IMDb > Sleepaway Camp (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sleepaway Camp

Sleepaway Camp More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 31: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

A nice way to waste an hour and a half...

Author: (ep.com@t-online.de) from Germany
2 October 2002

Ok, this is quite your ordinary, typical 80s slasher fare, but it's fun and entertaining nonetheless. The last 5 or so minutes are just great and I won't even dream of spoiling the ending for you (you probably know it by now anyway, if not DON'T READ ANYTHING ABOUT THIS MOVIE BEFORE YOU'VE SEEN IT ! Giving the ending away really ruins the fun of watching this...). "Sleepaway Camp" also features some impressive special effects by Ed French, who did some really cool stuff with what must have been very little money. Worth a look, I'd say...

I like it.

Author: valens-69 from New York
24 August 2002

Some people love Sleepaway Camp while some hate it.

I don't think it's a Friday The 13th rip-off like some say, sure it has a camp setting but it has a style of it's own.

The setting is Camp Arawack where the kids are hoping for a summer of fun, but of course things don't go as planned.

The kids and the crew at the camp begin to die in horrible accidents but they soon discover somebody has turned their summer of fun into a nightmare.

It doesn't take too much to figure out who the killer is.

Watch for Angela's(Felissa Rose) secret.

A truly great ending unlike any of i have seen in the horror genre or any other for that matter.

Writer/Director Robert Hiltzik does a decent job, the problem is the movie takes it self too serious. You will find yourself laughing at a few scenes that aren't meant too be funny but scary/

But with that said give the movie a check, but it's nowhere near as good as the sequels.

I give Sleepaway Camp 6/10

I'll never get that image out of my head...

Author: Cowman (cowman777@hotmail.com) from The Mitten State, USA
24 August 2002

Wow...

What an excellent movie this was! Sure, the acting is (for the most part) atrocious, the plot is standard and predictable, and the special effects are sub-par... But the genuinely horrifying ending succeeds in canceling all of the movie's badness out. In fact, the contrast of the amazingly disturbing ending with the rest of the amazingly hokey film helps add to the shock. It is COMPLETELY unexpected. The closing shot will stay with you forever. Don't watch this one alone!

SHOCKING BUT GREAT

Author: Jacob Young from Lynn Haven, Florida
22 May 2002

Sleepaway Camp not only had one of the most shocking endings in history,but it was also a terrific movie.Felissa Rose is 33 years old now,and I know that by doing the math when I saw her at the internet movie database.She has made many more movies,all in the year 2002.I have seen many websites on her,and she even has an e-mail address.No,I don't know what it is,but I'm sure you can find out if you search her on yahoo.For a while I was wondering where Felissa Rose was and what she is doing nowadays.Eventually I found many websites on her and I will say she is not only grown up,but she is happily married and is looking forward to working with the director of the original Sleepaway Camp.Return To Sleepaway Camp aka Sleepaway Camp 4 is due out sometime this year.Guess who plays Angela?Felissa!!!One more thing about Felissa,as you will probaly eventually find out yourself,Rose is not her real last name.It is Esposito.Of all the horror movies I've seen I think Sleepaway Camp is a great one.I think the ending threw everyone off pretty much.I certainly did'nt expect it the first time I saw it.I think everyone knows the plot.The sequel was great with Bruce Springsteen's sister Pamela Springsteen starring as Angela.See Sleepaway Camp 2 and 3,you'll be glad you did! Jacob Young

OH MY GOD

Author: nicole3699 from Carmel, NY
1 March 2002

I had read many reviews of this movie on IMDB, most of them were pretty good, and I was curious of this "shocking ending". Well, finding it wasn't too easy. My local Blockbuster didn't have it, so I had to buy it through a used VHS dealer through Amazon.com. The price was $4.25 (not much more than a rental) so I said, alright, I'll do it.

The movie came in the mail a week later, and that same night I watched it.

Boy oh, boy what a nostalgia kick. I grew up during this time, and had a great laugh over the fashions of the day.

Most of the movie is campy B rated slasher fare, not really scary. Now I know that this is not an Academy Award contender by far, but I do have some criticisms:

***SPOLIERS AHEAD***

What is it with the cop and the cheesy mustache? He shows up, in the beginning of the movie with it. Then later he comes back with BLACK DUCT TAPE above his lip. And they have close ups of it too!!! What's the problem, I know they had a tight budget, but they couldn't afford five bucks for a fake mustache??

Now to the ending; Yes it was shocking I suppose. But it needed at least five more minutes after that, to wrap up the story. And in answer to someone else's previous comment, it was not a computer generated image of Angela's head on a guy's body. It was a plaster mold of Angela's face made into a mask that the guy wore. (I learned this from the movie's website.) Also, the sounds he/she makes are bizarre.

My friend kidding around watching it with us at the end said, "What the hell?" Then jokingly said we traumatized him, because he didn't want to see another guy's plumbing, and the end reminded him of The Crying Game.

I suppose it is worth watching, for a good laugh.

Bad movie, good ending

Author: MessedupJames (messedupjames@yahoo.com) from Right behind you
18 February 2002

I just watched this last night at about 2:00 in the morning... after the ending I had to sleep with the TV on. I warn you about the last 2 minutes, they will freak the freak out of you. Rest of the movie is your average, sucky horror movie.

One of the worst movies EVER

Author: davidmccollum
12 January 2002

Don't believe the hype, this movie really sucks. Bad acting, even worse dialog, and a "shock" ending that is only disturbing if you're only accustomed to watching typical mainstream fluff. Only rent it if you want to waste your money and your time.

Mission Accomplished...

Author: bh606644 from austin, tx
12 December 2001

...if the director of this movie's mission was to implant the absolute most horrific image in my head for god knows how long. Wow, and I didn't really believe my wife (who saw this movie on cable back in the 80's) when she told me the ending was either gonna entirely freak me out or disgust me beyond compare. She was right on both counts. Otherwise my opinion pretty much falls in line with everyone else's: cheesy teen camp slasher........until the end.

Uuuuuuuugggggggghhhhhhhhhh!

this is surprisingly better then Friday the 13th!

Author: eiffel1988221443-2
3 September 2001

I just bought and saw this movie today and knew i would enjoy it and I did! It stars Felissa Rose as a shy young girl named Angela, her father and brother were both killed in a boat accident and she has been living with her Aunt Martha and cousin Ricky for 8 years. Angela and Ricky go to Camp Arawak. People start to pick on Angela because she is shy and hardly talks. Especially Meg and Judy. Then the perverted cook is burned and almost killed, the camp owner Mel labels it an accident and nothing more. But then a boy is drowned in the lake. Ricky's friend Paul and Angela fall in love, and Judy is really p***ed about it. And more bodies start dropping. Who could it be?? This is sort of a rip off of Friday the 13th, i like Friday the 13th but in my opinion Sleepaway Camp is much better, because its more then just a slasher with a high bodycount and some gore, there is a cute little love thing between Angela and Paul, and there is drama and mystery involved. In Friday the 13th everyone knows who the killer is now days, but Sleepaway Camp is not as well known as it should be and the revealing of the killer is really surprising and shocking and it is one of the best horror endings ever! Any true horror slasher fan should buy this movie and enjoy!

Great campy horror flick, BEST ENDING

Author: bebe22 from Wisconsin
26 August 2001

"Sleepaway Camp" is a cheesy horror movie, but it's actually good. People have claimed that it is a rip off of the "Friday the 13th" movies, but I don't really see any connection between the films, except for they're both at camp. If you really do not want to see this movie, just see it for the ending. It's hilarious and shocking and horrible all at the same time. Two thumbs up.