IMDb > Table for Five (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Table for Five

Table for Five More at IMDbPro »

Wonderful, heartfelt movie about families and love!

Author: Enrique Sanchez from Miami, FL
3 April 2001

This is one of my favorite movies. I saw it years ago when it first came out.

So many scenes and feelings from it have lingered on with me to this day.

Jon Voight gives us one of his most magical performances. It is such a shame we don't see him as much as we once did. This is an actor who you can live through every emotion...and you know it is genuinely felt without ever falling below a level of human tenderness into anything less.

I was particularly captivated by Marie-Christine Barrault and Roxana Zal's performances. Robby Keger always made me smile - he played his character with such joy and love. Son Huang Bui did not have enough to do but you could see that he might have done well with an expanded part.

Richard Crenna and Millie Perkins contributed their wonderful range to round out this wonderful cast.

I recommend this to anyone, without reservation.

My Favorite Jon Voight Movie

Author: Keetoo from Las Vegas, Nevada
16 May 2005

If you've never seen, or even heard of this movie before you must give it a chance. I saw this movie when it was new and I have never forgotten how it touched me. It is a little dated now, but you forget when you get into the characters and the plot of the story. Without spoiling anything I must say that there is one scene where Mr. Voight absolutely rivets you to your seat with emotion and it is very memorable. Gets me every time. Richard Crenna has a most difficult role as the husband of Jon Voight's ex-wife. You want to keep your sympathy with Voight, but you understand Crenna's point of view as well.. I am not aware if Mr. Voight was ever nominated for any award from his performance this picture, but if not he surly should have been. This is my favorite Jon Voight movie!

Incredible Jon Voigt in a Truly Heart Moving Tale

Author: Orson5 from Woodstock, NY
7 May 2001

You'll miss the point if you dismiss this as another Lifetime soaper. There is authentic truth, feeling and heart in this film if you watch it from the top and stick with it. Table for Five is an intelligently paced and structured story both men and women will relate to. A failed divorced father (Jon Voight) has been replaced in the lives of his ex-wife and children by a more well-heeled step dad (Richard Crenna). The biological father (Voight) is allowed to take a two week Mediterranean cruise with his three pre-adolescent kids - the first time he's spent an extended period with them in four years. His failings as a father soon become apparent days into the cruise, but tragic events transpire that challenge him to ante up for his kids in ways he could never emotionally risk before.

A powerful film about fathering, Table for Five contains two of the ten best hours of Jon Voigt ever released on film - an outstandingly nuanced performance. The kids, especially Roxana Zal and Robbie Kiger are precociously honest actors. And dig the talent on the other side of the lens. Vilmos Zsigmond (Deer Hunter etc) is director of photography, Michael Kahn (editor on almost all Spielberg pix since Close Encounters) did the cut. The screenplay by David Seltzer (Lucas) gives the actors and the audience everything they could want from each character. Robert Leiberman's patient blocking and direction allows all the principal actors time to develop each scene. Professional all the way. A 9.5 out of 10, with only a half point deducted for a few somewhat slick TV-ish shortcuts in the production and a hammy helicopter dolly up. But, make no mistake. This one is not to be missed. Enjoy!

The title does not fit this interesting character story of family love.

Author: bettiem from United States
8 July 2003

John Voigt is at his best in his role as a divorced Father who all but abandoned his children. A lovely Mediterranean cruise is a short reunion but fate enters the story. The children are excellent actors and Richard Crenna as the stepfather married to John Voigt's ex wife plays a sympathetic role. A part time girlfriend of Voigt's fills out this character study of people in crises trying to handle it well.

It is a touching, well crafted and well acted movie and not dated at all in spite of l983 production. I give it an 8.

A Father Trying To Find His Way!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
17 February 2015

Table for Five is a sweet, nuanced melodrama that flies under the radar and offers a heartfelt depiction of a man who is trying to set his life straight in the eyes of his children. Some people may dismiss this film as another Lifetime film, while others may find this to be a moving tear-jerker. I seem to be in the latter category. The film is edited and written well, thus making for a good, intelligent film.

This film is about a father named J.P who is seen more as the friendly uncle. In order to change that view, he gets the permission from his ex- wife to take his three kids on a Mediterranean cruise where he finds out if this will be the best thing to happen to him.....or the worst thing to happen to him.

Jon Voight delivers a heartfelt performance as J.P as the father who means well, but doesn't live up to expectations of his family. Richard Crenna delivers a good performance as J.P ex-wife's new husband. I also like the performances out of the children whom as first-time actors, were actually worth rooting for.

Overall, Table for Five may not be the best drama film you'll see, but it still is a powerful piece of work that rings a true message about change and love. Like the movie itself, all the performances are heartfelt and meaningful. This may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's certainly a film that flew under the radar and one that needs to go over the radar.

My Grade: A-

Powerful life lesson at the pyramid scene

Author: from United States
9 May 2006

I enjoyed this movie overall. It took a while to really get into the flow of the story but it represented well what absent parents endure as children become distant and alienated. Especially if you've ever been unfortunate enough to experience a heartbreaking divorce you should pay close attention to the pyramid scene where John Voight speaks to the children about what causes families to break apart. And if you've also lost regular contact with your kids the pyramid scene as well as several other scenes will likely bring tears to your eyes. But it's not all about sadness and a broken home; it's also about how one can restore relationships through determination and should never give up hope.

Tear jerker even after 20 plus years!

Author: jrails from United States
9 May 2005

I first saw this movie when I was 15, and just saw it again over 20 years later. The movie still resonates with me after all this time. Children of a divorce who are trying to get to know their distant parent, and parents trying to get to know their children can appreciate the emotions each character is going through. I can also appreciate that the father is trying to be a good father but doesn't know how. His intentions are well meaning. The relationships between he and his children are realistic.

For those of you who rent from Netflix and read that the co-star is Kevin Costner, you will either be disappointed or happy to see that he has only an extra part, barely recognizable today! I recommend this as a good family film, especially for divorced families.

Poignant, excellently written and well-acted family drama.

Author: anonymous from Los Angeles, CA
14 December 1998

While this may not initially seem like a movie that would draw audiences (the one liner/high concept of an absentee divorced father left to care for his children after his ex-wife is tragically killed sounds like a downer), the versatile David Seltzer has written a poignant, compelling, dynamic and very real film.

Everything about the film seems credible and Voight really turns in a fantastic performance, as does the supporting cast.

Good Movie But too Long..

Author: MsBoomBastic from Blytheville, AR USA
10 October 2003

I liked the way this movie showed a father's love. And the kids were great actors, It showed Jon Voight in his good looking days and the countries that they went to were awesome. But no offense but the movie is a little bit two long and it might want to make you want to watch something else.. I had to watch it in 2 parts on Showtime.. but it is a good movie nonetheless. and the ending? well i'm not going to spoil it for you but you have to see for yourself why i comment on it so. my rating for this movie I give it a 6.. it would have gotten an 8 but it is kind of slow..