IMDb > "Highway to Heaven" (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Highway to Heaven"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Highway to Heaven" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

The Greatest TV series ever made

Author: peace63 from Valencia, Spain
16 March 2006

Highway To Heaven was a great series if you look at every episode as an attempt to touch the hearts and souls of people. Overall, it was a great series because it not only entertained people but also taught very beautiful and valuable lessons. I watch it with my children every chance that I get.

Michael Landon was a smart film-maker who was a part of three great television shows. What makes him a genius in my opinion was that he turned his success into projects that appealed to his heart and his soul. He could have done many other projects, but he wanted to leave a legacy of love for people, and love of God.

If you watch the show, Landon's character (Jonathan) never forces people to do anything. When I watched this show as a kid, I found it a bit frustrating that Landon didn't just fire a bolt of lightning at the bad guys. Now as an adult, I see so much more wisdom in how he wrote Jonathan. After all, we cannot change other people. We can only point them in the right direction (when we can); and hope that we (and others) are wise enough to follow and learn the right lessons when we are given the opportunity.

Highway to Heaven is a great show that has aged very well. The problems that people had in the 1980s are still around today, and probably will be for a long time. So if you ever want to see a TV series where good people try to help others in a positive and non-judgmental way (and sometimes they fail); check out Highway to Heaven. Thanks Michael Landon for your positive role in my life.

Michael Landon and Morality

Author: Norbert Evans (norbe41@yahoo.com) from Nine Mile Falls, WA (Suncrest)
7 August 2004

This show may have been to mushy for some. I was already a fan of Landon's back to the Bonanza days. "Highway To Heaven" really allowed Landon a broad base a touch on every subject. The stories dealt with mentally and physical disabilities to obesity, lying, cheating, greed, gambling, poverty, literacy to just about every subject within the human spectrum and beyond. This show gave Michael Landon a real pair of wings to express his undying love to the human race. I managed to record 75 episodes from TV. These are truly heartwarming stories so if you think they're to mushy you may just need to watch the show more then the rest of us. This show was TRULY INSPIRATIONAL and ALL HEART.

Never Sanctimonious

Author: paulamor from New York, NY
17 January 2005

One might expect that any show about an angel of god who walks the Earth trying to help people would be heavy-handed and depressing. Highway to Heaven is neither. It's an uplifting show that showcases all the best aspects of religion and niceness. Unlike "Touched by an Angel" and the televangelist shows, HtH deals with whether a person is good, not whether they subscribe to the right religion. There is room in the definition of "good" to include businessmen, politicians, and former criminals. I'm a hardcore atheist and I still love this show.

In addition, the element of God's power is never used as a club. Jonathan has "the stuff," but never uses it until words and persuasion have failed. It almost makes one feel that with a little effort, they might do some good themselves in the world. Throw in the grainy mid-80s picture and you've got a wonderful bit of escapism to a world where just a little good will can move mountains.

Lovely Show

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
22 September 2002

Late actors Michael Landon and Victor French did a lovely job as Jonathan Smith and Mark Gordon on this show.

Jonathan was an angel and each week he joined up with ex-policeman Mark Gordon. There were a multitude of stories; Jonathan and Mark would always help some poor soul out without resorting to the usual TV method of violence. Throughout the show, they helped many different types of people from alcoholics to those expressing self-doubt. It was very sentimental at times but watching it gave one a sense of inner peace. I am actually an agnostic as far as religion goes but even if one doesn't believe in God, a lot can be learned from a show like this on how to treat people and how to do things the right way.

All in all, a very sentimental show. My girlfriend did cry at some episodes so perhaps a few tissues would be advised if watching this show.

Way The World Should Be

Author: Jason from Warrnambool
18 December 2003

Highway to Heaven is probably the greatest television show I have ever watched. Michael Landon showed us the viewers the way older people, people with disabilities, and others can be treated so badly in society. As Jonathan Smith Michael tried to instil better values in people, as well as showing us how to treat people with love and respect. Plus there was always plenty of action when Jonathan would be forced to defend people from thugs. One of my favourite episodes has to be the one where a man has his food taken from him by thugs, Jonathan says to the thugs c'mon give the kid back his food you've had your fun, when they refused Jonathan threw the thugs all over the place. The show also showed Jonathan and Mark on wonderful journey's from town to town each week, which was great. Michael Landon tried to show people how to love and laugh, just watching an episode makes you want to get out there and help someone out. I thank Michael Landon for inspiring me to be a better person. I will never forget what Michael Landon has contributed to my life, and I thank him so much. Highway to Heaven should be on television again, rather than the non-family oriented Reality Television Shows of today. Michael's television shows took me back to my childhood memories of my loving grandmother Mavis Brewis. I am certain that Michael Landon and my grandmother are now real angels of god.

I absolutely loved this show!

Author: jasonbowers-1 from Midwest, United States
18 May 2003

This show offered an inspirational message, and an example of morality to children, and grown-ups alike, who maybe didn't have any other good influence in their life. I believe that this show was truly inspired by God, and that in it's five years on the air, that it helped alot of people to examine themselves, and try to live better lives. Wow! What an amazing and powerful show!

Another Hit For Michael Landon...

Author: Dave Rowland from Markham, Ontario
24 April 1999

"Highway To Heaven" was a very well done show. I really like most of the episodes. They were really well written & directed. Michael Landon & Victor French worked so well together as Mark Gordon & Johnathan Smith. Landon wrote some really hard hitting stories about, Love, Hate, Forgiveness & Racial Issues. I don't agree with all of the points that Michael was trying to raise like, referring to the Lord as "The Boss" or "The Man Upstairs". Overall the show was a touching one. And now as I still watch the reruns of it, I get a weird feeling in knowing that Michael Landon & Victor French are now no longer here anymore. It's a big loss. They were both really great actors. I miss them both...

Highway to Heaven

Author: pattim73 from United States
18 October 2006

I grew up watching this TV show and it was usually very touching and sometimes very sad. There is one episode in season 2 that was very good called "Friends". It's about an overweight girl, Jenny, who is desperate to make friends at school. When she begins to tutor the school jock, Jack, another girl in school gets jealous and acts like she is her friend. Then she humiliates Jenny in front of Jack. Jonathan helps her build her self-esteem and brings Jack's down a bit.

I also enjoyed these two guys on Little House on the Prairie which was an excellent family show (I own all seasons on DVD!) It's sad that some people think these two were gay. I guess some narrow-minded people can't understand that two guys can be very good friends. Especially with all of the trash on TV now, if a show is very wholesome some people don't like it and have to try to tear it down.

Anyone with children who wants to let them watch a show without profanity and filth should let them watch this great show. We all love and miss you Michael and Victor!

Another lovely show from Michael Landon.

Author: michaelrustage from United Kingdom
8 October 2005

This series was great. It's a little unrealistic today as the stories in the shows were about friendship, love, trust, care and sympathy, all of which seem to have disappeared among most people today. In a world today where everyone is rude, greedy, unhelpful, unfriendly, impatient and aggressive, it's nice to watch this show and see how things really should be. Michael Landon did a great job in playing an Angel who has been sent down from God to help people. These are usually people who are ill or dying. Michael Landon always manages to help them make the most of what they have and always teaches us very good morals, something which kids aren't taught today. Michael Landon was an Angel in real life until he sadly passed away. It's a shame there aren't any around today.

Excellent series

Author: (rokk1965@visto.com) from Regina, SK
23 November 2000

I watched every single episode of Highway to Heaven that was aired from 1984 to 1989, and enjoyed every single episode. I particularly liked the 2-part episode "Thoroughbreds", which combined romance with the tragedy of cancer. Many of the other episodes which dealt with cancer were also excellent.

Unfortunately, "Highway" has been off the air since 1989 and is not available on video. My memories of the episodes are quite rusty, and I haven't managed to find anyone who taped the series. Until somebody obtains the rights to distribute or air the series, I'll have to settle for my vague nostalgic memories.

Anyway, it's nice to see there are still some fans around.

Norman