IMDb > "E/R" (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"E/R" More at IMDbPro »

"I've Got A Real Emergency Here...

Author: sisterdebmac from Marietta, GA, USA
22 February 2005

and I really don't know what to do. There's so much tension in the atmosphere. I'm in a panic that I might not get through. Hey, nurse is that a warning sign or can you make me feel fine? Take me up to the emergency room and give me something to relieve the pain..." For the record, that's how the Lou Rawls song went.

Is it scary that I know that? I got my first VCR in 1983. I actually have almost all of the episodes of this show on tape. Ladies and gentlemen, this E/R had one of the very best ensemble comedy casts of all time.

Elliot Gould played Dr. Howard Sheinfeld, a lazy, womanizing much-married father of two teens who lost everything in his most recent divorce and is forced to work overnights in an ER to make ends meet. Mary McDonnell played Dr. Eve Sheridan, the uptight, fussy but sexy chief of the ER staff. George Clooney played "My Place" Ace in a role that pre-dated even his recurring shot on "The Facts Of Life", egad! Corrine Bohrer totally won my over as the adorable Cory, she of the major crush on Sheinfeld. The inimitable Conchata Ferrell was Nurse Thor, wife of Bud and a big, loud softy. She was amazing. Lynne Moody was Nurse Julie, the lovelorn. Shuko Akune was the hilarious Maria "Stay back of the white line!". And Bruce Young was her sweetheart, cop Fred. Oddly enough, Sheinfeld had his George Costanza for a bit when Jason Alexander showed up as the ludicrous hospital administrator, Stickley. Jonathan Silverman played Sheinfeld's teen son. The chemistry with this cast was remarkable. And there's another coincidence with the current ER series. This show was set at the Clark Street ER in Chicago.

I watched the show because of the actress who played Sheinfeld's daughter, Pamela Segall. Pammy gets no respect. Her name wasn't even in the IMDb listing for the show. I added it tonight. Maybe you're thinking you've seen that name somewhere before. If you've ever watched the credits for "King Of The Hill" in the last 8 years you have. She's the voice of Bobby Hill. She's also a delight in front of the camera --- an adorable, terrific comedienne and a heartbreaker in dramas. I highly recommend the Christian Slater/Mary Stuart Masterson romance for a look at Pammy as the quirky, cool best friend.

Just another bit of trivia, Pamela Segall was a semi-regular "The Facts Of Life", too. The season before Clooney came aboard.

I don't know how in the world anyone will ever get a shot at seeing this E/R. It's too bad. It didn't deserve such a quick, cruel death.

I loved that show.

Author: sylvia103-1 from United States
16 May 2005

This was such a funny show.

George Clooney played the part of a young EMT.

Conchata Ferrell played the part of a funny nurse/busybody.

And Elliott Gould played a wonderful, caring doctor.

This was so much fun to watch--- especially since I was working as a candy-striper when it was on.

The receptionist "Maria" was always screaming, "Stay-back-of-the-white-line!"

The funniest episode that I remember was when a young lady (about 15) and her family came to the ER. The young lady was in denial about being pregnant ---even after giving birth!: "That's not my baby, Mama."

I wish I thought to videotape it while it was still on TV! I miss it so much!

Sylvia Sherritze

Adaptation of a Chicago play

Author: davidemartin (davidemartin@cs.com) from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
19 July 2007

The long-lost, long-forgotten E/R was based on a well known Chicago play produced by the Organic Theater Company. It was a delightfully cynical comedy as a play. As a TV series, it was probably a bit out of place. But at least it got a chance to air. And it gave a lot of people their first major TV screen time, such as the winsome Corinee Bohrer. The show came along at a time when TV execs were having a rare resurgence of creativity and okay'ing unusual shows like this one, Hot L Baltimore, and United States. Too bad such times (and such shows) don't last.

George Clooney in E/R and ER? What a hoot!

The other E/R

Author: smj775 from East Texas
20 January 2000

I was pretty young when I saw this show. I think it was one of the first shows on the Lifetime channel. I loved Elliot Gould and Mary McDonnell. It was the first time that I had seen George Clooney, if this was before he was on The Facts Of Life. This show was mostly a comedy, w/some dramatic parts, as ER is mostly drama w/ some comedic parts. It's too bad this show isn't shown in reruns anymore. I'd almost forgotten how funny it was.

Lot Going for It!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
13 May 2007

Okay, this was the E/R show long before the drama on another network. It was a comedy and drama and a very good comedy too. The cast was first rate with Elliott Gould as the head doctor and Mary McDonnell playing the new doctor. If the show lasted longer, they would have probably gotten together and got married. George Clooney played the nephew to Conchata Farrell who is better known to audiences as the maid, Bertha, on Two and Half Men. She played a happily married childless nurse who doted on her nephew played by Clooney. The show had a mixed cast of characters and never really took off as it should have done. maybe there were just too many sitcoms on the air that even those above average got canceled after one season. It played on cable for a while only to be forgotten.

I miss those characters

Author: Nozz from Israel
24 September 1999

I don't really remember the plots of the episodes, but I remember the continuing characters and I miss them. There was the beautiful little Filipina clerk who would suddenly snap at anyone who approached closer than the warning line that was painted on the floor, and I miss the adorable pediatric nurse who had a crush on the handsome doctor, and I miss the insouciantly fat lady, who was all about breaking the stereotype years before the fat lady lawyer did it on "The Practice," and I miss the Lou Rawls theme song. It was almost a parody of the way any theme song seems to be required to turn the title into a love metaphor: "I've got a real emergency here," he sang, but of course in the song the emergency is how smitten he is.

It was back in the Reagan years

Author: jjedif from United States
7 August 2011

I remember very few shows from the 1980s. This is one of the few shows that I remember. George Clooney's talents weren't that evident (in fact, I'm still not much of a George Clooney fan. But if they ever make a re-make, he could be Dr. Howard Sheinfeld now that he's been to TV med school). But it was immediately evident that Jason Alexander and Conchata Ferrell were really funny, so I was glad when both resurfaced later on "Seinfeld" and "Two and a Half Men", respectively. Was "E/R" the funniest show ever? No, it was really kind of an earlier version of "Scrubs" (in fact, I saw the "Scrubs" janitor on "Seinfeld" just last night!). Like "Scrubs", "E/R" was a usually silly comedy that occasionally morphed into into full-blown drama. And back in the grim days of Reagan, silly comedy was what the country needed.

Great Show

Author: gatorrob from United States
10 April 2011

My wife and I both loved this show for the short time it was on. I wish there was a way to go back and see it again. Great story line and characters. Really good actors when you realize who they are now. I agree with others and don't understand why it wasn't given more of a chance. Maybe the actors wanted to end the series. Elliot Gould certainly was a big enough star to pull that off. I loved the actress who played Cory (Corinne Bohrer)and her puppy-love for Dr Sheinfeld. I guess that while the women were watching for George Clooney, I was watching for Cory and Julie. Conchata Ferell was as good in this show as she is on Two and a Half Men. I really wish it had lasted longer.

LOVE the old TV show E/R

Author: shsh38 from United States
5 March 2006

The series E/R was marvelous and I would be so pleased if it made it into syndication so we could enjoy it over and over.

Seinfeld and M*A*S*H were marvelous too, but by now I can recite the dialog along with the actors.

Bring back E/R!!! Well, I tried to submit this comment and was told that it didn't have enough words.

That's the first time in my life I've ever been told that. So I'm adding words to this post, but I really said it all when I wrote "Bring back E/R!!!"

And here's another line of text just so this message conforms to the guidelines. Sheesh!

I thought this show was great and watched it every time it was on!

Author: Donna Pool (ddpool@vvm.com) from Belton, TX
19 January 1999

Elliot Gould's comic timing was impeccable and the chemistry he shared with Mary McDonnell on screen was super. The character played by Conchata Farrell was refreshingly different. The ethnic diversity of the cast was an interesting element, too. As the show went on the development of the characters held my interest and I really wanted to know what happened to them. I was sorry to see this one go. If anybody knows when or where it will be shown in syndication, let me know. I'll have my VCR fired up and waiting.