IMDb > National Lampoon's Vacation (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Vacation

National Lampoon's Vacation More at IMDbPro »Vacation (original title)

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

How To Make A Timeless, Original, Hysterical, Satirical Comedy.

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
17 January 2003

Every summer Chevy Chase takes his family on a little trip. This year he went too far.

Chevy Chase stars as Clark Griswold, the typical American businessman. Well, almost a basic businessman. He works in food preservatives. Beverly D'Angelo plays his wife, Anthony Michael Hall plays Rusty, his teenage son, and Dana Barron plays his daughter Audrey . This summer, Clark has decided to go all out and take a vacation with his family to "Walley World," a theme park spoof on Disney World, owned by "Roy Walley".

Basically, this film starts out strong and ends strong. There are many gut grabbing scenes, and the film never resorts to gross out humor. The biggest gross out is when Clark bites into a sandwich a dog leaked on, but that's a different story.

Along the way to Walley World, everything and everything that can go wrong does, and Clark ends up with Aunt Edna (Imogene Coca), who adds more fun to this wallop of a comedy.

The laughter just escalates more and more as we see Clark's dreams flush down the toilet farther and farther, and I can't tell you how much I laughed at some of the scenes.

"Vacation" isn't typical National Lampoon fare.

Chevy Chase gives by far his best performance (akthough he acts just as well in "Christmas Vacation") as Clark, a real optimist, go get'm kind of guy, who completely snaps toward the end of the film. The rest of the cast does well, and Beverly D'Angelo does surprisingly well as a house wife. The two children, Audrey and Rusy, squawk at each other, but not to the point of obnoxious, which is another good thing about this film.

Is it no surprise that John Hughes, the king writer/director of the 80's comedy films wrote this, or that Harold Ramis (Groundhog Day, Ghostbusters, Striped, Analyze This) directed the film?

With cameos by the likes of John Candy, Eugene Levy, Brian Doyle Murray (who played Clark's boss in "Christmas Vacation"), and more, "Vacation" is a comedic triumph of the eighties that is now an icon of how to make a good comedy.

4.5/5 stars --

John Ulmer

How can you not like this movie?

Author: udeaasykle (udeaasykle@hotmail.com) from Sandnes, Norway
24 April 2004

This is one of those movies that i loved when i was younger so i really didn't know what to think as i watched it again. But to my surprise it is still charming, funny and sweet. Enter Chevy Chase as the last family guy, just wanting to spend time with his loving family. A hilarious journey from Chicago to California to get to an amusement park. You may think, that shouldn't be a problem, but it is. This is one vacation you will never forget. I have always liked Chevy Chase and if you watch this movie you will know why. The sweet caring family man losing more and more of his mind is nothing less than funny as hell. Maybe you will think twice about taking your family on vacation after watching this movie. I rate this movie 7/10

Just one word: Awesome!

Author: Krisko1974 from Hamburg, Germany
30 July 2000

I have seen this movie many times on TV (the German dubbed version, of course) and I loved it every time...allthough the more often its shown, the more it gets cut on TV.

Now, for the first time (thanks to DVD), I have been able to watch it in its original language. And it was just awesome! The dialogues were even better and the characters were so much better outlined.

I swear that I will never see such a great movie in a dubbed version again!

To any Germans in here: go get it on DVD (even though it is just in Mono) - and delete the video tape if you have recorded it from TV.

Without a doubt, Chevy Chase's best work!

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
13 August 2005

"Vacation", what a hysterical laugh out loud till you hurt movie! I was watching the wonderful "I love the 80's" on VH1, and they showed this movie. I remember watching it when I was younger, but I didn't get much of it obviously. So, I watched it again, because it looked more appealing than it did when I was a kid.

God, I never laughed so hard in my life. Chevy Chase, Clark Griswald decides that he is not spending enough time with the kids, so he has planned a cross road trip with the family to see their favorite cartoon character theme park "Marty Moose!" and "Wally World!". Back on the old holiday road, it's not going to be easy. Visiting their hick cousin, Eddie and his scary hillbilly family and putting their grumpy old aunt on the trip with the Griswalds. Clark has a mysterious but extremely sexy girl, Christie Brinkly, following him around in a red hot Ferrari. Their car is constantly getting into accidents and dents on the way to California. Finally, after to the point of madness, Clark will kill every person if he has to to get to Wally World.

If you loved "Vacation", I highly recommend "Christmas Vacation" as well. I think the reason why we all love this movie is because we can relate in some way. How many of us go on vacation and nothing goes perfect? I loved the ending of this movie so much! I won't give it away, but trust me that it is that good. If you've seen it, I'm sure you will agree that this is a must see comedy.

10/10-highly deserved!

Still one of my favorite comedies of all time

Author: KristinNAz from Arizona, USA
2 June 2004

Maybe it's the part when they visit the white trash relatives (Randy Quaid and his family) and they acquire Aunt Edna for the family trip. Maybe it's the part when Aunt Edna dies and they put her on the top of the old station wagon,, maybe it's the fighting and bickering all kids do when the family goes somewhere,, or maybe it's the part where the Griswolds drive through a cruddy neighborhood and the station wagon gets vandalised and all of the hib caps taken..I cannot think of a "favorite" part of this movie because it is hilarious from start to finish. Clark Griswold's good intentions gone bad makes this a decent, highly watchable movie with non-stop laughs. It's not ridiculous nor highly exaggarated either- just a typical American family trying to get to Wally World in one piece and everything goes wrong. I think we can all relate to something in this movie when it comes to going on vacation. I still watch this movie every time it's on television and I still laugh every time.

The Best Vacation Movie Ever!

Author: Moviemachine-1 from Los Angeles, CA
9 July 2002

"National Lampoon's Vacation" is a funny movie that follows the Griswold family, Clark (Chevy Chase) and his wife Ellen (Beverly D'Angelo) along with their children Rusty (Anthony Michael Hall) and Audrey (Dana Barron), as they cross country on their station wagon westward from their home in Chicago to Walley World, the Disneyland-like amusement park in California. It took them two weeks to get their and have fun. The film co-stars John Candy (too bad he died), Randy Quaid, Imogene Coca, Eddie Bracken, Eugene Levy, Christie Brinkley (who plays the girl in the Ferrari here), and the other cast and crew. If you have not seen "National Lampoon's Vacation", I suggest you go rent it at your local video store near you and laugh or see it on television and laugh also. If you'll liked it, buy the video or DVD or tape it from any channels on television on blank tape. I think you will not be disappointed. Hilarious!

I give it a perfect 10/10 stars!

One fine movie

Author: John Connor (lezpaul78@aol.com) from Waco, Texas
22 March 1999

One of my all time favorite movies I own. One of Chevy Chase's finest movie besides The 3 Amigos. It seems that Chevy Chase lost his humor after 3 Amigos. But this movie here had everything you could ask for a comedy, and I've seen a number of them. I'd also like to see Dana Barron (Audrey Griswald) in more movies, cause what a hottie she is. And the rest of the cast did a superb job in making this early '80s movie a box office hit; and I would highly recommend anybody to watch this movie, even if it is for the first time.

'Excuse me, I'm looking for directions back to the expressway'

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
19 February 2011

Clark Griswold ignores his family's pleas to go to Hawaii for their summer vacation and opts for the Walley World resort in California instead. His long-suffering wife Ellen wants to fly, but Clark would rather drive and spend time with the kids he hardly ever sees.

Sounds like a simple journey from A to B right? Wrong! The Griswolds are a gene pool of absolute disaster and nothing...NOTHING goes right...ever. The fun begins with Clark being forced to accept a disgusting metallic pea-green family truckster instead of a cool-blue sports model with CB and optional fun pack. It's literally the most hideous car in the history of automobiles (and that includes the car that Homer Simpson made for his brother Herb).

As the lengthy days on the road pass, Clark is ripped-off by street hustlers, guilt-tripped out of $500 from his hick cousin Eddie (Randy Quaid in what is, begrudgingly, his most popular role), ripped-off by a hick sheriff/mechanic, and tempted by gorgeous blonde in a Ferrari. Though Ellen doesn't take kindly to anyone with an eye on her Sparky (actually D'Angelo's pet name for Chevy Chase and not something that was scripted).

Based on John Hughes' ill-fated trip to Disneyworld when he was five-years-old, Vacation brought us Chevy Chase's most famous character (sorry Fletch) and most successful series. He has absolutely perfect chemistry with Beverly D'Angelo, who, with her large eyeballs and perfect timing, is an under-rated comic actress in her own right.

While I absolutely love the first and third movies in the Vacation series, and both definitely score 10/10, I have to say the original is the best as it has a really dark edge that none of the others have. There's virtually nothing in Vacation that isn't funny. Harold Ramis, fresh off the absolute anarchy of Caddyshack, keeps a tight, sadistic reign on the disastrous road trip. If you have a dark sense of humor and enjoy evil comedy then you'll love Vacation. It was one of the first movies I ever saw and it helped turn me into the misanthropic, dysfunctional, ghoulish misfit that I am today.

Thank you, Vacation! Thank you!

Chevy is, a very funny lad.

Author: daveisit from Melbourne, Australia
7 November 2000

National Lampoons Vacation is an absolute classic Chevy Chase film. Chevy (as Clark) is, a very funny lad. Americans are capable of comedy, although are yet to master the British and their achievements in this genre. Each time I watch this film the delivery in Chevy's lines becomes funnier. The absolute classic for the movie is when Clarke talks about the Mississippi River and then the St Louis Arch.

The cross country adventures are taken to extremes with great characters such as cousin Eddy at times stealing big Chevy's thunder. Don't be fooled, I'm not suggesting anyone deserved an Oscar. However, when you watch a comedy and it is comical then they have to be doing something right. If your a fan of Chevy then you will have seen this film so i suggest you go and watch it again.

The Greatest

Author: cbrown-3 from Minnesota, USA
13 November 2000

This movie is the one that started the dynasty. This movie will keep you laughing form start to finish. From the part where he gets the wrong car to where he holds up wally world. Chevy Chase and Randy Quaid did a great job. One of Harold Ramis's greatest movie. I give it 10 out of 10 stars.

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]