IMDb > "The Cosby Show" (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Cosby Show"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Cosby Show" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

My FAVORITE Show of All Time

Author: Burger (jlbactor@comcast.net) from Huntsville, Alabama
27 July 2004

The Cosby Show is a part of our culture, our heritage. It is a story about the life of an African-American family in the mid-80 to early-90's. It should be a part of every American's household. In it you see the development of the characters, just like they are The Huxtable's. The cast members were like a family, on and off screen. They were all great people & characters, especially Bill Cosby. With his ad-libbing, sense-of-humor, personality, and all other talents, there was never a dull episode. I will say that The Cosby Show doesn't appeal to all. Some just don't like it at all. And if so, then that's too bad. But for me, it's my all-time favorite Show. In fact, I hope someday to own every episode on VHS or DVD. I wish I was old enough to have grown up watching it. I'm just glad Nick at Night still shows it. I make it a high priority to see it whenever it's on. It will always be a part of me.

One of the best Black Families on Television

Author: Kevinisha Gordon (bigchief0418) from New Orleans, Louisiana
27 May 2004

The Cosby Show is one of my favorite television shows because mainly, Bill and Phylicia are one of my favorite actors/actresses. One of the things I loved best about the show was that it had a black family that was well-off, because usually it's always a white rich family but it wasn't. Clair and Cliff were always supportive of their kids and always wanted to back them 100 percent no matter what it was. Cliff would always say that he wanted all those people to get out of his house, which to me he loved that all his kids were staying with him, because if he didn't he would'nt rant about it as he did. Cliff and Clair tried to encourage their kids to do the right thing as sometimes they didn't and them as the parents had to give out the consequences. The best thing about the Huxtable family is that the children didn't only have Mom and Dad to support them, they also had Grandma and Grandpa (Russell and Anna Huxtable). Cliff and Clair were trendsetters for black families back then, and today too. The Cosby Show the best Balck Family on Television.

Those Good Old Fashion Family Values on Which We Used to Rely!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
27 April 2004

[MAY BE SPOILERS]

The Cosby Show is perhaps the best family sitcom for the family audience in years. It was a show you could feel safe in letting your kids watch, not like the trash on TV today. The show started in 1984 and starred the upper class Huxtable family living in upstate New York City. There was the patriarch, Clifford Heathcliff Huxtable, who was a pediatrician. Matriarch Claire Huxtable was a lawyer. And then there's the kids: Sondra who was away at college, Denise, the pretty one and the down to earth one, Theo the only son, then there were Vanessa, and Rudy, the youngest. As time went on, the kids grew up. Sondra eventually grew up and married a boy named Elvin Tibideaux, which proved to be a real nitwit. Cliff would show his dislike for Elvin on occasion and frankly, I didn't really blame him. Soon Denise met Lt. Martin Kendall, who had a daughter, Olivia. The new characters really gave depth to the show. Around the late '80s, Rudy was growing up and was no longer the little cute one, and since Cliff was so hysterical around little kids, they had to get another one in. So along came little Olivia. She was so cute!

I like the episode where Theo is confident he can move out of the house and make it on his own, so the Huxtable family is determined to see if he really can, so they dress up as landlords, bank managers, and bill collectors just to show Theo and his friend, Cockroach, just what a cruel world it really was. That episode would be helpful to anyone who "thinks" they are ready to move out and make it on their own; Another good episode was the Thanksgiving one when it was stormy weather outside and Cliff kept having to go out; Another good one was when Cliff and Claire pay a visit to Elvin and an expecting Sondra, in their broken down, dump of an apartment. The landlord was clearly a slumlord who neglected fixing things in the apartment. Cliff and Claire decreed they had to move, but Elvin and Sondra took offense and scolded them for butting in, but it was Denise who got them to settle their differences. Pretty soon, Sondra had the baby. Two of them! Twins! They were named Winnie and Nelson. I'd have to say my favorite episode of all time is the one where Denise offers to babysit the twins so Elvin and Sondra could get a night to themselves. So Denise and Olivia tend to the apartment and all goes swimmingly--until the power goes out. That's a good one.

Yeah, The Cosby Show had a good run from 1984 until 1992. By then the kids were all older and Denise had left. She first left in 1987, but came back in 1989, only to leave again in 1991. That was a girl who went places. And in the pilot, Sondra didn't exist. Claire: "Why do we have four children?" Cliff: "Because we did not want five". But then a pilot episode is always different from the actual series. The cast: Bill Cosby is here and he just plays Cliff to a tee! The jokes are well timed and very funny. Bill Cosby's type of comedy is actual a cool, laid-back attitude rather than someone who walks around ranting and raving all the time. Phylicia Rashad was a good Claire. She played a very strong woman. Sabrina LeBeauf played Sondra, even though she was in her late twenties. Lisa Bonet was Denise, and to be totally honest, she's my favorite. Malcolm Jamaal-Warner is Theo. He was good. So were Tempestt Bledsoe as Vanessa and Keshia Knight-Pulliam as Rudy. Geoffrey Owens is Elvin, and Raven-Symoné was Olivia. Today, she's 18 and has her very own show on The Disney Channel, "That's So Raven!" So in conclusion, the next time it's on TV, I recommend you catch an episode of The Cosby Show. It's a very well done show. It's funny and it is very family friendly! By the way, the subject line text I got from the Family Guy theme song.

One of the best shows ever!

Author: jsataluri from United States
9 April 2004

Bill Cosby brought a huge landmark in TV forever when the Cosby Show debuted in 1984. Not only did it show African Americans in a funnier light, it provided many values and important aspects in life that we can all relate to. In this show, Cosby plays Dr. Cliff Huxtable, a surgeon who lives in Brooklyn Heights with his lawyer wife, Clair (Phylicia Rashad) and his five children, Sondra (Sabrina Le Beauf), Denise (Lisa Bonet), Theo (Malcolm-Jamal Warner), Vanessa (Tempestt Bledsoe) and Rudy (Keisha Knight Pulliam). Throughout the show, it discussed many themes like love, loyalty and growing up. It also brought out parenthood tips, how to be firm and decisive for your family and to be properly equipped with education and common sense when you're in the real world. The humor comes in when mistakes occur as a result and we are able to learn from all these. For example when Cliff bought a vegetable mixture in which he could make juice out of vegetables and when Rudy broke the machine, Cliff was forbidden never to buy an appliance again. Another one is when Theo gets straight Ds and tells Cliff that he should respect him for who he is and Cliff thinks this is the dumbest thing he ever heard and tells him to try even harder than before, because that's the only way to become successful. Otherwise "I'll take you out of this world!" occurs.

Although Bill Cosby does take the cake with his improvisations, Clair and the kids also provide humorous, especially anytime Clair freaked out or went into a nonstop Spanish conversation. Priceless! My favorite kids would be Theo and Rudy because the hilarious episodes that occur to them. My least favorite is Vanessa, because I find her annoying and arrogant. In some episodes she was fine, but in the rest, UGGGH! There are too many episodes I find memorable, but to me the best remembered is the Stevie Wonder episode. Not only does it hilarious but it shows how much fun a family can have together, except for Cliff and his "Baby". Other episodes include Theo in the real world, Theo and Mrs. Westlake episodes, Rudy playing football- "Sweet Feet!", Cliff's day off and the track ones where Cliff is training for the 4X4 relay at the Armory and at Penn.

By 1989, the show started wearing down with the arrival of Raven-Symone as Olivia and Erika Alexander as Pam (who was not needed at all). The show mostly concentrated on them and it lost much of the humor before. But the last episode brought everyone back together with a fantastic ending to a long lived series.

To me, the Cosby Show will always the number one sitcom. I love it so much that I can always watch every single day. 10/10.

One of the most positive depictions of black families in the media...ever.

Author: sponj
4 March 2004

Not only was the Cosby show teaching lessons to out of control children, it also gave parents some insight on how they can deal with their own families. Cliff and Claire had chemestry and seemed determined to work together to raise

their children. The kids were funny because they did stupid things like piercing their ear, or lying about where they were all night. The all time funniest speech in Cosby show history is when Bill tried to explain to Vanessa the relationship between the youngest child, Rudy, and her goldfish, Lamont. But I digress, Bill Cosby did for blacks in television what Rosa Parks did for blacks on a bus. And that is my word because it's that deep.

One of the most positive depictions of black families in the media...ever.

Author: sponj
4 March 2004

Though somewhat overrated, it's still a good familyshow

Author: mary_fanofblairnjo from Southern MD
20 December 2003

Before I start commenting on the show, let me just say this about the comment I posted here when I was 10: Wow. I may have gone a LITTLE bit overboard about TCS back then. Maybe made a mistake or so. But, we all grow up, and I certainly have. But back then, it was a favorite show of mine. In my opinion, I think that TCS' constant exposure on Nick @ Nite is what made me a little less fond of the show. It's shown quite a lot over there, and sometimes it seems like too much. Which is unfortunate, because TCS is actually a pretty fun show (though I haven't watched it in a long time, honestly), just not my favorite, that's all. But I understand why it ruled the 80s, because it did have a huge impact on television. Denise was always my favorite character, it wasn't the same after she left (All the characters were great, though).

Nice.

Author: phyre_orb from Computer
27 October 2003

Very nice show, the cast has great chemistry. The episodes were very nice in the early seasons, but in the later seasons they lacked the Cosby feel IMO *was Raven Symone,she's untalented*, Still,it is a very nice show, catch it late night if you have Nick-At-Night.

Pretty Good Show

Author: xImBreathlessx from Boston, MA
19 October 2003

This show was ok, Ive seen almost every episode, i like the first seasons alot but the show was all the same episodes every season. The Family was too perfect, nothing ever went wrong in their household and thats what i hated about it. Also, Bill Cosby was the only one on the show that was funny. I hated theo,Rudy and Vanessa and the other kids i dont care about, But Olivia was pretty funny. I think the show would of been better if the family had more problems but besides that i give it a 6 out of a 10.

One of my favorite shows!!

Author: Angelic_Swirls (cloverific_spirits@hotmail.com) from Spring Hill, Florida, USA
14 July 2003

The Cosby Show is one of my most favorite shows, my favorite actresses are Erika Alexander and Raven-Symore, even know they were introduced near the end of the show, they were very funny. I try to record every single episode every time it's one. It is a great show and everyone should see it.

Page 4 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]