IMDb > "The Cosby Show" (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Cosby Show"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Cosby Show" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Need we say more about one of the greatest sitcoms to grace the 1980's

Author: raysond from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
16 April 2002

Need I say more about a show that depicted a successful African-American family that had its ups and downs but still made us laugh out loud each and every Thursday evening during its spectacular eight year run on NBC during the 1980's? Yes,The Cosby Show was all that and so much more. This gentle yet hip family comedy was the number one program on television for much of the mid-1980's(it was the Number One show at the top of the Nielsen for the five consecutive seasons that it was on the air)and a striking reminder that TV shows don't have to built on gimmicks to succeed. The series was the first and foremost to be based on a successful standup comedian's act. Bill Cosby had full creative control of this series as well as being the executive producer. Although the main focus was on the immediate family,a number of other characters were seen occasionally,Cliff's parents Anna and Russell and Clair folks Carrie and Al Hanks turned up once in a while as well as a host of other characters during its entire eight year-run.

The series produced 201 episodes and it was on NBC's biggest hits of the 1980's and well into the early 1990's. Premiering on September 20,1984 until May 17,1992 the series was one of its biggest hits on the Thursday night lineup in cohort with "Cheers" and "Hill Street Blues" as it winning combination. No wonder it became one of the biggest sitcoms of the 80's and for good reason it still holds the title.

Not the greatest

Author: radrobd from California
25 June 2002

To me it seems, "The Cosby Show" is different things to different people, depending on what you want to believe. To some people, this show was more like a new-found religion, that preached family values and other wholesome messages, blah, blah, blah. To me, it was a ridiculously mediocre family sitcom that was WAY overrated. To be fair, the show was a hit at the time, ranking #1 in the ratings for a few years. But, does good ratings necessarily mean quality. I mean "Laverne & Shirley" was the #1 rated show at one point too. My point it, take an objective look at this show now (reruns air on "Nick at Nite") and decide for yourself if this show is funny without believing all the hype. I for one don't find the least bit of humor in this program, despite (or maybe in spite) all the mugging Cosby does for the camera. This show was nothing but an updated 80's version of the Brady Bunch, a rather bland family stuck into corny (and often unrealisitic) situations.

Love it!

Author: v-mars-19-7324 from United States
5 June 2014

I've always loved this show, it's somehow comforting especially the earlier episodes. Who doesn't want to grow up with parents like Cliff and Claire? Phylicia Rashad is just a stunning woman I really enjoyed her character as a young female it was always inspiring that she towed the line of professional and mother so well especially during a time that was just getting used the to concept of professional working mothers. I didn't love all the children characters, Sondra and Vanessa were not at the top of my list but all in all it's always my go to show to cheer up. The mother/father chemistry between Rashad and Cosby was just fantastic and I rarely see that nowadays, you really believed they were Claire and Cliff.

Gave Society Something to Aim For

Author: AsifZamir from Canada
6 October 2013

The Cosby Show is one of my favourite sitcoms and I feel that it should be mandatory viewing for people who think that life is all about dope-smoking and wearing saggy-pants that show your underwear.

It's a fantastic situation comedy featuring an African American family that is financially well off and trying to raise their children. Bill Cosby plays a doctor and father (I think the father part being more important).

Wouldn't it be nice if more families were like this? This show gave people something to aim for, and that's why I rate it so high.

I've got my own favourite episodes and I bet you do to, so grab some popcorn and enjoy the Cosby Show.

Bridging the racial and generational divide

Author: Artimidor Federkiel from Austria
7 August 2013

The mother of all family sit-coms was aptly named after Bill Cosby, the "TV Dad of All Time" (according to "TV Guide" among others), who stars in the role of Cliff Huxtable, an upper middle-class African-American obstetrician living in Brooklyn, New York. Upper middle-class African-American? Not that such a constellation is a very common sight. However, by presenting a working family life of blacks in this milieu, Cosby makes the difference, breaks traditional stereotypes, constitutes a positive example, raises awareness by portraying normalcy where you wouldn't expect it. It is the same Bill Cosby who wrote TV history by playing a secret agent back then in the Sixties in "I Spy" at the side of his white partner, portrayed by Robert Culp. Showcasing an African-American in a leading role? In 1965 such outrageousness even led to bans of the programme by a couple of stations in the American south. Well, in other circles Cosby was rewarded with three consecutive Emmys. For exactly that show: "I Spy".

Later on Bill Cosby wouldn't submit his name anymore for Emmy consideration as competition between actors wasn't what "The Cosby Show" was all about. Five consecutive seasons ranking as #1 American TV programme however made clear that Cosby was on to something with his new sit-com. The show hit like a bomb and worked for African-Americans, Americans, and, well, eventually the rest of the world. Especially because entertainment and education have never been as indiscernibly close together as in a programme like this, where style, intent and themes succeed on multiple levels. "The Cosby Show" has become legendary as it works not only across the racial, but also across the generational divide with ease, and a comedic powerhouse and role model like Cosby never dates - it was funny in the Eighties, for kids, parents, grandparents, and still is. Cosby ad-libs, Phylicia Rashad as his wife complements him beautifully and with verve, the kids are adorable and grow to own personalities in front of your eyes. "The Cosby Show" tackles a wide range of issues you might expect from a family programme - coming of age problems, social ones, right down to dyslexia, teenage pregnancy and divorce. Never preaching, but realistic, always with humor. Cosby, father of five, has seen and lived through it all, including the death of his own son who was shot by an armed robber. He knows how to spell family values. In other words: Need advice on parenting? Then do yourself a favor and watch "The Cosby Show". Your kids will thank you. No joke.

Positive Portrayal of ALL Famlilies

Author: by xander from Canada
12 September 2012

This show believably portrays how amazing and fun a family can be when they love and respect each other. This is phenomenon that might be lost on younger generations. As child rearing and marriage is taken much less seriously. Claire Huxtable (Phylicia Rashad) will will always be the love of my life. I doubt I will find a woman as confident and sensual as this woman. She is lucid and feminine and seems to have no trace of any insecurities. She could be THE role model for woman. Arguably it could be said this is a show based around role models. How to be a good brother, or sister, or husband and wife. I cant think of a good role model on TV today.....

Affable Huxtables made it look easy.

Author: Pierre_D from Ottawa, Canada
26 August 2009

The Cosby show had it all; comedy, drama and a little romance to boot. Heathcliff Huxtable and the lovely Claire ran a tight household while maintaining busy careers.

They were held in check by Cliff's parents and their children, most notably the irrepressible Theo and the idealist Denise. Malcom Jamal-Warner as Theo re-invited Hip-Hop with his friend Coackroach, jamming memorably:

"This is the name of a game called life, we like deluxe burgers and not small fries."

The show peaked in the late 80s, when the children lost their 'cuteness' and Theo bore more and more responsibility toward the household. The show eventually lost most of its charm as it descended into cameos from various African American musicians and endless card games between Cliff's family members. Still, it did provide positive role models for African Americans when they were largely being ignored by prime time television.

Get ready for heart warming lessons!

Author: tammyluvsfilm from United States
22 February 2009

Tammy also luvs TV and REALLY loves those wonderful Huxtables. If you think you know it all from your own childhood, Claire and Cliff have plenty to teach you. It would seem as though the show is mostly about Cliff trying to sneak in a nap, or famous guest stars delighting the kids with visits (what kid doesn't love Lena Horne or hearing Christopher Plumber ("Sound of Music") recite Shakespeare???) but it's so much more than that. It was high time wealthy TV parents finally taught the kids that the money doesn't belong to the kids...it's Claire and Cliff who were rich and successful! The kids were poor! And a great lesson was learned by all Americans when Denise was kicked off of the show for appearing in the altogether in that film with Micky Rourke. The rotten apple was hurled from the tree! Bill Cosby really knows how to make us think and I thank him daily for this ground breaking series.

I wish Bill Cosby could've been my dad!

Author: NCarolinaGirl from Greensboro, NC
15 February 2009

I grew up watching this show. I tried to never miss an episode. There was something about the Huxtable family that made me wish they were my family.

Bill Cosby's humor was incredible. And I loved that it was all stories we could relate to - family life. Back then, I related to it as a child. Now, since I have a family of my own, I relate to it as a parent. This was what made the show so relevant regardless of your age - you could watch it with yours kids, your parents and your grandparents. I think it has a timeless appeal to it. I still try to catch it when I can on reruns.

It was great watching the kids grow up on the show. I don't think there were ever two cuter little girls than Rudy and Olivia. They upstaged everyone with their cuteness when they were still small.

I prefer the early seasons when the kids were younger - the show got a little weird towards the end with the cousin. It seemed as though they were running out of material. But even some of those shows are better than much of the garbage that is on TV today.

Of course, being the 80's, there are hilarious hairdo's and clothes. But it makes the watching even more fun now - to look back at the ridiculous styles! And who can forget Bill's psychedelic sweaters.

There something about this show that reminds me of another classic that has endured for over 40 years now and that is THE MAYBERRY SHOW. They have similar themes about family and using good ole common sense, dispensed with lots of love, that never grows old. I believe THE COSBY SHOW will become another enduring classic that will only grow better with time. Isn't it always good to look back and remember the "good ole days".

An Extraordinary Show With Ordinary People

Author: sarah-giggles from United States
18 October 2007

This show is probably the best show that has ever been on TV. My mom loves it, and so does my brother and my friends that have seen it. This is one of those rare shows that kids and adults can sit down and watch together and both really enjoy.

Bill Cosby was always funny and always kept the show fresh. Raven Symone in the later seasons did a better job at acting than she did in "That's So Raven." Rudy was just the cutest little girl! This show was extraordinary, and so many people watch it, even still to this very day. Whether you're watching your first or one hundredth episode, it is just as entertaining. What made this show so entertaining and memorable was that they portrayed things that would happen in every day life. Many times when I watch this show I laugh just thinking that that sounds just like my life.

Whenever I'm sick or depressed I watch one episode of "Cosby" and I already feel better. I would definitely recommend this show.

Page 2 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]