IMDb > "Hunter" (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Hunter"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Hunter" More at IMDbPro »

It certainly works for me...

Author: Robert_W (ekhrikhor@hotmail.com) from Fayetteville, Arkansas
28 May 2000

'Hunter' was such a great show - even despite having several cast changes throughout the course of it's 7 year run, the chemistry between characters was inspiring - most definitely the relationship between Hunter and McCall, and the captain between the two themselves (Charles Hallahan was the best captain, in my opinion, of the 3 captains that starred throughout the course of the show)....

Direction, writing, acting, and the associated music (have I left anything out?) were the main components that undoubtedly led to the success of the show...

If you get a chance to watch 'Hunter,' watch it!

my favorite cop show from the 80s

Author: MichaelM24 from California
12 April 2002

My favorite cop show of the 80s was HUNTER. Fred Dryer was awesome as Rick Hunter, a shoot-first-and-ask-questions-later Dirty Harry-type, which is actually what the show started out as, but the character was toned down a little afterwards. Stephanie Kramer, as D.D. McCall, was the best of his three female partners, as was Charles Hallahan as the third of three different captains. It was like a small-screen action movie, with plenty of car chases and gun fights. Dryer and Kramer had great chemistry, which especially came across in the episodes featuring personal stories for the two, such as the first season two-parter in which Hunter defies orders and goes to Mexico to look for a guy who had attacked McCall and hid behind his diplomatic immunity. It was an episode that allowed Hunter to display the depth of his friendship to McCall and showed just how much the characters cared for one another. I don't remember too much about the later years (in which Hunter went through two new partners), but I recall a lot of the earlier ones, with many standout episodes. I would definitely love to have this great series on DVD.

Your prototype cop (Fred Dryer AKA Detective Sergeant Rick Hunter) and the attractive (Stepfanie Kramer AKA Detective Sergeant Dee Dee McCall) make for one of the best cop shows in TV history and that's good

Author: Brian-272 from Oakwood, Virginia USA
28 October 2000

This past week I viewed an episode of the hit drama cop series "Hunter" which now can be seen on TBS during the weekdays. In fact over the last few months I have viewed a couple episodes of "Hunter" and the viewings just reminded me just what a great show it was! I remember as a youngster on Saturday night "Hunter" occupied the NBC schedule and during that time period of the mid 1980's it's popularity was unmatched and I can see why. With every episode I watched from my days as a child and even now on TBS you can notice not only are the scripts well crafted but the characters are really what made this show. Especially notice the chemistry between Fred Dryer and Stepfanie Kramer they are able to play partners to perfection. Dryer a former professional football player a defensive end to be exact is tailor made for the part of Detective Sergeant Rick Hunter his own physical appearance combined with the attitude of a kick ass style cop make him a perfect fit and that made the show more interesting to watch. Stepfanie Kramer handles her job as Sergeant Dee Dee McCall just wonderful. Hey what happened to Stepfanie Kramer? What kind of logic are the TV networks and executives using? I tell you Stepfanie is a real cutesie. She definitely needs to be back once again in front of a TV camera her beauty must be noticed. "Hunter" ranks as one of the best cop shows of all-time due to the reasons I mentioned. Finally do yourself a favor and watch the reruns on TBS if you have the time believe me you will be pleased.

Best TV detective series ever

Author: dnwalker from United States
8 December 1999

The earliest episodes with John Amos as the captain were silly. His continuing bad attitude toward them in the face of their success was unrealistic. Beyond that, however, the entire series was great. It suffered some after Stepfanie Kramer left, but it was still good.

works for me!

Author: lfowden84 from Australia
5 October 2006

Enjoyed the series when shown on TV first time around.I have purchased season one to three (as available) and I am wondering when further seasons will be released.I enjoyed Fred Dryer's laid back acting(I know he was replacing Clint Eastwwod persons on TV) but the cast was so right for the show,except maybe the "Captain', until the arrival of the actor who finally settled in the role.I seem to have forgotten the name of whoever played the captain. But I enjoyed James Whitmore Jr and his by the book policing, Didi Mccall (Stephanie Kramer)stunningly beautiful yet so handy with her gun,although I must admit she looked too frail to be a real cop.All in all a good series to add to one's library.Cannot wait for future season releases to buy. Millie

Excellent TV Show

Author: Marc Yu from Crestview, FL
23 April 2005

This was a great show when it first aired in the 80's and it still is a great show in re-runs and on DVD. It says something about a series when it is still being aired 20 years after its original date. The production value for this show with all its action and stunt sequences was incredible. Of course, the chemistry between Fred Dryer and Stephanie Kramer was what really made this show. You were always thinking, "Are they ever going to date?" LOL - good memories. It's too bad that Stephanie Kramer had to quit the show because of health issues (kept spraining/breaking her ankle because of all the stunt work involved - surprising, considering she was a former female wrestler). Unlike the A-Team in that it had lots of hard stories, murder, blood, and violence. But very exciting to watch!

hunter tv series

Author: pksanders50
21 April 2001

i didnt get to see the movie when it was shown in sept of 1984,and i wish i could have.i did get to watch the tv series of hunter when it was on, and i still get to watch it on tbs in reruns.i really enjoy watching it.fred dryer,stepfanie kramer and the rest of the cast were great.they did a tremendous job of acting.i'm glad we had such a great show to watch.

All time best cop show made!

Author: Kendra S. (brasscupcake57@yahoo.com) from Byron
3 March 1999

This was the all time best cop show made. Fred Dryer and Stepfanie Kramer were matched perfectly and Charles was great as the captain. If you have never seen it you missed out. The story lines were great and the show was kept realistic.

Hunter's Historical Significance

Author: RyuO from Washington DC USA
11 February 2005

Hunter was a conventional detective show in most respects, but had an innovation that advanced the genre to new levels: the laws of physics were changed so that when cars crashed, they spiraled upwards at a 45 degree angle. You could count on this happening at least once per show, and always at the same point in the soundtrack.

The only detective series to better Hunter in repeatable phenomena was Mannix, a forgotten show from the 60s. Not only would a car drive off the same cliff at least once per show, but Mannix would be whacked on the brain stem at the exact same point in the show every week, and display no ill effects. Or, come to think of it, maybe that was why the dialog was so bad...

Season one works for me, Season 2 not as much

Author: movieman_kev from United States
3 September 2005

Hunter was like the small-screen version of Dirty Harry, but a tad more on the gentle side. Fred Dryer's performance and Stefanie Kramers as Hunter's partner Detective Dee Dee McCall made this one of the most memorable cop show of the glorious decade that was the 1980's. In the first Season Hunter and McCall meet for the first time to take on a slasher of beautiful women, McCall's ex-partner turned mob hit-man, a case where the main suspect is the police commissioner, crooked sheriffs, a mafia hit, missing pigeons (??!!?), Hunter being false imprisoned, an overzealous bounty hunter, more mafioso, a cop killer, an overzealous parole officer, an overzealous surveillance expert, Hollywood, drug related death, and Hunter's ex among others. Featuring such notable guest stars as Brian Dennehy, Bo Svenson, Wings Hauser, Tracey Walter, Frances McDormand, Ed O'Neill, Christopher McDonald, Dennis Farina, Dennis Franz, and Monique Gabrielle. The first season had great shows for the most part (the Pigeon episode wasn't that good in the least) and the chemistry between Hunter and McCall is great. It's kinda cool that Hunter's badge number is the same as Dryer's uniform number when he played for the Rams by the way.

My Season 1 grade: B+

Best episodes of this season: the 2-part Pilot, Pen Pals, The Garbage Man, the Snow Queen 2-parter, and Guilty

Featuring such notable guest stars as James Hong, Robert Englund, Isaac Hayes, Robert Davi, the second season of Hunter feels different, the locations feel flashier, Hunter himself feels less of a bad ass, I and it just wasn't as good as the first season. This isn't to say there weren't any good episodes to be found as "Night of The Dragons" was the show in top form. "The Return of Typhoon Thompson", the 2-part "the Beautiful & the Dead", and "Death Machine" were good too.

My Season 2 Grade: C+

Season 1 DVD extras: Interesting interviews with Stephan Cannell (17 and a half minutes) and Stefanie Kramer (15 minutes)

Season 2 DVD Extras: Interviews with series creator Stephen J. Cannell and composer Mike Post (84 min); & Hunter scenes from "Six Million Dollar Misunderstanding" in Spanish and French

Season 2 DVD-Rom content: "Six Million Dollar Misunderstanding" screenplay in .PDF format Gripes: As is common, a lot of music has been changed for copyright issues, some of the episodes were cut for the same reason (most notably Snow Queen)