IMDb > Tiger Town (1983) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Tiger Town (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Return To A "Simpler" Time

Author: John T. Ryan (redryan64@hotmail.com) from United States
1 August 2014

IF OUR MEMORY serves us well, this came out about the same time as did Barry Levinson's THE NATURAL. There are some parallels, but each picture follows a different path to a satisfactory conclusion.

IN THE CASE of the Robert Redford vehicle, the story revolves around a 35 year old rookie, who has been given one last chance to make good with his God given talents. On the other hand, TIGER TOWN addresses itself to aging in sport and doing so gracefully. It carefully puts the subject, Detroit Tigers' star player (Roy Scheider)under a cinematic microscope, exposing both on and off field problems.

FURTHERMORE, IT SHOWS us how the devotion and care of a young fan can make a difference. Although the two never actually meet, there is definitely a spiritual and intellectual connection. The young kid is a fan who is always pulling for the struggling outfielder, wishing the best for his Baseball hero.

WITHOUT BEING OBVIOUS and heavy handed, the story is telling us that the kid is praying for the Ballplayer and is seeing how aid is coming to the old, grizzled veteran.

NOW, YOU CAN call me quaint, old-fashioned or whatever, but that's how we see it. In this 'modernm' age of secularism, such beliefs are relegated to all of us "simpletons" who, according to our current Chief Executive of the USA, cling to our Bibles and Guns.

THE STORY PORTRAYED in this Disney Television Production concludes with the Ballplayer's being successful and instinctively acknowledging the kid, who is sitting in the crowded stands at old Tiger Stadium; although the two have never met.

IN A WORD, it's the Power of Prayer manifested and retold anew.

Awesome

Author: jelloshot0808-1 from United States
4 November 2009

When ever I think of my father (passed in 1997) I think of this movie.

He was a huge Tigers fan and the only time I ever saw him cry was in 1984 after the Tigers won the World Series.

I think this movie was awesome.

Made me hate the Cardinals even more when they neat the Tigers in the WS in 2007.

I heard a rumor they were thinking about remaking the movie a few years before Roy died.

They wanted him to be the young baseball fan's father.

This is one of a few movies I wish they would remake.

The original would still rule, but I would go see the remake.

Great Detroit movie

Author: captainandcokeasap from United States
25 July 2006

I love this movie for a few reasons. First it was about the slumping Tigers and this was in 1983. If you remember, the Tigers won the series in 1984. Second, the fact that it casts Ernie Harwell, Ray Lane, and Sparky Anderson. Now that Comerica Park is built, Tiger Stadium stands sadly wilting away a few blocks away. This movie now reminds me of what it used to be like to watch a game at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull. From the Bismarck brand vendors to the right field upper deck that hung over the warning track. I loved Tiger Stadium. This movie has a good plot but the rest of the Tiger surroundings are what make it special.