IMDb > "Cover Up" (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Cover Up" More at IMDbPro »

We need a hero...

Author: colorado_city
2 February 2003

Almost twenty years ago there was a show that featured an American modelling agency doing a spot, hence involved Bonny Tyler singing the theme song - Holding out for a hero - however, the modelling agency was a front for a CIA organisation. It was called Cover-Up, a tremendously enjoyable CBS action escapade series about a couple of "striking adventurers" posing as a model plus a photographer on location of their assigned missions, and the "main hero" was Jon-Erik Hexum (character's name Mac Harper) who unfortunately died in 1984. The show nevertheless continued with somewhat different Anthony Hamilton taking his place, but lasted about a year. Regardless of its cancellation, Cover-Up was one of the greatest and most stylish espionage shows from the early 1980's, and surely knocked off similar tv projects.

Cover Up series was great

Author: javier-alcala from United States
3 May 2006

Original, interesting, and international. Nice looking guy(s) and beautiful women. I really liked this series because it was recorded in around the world locations. The series had a mix of drama, sexy scenes and fast and fighting plots. A sad moment was the end of Hamilton's first episode, when Jennifer is informed that Jon will not work with her any longer. I enjoyed the series back in 1984/85 and I still enjoy it today. The series played the at the time hits and even the theme song, "I need a Hero," was used in a 2004 movie (Shreck 2). I really like the show with Jon-Erik Hexum and, later, Hamilton. The lead lady Jennifer O'Neal was (is) a really beautiful and attractive person. I will highly recommend this series for a relax and entertaining evening.

I Loved Every Moment of This Show!

Author: judiwegley from United States
22 June 2007

I seldom give a 10 on a review, but this series was absolutely great, in my humble opinion. The music is first-rate as well. Watching the episode where Dani is told Mac is not coming back was so poignant, there is no doubt that a bond existed between all the players. Jon-Erik's tragic demise truly hit them hard. They wrote his death into the script with grace and respect, almost reverence. I've been lucky enough to get an entire set of the show on DVD, so I am truly blessed. Jennifer O'Neill is stunningly beautiful and it is a shame we have not seen more of her in recent years. I am a fan of Richard Anderson as well, and he played his role convincingly with dignity and gentleness.

He stole his big chance from himself

Author: Tarzan1900 from United States
28 August 2005

When I was a kid, I was a fan of Jon-Erik Hexum, mainly because of his show "Voyager", so I became a fan of his new show "Cover-Up", it was not Shakespeare and it could have been better but it was fun to watch, a kind of James Bond fantasy show. It was exiting, and the show did his job: entertain boys and get girls (and the mothers of some kids) in love with Jon-Erik Hexum. I was shocked to hear that the "Jon" was "playing" with a "blank semi loaded" gun and shot himself. What was he thinking!? well not much obviously!! This 26 years old man, considered on of the most photogenic men in Hollywood, still almost 20 years later, it is hard to find an actor (good actor) with his good look and great body, the man was a Greek sculpture. He had every thing to become a big screen superstar. He made just one mistake, to treat guns like toys, one thing a I leaned since very young "GUN ARE ALWAYS LOADED, EVEN IF THEY ARE EMPTY", an empty gun should be treated as the most dangerous weapon; as a fact many "accident" (the correct word is criminal negligence)are caused by guns that were supposed to be empty. I feel sorry for Jon and his family, but it would have been worst if he had aimed the gun to an innocent bystander. He lost his live, present and future. He stole happiness from himself.

My List Of The Greatest Canceled Shows Ever !!

Author: ahmed elshikh (ahmed_abd_elreheem@yahoo.com) from Egypt
12 July 2007

Cover Up was one of the best. I've enjoyed it so much. But I discovered later that nobody watched it except me !!

It was a good espionage plot with a lot of erotic elements. You can get it easily from a small plot summary such as (a young photographer and her models in the spying business) or (a fashion house as a front for special intelligence). So it provides good sexy girls with good action too. And no wonder, it was the Charlie's Angels-era. It came out 8 years after of the beginning of Charlie's Angels and OH BOY the 1980s were the golden years for the female beauty on TV where every thing was at its top : the fashion, the hairdos, the nice bodies…WAW it was my golden years too !

Here you'll have it all. And I promise you every thing is sexy and real real hot. I think this show, and its likes of the same era, put the ideal definition for the most exquisite female seduction you'd ever have from a TV-series, starting from all the pretty girls in here (Jennifer O'Neill is out of them of course) to the bright colorful cinematography. There are moments of pure sexiness done with class. Some of them went directly to the classic section of my memories. For example; who can forget Catherine Oxenberg taking a bubble bath at the pilot episode? It seems now so peaceful and tame, but back then, it was daring.

Yes, the sudden death of Jon-Erik Hexum was disappointing, being an early reason to end the show. But for me Antony Hamilton was that good as well. Unfortunately THEY finally canceled it after only 20 episodes, and it's my eternal importunate question : why on earth do they cancel it ?! My fuss gets larger and larger when you find another shows (real very stupid ones) which lasted that long like La Femme Nikita (5 Seasons), or Nash Bridges (6 Seasons)..etc, while there were a lot of nice shows that got canceled for no convincing reason. Therefore I'm giving you my list of them as honoring and as an epitaph ! :

1 - Secret Agent Man (2000) 12 Episodes

2 - Cover Up (1984) 20 Episodes

3 - Vengeance Unlimited (1998) 16 Episodes

4 - Over My Dead Body (1990) 12 Episodes

5 - The Lone Gunmen (2001) 13 Episodes

6 - The Hat Squad (1992) 12 Episodes

7 - A Man Called Hawk (1989) 13 Episodes

A due tribute to all of them all and their die hard fans. Oh how I miss the rare good time which I've had and could have with anyone of the previous late shows. If only they lasted a bit more.

Why Jon Erik Why?!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
25 March 2013

Jon Erik Hexum played an ex Green Beret turned CIA agent and model. As he teams up with a photographer played by Jennifer O Neill who help to avenge her husband's death in the pilot.

As both were great along with the great character actor Richard Anderson as the intelligent but compassionate boss like in the Six Million Dollar Man he was with.

Hexum helped make the show a hit but after he fatally shot himself by playing with a gun loaded with blanks. Not going that playing with blanks can be really dangerous if you stop and think of it.

Antony Hamilton portrayed new agent and model Jack Striker. He was good but not as nearly good enough like Hexum. As he himself would die of AIDS himself in 1995.

Hexum could had been a big name star and had the looks, really could act, and had the humor and wit and charm. He could had been bigger than Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise combined but sadly we never or never will get to see that potential! Great show that did not take itself seriously.

Jon-Eric Hexum's death foreshadowed in Voyagers!, episode 1.

Author: donald moore (lambofrevelation@yahoo.com) from United States
22 May 2005

Attempting to help the Wright brothers, Phineas, our intrepid, if clumsy, traveler-in-time deeply contemplates running off a cliff edge with a glider --to test aerodynamic designs. Does he correctly comprehend the aerodynamic forces involved? His fellow traveler Jeffrey is worried, running after him, yelling, "You can't...it's suicide!...Bogg!". But Phineas will not be stopped, and, leaping off the cliff, admonishes young Jeffrey, "I'm a Voyager kid! Sometimes you've got to bite the bullet." Alas, Phineas crashes, --not comprehending the aerodynamic forces involved. Phineas is next seen lying deathly still on the ground, Jeffrey rushing to him crying, "Bogg!". Phineas will regain consciousness, of course, and all will be well, of course. This scene is in episode one, and part of it is used in the opening sequence for every episode of "Voyagers!".

About two years later, on the set of "Cover Up"...

Jon-Eric Hexum, Phineas Bogg of an earlier time, and a highly intelligent man, will foolishly point a prop gun, loaded with blanks, to his head and jokingly pull the trigger. And with this bullet, so unnecessary to bite, Mr. Jon-Eric Hexum proved he still had not learned aerodynamics, this time of exploding gases, so powerful...even poignant.

Don't Hold Your Breathe Bonnie.

Author: Buck Aroo
16 April 2004

I certainly don't have fond memories of this series.

It was pretty cheesey back in 1985 when I first saw it. Jennifer O'Neal was as wooden in it as she was in most of her other roles, Including 'Scanners', but only Michael Ironside was really good in that movie.

This seemed to be a cross between Charlie's Angels and Remmington Steele, but wasn't as watchable as either series. It's also infamous and memorable to some, because one of it's stars Jon Erik Hexum, was playing around with a prop pistol loaded with blanks, put it to his head, and fired. Without knowing that blanks can actually kill because there is still a discharge from the weapon when fired.