Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
Page 9 of 58: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

A fitting conclusion to a masterful franchise

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
28 March 2013

After the technological innovation that was the original 1977 space opera Star Wars, and its convention-defying, unbelievably dark sequel The Empire Strikes Back, my expectations for the conclusion of the iconic franchise, Return of the Jedi, were soaring into galaxies far, far away. Not long after, I fell back to Earth somewhat wowed but considerably disappointed. Return of the Jedi is a solid end to the franchise, competent, alleviating, and without a doubt, intriguing, but simultaneously bland and underwhelming. To, yet again, quote Dante Hicks from the everlasting Clerks, "all Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets." Of course, that's a vast oversimplification of what the film really features, but it's not an inaccurate statement. The last thing I ever expected to call a Star Wars picture is artificial-looking, but it must be said. Occasionally, the film will have points of sheer beauty and marvellous technology. Consider the briskly-paced sequence where Luke and Leia race through the forestry, evading a slew of enemies closely on their tale. Yet, frequently, much of the film looks like it was shot on the backlots of studios where the presence of a fully-designed set was dually noted. The mystifying qualities about space's contents and other-worldly galaxies seems to have been traded for modestly-interesting scenes, confined to solid land mimicking that of a forest preserve. It looks good. Not beautiful.

The second issue comes when we spend much of the film either listening to Ewokese or dealing with the language's speakers, the Ewoks, which don't even seem to belong in a Star Wars. The past gangs of creatures we've had to see, whether it be the Jawas or the Ugnaughts, were at least interesting, mysterious creatures. The Ewoks possess a cute, cuddly, warm persona that feels alien (pun intended) to the world of Star Wars. Not to mention, they often feel like cute, cuddly distractions to the more interesting plot developments and set-ups we're dealing with here.

For example, the drama between Luke Skywalker (reprised by Mark Hamill) and his newfound father Darth Vader (voiced by James Earl Jones) would've been the perfect thing to predicate this entire film on, rather than more or less shifting it to the side so we can watch the gaggle of Ewoks interact with their own culture and the new humans placed in the middle of it.

Another thing I began to start to get frustrated at with The Empire Strikes Back is its focus on the cutesy relationship between Han Solo (Harrison Ford) and Leia (Carrie Fisher). There's really no surprise that there is a relationship in "the greatest franchise in history," but did it have to be this hesitant, restrained, and plodded out for three movies? Because both characters refuse to recognize their feelings strongly until the second movie, we get an abundance of joking dialog, senseless banter, and redundant little arguments between the two that easily become more obnoxiously spliced in than entertaining. This relationship either needed to not have begun or been greatly minimized here. Not shifted more towards the foreground.

However, I fear I'm making Return of the Jedi sound like the worst movie-going experience this side of the Millennium Falcon. There are still scenes of genuine ambition and prevalent imagination here, and the fact that George Lucas co-wrote this picture Empire writer Lawrence Kasdan gives more of the vibe that Lucas wrapped this story up the he wanted to. While Empire, my personal favorite of the original trilogy, benefited tremendously from Lucas' bravery in welcoming new talent to the film, it's nice to see the original pioneer, regardless of my opinions on him, finish what he started and finish it the way he wants it. I can respect that above all. Even the director at hand here, Richard Marquand, is given a nice range of variety, regardless of whether or not it's good variety. There is still a respectable amount of creativity and life in this project, despite its gradual inferiority to its predecessors.

The Star Wars films, as stated in my blog post before I finally sat down to watch them, formally stood as an annoying little blind spot in my rear-view that I was too lazy to wipe clean. When I finally did, I realized what I was missing. When you see this films in present day, there still is no lost wonder or the overwhelming feeling of datedness. It feels just as fresh, moving, and powerful as a thrilling sci-fi epic made in recent time. Return of the Jedi isn't necessarily the way I wanted the entire series to end (for, I would've rather had some more of the unrelenting darkness and bleak storytelling Empire used to its success), yet I simply can't bring myself to say I didn't like the film mainly because I feel that it's a pretty creative piece in and of itself. It's a fine movie that deserves its place in history, regardless of my opinion.

Starring: Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, and James Earl Jones (voice). Directed by: Richard Marquand.

The Saga Concludes

Author: Dan Collins from United Kingdom
13 February 2013

The epic 'Star Wars' trilogy ends with a bang.

After Luke and company rescues Han from an insanely powerful gang lord in one of the greatest openings of all time, the rebellion put together their plan to defeat the Empire once and for all. Our main characters go to the forest moon of Endor to deactivate the shield generator of a second Death Star where the Emperor himself is on, giving a chance for the rebel fleet to destroy it however the Emperor has plans for Luke and wishes to make him his apprentice.

The special effects and sets are, once again, fantastic. I've already praised them enough before so I won't bother repeating the same praise but expect the same attention to detail and high-quality found in the last two films. The action scenes are also very well done and epic, probably the most exciting battles in the entire series are in this movie. John Williams score is, as always, wonderful, and my personal favourite out of all the 'Star Wars' films.

However, what I don't like about this film are the Ewoks, the native race of the forest moon who help the rebels. I'm not going to get into the whole debate on the Empire's best soldiers being defeated by a race of teddy bears (I actually think it makes sense since the Empire probably were not expecting them to attack and they have been likely using guerrilla warfare tactics for quite some time) but I do find them very annoying. They are suppose to be cute and funny, but the comedy just feels really out of place with random cutaways to them doing something really stupid and, to be honest, some of the costumes are really ugly but I don't really mind them as much as most people seem to do. I just wish the creators made them a little less comical.

Overall, just like any of the original 'Star Wars' films, I find this to be a near masterpiece with very few flaws. Although not as mature as 'Empire' it is still very good and worth it if you like the first two films, although by this point you probably already have seen it.

A nice ending to a beautiful franchise

Author: lagudafuad from Nigeria
13 February 2013

Star Wars episode VI is just the icing on the cake, the Empire Strikes Back is a classic and George Lucas just adds to an already wonderful story, by giving us a happy ending that we did not expect. Here is where you get to enjoy the power of the force (i.e. when you are comparing this movie to its original two counter parts; A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back) as Luke Skywalker demonstrates true mastery of it, as he had become a Jedi Knight between the events of Empire Strikes Back and now and later after the death of Yoda he became the only Jedi Knight left in the entire cosmos. Episode VI's ending is one of the things that has made the Star Wars franchise a must watch and a must have.

The final battle between Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader was something we all looked forward to, with Luke now a Jedi Knight, that battle was fun as now he and Darth Vader (his father) were evenly matched. The twist ending in the movie's story arc is just something you will come to respect the writers for, as they lead you on a good versus evil mind battle.

The CGI in this movie was one that took me much by surprise it was impressive, it looked so well ahead of its time, with the acting portrayal of Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) was the best in the series so far this is my favorite imprint of him in my mind, "Luke Skywalker Son of Anakin Skywalker and the last Jedi Knight." After the events of the Empire Strike Back which led to the capture of Han Solo (Harrison Ford), after he was frozen in a block of carbonite; Luke and Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) with the help of others formulate a plan to free Solo from the hands of the crime lord Jabba.

After his freedom and escape from Jabba and his minions, the trio decided to take the fight to the Empire, as plans were in place to build another Death Star. This battle was the going to be the final battle between the resistant forces and the empires, with both having an ace up their sleeves.

This battle is parallel though to the Sith Lord's intension to convert Luke over to the Dark Side, as he and Darth Vader waited patiently for him to come so that he too like his father in the Revenge of the Sith will face the test of joining the Dark Side.

Return of the Jedi is the last in the first sequel and the last in the chronology, Episode VI is just a part of a must have when you go buying the Star Wars box set, which I believe every movie lover already have.

The movie was actually meant to be titled the Revenge of the Jedi, but the name got changed later on. Talks are ongoing that Disney is set to release a new Star Wars, Episode VII (probably in 2015) and if possible a new trilogy, here is something I so look forward to.

www.lagsreviews.com

Not as good as the first two movies, but still one of my favorite movies of all time!

Author: theonewithallthecontacts from Denmark
30 January 2013

After two sci-fi blockbuster hits... Rave reviews for both of them... Both beloved by fans... It was time to wrap the massively popular trilogy up, the best they could! Many sequels are lackluster compared to the original, and like Empire, Jedi is not one of those movies! This movie is directed by Richard Marquand. It's really, really good, and it's massively underrated, just because of the whole Ewok ordeal! Not many people were disappointed by this third and seemingly final chapter, to the Star Wars trilogy, but the first two are still better! But it's hard to wrap the a highly popular trilogy up, with a massively awaited third installment! But we do have a very, very good Star Wars movie that wraps the trilogy up brilliantly, which deserves much more credit than it has received!

Jedi takes off almost from where Empire ended, and the story is wrapped up from then! I like Jedi for many things! It's a Star Wars movie, it's got really good action, it contains many epic scenes and lines, it's exciting as hell and it's got great character development! One of the bad things about Jedi could be that it pacing is too quick for it's own good. Sometimes, when I watch it, it's like the movie moves really fast from place to place. But it doesn't mean much! The Ewoks however could have been the sole reason I only gave this movie a 9/10! I could have bought the fact that Wookiees were defeating "The Emperors best troops" but Ewoks? Come on! But forget the Ewoks, and the rest of the movie is completely awesome and exciting as hell! But is is the weakest of the original trilogy! But we're still a long way from The Phantom Menace, I can tell you that!

Mark Hamill is good as always as Luke, and so is Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford in their brilliant roles! Darth Vader is also as epic as in Star Wars and Empire, but we have a new villain in Jedi. The Emperor! Ian McDiarmid is astonishingly creepy in the role, and he contributes to one of Star Wars' most powerful and epic scenes! We have nice appearances by Jabba the Hut and Boba Fett, as well as from C-3PO, R2-D2 and Chewbacca, which I haven't mentioned in my previous reviews!

The visuals are much better in this movie, though! So is the editing, sound and music! The movie took home an Oscar for the sound, by the way!

So in the end Return of the Jedi is not as good as the two others, but for my money... It's damn close! Not considering the Ewoks! The movie still has: amazing directing, great acting, powerful scenes, great character development, a great script and it's a Star Wars movie! And a damn good one! Well done, Jedi!

Ewoks

Author: Vincentiu from Romania
14 December 2012

piece of a game it is memorable for the courageous ewoks. because the victory of good guys is more than triumphalist joy. because seductive Darth Vader has need of alternative. and because , after tension of many scenes, it is good point presence of small bears as allies and sacrifice for great cause. so, sunny part of Star Wars, it is remember of childhood taste in heart of action. and it is perfect option. so, psychological drops, end of a series, slice of Hamlet and lesson about option. and, sure, magnificent fight scenes. that is all. but Jedi return, for its science to be seed of memories, it is more that. a gift, a sign, a door to imagination empire.

Awesome sci-fi movie series!

Author: Sam Carey from United Kingdom
12 November 2012

Return of the Jedi has to the greatest movie of all time, it features Luke Skywalker and the Rebel Alliance in their battle against the Galactic Empire The story begins with Hal being taken to Jabba the Hutt by Boba Fett, he is then rescued by Leia and Luke, but the rescue attempt fails and they are all tossed into a pit with a giant beast, who eats a small pig person who also fell in, they kill the beast and are sent to a giant pit on Tatooine, where they are to be fed by a Sarlacc, however Lando quickly intervenes and the group escape, killing Jabba and Boba Fett in the process, also destroying their barge The group regroup with the Rebel Alliance and travel to Endor, where they must destroy a shield protecting the new Death Star, meanwhile Lando is fighting many TIE fighters and Star Destroyers around the Death Star, and Luke fights his father, Darth Vader A funny scene in the movie is when Admiral Ackbar shouts "IT'S A TRAP", and when some of the Ewoks attack the Stormtroopers I recommend you watch the other five movies first

Star Wars time for the fall of the empire

Author: timothy-pinzone from Middle Earth
7 November 2012

Even though this film is the first to have stupid and crazy characters called Ewoks which defeated the stormtroopers only because that's what the script made it do but also to make the Ewoks look cool and Troopers dumb and stupid(just shoot at your feet and don't panic)but on the other hand I quite frankly enjoyed this movie,not as much as the others in the originals but certainly good to watch and enjoyable.The acting in this film I found was better than the other films and the appearance of the first green light saber to hit the big screen was introduced and certainly bedazzled many right as it came up on screen.

After discovering that Vader is Luke's father this film had a lot of ground to cover to maker it as good as it's predecessors'it didn't quite match up but still took us for an enjoyable ride

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

Author: Jwdjrs from United States
6 November 2012

I loved the movie because it is full of great fun and entertainment. The scene close to the end with Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader is so intense and so entertaining. The original trilogy is much better than the prequel trilogy, by far. The effects are so realistic. It's hard to believe that this movie was made about 30 years ago. James Earl Jones was the perfect voice for the legendary bad guy, Darth Vader. He just fits the voice so perfectly. George Lucas is a genius. His films changed the world. But sadly this was the end of the trilogy. But don't get me started on Episode I or Episode II. Episode III is great, though, especially the end when young Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader. Return of the Jedi is by far the darkest of the trilogy, but not really the best. It is still a great movie, though.

Great Entertainment!

Author: danielaustin-735-484497 from United Kingdom
8 August 2012

Although this isn't my fav Star Wars film it is the 3rd best by a long way.

Most people have a problem because of the Ewoks and I can see their point. Unfortunately for true Star Wars fans this type of thing carried over to episodes 1,2 and 3 (crap).

Anyway the story is actually similar to the first one with the Death Star being destroyed but its actually a lot more involved. One of my fav scenes in at Jabba's palace which I think everyone enjoys. The middle of the film can be a little slow in places but towards the end it gets going again. The space battle is nothing short of fantastic and is possible one of the best scenes in all of the Star Wars movies.

The Falcon flying out of the Death Start while it is exploding is awesome.

Not as good as the first two but still one of the all time greats!

For the Most Amazing Trilogy

Author: sena bnc from Turkey
6 June 2012

This is the most amazing trilogy, i have ever seen. I don't know where i am start. First of all, it is unbelievable that these movies were performed in 80s. Screenplay, effects were amazing. Acting is already great. I have first decided to watch this trilogy, i postponed it always because of the comments of people around me. But when i watched it, i regretted very much. I think everyone must watch this films very quickly. Second of all, when you watch it, you realized that the other films and PC games were originated from this trilogy. Countless films performed after this trilogy has carried something from this trilogy. First film (Star Wars : A New Hope) and the second one (Star Wars : Empire Strikes Back) have left many questions. But the last film (star wars: return of the Jedi) has answered all of them , i think:

1.We learned that the other hope that was said in the second film. It was Princess Leia.

2.We saw the Darth Vader without mask and it was awesome. That moment was proof of Anakin Skywalker has still lives.

3.We saw that Luke has become a Jedi. He is very powerful, because the force is strong in his family.

4. Finally and the most amazing thing, i think; Emperor's death by the Darth Vader.

This trilogy is in my archive anymore. I think i will watch this films again and again,because they are awesome.