IMDb > Sleepaway Camp (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sleepaway Camp

Sleepaway Camp More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 31: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

Sleepaway Camp

Author: allgood-2 (allgood@naxs.net) from Va
29 December 1999

I think that "Sleepaway Camp" is an excellent horror movie that lives up to it's genre. It's scary and full of gore. Even though this film and the sequels kind of copy "Friday the 13th", they are way better because they have unique killing methods, and not just some brainless idiot with running around with a mechette. And as for the mystery part, the killer is not at all difficult to guess but the ending will shock you right out of your seat! If you want to see this film, I hope you don't scare or puke easy, because this movie makes "Friday the 13th" look tame! I give it a 9!

Unpleasant originality

Author: Mackan-8 from Sala, Sweden
5 December 1999

"Sleepaway Camp"... it sounds pretty good. Another "Friday the 13th"-ripoff that I probably would like. I heard that it has a very special ending... unlike any other ending in movie history.

With these thoughts inside my head I bought and watched this movie. It begins with a camera moving (by day) over a deserted camp. A bit curious! Then we see a boat accident with two children and their father. The dad and one of the children dies. Suddenly it has gone eight years and we see a horrific woman that could scare everyone. She is the aunt of Angela, the child who survived, and she's sending her son and Angela to camp over summer. At the camp Angela is bullied by some people and soon those people turns up dead one after another. Who is the killer?

It's a standard horrorflick, but in comparison to "Friday"-movies this is really bad. It's so poorly done and extremely bad acted. I find myself hating almost every character. Some characters is totally dislikable with bad language and bizarre thoughts. It's a very unsettling atmosphere in the whole movie.

The ending is... different, but incredibly stupid at the same time. If it had been done more professional I would have liked the ending, but now it just makes the movie even more unpleasant.

Something makes the movie worth watching though, but what that is I don't know. Maybe the original unpleasantness also is the strength of the movie.

Rent This- If You Dare!

Author: Brian Cook from Ridgefield, CT
21 November 1999

A few friends and I rented this movie, expecting it to be horrible, but good for a few laughs. It lived up to our expectations and then some. It is one of the worst movies I have ever seen, with the acting so horrible, the plot so convoluted, the characters so stereotypical (like Mel the owner or Ronnie), the fashion so hilariously bad that one could not help but imagine how anyone, from the producers to the public, could actually think this was a good movie. The movie relies on gore more than anything, has little to no suspense, laughable serious dialogue, and an ending that will go down in infamy. If you see this movie, don't turn it off before the ending. A collage of bad foreshadowing, disturbing images, bad music, and a complete and total lack of logic make this ending THE STUPIDEST I have ever had the displeasure of watching. If you rent this movie, only do it to laugh at how bad it is, and how short the boys' shorts are. My review: negative a million stars.

This movie is so cool!!!! It's scary, corny, entertaining and old wrapped up into one flick!!!!

Author: Angela-37 from Bloomington, IN, USA
29 September 1999

This movie is so disgustingly awesome. Some of the people in it are so cool and other actors are so stupid and corny!!! Please see this movie. It all has 2 sequels, "Sleepaway Camp 2-Unhappy Campers", and Sleepaway Camp 3: Teenage Wasteland"!! They rock, also ~!!~ This film has one of the most awesome endings and the series has some of the most classical, original murder scenes and body counts of any movie! You won't be disappointed so go rent this movie!! It's so old it's probably at your local vid. store!!!!!!!

Sleepaway Camp - meant for die hard fans of the genre

Author: Sho Gun from tha East Coast
26 August 1999

Pure shock value. Two other movies spring to mind. Maniac and New York Ripper. All three are such dirty bottom of the barrel trash. I asked my sister one day if she thought the curling iron scene in Sleepaway Camp was more painful than the broken bottle scene in New York Ripper. She wouldn't give me an answer though. I'd have to go with the curling iron, OUCH! If you decide to watch it might as well fast forward to the ending. That is if you think you can stomach it.

0 stars out of 4

Well done movie

Author: Kevin rossignol (ogt@hwcn.org) from Burlington, Ont, Canada
23 August 1999

This movie was allot better then I expected. Except for some of the acting (kinda cheezie). Watch for the curling iron death scene, kinda weird. This movie also has the most MESSED up endings in any movie I have seen. It will shock you beyond belief, you'll rewind it a few times for sure just to make sure you saw it right. Good fun, rent it for the shock value Overall 7/10

Memorable schlock

Author: Ryan A. MacMichael (laze@laze.net) from Falls Church, VA
27 July 1999

Sleepaway Camp is neither the "the best..." or "the worst..." example of anything; rather, it serves as an interesting look at the 80's slasher genre from pretty early in the game.

Provided within are unique death scenes (the bees are good, though not as -- ahem -- solid as the outhouse death scene in part II), terribly stereotypical characters (Ricky = Italian mobster's kid, chef = fat, nasty pedophile, Angela = shy girl no one ever talked to), and a relatively surprising ending. The effects are decent, supplemented by a crew of pleasantly overacting relative-nobodies.

I originally saw this movie because my friend's uncle is the man who gets run-over by the boat in the beginning. But since then I've seen it probably seven or eight times. While there's nothing frightening about this movie, it doesn't go for the cheese factor that its two sequels do. It's a worthwhile entry in the campy, teen slasher genre: surprisingly enjoyable to watch a couple of times (especially with a group of like-minded fans) and notable for it's lack of T&A that the Friday the 13th series was known for.

What the.....?

Author: ScaryGuy
10 July 1999

Let me just say this first. I saw the two sequels before the original, so the ending was less shocking to me. It wasn't my fault! Blame Blockbuster! :) Anyways, to the actual movie. Rather standard horror flick. Creative death scenes and very stupid situations mix in this film. But since I'll always remember Pamela Springsteen as Angela, Felissa Rose didn't have much of an effect on me with her performance. But I do need to give her credit where it deserves. Just imagine how everybody treated her at school after watching that final scene. A few scenes could have been left out, such as when the two kids are watching their dad with another man in bed, and the skinny dipping. But otherwise a standard horror flick. Watch the sequels instead.

I love it!

Author: chica-17
4 July 1999

I swear this is one of the best movies I have ever seen! Maybe thats because I like the kinda movies at camp and funny jokes through it. The ending was the best. I usually spoil movies for people, but nu uh not this one. The last part of the movie will stay with you for the rest of your life. Rent it and buy it now!

Whoa!

Author: anonymous from Pittsburgh, PA
25 June 1999

When I saw this movie with my friends Megan and Carrie and wait...I forget if Kristy was there but anyhoo, when I saw it in Megan's basement we were sitting there eating Pengiun after Penguin (those are my favorite candies by the way) we had rented it at Blockbuster and we were so surprised by the ending!!!! We were like, whoa... I mean it was a completely cheezy horror flick- the acting was bad, the script was unnatural, and the plot had more holes than an old pair of socks yet something about the movie just makes you HAVE to keep watching until the end. You know what I mean, jelly bean? That mother was completely wacked out! I would be sad if that was my mother. I would probably run away. I was born the year that movie was made!