IMDb > Private School (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

An unmitigated disaster.

Author: Oleanderr (bluethunder35@hotmail.com) from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
11 June 2002

I first heard of this film, believe it or not, in a videogame magazine. Electronic Games showed a full page ad for this yawning raunchfest in 1983, but I didn't see it until 1987 or so.

What happens when you put a mix of hot young stars, actors from yesteryear, a horrible script, and a T.V. movie director? You get this 80's disgrace about the sexual shenanigans at two private schools. Relying on dumb, crude humour as well as every school stereotype in the book, this film brings it all to the table. Even though Betsy Russell brings her imposing assets to celluloid, it doesn't help the fact the film relies on pure stupidity and embarrassment to get people to enjoy it. Even Porky's did a better job at emulating the sex-hungry teens than this one. Enroll at this "Private School" at your own risk.

Idiotic teensploitation devoid of plot, logic

Author: pooch-8 from Fargo, North Dakota
12 January 1999

Undoubtedly Matthew Modine and Phoebe Cates fantasize about the day that the negative of Private School might vanish from the face of the earth, as it surely represents an embarrassing nadir in their careers. I love teensploitation, but this film bottoms out as one of the worst of its kind, making My Tutor look like Ibsen and The Last American Virgin look like Shakespeare. Only the most die-hard fans of character legends like Fran Ryan, Richard Stahl, and Frances Bay should bother with this picture, which also features a thankless part for Sylvia Kristel (as the sex education teacher, naturally). Martin Mull earns the only laughs in a cameo as a pharmacist eager to see that teenagers practice safe sex and good oral hygiene.

Oh God, shoot me now...

Author: sinlesshatred from Canada
8 July 2008

I'm surprised this movie isn't in the Bottom 100 list here at IMDb. This piece of garbage showed up on television late one night, and I regretted ever watching this movie.

Many of the characters were extremely clichéd and horrible at acting. Bubba is the pervert, Jim is the heartthrob, Miss Dutchbok is the typical headmistress that everyone hates, and so on and so forth. All men in this movie are portrayed as skirt-chasers, perverts, or extremely horny. The female leads are dim-witted, naive, and absolutely pretty. The script was rather unfunny, as much as it tries to be. What bothered me as well was the unrealistic events in the movie. For example, Bubba is caught as a Peeping Tom by his "girlfriend" Betsy. Several times, actually. Betsy calls him a pervert, then decides that maybe they should get back together again, after many examples of him being a complete and utter jerk. Other characters I felt were unnecessary, such as the Sex Ed. teacher. I would've given more stars if her character was used to show how naive these girls were about sex. There are several issues addressed in the movie as well, such as lesbianism, premarital sex, or father-daughter relationships. However, this movie skims all of these issues, and becomes a brainless flick.

Watch it for the nude scenes, but other than that, this is one horrible movie.

2 beauties and some titties

Author: mf_weaver from United States
13 September 2005

If you simply enjoy watching beautiful women, this film is worth a shot. The plot sucks, the characterizations suck, but Phoebe Cates and "the other woman" (I can't remember her name) are worth the trouble of the patience needed to get through the film. The topless ride on the horse, and the strip tease are memorable scenes that have stuck with me over the years since seeing this film some ten years ago. Phoebe Cates is is by far the more gorgeous beauty in the film, but not as titilating as "the other woman," who shows quite a bit more skin--I suppose that is the burden of blondes in our society. The stupid and overweight hijinx of Bubba are quite annoying and can be sped through with no loss of quality. Look for the scenes with the two beauties and you'll do this film whatever justice it was intended when produced.

Disgusting Excuse For Plotline, Movie

Author: cecilia-5 from Seattle
12 January 1999

Is it possible this script was written, produced and directed by a group of thirteen year old boys? There is only one word that sums up this movie: raunchy. Gratuitous nudity, as well as unbelievable characters define this movie. The acting was cardboard and the script seemed to have been ad-libbed. Do not rent this poor excuse for a movie.

* out of 4.

Author: Brandon L. Sites (brandonsites1981@yahoo.com) from USA
25 May 2002

Good girl Phobe Cates and bad girl Betsy Russell compete with each other over the affections of Matthew Modine while attending a private school in the midst of several sexual hijinks involving there other classmates.

This teen explotion flick ranks at the very bottom of the barrell ( and what a deep one it is), it gets a laugh here and there, but it has to be the most moronic movie ever made. It is very poorly done, but Betsy Russell has an undeniable appeal and plenty of sexy moments, especially a scene involving bareback horseback riding.

Rated R; Lots and lots of nudity, Sexual Situations, and Profanity.

Pretty painful

Author: culwin
4 August 2001

Tries to follow in the tradition of Animal House & Porky's but oops, they forgot something: a script. This movie was written for (and probably by) 13 year-old idiots. Such a great cast, what a total waste. As if it wasn't bad enough, the soundtrack is one of the worst I've ever heard. If you are still considering watching this movie for the "hot chicks", just make sure your fast-forward button works. But for everyone else: stay away!

So Bad....It's Still Not Very Good

Author: Shane Noles (MovieBuff42@aol.com) from Ranburne, Al(United States)
27 March 2005

After hearing of this film and being a fan of Phoebe Cates, I wanted to try and see it. The DVD release was shelved and a VHS copy is near impossible to find. However, my friend David told me at work that it was coming on Encore Love(of all the channels)at 3 in the morning. Excited, I tivo'd it and watched it a few days later. Lol, I wasn't expecting anything intelligent, but even this falls below expectations. This film has no plot, terrible acting, and is 90 minutes of incredibly bad cheese. However, there are some nice T&A shots in the film. Betsy Russell in the horseback riding scene is breathtaking and it's nice to get a shot of Cates' bare ass on the beach. Pretty cool soundtrack and always nice to see Ray Walston pop up for a cameo. The ending to this film was funny, but it's also want I wanted to do to the director and writer of this crap.

Save yourselves! (spoilers)

Author: Pepper Anne from Orlando, Florida
6 October 2004

I think pre-pubescent boys would be one of the few audiences to get a kick out of this ultra-crappy movie. There's something of a story (somewhere), but mostly, the entire movie is about three guys (Matthew Modine, Michael Zorek, and Jonathan Prince) trying to get a peek at the naked private school girls. Main characters Christine (Phoebe Cates wasted) and Jim (Modine, also wasted) are making preparations to lose their virginity. Essentially, this may only be amusing to people who still laugh at the mention of the word boob or nuts. Major amateur hour.

Hell, if you want an 80s teen sex romp comedy, check out the Martha Coolige directed movie, National Lampoon's: The Joy of Sex. The indication of National Lampoon alone be enough to clue you in that this will be a major stupid humor movie. Amidst the hilarious mix of hormone-raging teens at a high school, main characters (played by Michelle Merrynick and Cameron Dye), never think "it" is going to happen to them. That movie, though still somewhat stupid, is at least much much much better than this sorry movie. I'd recommend not wasting time on Private School.

One of the worst sex comedies ever!

Author: Samee Man from UK
2 February 2006

When I sat down to see this movie, I thought it'll be a great experience like "America Pie" since it has a promising starting sequence with a great song performed by "Harry Nilsson". But I was completely wrong. It's one of the worst sex comedies ever made. (Just my opinion.)

"Private School" tries to make us laugh with very immature jokes. Of course, it has some scenes that can be categorized as "funny". But, when you take this movie as a whole is a disaster!

I recommend watching this movie if you wanna see some nice *tits* cause that's the ONLY good thing about this movie.

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]