IMDb > "The Cosby Show" (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Cosby Show"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Cosby Show" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Author: DominqueZarinha ( from Trinidad
14 January 2003

I have been watching this show for over 4 years and it has the best set of laughs I have ever gotten. I love it. Bill Cosby represented exactly what my dad was like. The only thing that was wrong with the show was that everything was too "perfect". They were too perfect with the storyline but other than that, it had a lot of funny parts. I like the characters especially the boy, Peter, the neighbour who's only trade mark in the show was to run away whenever he smelled trouble. He never spoke often either. Rudy was also a nice girl to watch except when she started to get older and felt too big for her age, please. I like Theo and his philosophies. Clair was the perfect working woman and house wife, a good example of a mother to watch. I also liked the little boy, Kenny although his ideas about women were blatantly sexist. Elvin and Sondra, okay, those two were just crazy in love and didn't know it until they got married and had kids. Even when they did, they were still confused. Denise, I never liked her. She was not funny and she tried hard to be. Then she's a part time rebel, that, I just did not get. Many people don't like to watch this show now and maybe it's because its final season ended about 10 years ago. But if this show were to still be around today, many people would still tune in. When this show first aired, I wasn't even born yet. I'm only 16. As the 90's rushed by, I started watching and fell in love. I think that this show is a big part of film history because it was not just a hilarious comedy about a black family but it was the number 1 TV series back in the 80's. No doubt. Bill Cosby had represented the all American dad in this show. His words and crazy antics, such as when he tried to patch up the cake with the napkin and covered it with icing, that was too funny! I have seen every episode over 20 times and each time, it still manages to keep me laughing. If I could get all the episodes on video or DVD, I'd more than save up my money and buy it! To me, no other television series could compare to this show. It is a shame that they all grew up and the show ended but while it lasted, it was great. I'm glad some cable stations still broadcast it, it just brings back a lot of fun memories. Rating, 9.98/10.

Great Show

Author: Dude2001 from Missouri
31 December 2002

I really enjoy this show. I consider this show a classic. It has morals and teaching in almost every episode. There isn't one day where every time I watch this show I Laugh out Loud all the time. I really enjoy how Bill Cosby did this show and I really enjoy all the actors. I really enjoy this show. A Great show.

One of the best shows from the eighties, but not of all time.

Author: persnickity27 from Washington, DC
19 November 2002

Being a child of the eighties, I grew up on The Cosby Show, and grew up with the Cosby kids (I'm around Tempest Bledsoe's age). Although I enjoyed the show very much, and still watch the reruns, I don't think it's one of the best shows of all time, as many people claim.

As a Black American, I appreciated the Cosby Show for showing another side of "black life". The Huxtables were intelligent, well off financially, and down-to-earth at the same time. That being said, I found that throughout the series, the Huxtables were totally isolated from the reality of the majority of Americans, let alone Black Americans.

For example, the episode in which Claire finds a joint in Theo's textbook. Theo says he didn't put it there, and Cliff and Claire take him at his word. He really didn't do it, but that's not the point. They find a joint on their teenage son, and they just drop the issue. The implication is that because Theo is a "good" kid, from a "good" family, he is somehow immune from the drug culture that permeated the teen scene of the time.

Then there's the episode in which Vanessa and her friends had to go all the way to Baltimore, to get conned, and taken. THEY'RE FROM NEW YORK CITY, FOR PETE'S SAKE!!! Have they no street smarts at all?

I know that Cliff was a doctor, and Claire was a lawyer, but I think the Huxtables were living off Bill Cosby's income, rather than their own. They had a PHAT New York brownstone, two cars, five kids (four going to prestigious universities during the show's run), and yet the only issue they ever had with money is when the kids wanted an extra buck in their allowance! Cliff even offered to pay for Sondra's law school education and his SON-IN-LAW'S medical school education, AT THE SAME TIME!!! We're talking about $100,000 a piece! Give me a break! Cliff also implied that he would pay for Pam (Claire's distant cousin) to go to college. Where was Dr. Huxtable when I needed him?

Over all, throughout it's long run, the Cosby Show was pretty good. The early years were the best, when Rudy was cute, Theo was cool, and Denise was...well...Denise! But after awhile, Rudy wasn't so cute anymore, Theo was Mr. Responsible, and Denise was...well...Denise! Cliff and Claire were consistently funny with each other in their banter and their relationships with the kids, but the magic began to fade as the kids grew up. After a lag, the show did improve with the addition of Olivia (just as adorable as Rudy used to be), Pam and her "urban" friends. Finally we get to see youth that didn't grow up in a vacuum.

Although the show probably lasted too long, it deserves much of the credit for reviving the sitcom genre (and taking NBC to the top). And I loved how the dorbell became a character throughout the last season. Barring the show being out of touch with reality, and Cosby's blatant exercise of political correctness, I'd give the show 6 out of 10 stars.

Bill Cosby At one of his finest

Author: CmHowell99 from San Diego, Ca
6 October 2002

This show is funny it has Bill Cosby playing himself as a doctor with his wife Clair who is a lawyer, and his 5 children. Some of the children eventually move out and the 2 older daughters eventually graduate from College and get married Sondra to Elvin and Denise to Martin. There was also Vanessa who just couldn't stop thinking about boys, Theo who had a brain but sometimes didn't use it, and Rudy who could avoid trouble. I watch the re runs on Nick At Nite when I get a chance. Elvin was a doctor as well. and Martin was a lieutenant in the military. I like this series because it teaches the facts of life.

Good, but "Family Matters" is better

Author: tahjhill2121 from Las Vegas
5 October 2002

This is just my opinion, but "The Cosby Show" is not as good as "Family Matters" Probably because I grew up with "Family Matters" and not "The Cosby show" but hey! That's just my opinion. If you wanna watch a black program thats better than "The Cosby Show" (especially those last couple of years) watch "Family Matters" But that's just my opinion

The Best 80s TV Show!

Author: imperial_wizard from portland, oregon
31 August 2002

Hilarious! I love the Cosby show and I always watch the reruns on Nick. I think this show deserved to be on longer than it was (although I do admit the later episodes were not as funny as the earlier.) Well, hopefully Mr. Cosby creates a new show about an African-American family, because the Cosby show is the best of the comedy shows about families.

I LOVE WATCHING the cosby show

Author: azizsair from Va USA
13 May 2002

The cosby show is one of the best and full time best comedy show I have ever seen. It is very funny. I want to thank Bill Cosby for bringing all his laughing excitement on television. The Cosby show is probably the richest show of all time.

Good old days

Author: J from Iowa
7 May 2002

The Cosby show might not have always been perfect, but even the not so good episodes are much better than a lot of what's on TV today. The series did have some weak spots in it, but it was almost always enjoyable to watch.

Strong start, weak ending…

Author: 14jade
11 March 2002

I actually enjoyed `The Cosby Show' for the first half of the series, but as most people will agree, it should have ended a lot sooner than it actually did. Adding characters is always the kiss of death. Theo and Denise (played by Malcolm-Jamal Warner and Lisa Bonet, respectively) were the funniest of the kids as a whole, but when the show started adding characters to compensate for their adulthood, the writing was on the wall. I know Bill Cosby had said in interviews that he only wanted the show to last five years. Too bad that didn't happen. I think the NBC suits put him under pressure to keep it on (and make the content more `family-oriented') since it was a ratings war-horse at the time. So while the first five seasons were really good, seasons six through eight left much to be desired. Nevertheless, I'd much rather look at `The Cosby Show' on three networks than `Family Matters' on one.

Why did this show drag on into the '90s?

Author: Bats_Breath from Phoenix, AZ
22 February 2002

"The Cosby Show" was a great, funny TV sitcom. But only the first 4 years were that way. This show should have been canceled in 1988, because that's when the show became terrible and people started talking about how desperate the series became with all the stupid gimmicks it was pulling. Instead "The Cosby Show" needlessly dragged on for 4 more years. It really should have been canceled then in '88 or maybey '89, sometime in the late '80s instead of dragging on into the '90s.

When the show finally was canceled in 1992 it was just God awful embarrassingly bad, and it was a very out of date series from the '80s that was just plain unwatchable. Believe me, it truly was unwatchable in it's final 3 years. This series really OVER-STAYED it's welcome.

Unlike many other hit sitcoms, "The Cosby Show" doesn't do well in reruns at all, and I think it's because people are afraid they may tune into one of the terrible or unwatchable last 4 years, instead of the really great first 4 years.

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]