IMDb > Sahara (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Sahara More at IMDbPro »

Romantic and dreamy

Author: dapplegrey13 from United States
16 April 2007

Okay, so it's no Academy Award winner. The writing is poor, some of the movie is just plain silly, but there is a lot to enjoy.

I love the chemistry between the Brooke & Lambert Wilson... the seductive and emotional nature of their scenes together. Lambert Wilson takes my breath away! He did in 1983 when I first saw the film (okay, I'll admit -- a few times). I just finally found a copy recently and watched it again for the first time in 23 years or so, and he STILL takes my breath away! Brooke is beautiful and he is terribly handsome -- his face, his eyes, his voice -- he looks at her as if he's going to drink her. It's incredible. Mesmerizing. In my book, this is one of the sexiest movies ever (and without actually having any sex in it).

I looked up Lambert Wilson on IMDb and realized I didn't recognize him 20 years later in "Matrix Reloaded" or the newer "Sahara" (but it had been a long time -- the french accent and clean-shaven face threw me off). It looks like he's been working steadily in France all along, thank goodness. I'm thrilled to know he's been a success. I hope he'll do more American films. Oh, and the score was haunting. It added a lot to the film.

And one more thing: Brooke was practically a child when she did this film. I thought her acting was fine, especially considering her age and the poor script with which she had to work.

Lambert is mesmerizing!

Author: Babs-48 from New York
16 July 2000

I'm a pushover for the Saharan setting, but discovering Lambert Wilson was the best surprise. He made the whole movie. His eyes, voice, stature......just wonderful. I liked the adventure of the movie.......much like the Great American Race.

Racing and romance in the Sahara

Author: aorban-1 from Canada
4 January 2006

Storyline very good and romantic, however at the time Brooke Sheilds appeared that she had never really made love with anyone before in real life, let alone in the movie. The cars and the race was very real as was the desert locales. I enjoyed the different characters portrayed as race drivers and how the race turned out. I wondered if the race was based on facts or not. The costumes were good and the dialog flowed well. Lambert Wilson was very believable in his role. The battle scenes were good and intense, not like those of today where they are very bloody or graphic, but still good. The scenes of the rescue of Brooke Sheilds by Lambert Wilson were on the edge of your seat and the ending where she returns to him is extremely romantic. I found it over all very entertaining.

a fine adventure film

Author: mischam76 from Australia
8 January 2005

i don't understand why this film has been given so much stick.it is a corny 1983 adventure like all the others in the eighties and does a good job as a film of it nature and genre. there's lots of cheese,granted,but isn't that what these kind of films are suppose to be full of? Brooke Shields looks absolutely stunning through out,and although her gender bending sequence was a bad idea,its not her fault.how can you make such a stunning woman pass for a man.the water fall scene makes up for it all though. Brooke's performance was fine,as were the performances of her co stars though nobody stands out.

this was a fun and enjoyable adventure film,just as it was made to be and deserves a lot more credit.

A beautiful romance movie!

Author: anslatadams from United States
27 February 2009

I loved this movie when it first came out. Lambert Wilson is so handsome in this movie, I like him better with facial hair! Those eyes, his lips his demeanor and stature, God he makes me hot!! LOL! And I'm 56 years old! LOL! But he can still stir up some hot feelings in me! What a talented actor!! I love his eyes in this movie and the music is so haunting. If you're a sucker for romance than this movie is for you! It has a gorgeous love scene it. Not tawdry, or nasty, just beautiful the way two people in love should look on camera. I wish more romance movies were made this way! I wish Lambert Wilson would seriously think about doing more American movies! I didn't realize he was in the "Matrix Reloaded" movie, because personally, I haven't watched any of them. Also I didn't know he had a major role in the recent "Sahara" movie in 2005!! Wow! Where have you been all my life Lambert, c'mon. Please start doing more American movies! We LOVE YOU!

And for you guys out there, Brooke's loves scenes are gorgeous, she's so beautiful and I think you guys would enjoy it!!:)

Excellent Movie-One of my mom's all time favorites

Author: adkelly123 from United States
31 July 2009

This is an awesome movie. I watched with my mom 1-2 times a month for over a decade. Then her VHS copy became worn out. I would love to find a copy on DVD for her and a 2nd one for me. I can't say enough good things about this movie. It is an action-packed, love story that appeals to people from a large range of demographics, from the teenage adventurer to the passionate housewife to the race fans and everyone in between. Everyone should find something intriguing about this movie. Lets get real. This is a love story wrapped around a car race across a desert. Shields' character pushes the envelope by challenging equality barriers for women in this region. This is truly an all-around fabulous movie.

Fun and adventure in the Sahara!

Author: dbellmyer from Texas
27 January 2006

This is a fun movie with a little bit of everything: romance, adventure, treachery, war, comedy...you name it. Fate brings an American girl (Brooke Shields) named Dale to the Sahara Desert, hoping to win the famous Sahara off-road race in a custom built car that her recently deceased father designed and put together. A tribal war breaks out in the desert, wreaking havoc with her plans. She is kidnapped by Rasoul (John Rhys-Davies),a warlord for the Shombara tribe, and then claimed by the ruler of the Shombara tribe, a handsome young sheik named Jaffar (Lambert Wilson). Sparks fly between Dale and Jaffar from the moment they meet, but can they overcome all the obstacles? This film has beautiful desert scenery, the gorgeous Brooke Shields, exotically handsome Lambert Wilson, and some great character actors like John Rhys-Davies, John Mills, and Horst Buchholz. Some of the action and adventure scenes are pretty exciting, especially when Jaffar has to rescue Dale from a pit full of leopards. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie; it's great fun!

Hey! I liked this movie!

Author: daisyduke8000 from NS, Canada
26 June 2003

It's a shame that everybody knocks this movie, because it really is good. Sure, it is cheesy in parts, but hey it's a 1983 Brooke Shields movie, what do you expect? The best way to describe this movie is probably that it is very much like a Harlequin romance in many ways. Brooke Shields gives a very good performance, as does movie veteran Sir John Mills. It seems with this movie you either like it or you don't. Personally, I liked it and do recommend it. So go ahead, get some junk food, and a friend who likes romance flicks, and watch it on a rainy day.

Surprisingly not as bad as the critics tolds us back in the 80's

Author: miguelangel-23 from fayetteville, North Carolina
25 December 2011

Today I watched this movie for the very first time. Back in the 80's this movie never made it to my home town, I guess because of the poor critics, and that was a shame because i really wanted to watch it, I had such a big crush on Brooke Shields during the early 80's. I knew that the movie was probably just a lame excuse to expose her sex appeal and popularity, and there were probably little to none substance in the movie it self. After reading the reviews I thought that this was probably a horrible fiasco of a movie I still wanted to watch it, but like i said I was never able until today. What a surprise... the movie is indeed not a big deal at all, but by far boring, it was rather entertaining, I mean not every piece of cinema has to be a master piece, but as long it is entertaining it will be alright, and this one it is alright. The rating is 4 out of 10, my self out of watching it and enjoying it and being able to watch again young Brooke in her prime it was worth it. I would give it a 5 out of 10.

Cheesy, but I couldn't turn the channel

Author: total_eclipse from United States
22 May 2010

Well, I caught this one on TV on a Saturday afternoon. I could've easily changed the channel but I'll tell you what kept me watching... the romance of the movie. There wasn't really anything else to "Sahara". The scenes of the desert people weren't very believable and neither was the race and it's outcome (which doesn't make sense but then again I've only seen it once). The most gripping elements of the movie were the romantic interludes between Dale and the Sheik, the rescue, and the final stretch of the race. The background music for the protagonist and her man was a little overplayed but still memorable. The fact that this was not a typical romance plot made this movie worth seeing.