IMDb > "The Cosby Show" (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Cosby Show"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Cosby Show" More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

One of the best shows from the eighties, but not of all time.

Author: persnickity27 from Washington, DC
19 November 2002

Being a child of the eighties, I grew up on The Cosby Show, and grew up with the Cosby kids (I'm around Tempest Bledsoe's age). Although I enjoyed the show very much, and still watch the reruns, I don't think it's one of the best shows of all time, as many people claim.

As a Black American, I appreciated the Cosby Show for showing another side of "black life". The Huxtables were intelligent, well off financially, and down-to-earth at the same time. That being said, I found that throughout the series, the Huxtables were totally isolated from the reality of the majority of Americans, let alone Black Americans.

For example, the episode in which Claire finds a joint in Theo's textbook. Theo says he didn't put it there, and Cliff and Claire take him at his word. He really didn't do it, but that's not the point. They find a joint on their teenage son, and they just drop the issue. The implication is that because Theo is a "good" kid, from a "good" family, he is somehow immune from the drug culture that permeated the teen scene of the time.

Then there's the episode in which Vanessa and her friends had to go all the way to Baltimore, to get conned, and taken. THEY'RE FROM NEW YORK CITY, FOR PETE'S SAKE!!! Have they no street smarts at all?

I know that Cliff was a doctor, and Claire was a lawyer, but I think the Huxtables were living off Bill Cosby's income, rather than their own. They had a PHAT New York brownstone, two cars, five kids (four going to prestigious universities during the show's run), and yet the only issue they ever had with money is when the kids wanted an extra buck in their allowance! Cliff even offered to pay for Sondra's law school education and his SON-IN-LAW'S medical school education, AT THE SAME TIME!!! We're talking about $100,000 a piece! Give me a break! Cliff also implied that he would pay for Pam (Claire's distant cousin) to go to college. Where was Dr. Huxtable when I needed him?

Over all, throughout it's long run, the Cosby Show was pretty good. The early years were the best, when Rudy was cute, Theo was cool, and Denise was...well...Denise! But after awhile, Rudy wasn't so cute anymore, Theo was Mr. Responsible, and Denise was...well...Denise! Cliff and Claire were consistently funny with each other in their banter and their relationships with the kids, but the magic began to fade as the kids grew up. After a lag, the show did improve with the addition of Olivia (just as adorable as Rudy used to be), Pam and her "urban" friends. Finally we get to see youth that didn't grow up in a vacuum.

Although the show probably lasted too long, it deserves much of the credit for reviving the sitcom genre (and taking NBC to the top). And I loved how the dorbell became a character throughout the last season. Barring the show being out of touch with reality, and Cosby's blatant exercise of political correctness, I'd give the show 6 out of 10 stars.

Bill Cosby At one of his finest

Author: CmHowell99 from San Diego, Ca
6 October 2002

This show is funny it has Bill Cosby playing himself as a doctor with his wife Clair who is a lawyer, and his 5 children. Some of the children eventually move out and the 2 older daughters eventually graduate from College and get married Sondra to Elvin and Denise to Martin. There was also Vanessa who just couldn't stop thinking about boys, Theo who had a brain but sometimes didn't use it, and Rudy who could avoid trouble. I watch the re runs on Nick At Nite when I get a chance. Elvin was a doctor as well. and Martin was a lieutenant in the military. I like this series because it teaches the facts of life.

Good, but "Family Matters" is better

Author: tahjhill2121 from Las Vegas
5 October 2002

This is just my opinion, but "The Cosby Show" is not as good as "Family Matters" Probably because I grew up with "Family Matters" and not "The Cosby show" but hey! That's just my opinion. If you wanna watch a black program thats better than "The Cosby Show" (especially those last couple of years) watch "Family Matters" But that's just my opinion

The Best 80s TV Show!

Author: imperial_wizard from portland, oregon
31 August 2002

Hilarious! I love the Cosby show and I always watch the reruns on Nick. I think this show deserved to be on longer than it was (although I do admit the later episodes were not as funny as the earlier.) Well, hopefully Mr. Cosby creates a new show about an African-American family, because the Cosby show is the best of the comedy shows about families.

GREATEST SHOW OF ALL TIME

Author: Nick (ToyotaSUPRAFREAK@yahoo.com) from Massachusetts
24 August 2002

Bill Cosby is one of the most funniest guys in Comedy. He really made the show funny and not boring.. He always made me laugh. Theo was another great character in the show too. I rate this show a 10! Bill Cosby is great!

What Played......

Author: (Divachickmel) from USA
12 June 2002

This was a great show and funny too but I want to know who played Stanley on the Cosby Show. If you know who Please on your comment say my name and tell me who played him. Thanks And terrific show too!! Please Tell Me as soon as possible and this is personal but I love Alex Gonzalez!

Amazing

Author: dtoretto2002 from Philadephia, Pennslyvannia
31 May 2002

This show is an amazing piece of work. The show is funny,excellant, and one of the greatest show sitcom of all time. Bill Cosby is a hit P. Rashad is a hard working mother. Theo is crazy. Rudy and Olivia are the best little kids in the whole show. Excellent show

I LOVE WATCHING the cosby show

Author: azizsair from Va USA
13 May 2002

The cosby show is one of the best and full time best comedy show I have ever seen. It is very funny. I want to thank Bill Cosby for bringing all his laughing excitement on television. The Cosby show is probably the richest show of all time.

Good old days

Author: J from Iowa
7 May 2002

The Cosby show might not have always been perfect, but even the not so good episodes are much better than a lot of what's on TV today. The series did have some weak spots in it, but it was almost always enjoyable to watch.

Strong start, weak ending…

Author: 14jade
11 March 2002

I actually enjoyed `The Cosby Show' for the first half of the series, but as most people will agree, it should have ended a lot sooner than it actually did. Adding characters is always the kiss of death. Theo and Denise (played by Malcolm-Jamal Warner and Lisa Bonet, respectively) were the funniest of the kids as a whole, but when the show started adding characters to compensate for their adulthood, the writing was on the wall. I know Bill Cosby had said in interviews that he only wanted the show to last five years. Too bad that didn't happen. I think the NBC suits put him under pressure to keep it on (and make the content more `family-oriented') since it was a ratings war-horse at the time. So while the first five seasons were really good, seasons six through eight left much to be desired. Nevertheless, I'd much rather look at `The Cosby Show' on three networks than `Family Matters' on one.

Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]