IMDb > "The Cosby Show" (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Cosby Show"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Cosby Show" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

One of the most positive depictions of black families in the media...ever.

Author: sponj
4 March 2004

Not only was the Cosby show teaching lessons to out of control children, it also gave parents some insight on how they can deal with their own families. Cliff and Claire had chemestry and seemed determined to work together to raise

their children. The kids were funny because they did stupid things like piercing their ear, or lying about where they were all night. The all time funniest speech in Cosby show history is when Bill tried to explain to Vanessa the relationship between the youngest child, Rudy, and her goldfish, Lamont. But I digress, Bill Cosby did for blacks in television what Rosa Parks did for blacks on a bus. And that is my word because it's that deep.

Though somewhat overrated, it's still a good familyshow

Author: mary_fanofblairnjo from Southern MD
20 December 2003

Before I start commenting on the show, let me just say this about the comment I posted here when I was 10: Wow. I may have gone a LITTLE bit overboard about TCS back then. Maybe made a mistake or so. But, we all grow up, and I certainly have. But back then, it was a favorite show of mine. In my opinion, I think that TCS' constant exposure on Nick @ Nite is what made me a little less fond of the show. It's shown quite a lot over there, and sometimes it seems like too much. Which is unfortunate, because TCS is actually a pretty fun show (though I haven't watched it in a long time, honestly), just not my favorite, that's all. But I understand why it ruled the 80s, because it did have a huge impact on television. Denise was always my favorite character, it wasn't the same after she left (All the characters were great, though).

Author: phyre_orb from Computer
27 October 2003

Very nice show, the cast has great chemistry. The episodes were very nice in the early seasons, but in the later seasons they lacked the Cosby feel IMO *was Raven Symone,she's untalented*, Still,it is a very nice show, catch it late night if you have Nick-At-Night.

Pretty Good Show

Author: xImBreathlessx from Boston, MA
19 October 2003

This show was ok, Ive seen almost every episode, i like the first seasons alot but the show was all the same episodes every season. The Family was too perfect, nothing ever went wrong in their household and thats what i hated about it. Also, Bill Cosby was the only one on the show that was funny. I hated theo,Rudy and Vanessa and the other kids i dont care about, But Olivia was pretty funny. I think the show would of been better if the family had more problems but besides that i give it a 6 out of a 10.

One of my favorite shows!!

Author: Angelic_Swirls ( from Spring Hill, Florida, USA
14 July 2003

The Cosby Show is one of my most favorite shows, my favorite actresses are Erika Alexander and Raven-Symore, even know they were introduced near the end of the show, they were very funny. I try to record every single episode every time it's one. It is a great show and everyone should see it.

Author: rusted_halo_x from Houston, Texas
25 June 2003

This is a modern t.v. classic in all perspectives! This show was hilarious all 8 years it was on the air. The characters were enjoyable and the episodes dealed with growing up, wisdom, and family love.

The Cosby Show was well-fronted by Bill Cosby, and, indeed, is a classic.

exit the dragon

Author: soaringhorse
20 April 2003

Among the fond memories that this show conjures up are two or three that disturb.

1. Theo, truly one of the most hen-pecked sons to feature on TV. A fundamentally decent and civilised boy, living pathetically in the shadow of his parents who would never waste an inappropriate opportunity to correct or smother him. Constantly struggling to assert himself, and often losing badly, in particular against the weight of a smarmy, overbearing, smart-ass, dragonesque mother. Yet at no time is one made to feel that the parents might just be screwing things up, or just being normal, imperfect human beings when dealing with their kids. This is PARENTING 101, like it or not.

2. Cosby and wife were never more embarrassing than when the kids had been sent to bed, then starting their infantile romantic banter, never better remembered than when Bill would put on his 5-year-old-in-a-candy-store expression of wicked delight. OK, "Brady Bunch" this was not, but honest to God, how much pleasure is to be had watching Clair play "hard to get" for the umpteenth time?

3. The humour in the show seemed to start out a little off-the-wall, subversive even, and then ended as conservative, as predictable, as cautious and as plastic as shows with one-tenth of the talent on display. Maybe the writers, like Cosby's gut, became too flabby and no-one cared. No question, Cosby was at his peak when he was angrier and inhabited his characters on stage or in such shows as "Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids". "The Cosby Show" was a slick and well-crafted show that rode in on his earlier achievements but left little more than the memory of a few belly laughs.

"Good Times", for all of its broad characterisations, was far more in-your-face than "The Cosby Show" could dream of being, and assuming that the sitcom portrayal of a black family is an issue to begin with, a lot more honest.

Author: DominqueZarinha ( from Trinidad
14 January 2003

I have been watching this show for over 4 years and it has the best set of laughs I have ever gotten. I love it. Bill Cosby represented exactly what my dad was like. The only thing that was wrong with the show was that everything was too "perfect". They were too perfect with the storyline but other than that, it had a lot of funny parts. I like the characters especially the boy, Peter, the neighbour who's only trade mark in the show was to run away whenever he smelled trouble. He never spoke often either. Rudy was also a nice girl to watch except when she started to get older and felt too big for her age, please. I like Theo and his philosophies. Clair was the perfect working woman and house wife, a good example of a mother to watch. I also liked the little boy, Kenny although his ideas about women were blatantly sexist. Elvin and Sondra, okay, those two were just crazy in love and didn't know it until they got married and had kids. Even when they did, they were still confused. Denise, I never liked her. She was not funny and she tried hard to be. Then she's a part time rebel, that, I just did not get. Many people don't like to watch this show now and maybe it's because its final season ended about 10 years ago. But if this show were to still be around today, many people would still tune in. When this show first aired, I wasn't even born yet. I'm only 16. As the 90's rushed by, I started watching and fell in love. I think that this show is a big part of film history because it was not just a hilarious comedy about a black family but it was the number 1 TV series back in the 80's. No doubt. Bill Cosby had represented the all American dad in this show. His words and crazy antics, such as when he tried to patch up the cake with the napkin and covered it with icing, that was too funny! I have seen every episode over 20 times and each time, it still manages to keep me laughing. If I could get all the episodes on video or DVD, I'd more than save up my money and buy it! To me, no other television series could compare to this show. It is a shame that they all grew up and the show ended but while it lasted, it was great. I'm glad some cable stations still broadcast it, it just brings back a lot of fun memories. Rating, 9.98/10.

Great Show

Author: Dude2001 from Missouri
31 December 2002

I really enjoy this show. I consider this show a classic. It has morals and teaching in almost every episode. There isn't one day where every time I watch this show I Laugh out Loud all the time. I really enjoy how Bill Cosby did this show and I really enjoy all the actors. I really enjoy this show. A Great show.

One of the best shows from the eighties, but not of all time.

Author: persnickity27 from Washington, DC
19 November 2002

Being a child of the eighties, I grew up on The Cosby Show, and grew up with the Cosby kids (I'm around Tempest Bledsoe's age). Although I enjoyed the show very much, and still watch the reruns, I don't think it's one of the best shows of all time, as many people claim.

As a Black American, I appreciated the Cosby Show for showing another side of "black life". The Huxtables were intelligent, well off financially, and down-to-earth at the same time. That being said, I found that throughout the series, the Huxtables were totally isolated from the reality of the majority of Americans, let alone Black Americans.

For example, the episode in which Claire finds a joint in Theo's textbook. Theo says he didn't put it there, and Cliff and Claire take him at his word. He really didn't do it, but that's not the point. They find a joint on their teenage son, and they just drop the issue. The implication is that because Theo is a "good" kid, from a "good" family, he is somehow immune from the drug culture that permeated the teen scene of the time.

Then there's the episode in which Vanessa and her friends had to go all the way to Baltimore, to get conned, and taken. THEY'RE FROM NEW YORK CITY, FOR PETE'S SAKE!!! Have they no street smarts at all?

I know that Cliff was a doctor, and Claire was a lawyer, but I think the Huxtables were living off Bill Cosby's income, rather than their own. They had a PHAT New York brownstone, two cars, five kids (four going to prestigious universities during the show's run), and yet the only issue they ever had with money is when the kids wanted an extra buck in their allowance! Cliff even offered to pay for Sondra's law school education and his SON-IN-LAW'S medical school education, AT THE SAME TIME!!! We're talking about $100,000 a piece! Give me a break! Cliff also implied that he would pay for Pam (Claire's distant cousin) to go to college. Where was Dr. Huxtable when I needed him?

Over all, throughout it's long run, the Cosby Show was pretty good. The early years were the best, when Rudy was cute, Theo was cool, and Denise was...well...Denise! But after awhile, Rudy wasn't so cute anymore, Theo was Mr. Responsible, and Denise was...well...Denise! Cliff and Claire were consistently funny with each other in their banter and their relationships with the kids, but the magic began to fade as the kids grew up. After a lag, the show did improve with the addition of Olivia (just as adorable as Rudy used to be), Pam and her "urban" friends. Finally we get to see youth that didn't grow up in a vacuum.

Although the show probably lasted too long, it deserves much of the credit for reviving the sitcom genre (and taking NBC to the top). And I loved how the dorbell became a character throughout the last season. Barring the show being out of touch with reality, and Cosby's blatant exercise of political correctness, I'd give the show 6 out of 10 stars.

Page 5 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]