IMDb > The Outsiders (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Outsiders

The Outsiders More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 31:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Don't worry about the critics, it's a classic now!!!

Author: PeachHamBeach from Morro Bay, Hammett Valley, Twin Rocks
12 July 2004

This lovely film was universally trashed and smashed by all the critics. FF Coppola directed it, but they still smashed it. I don't get that.

The then unknown cast was: Patrick Swayze, Matt Dillon, C. Thomas Howell, Rob Lowe, Ralph Macchio, Tom Cruise, Emilio Estevez, Diane Lane, and Leif Garrett. All these actors went on to fame, but the whole movie, the performances, the writing, were trashed.

I thought the cinematography was exceptionally lovely. The "Nothing Gold Can Stay" sunrise scene was gorgeous. The camera angles during the hair cutting scenes were creative and intimate. The music was "epic" sounding, yeah, but this film had a huge tie in with Gone With The Wind, remember. I thought the soft lighting and the creamy edging made the film look very much like IT was filmed in 1939!!!

I don't know. I thought the chracters were very engaging and the performances excellent. Lots of people loved this film, regular people like myself, that is.

When trouble finds you, don't back down.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
4 June 2000

A gem from Francis Ford Coppola based on S.E. Hinton's novel. Teenage gang members in a mid 60's Oklahoma town become involved in murder, leading to tragic consequences for all concerned. Filmed mostly in Tulsa, Oklahoma, with a very impressive list of young actors on their way to stardom.

The cast includes Matt Dillon, Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe and Tom Cruise. Also featured are Emilio Estevez, Diane Lane, C. Thomas Howell, Gailard Sartain and Ralph Macchio.

A coming of age movie that packs a punch. Very much worth your time.

Great Movie and Accurate Adaptation

Author: gracegibson from United States
6 March 2005

I had to read the book in seventh grade and we also watched the movie. I though both of them were fabulous. Francis Ford Coppola has adapted almost every detail of the book into this movie. I thought the acting was great and the plot was good for teenagers, which is the movie's, as well as the book's, target audience. I was surprised on how many stars were in this movie (seven) and it was much better than I thought it would be. It didn't seem cheesy and small but you felt like you were watching a real film. Even though the Greasers seem to be born into undesirable lives, watching this movie makes you want to go back to 1967 in the Southwest and be a Greaser, too. Fabulous movie and perfect for teenagers.

Teen tensions mount on both sides of the tracks

Author: mdm-11 from United States
16 October 2004

"The Outsiders" was one of my favorite novels I read in high school, and the film version is just as powerful. -- Set in a small town in 1963 Oklahoma, two groups of teenagers from opposite sides of the tracks defend their "turf" and rival for girls. The "Greasers" are tired of being shown-up by the "Soashes", who drive around in fancy cars and wear expensive clothes, and when someone calls for a "rumble", both sides are in for the fight.

The main plot line centers around two of the younger "Greasers" who are on the run after one of them kills a "Soash", even though it was clearly self defense. Later the boys are celebrated as heroes when they rescue children from a burning building. The dying words of the alleged killer sum up the entire story: The fighting must stop; there are better ways to communicate other than kill one another. The Stevie Wonder song "Stay Gold" is a nice finishing touch. I especially recommend this film for teenagers or young adults; the message is a powerful one and it hasn't aged over the decades.

The Outsiders

Author: PoniboiizaQT from United States
26 March 2005

The Outsiders is one of the best movies and books ever written! It was manatory for me to read it and I got right in with the characters. The movie is......... I can't describe it, it's that awesome! I personally, fell in love with it so much that I've read it 5 times and have seen it 45 times. This movie really brings out the book and if you have not seen it, but you've read it go to your local movie store and rent it! Or, if you have not even read it go read it! This is a movie that you will talk about with your friends and will always remember. Both Coppola and Hinton did a great job with this. This movie included excellent acting to, Matt Dillon, C. Thomas Howell, Ralph Macchio, Emilio Estevez, Rob Lowe, Patrick Swayze, and Tom Cruise. This movie will surly be popular with those who love Drama.

I admire both the book and movie

Author: x0baybc0x from United States
24 March 2005

I think that both the movie and the book were outstanding. The book sent off an amazing image in my mind in-order for me to picture the "happenings" included through the lives of these young kids. In the movie, I thought it sent off a different type of perspective, and yet it was very well done because of the fact that it was changed a bit, though, it was basically a better image of the story where you can see through your eyes, so that you were able to picture and make out with what you originally were thinking. Very well done! The actors were placed in very well positions, and each actor really fit each character the story The Outsiders. =)

Fairly good adaptation

Author: perfectbond
26 February 2005

First let me say that this will not be a comment where the author will be gushing about how "hot" the cast is! Like a lot of people who have commented on this film I, too, read the book first in school and then proceeded to seek out the film to see how the story translated to the screen. I thought esteemed director Francis Ford Coppola (The Godfather, Apocalypse Now) did a fairly competent job of adapting the book (there will always be somerevisions and omissions in such an enterprise). He preserved the essence of the class struggle: the eternal conflict between those who were better favored by birth and station (Socs) with those less favored (Greasers). Coppola elicited more than competent performances from the young up-and-coming cast he assembled. All in all, a very good coming of age film.

An all time classic!

Author: jeffman52001 from Normal, IL, USA
19 December 2004

The Outsiders is a great film, well done and well acted, I read the novel by S.E. Hinton, great book. I am glad they made this movie back in 1983.

The Outsiders touched on a lot of issues when it came to having money and not having money, the "greasers" where the poor kids from the north side of town and the "socs" are the rich kids from the south side of town.

Matt Dillon(Over The Edge, The Flamingo Kid) as Dallas Winston, Tom Cruise(Top Gun, Vanilla Sky, and Minority Report)as Steve, Ralph Macchio(The Karate Kid Parts I,II,and III) as Johnny Cade, C. Thomas Howell(The Hitcher, Red Dawn,and Soul Man) as Ponyboy Curtis, Rob Lowe(About Last Night, St. Elmo's Fire and Wayne's World)as Sodapop Curtis, Patrick Swayze(Red Dawn, Grandview U.S.A. and Point Break) as Darrell Curtis. Emilio Estevez(The Breakfast Club, Repo Man, St. Elmo's Fire and Nightmares) as Two Bit Matthews, Diane Lane(My Dog Skip, Streets of Fire, and Unfaithful) as Cherry Valance, Darren Dalton(Red Dawn) as Randy, and former teen heart throb Leif Garrett as Bob Sheldon, William Smith(Any Which Way You Can, Red Dawn and Conan The Barbarian) as the stork clerk, Michelle Meyrink(Valley Girl, Real Genius, and Revenge of the Nerds) as Marcia, make up the great cast for this awesome film.

The movie really touched me in lots of ways, the story of kids being on the wrong side of the tracks, like Ponyboy and Johnny, who have a lot of heart and goodness inside. The movie does show what the true meaning of friendship and spirituality, especially Ponyboy loving sunsets. The poem by Robert Frost, "Nothing Gold Can Stay", does have a lot of meaning about youth and the moments of enjoying things you find wonderful when you are young, you should always embrace them.

I give this movie 2 thumbs up and 10/10 stars. Francis Ford Coppola did an excellent job directing the movie.

The song, "Stay Gold", is such a great song, sung really well by Stevie Wonder.

Brilliant!

Author: cmmsite from Gothenburg, Sweden
30 December 2003

The Outsiders is a great adaptation of S.E Hinton's wonderful (and heart-breaking) novel. The film is a piece of art. It's got a good, solid story, beautiful photography, convincing acting by the leading actors and a nice score.

It's a star-packed film with appearances by Tom Cruise, Rob Lowe, Patrick Swayze among others. (Not to mention it was directed by Francis Ford Coppola!) But I was most amazed by C. Thomas Howell's portrayal of Ponyboy Curtis, the central character of the novel and film, who did a great job carrying the story.

There are many scenes in the film that are exactly like the book, even following the same dialogue. Usually I don't think that's a good thing since I like to see someone else's interpretation, another one's point of view instead of a copy of the book. But Coppola masters everything beautifully anyway so it never gets boring and C. Thomas Howell's interpretation of his role is what makes the film stand on its own.

Thanks to Howell there are many memorable Ponyboy moments. One of those is Ponyboy's recital of Robert Frost's 'Nothing Gold can stay', which is a scene that stays with you forever. Another actor who caught my attention in this film was Emilio Estevez who plays Two-Bit Mathews, friend of the Curtis brothers and a greaser. Estevez lights up every scene he's in and the film wouldn't be as great without him.

There are only two things I don't like about the film: The greasers are too well-groomed and clean and the socs are a too one-dimensional.

A and Not A: NON SEQUITUR

Author: garthbarnes-83945 from United States
25 June 2015

Spoilers Ahead:

The header is from formal symbolic logic: A and ~A is a logical contradiction. The movie depicts a hellish world where two economic groups fight incessantly. First, this is wrong sociologically for after WW2, the rich moved far away from downtown way out into the suburbs. Hence, the term suburbia was born. By the 50s, the putative setting for the movie, these groups where not mixed together. They had their own respective drive ins and restaurants. The other problem is the invisibility of parents. Soda Pop's died in a crash, Johnny's are spoken of in absentia but all the others are invisible. This is necessary by Hinton for one can hardly idealize childhood without removing the most odious aspect: slavery. Yes, those halcyon, golden days featured the absence of one small word: freedom. Like, ROAD HOUSE, where apparently Jasper has no law enforcement of any kind, here children live alone in some childhood, twilight zone fantasy. The movie is ugly, depressing, slow like molasses and logically contradictory.

My header refers to in the midst of this Stygian world of eternal internecine warfare and hatred, with murder, flight, tragedy, cop execution and resignation we are treated to Robert Frost's poem about NOTHING GOLD CAN STAY. Even without parents, with this fantasy level of freedom, is this a world you would like to stay in forever? Then we get treated to moral relativism: Johnny is both murderer and rescuer good and evil are predicated on situational tricks of fate. Dallas feels that because Johnny dies that entitles him to go on a rampage and we are supposed to pity him. Hinton is a relic of the Progressive Era at the turn of the 20th century that blamed slums for producing criminals. Watch the old movie DEAD END, the same identical silliness. Look, I grew up in a rotten neighborhood and have taken care of my family for twenty years. Being in a slum no more makes you a criminal than moving into a space shuttle makes you an astronaut.

As a film, it is unrelentingly dark, depressing and nihilistic. In the middle of this hellish reality, get ready for an absolutely moving, life affirming poem about how we wish we could live forever in this heavenly paradise? WHAT? The acting is very poor with the exception of Matt Dillon who does a good job. Johnny and Pony Boy's delivery of their lines will make you wince. I always have preferred the more boring but much philosophically deeper RUMBLE FISH. If you enjoy murder, running away, tragedy, a police execution of a young boy, with the addition of two groups of people at each other's throats forever; hey, this is the movie for you. It moves like rocks eroding; I recommend drinking a pot of coffee first, or several energy drinks. Their world is not gold; it is another color, dark brown.

Page 1 of 31:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]