IMDb > "Charles in Charge" (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Charles in Charge" More at IMDbPro »

Great sitcom for kids

Author: junk-879 from United States
28 March 2006

I rented this series for my 11 year old daughter to watch with me,as I had loved it when I was a kid and it was on first-run. I'm happy to say that she loves it, too. It's a wholesome show for kids to watch that is amusing and has a good moral to every show. I find it very refreshing to watch, and enjoy it myself, even after all these years. It's hard to find shows for my daughter to watch that aren't filled with sexual references, even when the show is supposed to be aimed at kids. Yes, the show is dated a bit, but if you're looking for a fun, entertaining, wholesome show for your kids to watch that hasn't been shown to rerun death already on TV, this is the show for you.

One of the best sitcoms of the 80s!

Author: Indyfan82 from Somewhere over the Rainbow
23 October 2002

This was one of my favorite shows growing up! It's still one of my favorites now! I watch it all the time on Nick at Nite. I have seen some of the episodes from the 1st. season, but I have to admit that I watched the show in syndication, so I grew up seeing the Powell family. However, the Pembrokes were great too. I'm especially thankful for the "Amityville" episode which explained why Charles was set up with a new family and kept continuity intact. Charles is cool, but Buddy is the best! Anyway, the show rules! (no matter what season)

Worst show I've ever watched

Author: Kelly Walker (kelkel75@peoplepc.com) from St. Petersburg, Fl
23 February 2002

This show is probably the worst sit-com of the 80's(Well, it ties with Mr. Belvedere" The actors were horrible and the plots were stupid. The entire show was just as unbelievable as you can get. I'm just glad I don't see it on reruns all the time.

Possible Spin-off Episodes

Author: juvevk from United States
25 September 2009

I loved watching this show back when it first aired, and I loved watching it recently on DVD.

I noticed that as the show came to an end, that 3 episode in particular seemed as attempted spin-off pilots for some of the cast.

Season 5 Episode 19 "Lost Resort" Seemed like a pilot for a Willie Aames spin-off series.

Season 5 Episode 23 "Almost Family" Seemed like an Ellen Travolta spin-off attempt.

And Season 5 Episode 25 "Fair Exchange" looked like a Nicole Eggert spin-off pilot.

Is it just me, or did these really do look like Pilot Episodes for shows that never came to be? All 3 were directed by Scott Baio, so they might of just been attempts by him to get into the director's chair, or it might of been in his contract and the producers let him do whatever he wanted. But they seemed like spin-offs to me. Of course, they never came to be. Of the 3 the only one I think would of had a chance at a half season is Fair Exchange, but, the acting was terrible in it. This shows how worse the other two were. All in all, they were interesting concepts, maybe with a re-format they might of gotten picked up.

1984 version was better than the second version

Author: dani29 from DE
30 June 2002

The 1984 version was better than the second version in the late '80s. It featured better plots and better actors. Also, Buddy was not an idiot on the first version, as he was on the second version. Still, it wasn't that great a show, when you compare it to Scott Baio's other show (Happy Days) and Willie Aames's other show (Eight is Enough).

Let's Hear It For Josie Davis!

Author: Boone Williams (boonewilliams@earthlink.net) from Tulsa, OK
31 October 2001

Charles in Charge had one of the greatest premises for a sitcom ever: that grownups really DO understand, that they are human and fallible, yet reliable and caring. I have come to identify with the noble notion that as adults, we all have a responsibility to help the youth in our community through the rough spots in their lives. I found it excruciatingly ironic that Josie Davis, despite playing a role that revolved around "the beauty within," felt like the "ugly sister."

Several people have commented that the Jaimie character was their first crush, but I always thought Josie Davis was hands down the more beautiful of the two. Having seen her since on 90210, I gotta say, "YOWZA!" Was I right or what? Inner beauty rocks, and Josie's got it inside and out!

It was great!

Author: baceballbaybee3 from Miami FL
28 June 2001

I loved it so much, thank-you so much to the creators!!!! and Scott Baio looked super cute!!!! =) I think he's a good actor, i loved the series so much, i thought it was one of the best series' i've seen from the 80's(i always watch reruns whenever i see them!!), and it was really good!!

Days And Nights, Wrongs And Rights

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
22 July 2012

Scott Baio after Happy Days concluded its run was lucky enough to grab this second series which gave him quite a few more years in front of the American television viewing public. Lucky because the whole cast revamped in the second season except for Baio and Willie Aames.

Charles In Charge's most current series that is like it is Jessie from the Disney Channel. He's a college student who pays his tuition as a live in Au Pere for a family with three kids. The first season the family was the Pembrokes, but for some reason the family never clicked with the public. So in the second season Baio comes back from summer vacation and finds a whole new family moved in with three kids, two girls and a boy of roughly the same ages and he has to make a case to be hired by the newly arrived Powell family. He does in that first episode and the run for seven years was assured.

The only other regular kept on was Aames who played Buddy Lembeck, Charles best friend who provided most of the comedy. In Eight Is Enough Aames was your all American kid, here he's your all American doofus. I mean who else orders patio furniture without a patio, that was the level of comedy Aames provided, but he was funny.

Like Jessie, Charles was always around with some good advice and ever ready to solve the problems of the Powell kids. Ellen Travolta was in several episodes toward the end and we learned she called him 'doodlebug' as pet name. That didn't help with discipline.

Charles In Charge was a clean wholesome show that had some good comedy and some sound advice for living as well.

It was better on network television!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
19 May 2006

I hate to say this but I preferred the first family, the Pembrokes to the Powells, but beggars can't be choosers. I remember when the show first aired on CBS television. Again after a year, the show had a large following but there was not enough room in the prime time schedule for an average sitcom in the age of Cosby Show's success. If you think about, Charles In Charge paralleled Mama's Family on NBC which attracted probably not the kind of audience that the network wanted for their demographics. Like Charles in Charge, Mama's Family was cancelled after 2 seasons. It resurfaced over a year later on Saturday evening television in something called syndication. The same for Charles in Charge, there was the audience for the comedy. Unlike Mama's Family, Charles in Charge replaced an entire family. The Powells were prettier than the Pembrokes but I liked the first family better. Sandra Kerns who played Mrs. Powell disappeared even though her name and face were in the credits, she left sometime during the production to raise her own family sadly. We never caught much of her again. It was more about Skippy, Charles, and the new kids. So I still watched the episodes but I thought the show got weaker with Ellen Travolta playing Charles' mother. James Callahan's role as the grandfather got bigger as well.

Why isn't this great show on Tv Land

Author: Stephen Verhaeren (Spwysteve@aol.com) from Palos Park, IL USA
27 August 2002

This show only airs early Satuday and Sunday moring (in less it is in diffrent in your area) at 4:00-5:00 on Nick. Only two actors were on this series the whole run, and they are Scott Baio and Willie Aames. The actors that were on the series bewteen 1984-1985 are, Julie Cobb, April Lerman, Michael Pearlman, Jennifer Runyon, Jonathan Ward and James Widdoes. Everbody elese except Erika Elkeniak and Justin Whalin started in 1987 and went until the series end in 1990. Charles (Scott Baio) is a college student, who is in charge of the Powells and at at least one other family in the whole series run. And his best friend is Buddy Lembeck (Willie Aames) who is aslo a college student. The Powells are Walter (James T. Callahan), Sara (Josie Davis), Jaime (Nicole Eggert), Ellen (Sandra Kerns), and Adam (Alexander Polinsky). Ellen Travolta came in 1987 playing Charles' mom Lillian who even buys her son's favorite hang out place, Sid's pizzeria. Tv Land please add this show to your line up. If you have never watched this series please watch you will not be sorry. 10/10