IMDb > Private School (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Private School

Private School More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

I bow to you oh great lord of mammaries!!!

Author: Deceptikon225 from Baton Rouge, Louisiana
9 December 2002

I say the Betsy Russell topless horseback riding scene alone is worth giving this movie 10 stars! And whose idea was it to show it in slo-mo? Brilliant!! I hope that guy won an Oscar! I also enjoyed the scene with Mrs. Dutchbok and Chauncey in the back seat of the limousine. However, I could have lived without the scene of Matthew and Phoebe at the hotel. Too much of an attempt at some genuine tenderness! If I wanted to see that, I would've watched "Endless Love" or something. Give me prime T&A and slapstick highjinx and I'm satisfied.

B movie with a couple laughs

Author: scoobydoorocks
7 November 2002

While the movie was definitely corny, it has it laughs. However I was disappointed to find out Martin Mull was not credited for his hilarous performance as the pharmacist. Early Matthew Modine flick, but his charm is evident even in this early picture.

Great for what it professes to be: Juvenile.

Author: Tim (bottomappreciator@yahoo.com) from London, England
22 September 2002

This movie is exactly what it explicitly claims to be. It is nudity, lust, and humour characteristic of junior-high students; the film neither aspires to be nor achieves anything more. The best way to describe "Private School" is simply this: It's a flick Al Bundy would love. Need we say more? Male fans of Phoebe Cates will appreciate it, as will male fans of Betsy Russell and any fans of female nudity in general, but those looking for any more edifying characteristics will be sadly disappointed.

I advise renting this movie IF and ONLY IF you're looking for what it patently advertises. There's nothing particularly unwholesome or filthy about "Private School" -- i.e., little or no violence, and none toward females -- but there's equally little in it that's particularly wholesome or clean, as well.

Typical movie of an 80's child

Author: pepe4u22 from Canada
9 February 2011

A run of the mill movie from the 80's with nudity, silliness and boys wanting to see nubile girls bereft of clothing with some broad humour. The movie gets it's rating even though it is a watered down version of the superb Fast Times at Ridgemont High which also starred Phoebe Cates. Yes Ms. Cates is nice to look at but she does not have the ability to carry this movie. The story basically is of some boys and girls at two private schools and all the mischief they seem to get into. The cast tries but I have seen this movie many other times and all the clichés. Fun for the memories but like one's youth something are best in the past.

"So Dumb, But So Beautiful"

Author: star-blazer from United States of America
21 May 2002

This movie is a dud. Scene after irreverent scene of moronic adolescent hijinks and dumb dialogue. The start-to-finish idiocy is retch-inducing. However, tan and shapely Betsy Russell's revealing appearances make the film palatable--barely.

A bad 80s teen flick

Author: stargeek99 from Toronto, Canada
24 October 2004

I had to laugh when I saw that another reviewer learned of this movie from Electronic Games magazine in 1983. I must have had the same issue kicking around my bedroom for years, and the ad always stuck in my mind (must have been Phoebe Cates in that leotard). I didn't see it myself till the mid-90's however, so there's nothing for me to be nostalgic otherwise about the film.

The scene of Modine and his cronies pretending to be women while sneaking around is so bad it has to be seen to be believed.

The film represents the more forgettable of the 80s teen flicks, and when you consider at the same time we had Porky's and Revenge of the Nerds, 2 of the genre's best, this was put out as a complete cash grab.

From the Penthouse to the Outhouse

Author: Brian Washington (Sargebri@att.net) from Los Angeles, California
22 June 2004

About a year before Phoebe Cates was in this garbage, she was in a little movie called Fast Times at Ridgemont High. That film turned out to be the sleeper of 1982 due to its marvelous script and great cast. Flash forward a year later and she is now in a pale wannabe that basically tries to rip off a great film. The story is non-existent and whatever plot this film has is basically the same as the other teen sex romps that came out this year. Too bad that an actress as talented as Ms. Cates had to make a bad career move by acting in this film the year after appearing in a film that, to me, was the American Graffiti of its generation. In fact, she is probably the only actor in this film to have steady work after the release of this film. Avoid this film at all costs.

alleged "comedy"

Author: goya-4 from Pennsylvania US
18 June 1999

This "comedy" about Matthew Modine & his sex crazed buddies was allegedly created by those in the marketing department as a sure fire hit. The only thing they forgot was a script, good actors, funny scenes... A disaster. Not even beautiful Phoebe Cates can save.

An unmitigated disaster.

Author: BlackJack_B
11 June 2002

I first heard of this film, believe it or not, in a videogame magazine. Electronic Games showed a full page ad for this yawning raunchfest in 1983, but I didn't see it until 1987 or so.

What happens when you put a mix of hot young stars, actors from yesteryear, a horrible script, and a T.V. movie director? You get this 80's disgrace about the sexual shenanigans at two private schools. Relying on dumb, crude humour as well as every school stereotype in the book, this film brings it all to the table. Even though Betsy Russell brings her imposing assets to celluloid, it doesn't help the fact the film relies on pure stupidity and embarrassment to get people to enjoy it. Even Porky's did a better job at emulating the sex-hungry teens than this one. Enroll at this "Private School" at your own risk.

Idiotic teensploitation devoid of plot, logic

Author: pooch-8 from Fargo, North Dakota
12 January 1999

Undoubtedly Matthew Modine and Phoebe Cates fantasize about the day that the negative of Private School might vanish from the face of the earth, as it surely represents an embarrassing nadir in their careers. I love teensploitation, but this film bottoms out as one of the worst of its kind, making My Tutor look like Ibsen and The Last American Virgin look like Shakespeare. Only the most die-hard fans of character legends like Fran Ryan, Richard Stahl, and Frances Bay should bother with this picture, which also features a thankless part for Sylvia Kristel (as the sex education teacher, naturally). Martin Mull earns the only laughs in a cameo as a pharmacist eager to see that teenagers practice safe sex and good oral hygiene.

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]