IMDb > Strange Brew (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Adventures of Bob & Doug McKenzie: Strange Brew

Strange Brew More at IMDbPro »The Adventures of Bob & Doug McKenzie: Strange Brew (original title)

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

It's a Jelly...

Author: Thor Uranis from Detroit
15 June 2002

"How's it goin', eh". Those of us blessed to live within the TV reception area of the Canadian Broadcasting Company (CBC) had been privy to Bob & Doug on SCTV long before this movie was released. The running gag on SCTV was that Bob & Doug wandered into the studio one day, the star of a live talkshow was absent and the station manager threw the brothers on stage to fill the dead air. They were a hit and soon were given their own show-within-a-show called "The Great White North". In short order they demanded star treatment as they understood it and soon the stage was surrounded by cases of beer, boxes of donuts and the guys had a campstove to cook Canadian bacon on. Classic. Each show they would have their 'topic of the day' and discuss important issues like 'snow routes', bottled beer verus canned and other things Canadian. You just can't help but love these innocent buffoons. This was the basis of Strangebrew. As silly comedies go, this one is a benchmark. No swearing, hilariously cheesy effects and bathroom humor that is actually funny and not disgusting (see American Pie if you want disgusting). What amazes me is that EVERY single scene with Bob & Doug is funny. Some scenes are truly classic. The dialogue and nuance of this film is so easy to imitate you'll find yourself doing it with friends who have also shared this gem of a film and laughing yourself silly. ("Did you see the way she was looking at me...") See this film, you'll thank me, eh.

This is my favorite move of all time

Author: treelineresiding from Detroit
25 May 2004

I don't see how anyone can dislike this movie. It is laugh out loud fun from beginning to end and there is not a single scene that is not hilarious. This team sure shows what a positive affect alcohol has on Canadian comedians. I would have to say this is the best movie ever made and I give it an A++ for effort, hilarity, and genius, eh. The reason it is so great is that it is incomparable to any other movie of its comedy genre. It is a journey into the world of two brothers who have never been apart, and their adventures. While trying to get beer for their father, they stumble upon Elsinore Brewery, and get jobs checking for rodents in the bottles. While there, they discover some strange things are happening at the brewery. It is a must see for all ages.

One of the best comedies out there!

Author: Chromium_5 from Minnesota
30 September 2004

I love this movie so much, I even have a poster of it hanging on my door, eh! I first viewed it in my eighth grade geometry class (where we never did anything but watch movies--this class also introduced me to classics such as "Back to the Future" and "Little Shop of Horrors").

This is from the peak of the so-stupid-it's-funny era of comedy (which is starting to become popular again, only this time around it's just not funny), and it may very well be the best of them all, even better than "Airplane!". It's one of those beautiful comedies where all the jokes are incredibly stupid and incredibly smart at the same time. The courtroom scene and the "death" scene rate as two of the funniest moments in comedy history, in my opinion.

Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas have perfect chemistry together, too. The stupid bickering between Bob and Doug is hilarious (I love it when they have to go in separate directions for the first time in their life). If you haven't seen this, I cannot recommend it enough.

9/10 stars. Now take off, eh!

A cult classic!

Author: Apostle from Portland, OR
18 January 2003

I have to take exception to imdb user "dwpoller" who touts this movie as being "one of the most un-funny 1 1/2 hour stretches" of a movie. Having never seen the SCTV skit until after the movie's release, I found myself rolling on the floor at the Canadian stereotypes from hell, known simply as the MacKenzie Brothers. Being 1/2 Canadian myself, I never once felt offended by the somewhat negative stereotypes. (i.e. ice hockey watching, doughnut slamming, beer swilling half wits.) But rather, I was able to laugh at myself and my other Canadian bretheren through this VERY FUNNY movie.

OK, ok. So it didn't win any major awards, nor should it have. "Strange Brew" is not that kind of movie. You have to know going in that this is not Academy award winning materiel. Oh, and guys, don't bring the wives in to watch this either, they won't get it. (For the same reason they don't get the Three Stooges) You just can't explain why it's so funny, it just is.

3 1/2 stars out of 5.

Beauty movie eh?

Author: (chvylvr80@aol.com) from Northridge, California
22 July 2003

Strange Brew rules. Those who have not seen the film must see it immediately or remain ignorant like the rest of the human filth. Strange Brew is yet again one of those movies that I have been watching since I was a kid and it has not lost any of it's charm. Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis have come up with two great characters in the McKenzie Brothers. Not too bright and surviving on donuts and beer, the film follows the McKenzies as they get a job at a brewery to get free beer and in the process stop a world takeover by power mad Brewmeister Smith. This flick doesn't really have much in the way of plot or acting or effects or anything that usually makes a movie great. It doesn't need all that though because just having Bob and Doug onscreen is worth the price of admission or in this case the DVD. Just watching Bob and Doug attempt to function is funny enough. I heard that Moranis and Thomas were working on a sequel and were just getting ready to film when the financing fell through. That really sucks and I hope that they can bring Bob and Doug back to the screen before they get too old to play them. Bottom Line: This movie is a must have. It's great, deal with it, buy it and then look at Canada (The Great White North) in a different light.

For all you hosers, this movie is awesome, eh?

Author: Eric from Milwaukee, WI
29 January 2004

If you love stupid comedy this movie is DEFINITELY for you! Animal House, Super Troopers, & The Blues Brothers. If you liked these movies you'll love Strange Brew. It's classic! A MUST SEE!!! Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas make an awesome team of crazy Canadian brothers, or should I say "hosers", eh? The plotline is kinda sketchy, but then again, the movie isn't exactly made for a great plotline. It's made for the comedy. Made in 1983 and it still kicks some royal butt! So sit back and enjoy as the two "hosers" bumble their way to some crazy times!

A Classic

Author: Andrew from Canada
7 January 2004

This movie was amazing, you have to like SCTV to understand the humor. This movie is fully of stereo-typical canadian humor, but that's why it's good. It's stupid humor at it's finest. A true classic. This is a must see movie for people who like: Beer, back bacon (or to you non-canadians, Canadian Bacon), Flying dogs, murders, or just bob and Doug McKenzie. This is the movie for you

You hoser, this movies over 10 years old.

Author: cobitt from NY, NY
13 September 2006

Let's break this down into the "positive" and "potentially negative if you're a glass is half empty type"

"Potentially negative if you're a glass is half empty type"

- Perceived length - First of all let me just say, I can't believe that the run-time of this movie is only 90 minutes. If you sit down to watch it, you'll swear it was 2 ½ hours long.

- Overall quality - The budget looks pretty slim.

- Fart jokes - If you hate the stupidity of Beavis and Butthead you'll hate Bob and Doug.

- Soundtrack - Horrible theme song, absolutely horrible.

"Positive"

- Perceived length - You'll swear the movie is 2 ½ hours long. There is so much going on and the plot is so intricate, albeit borrowed. It ends up feeling like about 4 different movies combined into one.

- Brotherhood hilarity - This perfectly captures the interactions of young siblings and/or close friends, especially the larger and smaller dynamic. I mean come on, who has never been "steamrolled" as a child?

- Beer drinking - If you want something to make drinking beer seem more exciting, watch this movie. For an added bonus, try the Strange Brew drinking game while watching the movie.

- Repeat watchings – As with any favorite movie, Strange Brew lends itself to repeated watchings where subtleties and nuances that were previously overlooked can now be enjoyed. Strange Brew continues to grow on you the more times you watch it.

The positives could go on and on. Watch it yourself and see. Watch it all at once. Watch it in pieces. Watch it!!!!

It's a real 'Cult Classic', eh?

Author: potsy32 from Danvers, Mass
17 February 2003

Much like Tremors, and Rocky Horror, some people Love this film, some people Hate this film, the rest haven't seen it yet. If it doesn't strike a cord with you you are not alive. I personally, am one of the lucky few who think this film is fantastic, and even have a whole group of friends who agree! Remember, you have to be in the right mindset to watch this. Rent Canadian Bacon, and Slap Shot first, and you should be primed for the 'coup de gras' with this classic flick (little french-canadian for you there, eh). -Shawn

Before Wayne and Garth, there was Bob and Dog McKenzie.

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
13 May 2005

"Strange Brew" is a spin-off of the Bob and Doug McKenzie shorts on Canada's export "SCTV" (which started in the early '80s on US television and won some awards). This movie is very much low budget and doesn't concern itself with continuity or much of a plot either -- it's a retread of "Hamlet" (that's right!) and one William Shakespeare even gets a co-writing credit.

Anyway, the film is not by any means a masterpiece but it's amusing in a so-bad-it's-good kind of way. (And incidentally this was purposefully bad, and Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas -- who directed and wrote it -- make no effort to conceal this.) The best part is actually the beginning when Bob and Doug reveal their movie about a man who survives the holocaust and wonders the earth in search of beer. I've rarely laughed so hard. "Pss, act!" is one of the funniest lines in cinema history.

After that it goes downhill but remains entertaining... Bob and Doug become embroiled in a plot by mad scientist Mad Von Sydow, who wants to take over the world and all the other stuff mad scientists like to do.

I've never seen such a pieced-together, fragmented movie in all my life. A number of scenes pay nothing to the film whatsoever. One hockey game sequence goes on for about seven minutes and doesn't really have anything to do with... well... anything! On top of that, characters come and go and disappear without mention again -- towards the end of the film, one of the bad guys gets his comeuppance, but the film doesn't even reveal how! Also the woman playing the ex-brewster's daughter is supposed to be about 21 but she's clearly in her mid to late thirties... and at one point her birthdate is revealed in the film, and according to the date of the film, it places her at a much older age... so evidently Moranis and Thomas didn't really care at all about trying to convince audiences of anything with this film.

And it's better that way. This is a really smug and self-knowing comedy, but in a good way. It's light-hearted and doesn't take itself seriously. Even during the end credits, Bob and Doug give their film a review and mention its plot weaknesses, but claim it's just good family fun and worth five bucks, and I agree. On an aside note I will have to say that the film's best sequences are those in which Bob and Doug are actually hosting their show, and sometimes I wonder if that would have made a better 90 minutes than attempting to come up with a half-a$$ed plot. But oh well, it's still pretty funny and amusing as it is.

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]