IMDb > Peppermint-Frieden (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Peppermint-Frieden More at IMDbPro »

An absolutely amazing artistic film

Author: Claire (ctjones-1) from Maine, USA
6 July 2003

This was an incredible movie. Yes, it was artistic. No, it was not action-based. It was not MEANT to be a suspense film. It was meant to be a film portraying the psychosis of a terrified child surrounded by the lies adults commonly tell children. It is a fantasic picture of a child's world distorted by loss, fear, and confusion. If you are looking for a movie like Con Air, or Lord of the Rings, by all means go watch something else. This movie is more like Memento, but quieter, sadder, and rather more confusing.

Yeah, you really have to be interested in film to love this flick. But if you've got an eye for artsy movies, you'll love this.

Excellent, beautiful filmmaking

Author: (
19 November 2001

The film's plotline is not enough to evoke what this film is about. It is shot in on black and white, grainy film, to give the audience a feel of the late-1940s-early 50's. Marianne, the main character, is a young girl of about 9 who discovers life in West Germany right after the war. The presence of a rich American in the town, who is having an affair with an English-speaking neighbor, changes the lives of the kids to the utmost. Their poor economic condition is highlighted by his seemingly rich, happy Americanness... The film shows what war does to kids, how they perceive the world, the social life of Germans after the war.

And, despite the theme, this movie is HILARIOUS! I found myself laughing throughout the whole movie; the actors do a terrific job; the scenes are remarkable; it is definitely worth seeing for anyone in the mood for a serious, thought-provoking laugh.

The worst picture I have ever seen

Author: Ghormax from Tübingen, Germany
9 February 1999

Peppermint Frieden is a movie one should not watch if one likes to enjoy just a little bit of suspense. This picture has not an ounce of suspense. I watched it on video and toward the end I only fastforwarded it! Peter Fonda's part in the movie is thin and his performance is without substance.

This picture is classified to be an art picture and thus not acceptable to 'normal' people. There is no interesting love story...

Did I say story? Sorry, but I believe it's not much more than a show of weird pictures and some stupid talking.