IMDb > Trading Places (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 11 of 15: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

How funny is this movie

Author: Nina Rosenfeld
18 March 2004

I had watched once when I was little but what a joy to see it again. The cast is brilliant and carry this film so well. It is silly at times but the fun they had making it shows.

What I find amazing is how bizarre some of the scenes are, there is a corporate Christmas party, gorilla rape, eddy swallowing a joint... It is full of stereotypes (the butler with the heart of gold, the evil brothers...) but again it works and is fun to watch and please lets not forget Jamie Lee Curtis getting naked. Twice (!). I have to get on DVD that is for sure.

Great story of rags to riches....

Author: Chad Castorina from United States
23 September 2003

This is a great story. The Duke brothers make their traditional bet "$1.00" to see how a homeless man (played by Eddie Murphy) can take a high profile commodities broker position and be sucessful at it while they take the position away from Louis Winthorpe III (played by Dan Aykroyd) and make his life a complete disaster. Jamie Lee Curtis also stars in this all-star lineup. I would recommend getting this movie, Beverly Hills Cop and 48HRS which are Eddie Murphy's 3 best movies of his career. - Chad Castorina

One of the best ever ... but one major flaw.

Author: Gregory Casaus (gregory_casaus@yahoo.com) from California
4 January 2003

This is absolutely one of my all-time favorite movies. The direction is superb, the acting, absolutely perfect. It rides the edge by tugging on social issues. I see this movie every time it comes on (and it comes on often), and even rent it on occasion with friends who have not yet seen it. But there is one huge flaw with the movie.... the guy grabbing a jacket after Billy Ray's party, doesn't know what to do with it - it's obviously either a woman's jacket, or Don Kings - and just submits to keeping it. But there's one fundamental issue that bothers me each time I watch this. Anyone care to guess what I think it is? Other than this one issue, Trading Places is a superb movie.

Now this is comedy!

Author: revival05 from Sweden
19 April 2000

This movie was very entertaining. I would say that it would get 6 out of 10 if it wasn't because of the super-funny scene in the train. ''I AM FROM KAMERUN! AAAAAA WAIOAAAAH'' I couldn't stop laugh. I burst just thinking about it. Without a doubt one of the funniest scenes in hollywood-history.

Akroyd and Curtis are good but Murphy saves every scene he is in. Watch out for Yoda, or should I say Frank Oz, as a mean, corrupt cop. Well, well, well. Watch this movie. The train-scene makes this movie a very funny movie.

Dukes steal the show but its the one liners that stay with you

Author: torsacis
22 December 1999

Cracking movie. Some of the best one liners you'll ever hear. Murphy is amazing as is Ackroyd but the show is stolen by Ameche and Bellamy as the twisted Duke brothers who make the bet for a dollar to switch them. Fair enough, its a play on the old prince and the pauper theme, but it works and is amusingly done. Best scene: the ridiculous characters on the train with Ackroyd made up as an African. Best line: (Ackroyd after a night in the cells), I smell. Penelope, do you realise where I've been. They beat me up, and stole my clothes. THOSE MEN WANTED TO HAVE SEX WITH ME!!!"

This film's fantastic!

Author: Beat Processor from Ohio
8 December 1999

Trading Places joins The Blues Brothers, A Fish Called Wanda, and Back to the Future as the top comedies that came out of the 80's. No review needed, just a VCR, a TV, and about 2 hours to fully enjoy this classic film.

The entire movie is a complete riot!

Author: Rosemea D.S. MacPherson from US
18 November 1999

Two wealthy men "Randolph Duke" Ralph Bellamy (Pretty Woman, Oh, God!) and "Mortimer Duke" Don Ameche(Cocoon, Gidget Gets Married) bet one dollar in a "scientific experiment." The experiment: to turn a begger "Billy Ray Valentine," Eddie Murphy (48 Hours,The Nutty Professor), into a successful and wealthy person. They turn a rich person, "Louis Winthorpe III" Dan Aykroyd (Driving Miss Daisy,My Fellow Americans), into a homeless, jobless, pennyless, friendless, foodless, hopeless, girlfriend -less, credit card- less, fashionable-less, club-less, perfume-less, and many other "lesses" you can come up with person. He became the type of person who has to hang out with low lives and a prostitute,"Ophelia" played by Jamie Lee Curtis (A Fish Called Wanda, Nicholas' Gift). The premise of the movie is: a Harvard educated man will commit a crime without his friends and his safe environment. Louis Winthorpe III, became full of anger, rage, and could not comprehend what had he done wrong. In the mean time Billy Ray is suspicious, and even broke a beautiful vase that cost thirty-five thousand dollars, just to see if it really belonged to him.

After that he began treasuring his possessions, and showed much intelligence. Well, he was a smart beggar, who also pretended to be crippled who got healed and started "praising the Lord," soon after cops made him walk! What a funny scene! The entire movie is a complete riot! It is full of laughter, has a lot of funny lines, and is a totally satisfying experience. I love the movie. As those SNL guys always stick together in real life, they did in the movie also, Billy Ray and Louis Winthorpe, what a pompous name, ganged up to destroy the two old snobs and they did so very successfully! The music in this movie gives an atmosphere of wealth. The butler "Coleman" Denholm Elliott (September, A Room with a View) adds a regal touch to the movie. My favorite scenes: Billy Ray Valentine getting healed. The Jacuzzi scene. I think that this one of my favorite characters that Eddie Murphy played outside of his "Saturday Night Live" characters. He is talented. It seems that all that Billy Ray Valentine does makes me laugh, starting out with his name. Sounds like the name of a liquor! My Favorite Quotes: Coleman: "It's a whirlpool bath, Sir. I think you'll enjoy it." Billy Ray: "Hey! This is all right! When I was a kid, we wanted bubbles, we had....!" You will have to finish reading this sentence, under "quotes". Just click QUOTES on your left. It is there! I promise! I watched this movie when it came out the Jacuzzi scene and the quote I never forgot. The movie was nominated for Oscars, Golden Globe, British Academy Awards, and also won several awards, which were all well deserved. I definitely recommend it!

Now this is comedy!

Author: uffe-5
27 August 1999

This movie was very entertaining. I would say that it would get 3 out of 5 if it wasn't because of the super-funny scene in the train. ''I AM FROM KAMERUN! AAAAAA WAIOAAAAH'' I couldn't stop laugh. I burst just thinking about it. Without a doubt one of the funniest scenes in hollywood-history.

One of the Best

Author: Robbie-23 from Southampton, England
18 March 1999

This is by far, one of the best and funniest films you will ever see. It takes you back to the days when Eddie Murphy was by far a class act. I definitely recommend this film to anyone that has a quiet afternoon free and could do with a good laugh, you'll love it.

Murphy at his best

Author: Nikolaos Bousios from Kalmar, Sweden
8 February 1999

One of the funniest movies ever. Eddy Murphy has never been funnier, he is at his highest level reaching some performances on the Saturday night live show. I think it's the first time I thought of the stockmarket as a funny business. The Duke and Duke do a nice comeback in Coming to America (also Eddy Murphy).

Page 11 of 15: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]