robertolorenz@aol.com) from Dresden, Germany
28 September 2002

This is definitely more than an antique soap opera. It's without a doubt the most beautiful interpretation of the novel. May be that the story is geared to the 80's generation, but the pictures it shows are unforgettable!

A magnificent set-decoration and the most authentic art-direction I've ever seen (look at the temple of Isis: even the number of stairs tallies with the original!), tasteful, opulent costumes and finally a few amazing visual-effects, phenomenal for a TV-mini.

Trevor Jones' music is another wonder. As a great fan of soundtracks I always listen more to the scores than to the dialogues, when I watch a film. Mr. Jones is a man of genius; able to give the worst movies ("G.I. Jane", "The mighty"..) grace and poesy through his music.

I never heard a more haunting, majestic music than his score for "The last days of Pompeii" and I get a goose-flesh whenever I hear the main-theme - still after twelve years.

The cast is marvelous, as well. Sir Laurence Olivier, Franco Nero, Olivia Hussey and two outstanding No-names: Lesley-Anne Down and Linda Purl. Both of them are beautiful AND talented, although they rarely were able to show what they are made of.

I traveled to Pompeii a few times, considering the magic of this forgotten masterpiece. What can I say... the most beautiful town of the earth! And this motion picture is its impressive monument. Thanks.

Why are certain movies simply not released to video or DVD?

Author: Orangelady103848 from New Orleans, Louisiana
28 August 2001

I would like to see this movie released to video or DVD; why hasn't it? This is so unfair to those of us who would like to see a film we have not seen in a long time, and would like to see again, or have never seen at all. In the case of this film, I have not seen it again since it first aired on T.V originally 17 years ago. Or at least, somebody should air it on cable or network T.V. so that others may see it. Not even this has been done for this miniseries. Why or why not? I am simply fascinated with Pompeii and ancient Rome! Thank you.

Are you not entertained?!!! (Rumble) Ummm...Let's get outta here!

Author: Jason Daniel Baker from Toronto, Canada
18 July 2012

79 A.D. 52 years into Pax Romana and 46 years after the death of Christ, Decadent Pompeiians make life uncomfortable for Christians when they aren't outright killing them. Wealthy citizens struggle to relate to their slaves whilst social climbing. Slaves, as depicted here generally appear more concerned with self-esteem issues than how back-breaking their labour is and the volcano behind them is set to blow any minute.

A decadent coast city with flaky rich people, wide-scale prostitution, and a dangerous cult all co-existing while the ground shakes? It is like modern Los Angeles only without the hard drugs or racial tensions.

The easiest criticism to make about this mini-series is that it tries to tell too many stories at once and tells none of them properly with an ending alluded to not merely by history but the title. A grab bag of subplots on offer have a few intriguing elements amidst the mostly boring ones but added together they make for an incoherent muddled mess interlocking too neatly at the end.

There are a lot of examples of clunky historical epic expositional dialogue beyond the narrator at the beginning which turns into heavy-handed metaphysical discussion the viewer might not be ready for.

Whatever potential appeal this mini-series might have had appears to have heavily been placed upon a location shoot and legacy casting of actors who had triumphed in roles set in the ancient world.

Olivia Hussey and Ernest Borgnine had both been in Jesus of Nazareth (1977) along with Lord Laurence Olivier who had of course also appeared in Spartacus (1960). Anthony Quayle had been in Masada (1981) and The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964). Brian Blessed and David Robb had been in I,Claudius (1976). Brian Coburn was in Julius Caesar (1979) and The Day Christ Died (1980). Howard Goorney was in Antony & Cleopatra (1981) and Peter & Paul (1981). Stephen Grief was in The Cleopatras (1983). Nicholas Clay played the title role in The Search For Alexander the Great (1981). Howard Lang had been in Ben-Hur (1959). Marilu Tolo is credited as having been in several gladiator movies in the 1960s.

As for the much celebrated homoerotic undertones, I cannot really say I know what those might be but my guess would be they has to do with Lydon - the gladiator played by Canadian actor Duncan Regehr. Different people look for different things I reckon and because of it they might see things which are not there.

good miniseries

Author: dbdumonteil
28 October 2006

Much better than the version with Steve Reeves in the late fifties.A made for TV miniseries was ideal because of the complexities and the length of Sir Bulwer-Lytton's mammoth novel.And the script writers have even added characters not included in the book:for instance Lesley-Ann Down's Chloe and her love Petrus were invented from start to finish.They also sweetened the end of the story:Nydia,the young blind girl,does not get drowned (she committed suicide cause Glaucus was in love with Ione).

That was one of the best miniseries of the eighties ,when the sword and sandal style was trendy again:"Anno Domini"( "A.D") was made at about the same time and is good as well.

Duncan Regehr was Hot

Author: Belladonna000 from United States
5 October 2005

All of the things people posted about how silly the movie was may have been true, but it's all balanced out by how Duncan Regehr looked in his Gladiator outfit. Those eyes, those cheekbones, that body....hot damn! Now this is what we need more of in today's TV. Who cares about the script, other actors...just find guys as hot as this one was, and the ratings will soar. At least, I will be watching every day, that's for sure. But even today's hot actors just don't seem to be as hot as Duncan was....sigh! Orlando Bloom may be gorgeous, but he just can't hold a candle to the scorching good looks that seemed to pour out of the TV whenever Duncan had a scene. I can't figure out why more producers didn't get a clue and use this guy in movies here. I STILL think he ought to make a comeback. He should pull an Anthony Hopkins on us and come back as one of those devastatingly handsome older men.

Duncan Regehr as Lydon.

Author: heather_hutcheon from Ireland
31 May 2006

I would just like to say, that I agree with many fans, that Duncan made the series what it was, with his great performance as the Gladiator Lydon. It was a very haunting tale of love, violence and destruction, in ancient Pompeii. I also thought that Nicholas Clay did a great job as Glaucus in the series. I had just started college, at the time this series was shown on television in the UK, during Christmas 1984. Not long after this series was shown, I watched My Wicked, Wicked Ways, in 1985 with Duncan portraying Errol Flynn. I thought that he did a good job in this film, even though it was a poor production, and quite hammy!! But anything that Duncan Regehr is in, is worth watching, just to see him...

Gladiator, eat your heart out!

Author: olasimbi from Maryland, USA
26 April 2003

I love this film! I have been looking for it for the past 5 years. I grew up watching this film over and over. In fact, for a brief history:

my parents recorded this film off the T.V station it played on (I can't remember which, though I've looked for it at the three major ones) and when we moved to Nigeria, I watched it for the first time. This was years after they had recorded it of course. I watched it often, since it's long and it took three tapes for the entire film, it was my favorite chore (self-imposed of course) to watch it and make sure the tape was not ruined. You can imagine how many times I took it upon myself to ensure this.

Basically, the last time I watched it was in 1998! And when I was coming back here that year, I did not have enough space in my suitcase to bring all the books and films I wanted to. So sadly, it got left behind.

I am a film student today, and I want to see if the film still holds up to the ideals it did when I was 17. It is definitely a must watch! If you like epic movies like "The Ten Commandments" and "Ben Hur" you will love this film. The history of the people, the effects of the explosion (which I must confess were a bit repetitious and made me think of foam buildings sometimes), the characters, the world the characters inhabited...WOW! I could go on...Films like this one (well, this film really) made me yearn to learn the Roman culture so much that I actually made it a goal (which I have met, and hopefully will again) to visit Rome and see the Colosseum. Gladiator, eat your heart out! This film showed the culture of the people and their lifestyles, not just blood and gore.Watch it if you can. I wish it were released in theaters--if they ran films that long.