IMDb > The Outsiders (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Outsiders

The Outsiders More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 30:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Don't worry about the critics, it's a classic now!!!

Author: PeachHamBeach from Morro Bay, Hammett Valley, Twin Rocks
12 July 2004

This lovely film was universally trashed and smashed by all the critics. FF Coppola directed it, but they still smashed it. I don't get that.

The then unknown cast was: Patrick Swayze, Matt Dillon, C. Thomas Howell, Rob Lowe, Ralph Macchio, Tom Cruise, Emilio Estevez, Diane Lane, and Leif Garrett. All these actors went on to fame, but the whole movie, the performances, the writing, were trashed.

I thought the cinematography was exceptionally lovely. The "Nothing Gold Can Stay" sunrise scene was gorgeous. The camera angles during the hair cutting scenes were creative and intimate. The music was "epic" sounding, yeah, but this film had a huge tie in with Gone With The Wind, remember. I thought the soft lighting and the creamy edging made the film look very much like IT was filmed in 1939!!!

I don't know. I thought the chracters were very engaging and the performances excellent. Lots of people loved this film, regular people like myself, that is.

When trouble finds you, don't back down.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
4 June 2000

A gem from Francis Ford Coppola based on S.E. Hinton's novel. Teenage gang members in a mid 60's Oklahoma town become involved in murder, leading to tragic consequences for all concerned. Filmed mostly in Tulsa, Oklahoma, with a very impressive list of young actors on their way to stardom.

The cast includes Matt Dillon, Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe and Tom Cruise. Also featured are Emilio Estevez, Diane Lane, C. Thomas Howell, Gailard Sartain and Ralph Macchio.

A coming of age movie that packs a punch. Very much worth your time.

Great Movie and Accurate Adaptation

Author: gracegibson from United States
6 March 2005

I had to read the book in seventh grade and we also watched the movie. I though both of them were fabulous. Francis Ford Coppola has adapted almost every detail of the book into this movie. I thought the acting was great and the plot was good for teenagers, which is the movie's, as well as the book's, target audience. I was surprised on how many stars were in this movie (seven) and it was much better than I thought it would be. It didn't seem cheesy and small but you felt like you were watching a real film. Even though the Greasers seem to be born into undesirable lives, watching this movie makes you want to go back to 1967 in the Southwest and be a Greaser, too. Fabulous movie and perfect for teenagers.

Teen tensions mount on both sides of the tracks

Author: mdm-11 from United States
16 October 2004

"The Outsiders" was one of my favorite novels I read in high school, and the film version is just as powerful. -- Set in a small town in 1963 Oklahoma, two groups of teenagers from opposite sides of the tracks defend their "turf" and rival for girls. The "Greasers" are tired of being shown-up by the "Soashes", who drive around in fancy cars and wear expensive clothes, and when someone calls for a "rumble", both sides are in for the fight.

The main plot line centers around two of the younger "Greasers" who are on the run after one of them kills a "Soash", even though it was clearly self defense. Later the boys are celebrated as heroes when they rescue children from a burning building. The dying words of the alleged killer sum up the entire story: The fighting must stop; there are better ways to communicate other than kill one another. The Stevie Wonder song "Stay Gold" is a nice finishing touch. I especially recommend this film for teenagers or young adults; the message is a powerful one and it hasn't aged over the decades.

The Outsiders

Author: PoniboiizaQT from United States
26 March 2005

The Outsiders is one of the best movies and books ever written! It was manatory for me to read it and I got right in with the characters. The movie is......... I can't describe it, it's that awesome! I personally, fell in love with it so much that I've read it 5 times and have seen it 45 times. This movie really brings out the book and if you have not seen it, but you've read it go to your local movie store and rent it! Or, if you have not even read it go read it! This is a movie that you will talk about with your friends and will always remember. Both Coppola and Hinton did a great job with this. This movie included excellent acting to, Matt Dillon, C. Thomas Howell, Ralph Macchio, Emilio Estevez, Rob Lowe, Patrick Swayze, and Tom Cruise. This movie will surly be popular with those who love Drama.

I admire both the book and movie

Author: x0baybc0x from United States
24 March 2005

I think that both the movie and the book were outstanding. The book sent off an amazing image in my mind in-order for me to picture the "happenings" included through the lives of these young kids. In the movie, I thought it sent off a different type of perspective, and yet it was very well done because of the fact that it was changed a bit, though, it was basically a better image of the story where you can see through your eyes, so that you were able to picture and make out with what you originally were thinking. Very well done! The actors were placed in very well positions, and each actor really fit each character the story The Outsiders. =)

Fairly good adaptation

Author: perfectbond
26 February 2005

First let me say that this will not be a comment where the author will be gushing about how "hot" the cast is! Like a lot of people who have commented on this film I, too, read the book first in school and then proceeded to seek out the film to see how the story translated to the screen. I thought esteemed director Francis Ford Coppola (The Godfather, Apocalypse Now) did a fairly competent job of adapting the book (there will always be somerevisions and omissions in such an enterprise). He preserved the essence of the class struggle: the eternal conflict between those who were better favored by birth and station (Socs) with those less favored (Greasers). Coppola elicited more than competent performances from the young up-and-coming cast he assembled. All in all, a very good coming of age film.

Brilliant!

Author: cmmsite from Gothenburg, Sweden
30 December 2003

The Outsiders is a great adaptation of S.E Hinton's wonderful (and heart-breaking) novel. The film is a piece of art. It's got a good, solid story, beautiful photography, convincing acting by the leading actors and a nice score.

It's a star-packed film with appearances by Tom Cruise, Rob Lowe, Patrick Swayze among others. (Not to mention it was directed by Francis Ford Coppola!) But I was most amazed by C. Thomas Howell's portrayal of Ponyboy Curtis, the central character of the novel and film, who did a great job carrying the story.

There are many scenes in the film that are exactly like the book, even following the same dialogue. Usually I don't think that's a good thing since I like to see someone else's interpretation, another one's point of view instead of a copy of the book. But Coppola masters everything beautifully anyway so it never gets boring and C. Thomas Howell's interpretation of his role is what makes the film stand on its own.

Thanks to Howell there are many memorable Ponyboy moments. One of those is Ponyboy's recital of Robert Frost's 'Nothing Gold can stay', which is a scene that stays with you forever. Another actor who caught my attention in this film was Emilio Estevez who plays Two-Bit Mathews, friend of the Curtis brothers and a greaser. Estevez lights up every scene he's in and the film wouldn't be as great without him.

There are only two things I don't like about the film: The greasers are too well-groomed and clean and the socs are a too one-dimensional.

An all time classic!

Author: jeffman52001 from Normal, IL, USA
19 December 2004

The Outsiders is a great film, well done and well acted, I read the novel by S.E. Hinton, great book. I am glad they made this movie back in 1983.

The Outsiders touched on a lot of issues when it came to having money and not having money, the "greasers" where the poor kids from the north side of town and the "socs" are the rich kids from the south side of town.

Matt Dillon(Over The Edge, The Flamingo Kid) as Dallas Winston, Tom Cruise(Top Gun, Vanilla Sky, and Minority Report)as Steve, Ralph Macchio(The Karate Kid Parts I,II,and III) as Johnny Cade, C. Thomas Howell(The Hitcher, Red Dawn,and Soul Man) as Ponyboy Curtis, Rob Lowe(About Last Night, St. Elmo's Fire and Wayne's World)as Sodapop Curtis, Patrick Swayze(Red Dawn, Grandview U.S.A. and Point Break) as Darrell Curtis. Emilio Estevez(The Breakfast Club, Repo Man, St. Elmo's Fire and Nightmares) as Two Bit Matthews, Diane Lane(My Dog Skip, Streets of Fire, and Unfaithful) as Cherry Valance, Darren Dalton(Red Dawn) as Randy, and former teen heart throb Leif Garrett as Bob Sheldon, William Smith(Any Which Way You Can, Red Dawn and Conan The Barbarian) as the stork clerk, Michelle Meyrink(Valley Girl, Real Genius, and Revenge of the Nerds) as Marcia, make up the great cast for this awesome film.

The movie really touched me in lots of ways, the story of kids being on the wrong side of the tracks, like Ponyboy and Johnny, who have a lot of heart and goodness inside. The movie does show what the true meaning of friendship and spirituality, especially Ponyboy loving sunsets. The poem by Robert Frost, "Nothing Gold Can Stay", does have a lot of meaning about youth and the moments of enjoying things you find wonderful when you are young, you should always embrace them.

I give this movie 2 thumbs up and 10/10 stars. Francis Ford Coppola did an excellent job directing the movie.

The song, "Stay Gold", is such a great song, sung really well by Stevie Wonder.

I loved the Book and Movie

Author: summers_child
30 March 2002

When I first read the book, I thought it was excellent. Then after reading the book, I decided to watch the movie. The first time I watched it I thought it was horrible, but then I watched it a second time and started realizing what the director was trying to point out. I thought that Coppola left out ALOT of VERY important details, like the first chapter, which wasn't really important but more then some scenes he put in. I also think he could have picked the actors better, not by how they acted (they acted great, but by how they looked, in the book it said Dally was towheaded (blonde) and he had dark brown hair in the movie, and it also said he was ugly and frightening, but I found him pretty good looking, BUT it was played by Matt Dillon.

Now I have the movie and have watched it a hundred times, and liking it more every time I see it. I have also read the book over and over, and find it better then the movie. If you are to watch the movie, read the book first because then the film will be easier to understand. I would recommend, both the movie and book to young adults. It was done wonderfully and the actors were great, especially Matt Dillon and Rob Lowe, even though he only had a few lines.

Page 1 of 30:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]