Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
Page 4 of 67: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

The Greatest and Most Undervalued Star Wars Film

Author: Inception Report from United Kingdom
16 December 2016

Despite the original Star Wars trilogy being considered one of the greatest trilogies of all time it's final instalment Return of The Jedi is only considered to be good and I have to say that not only do I think this movie is on par with the past two entries, I actually think this is better than them. A large part of why I love this movie so much is how satisfying it is, the entire trilogy has built up to the events in this film, so we're completely invested in the characters and situation, it all came together perfectly. All the characters in this film are different than they were in the last two films and if adds to there characters to see that there are still consequences to every action they take. I thought that The Emperor was a fantastic villain for this film as we truly realise just how powerful he is and it was interesting to see how he controlled Vader. The physiological and physical war that goes on between Luke and Darth Vader is done perfectly, now only is is incredibly intense but it's also very Eye opening to see a more personal fight for Vader and we understand just how much the emperor has taken from him. The final three way battle against the empire and the Death Star is done just right because we understand just how much the characters need to rely on each other to succeed, all the arcs feed into each other and I found it to be extremely well done. Now I wanted to address in this review some of the most common complaints with this film and why I disagree with them, for one I thought it was an interesting idea to bring in a second Death Star because it created a new sense of urgency as we know from the get go in this film, the power that it possesses and I thought the way they destroy it in this film was better executed than in the original. While most people were willing to understand that complaint, the Ewoks are extremely hated upon when talking about this film but I really liked the idea of them and found it somewhat inspiring that they went up against the empire. The most powerful scene in this film is that of Vader funeral it was an extremely personal scene and thought that ten silence of Luke staring at his fathers bodies was extremely heartfelt and was a satisfying conclusion to the arc they have built across the series.

I really do think that this film was the best Star Wars films, it's got all the characters back in satisfying and well done ways, all the character arcs all come to a close nicely and the final scene of this film was just a perfect way to wrap up the trilogy and will always make this one of my favourite movies of all time and one of my favourite sequels of all time.

100%/A+

Return of the viewing.

Author: Oltgon from Norway
31 January 2016

The continuation of Luke Skywalker's adventure is adventurous and fun, but is it better then the previous installments?

I'll start of by talking about something that have always bothered me; Return of the Jedi's cinematography and directing, it has just always felt a bit off, even since I was a kid, back when I didn't even have cinematography in my vocabulary. A lot of wasted shots, the director seemed to struggle to shoot conversations and other scenes, they come off as weird and awkward. There are a few good looking shots, but many gets wasted because of poorly lighted sets, but just a few. It had a very old-fashioned and assembly-line approach to its cinematography. ROTJ has a strong feel of the old coverage system: establishing shot, master of the whole scene and then the closeups at the end. ROTJ just seems to be riddled with scenes photographed in that same old formula with very little fresh ideas or risk-taking.

John Williams' score; it's just brilliant, in my opinion the best of the saga. it's highly underrated. Williams composes emotions, creating the feelings throughout the scenes, I get goosebumps every time the music swells, or raises the slightest.

Its special effects has aged poorly, even compared to the older installments of the saga; The Empire Strikes Back and A New Hope has aged well in comparison. The famous space battle is still epic, and still holds up, they are still worth watching on repeat and still feels energetic.

Acting-wise; there aren't really any standout performances, other than a few of the characters being more developed since The Empire Strikes Back, they still got the charm intact.

ROTJ's has got far from the most intelligent ideas, it's silly and stupid at times, other times the ideas work. A few of the ideas got massive potential, that gets wasted, but I'm here to judge it on what it is, not what it could have been. It's written adventurous and fun, but it's far from innovative and smart.

The movie has got decent pacing from start to finish. Enjoyable tempo, with not really any specially boring scenes, making it really re-watchable. It's far from a masterpiece like the previous installments, but Star Wars was never meant to be a masterpiece, this movie succeed in being fun and adventurous. It's not near the greatest movies ever, but it's one of the most memorable and fun, adventure, fantasy movies ever. It's also a worthy ending for the original trilogy.

One of the most satisfying conclusions in any trilogy

Author: joetufano719 from United States
20 December 2012

Unfortunately, this movie has a bad reputation because of the Ewoks. The fans need to let that go. Sure it wasn't the best idea, but it certainly wasn't the worst idea. I'm probably letting nostalgia get in the way, but the Ewoks never bothered me. I can see why people don't like them, and I know that the idea of teddy bears using bolas and sticks to defeat highly trained soldiers is ridiculous. But hey, at least it wasn't Jar Jar and I'll take the Ewoks over Jar-Jar any day of the week. All in all, I love Return of the Jedi just like I love the other two films in the trilogy.

Story: After rescuing Han Solo from the clutches of Jabba the Hutt, Luke Skywalker and Leia rejoin the Rebel Alliance to destroy the 2nd Death Star while Luke prepares for his final challenge to confront his father, Darth Vader and the Emperor.

What makes this movie great? Like I said in my review of the first Star Wars movie: the characters and the story are the main focus and not the spectacle. The acting once again delivers 100% with Mark Hamill giving in my opinion probably his best performance as Luke Skywalker in the entire trilogy. Luke has matured at this point in the trilogy, more patient and the scene where he first uses his new green light saber at the Sarlaac pit is so awesome. Harrison Ford once again is great as Han Solo with the character being more mature in this one than the first two outings. Carrie Fisher once again is great, and I remember the first time I was watching this and the revelation of Leia being Luke's sister really surprised me. Billy Dee Williams once again brings his own charm as Lando, and Ian McDiarmid is really great at playing Emperor Palpatine.

There are so many other things that work in this movie: the Sarlaac Pit sequence, Yoda telling Luke there is another Skywalker which Luke learns through the spirit of Obi Wan that it's Leia, the speeder bike chase on Endor and the space battle where Lando destroys the 2nd Death Star. But most of all the final confrontation between Luke and Darth Vader with the Emperor relentlessly taunting Luke with lines such as "Use your aggressive feelings boy! Let the hate flow through you!" Luke of course has learned to use the discipline that he learned from Yoda and Obi Wan and not give in, and tries to get Darth Vader to come back from the dark side. But Luke nearly falls into the dark side when Darth Vader threatens to turn Leia to the dark side and Luke loses it and cuts off Vader's hand. Luke stops himself and refuses to give into the dark side, and the Emperor responds by shooting lighting out of his hands at Luke. Then comes in probably my favorite scene in the entire movie: while the Emperor is electrocuting Luke, the camera pans up to Darth Vader's mask showing Vader looking back to the Emperor and back to Luke, and all of a sudden he lifts the Emperor and throws him down the reactor pit and the Emperor dies. The reason why I love this part so much is that the way the camera focuses on Darth Vader with the music playing in the background, the audience gets the impression that Vader's conflicted and then without saying a word, he decides that he will not let Palpatine kill his son, and is redeemed (Whatever you say, don't even get me started about the change George Lucas made in this scene). I have to admit, the scene where Luke removes Vader's mask gets me a bit emotional, especially when Vader says "You were right about me".

Watching this again recently made me realize how great and underrated this movie is despite the common complaint about the Ewoks. Again, the Ewoks don't really bother me and the Yub Nub song (the one before came another change I'd rather not talk about) makes me feel like a little kid again. This film works terrifically as the final chapter in the original trilogy with the character arcs ending on a positive note for the main characters and all is right with the galaxy. "Return of the Jedi", along with the other two will always have a special place in my heart. This set of movies shaped my life in so many ways and gave me so many great experiences with my friends who also loved Star Wars, and my Dad who saw them in theaters back in the 70's and 80's and even my Mom (though she isn't really into Star Wars, even after she watched them with me. But it was worth a try).

Regardless of how much hate George Lucas gets these days because of the prequels and "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull", people need to watch this and the other two original films again to be reminded of how great a saga George Lucas gave to the world. This is in my opinion one of the best conclusions in any trilogy, and like I said about the Ewoks, the fans need to let that go. In light of the recent news of Episode 7 currently in the works, let's hope whoever decides to direct the new trilogy in the future can bring back the spirit of Star Wars that was missing from the prequel trilogy.

The Force will be with you....Always!

Author: reddragonhero17 from United States
3 July 2015

I grew up on the original Star Wars saga, and I still love it to this day. Has everything, a little boy could want: shootouts, sword fights, amazing creatures, beautiful women, cool vehicles, and magic. But what good is all that if you don't have a good story? Thankfully this saga successfully integrated that in so the eye candy doesn't overpower it all. This last installment has got a bit of a bad wrap due to its over-emphasis on action, and less on emotional pathos, but I disagree since it all wraps everything from the previous two up perfectly. Some have frowned upon the Ewoks, but I love them. They're cuddly and they prove very resourceful against the Imperial Empire (they're the Birnham Wood that came to Duinsane Hill). I actually adore Leia in the Gold Metal Bikini, very gorgeous eyeful!! My favorite part however, is Luke's last battle. Returning the favor with a hand slice finish, he prove's what a real Jedi is. My favorite quote is "You failed your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me!" The way Mark Hamill handles Yoda's death is touching, he's come a long way. This movie is my favorite of the original saga.

Emotionally Powerful

Author: gigan-92 from United States
11 April 2009

The finale of the original Star Wars trilogy!! The entire cast returns for a thrilling installment I must say. Mark Hamill is Luke once more and he looks bad ass in the all black Jedi outfit. Especially with the new green light saber, yes!!!! Chewbacca even gets a new hairdo, which I prefer over the 'greased' back look. But now let's get serious. The opening scene on Tatooine is great to say the least and Jabba's palace is excellent. When Luke enters it gets only better, the dark and mysterious entrance being great. Now a true Jedi, Skywalker has no need for a blaster and simply uses the force to silence his foes....PERFECT!!! The Rancor was a nice monster but the next scene is even better at the pit of 'Sarlac' where Luke nearly single handily defeats Jabba and co. The action here was great, Lando (Billy Dee Williams) having a bigger role in this film and I like his performance. Boba Fett seems to die, but if you're a fan ( a FAN- FAN) you know this isn't so.

Any who, Luke visits Yoda on Dagobah for the last time and it is a sad moment. We learn Liea is actually Luke's sister so in the end it's a good thing they didn't get together (lol). Would've been kind of awkward if they had. Apparently the Empire has a new Death Star under construction and the Rebel Alliance mobilizes immediately to try and take it down before its completion. It is here my opinions jumble a bit...

The Barc Speeder sequences are just incredible, my second favorite action scene in the film. The SFX here were simply amazing. Sigh, then the Ewoks arrive.. The admittedly cute little teddy bears totally backlash on the film's darker story. They somehow not only stand a chance but actually defeat the Imperial forces with minimal casualties, despite using rocks and trip wires! The tone is nearly ruined here thanks to the annoying Ewoks. At the same time, we have THE GREATEST LIGHT SABER DUEL EVER going on!!!!! Luke finally gives into his rage and attacks the Emperor, only to have to confront his father, Vader. This leads to one of the greatest duels in Star Wars history! It's emotional and cleverly choreographed and the music by John Williams is probably the darkest and one of his best pieces EVER!!!! Luke defeats Vader in a fit of rage, an excellent performance no doubt and the music continues to be no less than stunning. Darth Sidious, aka the Emperor, now prepares to kill Luke for his "lack of vision" (my favorite quote of his) and the all the emotional turmoil finally ends as Darth Vader himself destroys his Master. We see his sacrifice and now realize he is no longer Darth Vader but once more Anakin Skywalker, and I just loved that part of the story. The music really embraced this moment and it all seems to be one of the greatest movie moments ever, until we see the Ewoks celebrating...damn!!! In conclusion, Episode VI is still emotionally powerful, has great action and compelling music, but the Ewoks still take a star off. 9 out of 10, not so bad.

Underrated, and completely satisfying

Author: kyle-cruse from California
13 September 2008

Some people have disliked this film, and I truly don't see why. "Return of the Jedi," does not, contrary to popular opinion, ruin the original "Star Wars" trilogy but rather ties it up in a perfectly satisfying way. The opening scenes at Jabba the Hutt's palace are well done. Jabba is a much meaner and scarier villain here than the short clip in the 1997 re-release of "A New Hope" showed him to be. Luke Skywalker is forced to make his most difficult choices in this film, and the intensity of the film's last half-hour is some of the most compelling film-making I've ever seen. The themes and messages of redemption and good vs. evil are superbly done here. "Return of the Jedi" is a very exciting and engaging film, memorable and worth watching many times, especially now that Episode III has been made. It's not as perfect as the previous two Star Wars films were, but it is a very pleasing and happy conclusion to an amazing story. The fourth best in the saga, behind the two originals and Episode III. Nearly perfect.

***1/2 out of ****

what a way to end a great trilogy!

Author: ADOZER200 from az
2 May 2002

This was an absolute great ending to any movie. Many people put it down for not being so great but lets think about this, it had the final battle between Skywalker and Vader, the rebels destroyed the death star,and we visited new places such as Jabas palace and the moon endor and they included many new characters like Jaba, the ewoks, and Emperor Palpatine. Now what more could you ask for in a movie. It was a great and sometime underrated ending to a great trilogy. Not to mention it made more money then Empire Strikes Back. Lets just say its well worth watching over and over again.

The best movie ever!!

Author: Smurf-15 from Stockholm, Sweden
2 January 1999

This is the absolutely best movie ever made!! None of all the new movies out there can ever compete with "Return of the Jedi". I think this is the movie of the century, definitely. All Star Wars movies are great but this is the best!! If you haven't seen it yet, go rent it this very second, you won't regret it, I can assure you that!!

Excellent ending to a beloved trilogy

Author: julianmintz63 from United States
14 February 2015

It is understandable, when compared to The Empire Strikes Back, why Return of the Jedi gets some stick. Where the first sequel moved the story in exciting new directions, the closing chapter seemed derivative of the original film. But even if Return of the Jedi didn't deliver in the same way as its predecessor, there is still plenty to love about it.

-The rescue of Han Solo at the beginning of the film is an excellent re-introduction of Luke Skywalker, who it demonstrated has mastered his skills. He wields the force casually as he enters Jabba's Palace, and by the time he is chopping down henchmen on the Sail Barge the audience knows that Luke is now a humble and awesome Jedi. The way that he has implemented the whole plan in and of itself adds to the feeling that Luke has come a long way since he rushed into a bad situation of Cloud City.

-The introduction of the second Death Star may not have the same impact due to the repetition, but with the incomplete portion the design of it is extra cool. The space station itself isn't what has the impact for the dark side though, that's down to meeting the Emperor in the flesh. From Admiral Motti's fearful, "the Emperor's coming here?", the audience know this guy is going to be unpleasant. When he does arrive, on such a huge scale, the movie really kicks into gear with a very real threat established for the Rebellion.

-The Speeder Bike chase is still an exhilarating sequence, showcasing Luke and Leia in some great action. It shows that Lucas has always had a knack for knowing how to improve a slow sequence in the film with some action, as he demonstrated again twenty years later when he added the Droid Factory sequence to Attack of the Clones. The various ways that Luke and Leia dispatch the Scout Troopers are great fun.

-The final battle in Return of the Jedi ticks all the boxes, and marks the first time that Lucas really got into inter cutting multiple battle sequences together. Aside from cuts back to the command room in A New Hope, the final battle is all based on the Alliance attacking the Death Star. By this film, Lucas was able to fulfill his ambitions and have the exciting thrills of a space battle interspersed with the dark, ominous temptation of Luke by the Emperor. Even though the Ewoks have their detractors, it's hard to argue that the forest battle is well plotted as the audience watches the little fellows go from struggling to know how to combat an AT-ST to blowing the thing to pieces.

The emotions may not run as high in the film as they do in its predecessor, but it's so full of awesome characters and action sequences that it still works. As a cohesive whole, Return of the Jedi does not work as well as A New Hope or The Empire Strikes Back, however the different elements in it are all so much fun and well executed that it is hard to have anything but affection for the final chapter in the classic trilogy.

The end of the Star Wars saga?

Author: Michael DeZubiria (wppispam2013@gmail.com) from Luoyang, China
21 July 2002

The Return of the Jedi was George Lucas's last Star Wars film for 16 years, until he followed it up with the disappointing prequel The Phantom Menace in 1999. At the time that I am writing this review, Episode II has come out and proved that George Lucas is still able to produce an action packed space adventure (although he also proves that he is relying far too much on computer generated effects), and we are eagerly awaiting the release of Episode III in 2005, the film which has more possibilities than any of the Star Wars films since the original in 1977.

The Return of the Jedi is the film in which we are introduced to the hideous Jabba the Hutt for the first time, as well as a score of other repugnant creatures. When I first watched this film, the first thing that struck me was an enormous increase in the level of gruesomeness that is seen in the creatures in the film. In the first film, even the antagonist creatures were at least mildly pleasant, but now we see Jabba, we see Jabba's disgusting sidekick with the snake things growing out of his head and around his neck, that tooth-riddled pit in the ground, as well as scores of other sickening things. We also get to the first glimpses of the badly damaged Death Star, whose post-explosive appearance is probably even more famous as an image in film history than its original appearance.

The Death Star is the focus of much of the conflict in the film. The Rebellion is making an elaborate attempt to destroy the Death Star, a nearly impossible excursion that involves timing an attack perfectly so that star-fighters can make an internal attack on the Death Star at just the right moment that their rebel partners are on a nearby planet, shutting down the defense mechanism that the Death Star is deriving from it. Clearly, this is not going to be an easy thing to do, and the majority of the film presents the efforts to get all of the forces coordinated to pull this task off, with the ultimate climax occurring as the rebel attack coincides with the revelation that the Death Star is fully functional as a weapon despite massive damage (a little secret they have tactfully decided not to reveal), and that they are already aware of the impending attack and more than capable of squishing all of the attackers like a lot of space-bugs.

Great story, I think. And it's a good thing, too, because there were at least a few other things that I was less than impressed with about this particular installment in the Star Wars saga. The Ewoks, for example, just didn't strike me as something that belonged in a Star Wars film. I am more than willing to accept them, if for no other reason than the fact that they are now one of the more recognizable things from the old Star Wars films (although it seems like there are thousands of recognizable things from the old Star Wars films), but there were several battle scenes that failed to generate much excitement due to all of the cuddly little snuggle bears running around. Besides that, the Ewok costumes were some of the least impressive outfits in any Star Wars film to this day. You could almost see the seams along the sides, the faces were about as realistic as any stuffed animal, and the pads of the feet, which occasionally were in view, were just as toy-like. They were little more than cheap Halloween costumes.

On the other hand, the rest of the film is so entertaining that I am willing to forgive things like this. It's 1983, for crying out loud, so I'm not about to downgrade the movie for something like that, even though both of its predecessors had universally better costumes despite being older films. It's clear throughout the film that we are watching the conclusion of the conflict between the Imperial Forces and the Rebellion that we saw develop in the last two films, which is why it does not quite reach the same level of stupendous excitement and entertainment of them. There are a lot of fascinating characters and creatures introduced here, and some of the battles scenes in space far surpass anything in Star Wars or The Empire Strikes Back, but despite the fascinating story, there is just too much an element of conclusion and tying up loose ends for this movie to be as fresh and exhilarating.

There is great concern in the last act of the movie with the metaphorical presentation of the dark side and the, well, the light side, I guess. Maybe the bright side? Yeah, the bright side, that sounds better. The dark side and the bright side. Luke is being held captive by Darth Vader and the Emperor and being forced to watch his friends careen helplessly into a battle, unaware that they have no chance of winning. As this happens, we are just itching to see Luke go for that light saber and strike someone down with it and do something heroic, but then the Emperor starts trying to convince him to do this. He encourages Luke to give in to his anger and officially become part of the dark side. It's easy to see how Vader was seduced by the dark side, if all it takes is the killing of someone that you bitterly hate because they are forcing you to watch the deaths of your friends. Throughout the entire Star Wars saga, one of the things that I always wondered about was how exactly Vader was seduced by the dark side, and in this scene I found myself seduced by it because I so badly wanted to see Luke do exactly what the Emperor was asking him to do.

Clearly, the story of The Return of the Jedi leaves very little to be desired, with the exciting battles that come from the struggle between the Rebels and the Empire, and with Luke's struggles against the dark side as well as his interaction with Vader as Vader lay dying in his arms (another heavily metaphorical representation of the dark and bright sides). And despite a few elements of the film that prevent it from really rising to the level of quality and pure entertainment that it could have risen to, this is a powerful installment in the Star Wars saga. Given the relatively cheesy end that we saw in this film, with all of our heroes partying and hugging at an Ewok party in the woods (and with Luke giving the stereotypical grin to the ghostly images of Obi Wan and Yoda and the image of his father before he became Darth Vader (?)), I am curious about the future of the Star Wars saga. I've heard rumors about the production of Episodes VII, VIII, and IX, which seem a little far-fetched at this point, but it also seems almost as far-fetched that old George would end one of the greatest film sagas of all time with the closing scene of The Return of the Jedi.