IMDb > "The Cosby Show" (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Cosby Show"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Cosby Show" More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 9: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9]

Bill Cosby plays Doctor Heathcliff Huxtable and every week delivers hilarity

Author: SpideyTerry from Ardmore, PA
23 October 1999

Perhaps the funniest man of all time, gives us one of the funniest sitcoms of all time. The Huxtables are a perfect reflection of many families. Their lives, family, and friends are based on his famous routines from his many stand up gigs. A truly fine sitcom that never lost it's quality. In fact, I don't think there was ever a bad episode of this series. Isn't that incredible? It is unfortunate that this series had to meet it's end but all good things must come to an end after all.

Not the greatest

Author: radrobd from California
25 June 2002

To me it seems, "The Cosby Show" is different things to different people, depending on what you want to believe. To some people, this show was more like a new-found religion, that preached family values and other wholesome messages, blah, blah, blah. To me, it was a ridiculously mediocre family sitcom that was WAY overrated. To be fair, the show was a hit at the time, ranking #1 in the ratings for a few years. But, does good ratings necessarily mean quality. I mean "Laverne & Shirley" was the #1 rated show at one point too. My point it, take an objective look at this show now (reruns air on "Nick at Nite") and decide for yourself if this show is funny without believing all the hype. I for one don't find the least bit of humor in this program, despite (or maybe in spite) all the mugging Cosby does for the camera. This show was nothing but an updated 80's version of the Brady Bunch, a rather bland family stuck into corny (and often unrealisitic) situations.

Innocent, but not much on laughs.

Author: yarborough from northridge, ca
7 May 2002

Like many shows that premiered in the mid-1980s, "The Cosby Show" has a real 1950s innocence to it; the world is very clean and everyone is upper middle-class. The only difference here is that the family is African-American, and this, along with the show's non-threatening environment, are clearly the reason why this show was so highly rated. As far as laughs go, this show has nothing. Most of the humor here is built around the stand-up comedy style of the horrendously slow Bill Cosby. But in stand-up, Cosby had some dirtiness in his jokes that he could rely on for laughs. In this show, during the innocent, family-centered 1980s, Cosby has nothing to fall back on. Therefore, a lot of the episodes are filled with gags that run too long with no pay-off. In addition, the child actors for the show truly defined the word "newcomers"--they READ their lines from memory and laugh at them on stage. If you want funny 1980s, you'll have more luck with "Cheers."

Unrealism at it's best!!!

Author: Cyndi38 from New York City
27 October 2003

This show is the most unrealistic look into the lives of an African American family in the 80's. Okay, Cliff is a doctor and Clair is a Lawyer, this is the premise of the show. I can believe that there are many affluent African American families living in New York City. I am from New York City so that holds true enough. But, this show was Bill Cosby's attempt to live a life that he otherwise could not live in real life. A High School drop out who credits himself as William H Cosby Phd. is rediculous. I would hardly call an honorary doctorate a license to credit myself as a Phd. There are too many people including myself who work to hard to obtain that goal and that title is given to those who study for years and make sacrifices in order to get to that point. All of the kids get into Ivy league colleges and the parents pay out of pocket. None of the kids work and Theo who is a screw up all through High School gets into NYU, go figure that one out. Now we decide to say that Theo has dislexia, but why was that not figured out all through his elementary school years? I loved Lisa Bonet, She was the only one who had the balls to be herself and to challenge Cosby in his tyranical attempt to live vicariously through his show.

Some laughs but ?

Author: cwdfwtx from texas
19 April 2002

An ok comedy at best and Why is it called the Cosby show? Just like Bob Newhart with self titled sitcoms ,its very stuck up. Bill Cosby's brand of comedy is self centered ,he thinks hes the center of the show . Well i think the rest of the cast is much funnier than he is . They always would have a scene between claire and cliff involving a fight or something sentimental with music and these silly corny looks between the two and then all is well and the audience laughs,i think overall they did at least 100 of these sappy scenes ,what is so funny about bill cosby and phyllicia rashad hamming it up for the camera over and over again zzzzz snore. The major beef I have with this comedy is the same with Newhart, Why do you self title the show? Sounds like an ego trip to me . Bill Cosby is not as funny as people say, marginal at best ,Mr Cosby stop being so stuck up. Give other people credit.

Corny, Unrealistic, bad parenting.

Author: movieguy-52 from Hollywood, CA
11 March 2002

Nick at Nite is currently running a "Cosby Show" Marathon and gave me an opportunity to really watch the show. First of all, the Huxtables are loaded with money, yet almost all the episodes focus around their kids always being broke. What's up with that ?

Tonite's episode was about Rudy being punished because she couldn't pay her mom (Mrs. Huxtable) back $2.37 cents she borrowed to buy a sweater ! C'mon ! What kind of parenting is that to show your own child at 10 years old the harsh feeling of being punished for not being able to scrounge up $2.37 cents ! Screw the lesson behind that, it's $2.37 cents ! Is it even worth punishing your child who is not old enough to work and gets a $5/wk allowance ? Yesterday's episode was about Theo being broke and his parents trying to teach him a lesson by throwing him out of the house so he too can feel what it's like to be broke. And the previous episode before that was about Sondra & Elvin just getting married and having to move into a crappy apartment because they were broke too! What the heck do Mr. & Mrs. Huxtable do with all their money!

This is a horrible way to treat your kids. And this goes beyond teaching them lessons about how to handle money. How can they learn when their parents are loaded, their kids are broke, and they make them go through the most embarrassing lessons just for a small loan if they even can get one out of them without being bombarded with lectures, punishments or lessons ? I'm not saying become a mooch because your parents are loaded, but when your kids need financial help and you're rich, what are you trying to prove by making them suffer ? That's just bad parenting. Who was beind the script writing here ? It's like every episode was about how their kids need a few dollars to get by and couldn't think of a way to ask their parents for the loan, as if they were frightened of the consequences in paying it back.

Watching the Cosby marathon really made me resent them as parents and if I was one of their kids, I would of broke out of that house long before I would have a chance to loose my mind. I'm surprised they didn't do any follow up episodes with their kids coming back to that old Huxtable house letting out their bottled up aggressions on their tight fisted parents.

And more bad parenting from the Huxtables.....

How bout' the episode where they put Theo on trial in their living room treating him like a common criminal because he was late coming home for Rudy's school recital. Mrs. Huxtable, being a lawyer on the show, layed into him like he wasn't even her son, drilling him with questions because he was 10 minutes late. I'd resent my parents for life if they pulled that on me, just for being a few minutes late ?

I don't normally comment this harshly on just a television show, but seeing episode after episode in this week long marathon made me glad I didn't live in that household and glad it was only a tv show and not real life.

Detestable!!

Author: Blooeyz2001 from Florida
3 June 2005

I absolutely DETEST this show & Bill Cosby. This swill has aged about as well as the horrendous clothing & hairstyles on it. I never understood what was so hilarious about Cosby. There isn't anything funny about a grown man rolling his eyes, jutting out his big behind, making dumb faces & noises, & acting stupid. He is an overrated hack. He is also arrogant with a holier-than-thou attitude which is a major turn-off. This show was sugar coated slop. Lisa Bonet was dead weight, with no personality or presence whatsoever. The premise was unrealistic, & the situations were nonsense. Episodes that were especially sickening were the ones where these dolts would find some farkakteh reason to dance, or burst into song! Cosby was as believable as a doctor as Bea Arthur was as an Italian-American on "The Golden Girls" (but at least she was funny). It amazes me that this garbage stayed on the air so long. It must have been it's time slot.

Sitcom with "used to be funny man" Bill Cosby

Author: tgmw from Blacktown NSW Australia
17 July 2000

This series was extremely racist against white people in that there was very little space made available for white actors. Most of the humour was from Bill Cosby, the rest of the actors and actresses unable to offer skill. The "children" were precocious and the storylines very tacky. Bill Cosby used to be a very entertaining sole performer whose public demise I am sure was a direct result of such series.

One of the most overrated shows ever.

Author: Peter S from United States
15 February 2009

Bland,boring,not very funny.I cannot understand why The Cosby Show did so well in the ratings when it originally aired on television.The only reason could be is by the mid 1980s television "started" it's decline to the point where the shows made now are un-viewable.So possibly due to lack of competition the show did well.Who knows?If this show was introduced during the Golden Age of American television the 1950s-1970s,I think it would probably not have even made it on the air or would have been cancelled within 10 weeks.About the only positive things I can say about this show is they had a few interesting guest stars,and it was filmed in color.I personally know of no-one who watches it any more.So why do stations still put it on the air?I've never seen the show My Mother The Car,but it's got to be much better than Cosby.

I just hate this show

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
25 June 2004

I just hate this show and do not know why? I hate this show like I hate "Full House" or "Sinfield". I just don't see the humor in it. The show is full of everyday boredom. The jokes can be seeing a mile away. The acting except for Bill is, well is the reason I go to the movies for entertainment.

Some people, crap on this show, for being unrealistic. Maybe that is the point. "Married with Children" and "The Simpsons" Has faults and self induced problem. I laugh at the bent humor. Maybe, that is why I like Conan. This show is too perfect. Does anyone else also feel this way? I figure I am the only one that miss the joke. I hate the family sit com it was killed to death after Cosby. Hey Friends and the rest of them is killing the TV industry. Notic none of the actors did anything else after the show. The different world show was even worse than Cosby. It is like how many different Star Trek spin off can they have. Does TV have any new ideas or will the internet take over?

Page 9 of 9: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9]