IMDb > "The Cosby Show" (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Cosby Show"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Cosby Show" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

The Most Dominant 80's Show

Author: davulture from United States
20 May 2007

You'd have to be crazy to think the Cosby Show wasn't the most dominant network show on television during the 80's. The Show focused on an upper class family living in Brooklyn. Bill Cosby as Cliff Huxtable creates an uncanny charm as a great father to his children but at the same time he himself is childish in behavior. Claire Huxtable portrayed by Phylicia Rashad is very assertive and has a dominant role despite the fact she is second to Bill Cosby. She gracefully commands a scene. Plus the kids of the Huxtables are all portrayed to perfection from Theo, Denise, Sondra, Rudy, etc......even the guests including Earle Hyman as Cliff's father are interesting and un-pretentious. My only beef with the show would be the last two years when the cast addition of Pam was introduced the Huxtable kids become to old. The show toward the end became a flutter of characters but still very good. Great 80's show and the finale was probably one of the best I've seen on television. Amazing.

Il Hamdulilah for the Cosby show... America's not all sex and violence

Author: Laura (balootiful@hotmail.com) from United States
23 August 2005

Il Hamdu Lilah for Cosby! The Cosby show is broadcast every weeknight on an Arabic satellite channel, which might not seem like a big deal to you, but to me, it's a huge relief. I have been living in Egypt for about a year, and I am sick of seeing my culture portrayed by Hollywood (although its my home). Most American t.v. and movies are heavily censored (and usually make no sense once large chunks have been cut out), but the Cosby show remains intact. Why? Because it portrays a normal family (more or less)who care about each other. Cosby is a great ambassador. I don't want to get into a whole debate on whether the Cosby show is an accurate portrayal of American life, but compared to most shows and movies, it makes us seem less like sex crazed gun tooting fools, and for that, I am surely glad. I love watching the Cosby show every night before bed, but it also comforts me to know that there is at least one t.v. show out there trying to handle American P.R. to the Middle East...it should be an example to others... The T.V. doesn't end in America....every one sees our entertainment. It can be misread and it can be dangerous...just ask all the other western girls in Egypt who get hassled every day because of the stereotypes of foreign women that Egyptian men see on the screen. I wish they still made t.v. like Cosby....sentimental perhaps, but funny and relaxing, without being cheesy and daft! Shukran ya Cosby! Laura

Last of the "True" Sit-coms

Author: ralsalongi from Allentown, PA
3 August 2005

I really believe The Cosby Show was the Last of the true sit-coms. Here was a good clean show, unlike most comedies that are on today. He and his wife taught the kids morals and that is missing from most sit-coms on today. There was no sex talk on the show which also made it great. Most comedies today are nothing but sex jokes. You don't mind it once in a while, but the way it is portrayed today on TV is outrageous.

This was one of the few shows that I wish would have lasted a little longer. What I'd like too see shortly is a reunion show or movie. It could show the other kids married and raising children of their own etc.

I salute the Great Bill Cosby for making this show. It really rocked!!!

A true Classic!

Author: gillsjunque
28 November 2004

A true classic in the truest sense of the word. Cosby and Company are priceless as the Huxtables. The youngsters sometimes steal the show, but the commaraderie and closeness of everyone involved in apparent. The best shows are the ones where the family lipsyncs to one of the many classics, complete with the "moves." Most in particular when they put on a "Show" for the grandparents. This is definitely a show for all ages, and one that the family can sit and watch without fear of something inappropriate coming up in the conversation that you have to explain to your little ones as you sit in the evenings. Even as the older kids grew and moved out, as oft happens in real life, the freshness of the show remained.

The greatest show

Author: aimee21420 (aimee21420@yahoo.com)
13 October 2004

Hi to everyone. I came here by doing a search for The Cosby Show DVDs. I, like most of you, am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the DVD. I still watch the reruns that come on TV daily (Nick at Nite, TBS, WGN). I LOVE the Huxtable's. They always make me laugh, they are the perfect American family dream. I longed to be a Huxtable (still do actually). I learned some interesting trivia facts from this site. Does anyone know of any other interesting facts (or great websites)? Maybe if we all keep writing letters we can get them to start making the DVDs. I put my name on the list at Amazon (it says that are not currently producing), but I remember waiting on the same list for Indiana Jones (it was not in production either) and one glorious day I got the e-mail, so maybe in time (it's long overdue I must say). If I find any new info I will be sure to post.

One of the best sitcoms of all time.

Author: k_dizzle_scarface_nizzle from Ozark, Alabama
10 October 2004

This was the show that saved not only NBC, but the sitcom format in general.

This show premiered at a time when soap operas like DALLAS, DYNASTY, and KNOTS LANDING where the order of the day, and classic sitcoms like M*A*S*H, HAPPY DAYS, ALL IN THE FAMILY, and THE JEFFERSONS were meeting-or met-their end. COSBY brings back a time when children actually respected their parents and elders and proved that not all blacks had strut, yell and spit one-liners to carry a show. The Huxtables were like a second family to me as a child. I always looked forward to Thursday nights at 8:00 for eight years. This show, along with FAMILY TIES, CHEERS, and NIGHT COURT was a part of the original MUST SEE TV lineup in the 80s.

The Best Show to Ever See Television

Author: attractive1925 (attractive1925@yahoo.com) from Nashville, Tn
15 August 2004

The Cosby Show has always been and will always be my all-time favorite show.

This show is good and wholesome and leaves you feeling warm all over. The show shows an African American family and how they deal with their life. I have always enjoyed the humor in the show and appreciate the real life situations addressed in the show.

The Cosby Show was the number one show for a number of years and actually held the record on the charts until the The Simpson's came and bumped it down. I enjoy this show because it shows an African American family in a positive light, something that is missing on television today. The show was funny and entertaining and serves as a model for many families.

Good tiny spoilers.

Author: sailorcora from Illinois, America
1 August 2004

I like this show. It is so real and down to earth. A lot of families are like the one in this show. A doctor and a lawyer as parents the kids grow up safe and secure and don't want to leave home. Cliff huxtable is a well to do doctor who just wants his home to himself after raising his children. his wife a lawyer wants the same but also doesn't want to let her children go. There children range from the smart to the not so smart. Then near the end of the show Ravyn-Symone joins. She is the stepdaughter of the second daughter denise. She just brings so much humor to the show and is adorable. Bill Cosby did a great job on this show and is one of the funniest actors out there. I would give this show an eleven out of ten because the humor and the good acting.

My FAVORITE Show of All Time

Author: Burger (jlbactor@comcast.net) from Huntsville, Alabama
27 July 2004

The Cosby Show is a part of our culture, our heritage. It is a story about the life of an African-American family in the mid-80 to early-90's. It should be a part of every American's household. In it you see the development of the characters, just like they are The Huxtable's. The cast members were like a family, on and off screen. They were all great people & characters, especially Bill Cosby. With his ad-libbing, sense-of-humor, personality, and all other talents, there was never a dull episode. I will say that The Cosby Show doesn't appeal to all. Some just don't like it at all. And if so, then that's too bad. But for me, it's my all-time favorite Show. In fact, I hope someday to own every episode on VHS or DVD. I wish I was old enough to have grown up watching it. I'm just glad Nick at Night still shows it. I make it a high priority to see it whenever it's on. It will always be a part of me.

One of the best Black Families on Television

Author: Kevinisha Gordon (bigchief0418) from New Orleans, Louisiana
27 May 2004

The Cosby Show is one of my favorite television shows because mainly, Bill and Phylicia are one of my favorite actors/actresses. One of the things I loved best about the show was that it had a black family that was well-off, because usually it's always a white rich family but it wasn't. Clair and Cliff were always supportive of their kids and always wanted to back them 100 percent no matter what it was. Cliff would always say that he wanted all those people to get out of his house, which to me he loved that all his kids were staying with him, because if he didn't he would'nt rant about it as he did. Cliff and Clair tried to encourage their kids to do the right thing as sometimes they didn't and them as the parents had to give out the consequences. The best thing about the Huxtable family is that the children didn't only have Mom and Dad to support them, they also had Grandma and Grandpa (Russell and Anna Huxtable). Cliff and Clair were trendsetters for black families back then, and today too. The Cosby Show the best Balck Family on Television.

Page 3 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]