IMDb > My Tutor (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
My Tutor

My Tutor More at IMDbPro »

If more tutors looked like Caren Kaye, there'd be more interest in learning French.

Author: Scott LeBrun (Hey_Sweden) from Canada
23 February 2013

Lovers of the 1980s sex comedy genre should have a pretty good time with "My Tutor". It's quite likable and amusing throughout. It's not exactly in the same mold as something like "Porky's", and doesn't really deliver any belly laughs, but that's not the point, as it treats its central relationship with a surprising amount of sensitivity. Handsome Matt Lattanzi stars as Bobby Chrystal, a teen who has flunked his French course. Since his dad (Kevin McCarthy) is stubbornly determined to make his son go to Yale and study international law, the course must be passed. So the dad hires a live-in tutor, Terry Green (the lovely Ms. Kaye) to instruct the boy for the summer. What the virginal Bobby doesn't expect is to fall in love with the young lady. While "My Tutor" isn't as raunchy as some viewers may hope, it does have its entertaining farcical moments here and there, many of them courtesy of co-star Crispin Glover, as Jack, one of Bobby's two buds who accompany him on the quest to experience sex. It's quite a hoot to see Glover strapped to a big wheel by a whip wielding dominatrix; also early on in the picture Bobby is paired with an extremely well endowed prostitute (Kitten Natividad, whose main assets can be seen in all their glory.) But providing a solid anchor for the movie is the portrayal of the evolving relationship between tutor and student, and it's beautifully played by Kaye and Lattanzi. Adding to the appeal of "My Tutor" is its obvious made-in-the-80s feel, complete with upbeat theme song. The actors are all good, with Arlene Golonka playing Bobby's mom, Jewel Shepard ("The Return of the Living Dead") as the sexy phone booth girl, and future director Katt Shea as one of the mud wrestlers. One subplot with Terry's stuck up former boyfriend (Bruce Bauer) trying to worm his way back into her life does have a mildly entertaining payoff, but one has to wonder why another story thread - that of finding out that the Chrystals' hired help have been putting on an act - was created, as it never really goes anywhere. By the end, we can't help but feel good for Bobby when he finally decides to stand up to his dad and vow to go ahead and study astronomy at UCLA, which is what he really wants to do. The characters are engaging, and with some of the female cast members showing off their bodies, one can't really ask for much more than that. Overall, "My Tutor" is pretty good for its genre. Seven out of 10.

C'est sexy et amusant.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
26 January 2013

Cut from the same cloth as Private Lessons (1981) and Risky Business (1983), coming-of-age teen sex comedy My Tutor is pure male fantasy fulfilment, in which virginal teenager Bobby Chrystal (Matt Lattanzi), desperate to pop his cherry, is handed the answer to his problems by his parents when they hire sexy tutor Terry Green (Caren Kaye) to help him pass his French exam.

Having had several sleazy but unsuccessful sexcapades with his equally desperate best friend Jack (the always excellent Crispin Glover), Bobby is more than happy to start learning about 'les oiseaux et les abeilles' from his tasty teacher, who not only knows her way round a french verb, but being a decade older than him, is also pretty familiar with the workings of a man's body!.

Opening with a roomful of women suggestively wriggling, jiggling, gyrating and thrusting their way through an aerobics routine, My Tutor is all about the irresistible allure of the female physical form, and barely a minute passes without some gratuitous female nudity on screen. Naturally, this makes for perfect fodder for hormonal teenage boys, but in addition to all the bare bums and breasts, the film also manages to pack in some remarkably solid performances from its likable leads (whose acting careers really deserved to have been better) and quite a bit of heart as well, Bobby not only discovering how to have fun on his back but also learning to stand on his own two feet against his overbearing father (Kevin McCarthy).

While it's a little far fetched, perhaps, to believe that the young, athletic and clearly very handsome Bobby wouldn't be the centre of attention for girls his own age (maybe it has something to do with his somewhat effeminate voice), My Tutor is still extremely enjoyable nonsense for the duration.

French student studies by surrendering....to love

Author: movieman_kev from United States
13 August 2004

Bobby, a student, needs to pass French class to get into an ivy league school. So his father gets him a tutor in the form of Terry (Caren Kaye, whom sometimes spells her first name with a K as well, make up your mind, dammit). There age difference doesn't stop them from doing stiff extraciriculer activities, if you know what I mean. And I think you do. His two bozo friends are also here to add to the "comedy" factor. This film was much better then "Last American Virgin", cause where as Gary is totally craving man-meat in that movie, Bobby seems pretty straight, well aside from the whole French thing. And it's always nice to see Kevin McCarthy acting. I'm not saying the film is great, far from it. But at the same time it deserves a higher IMDB score.

Eye Candy: Careen Kaye as the tutor who shows boobs and buns, Graem McGavin as the topless floozy in the back of a car, Kitten Natividad as the HUGE breasted hooker, Katt Shea gets her shirt ripped off, and Jewel Shepard shows blink-and-you-miss-it boob.

Where i saw it: TMC

My Grade: C+

FOR WHAT IT IS--pretty good

Author: preppy-3 from United States
15 April 2005

A rich man (Kevin McCarthy) hires a tutor for his teenage son (Matt Lattanzi). Naturally she's a beautiful woman. He's a virgin and wants to sleep with her. She won't and most of the movies involves his "humorous" attempts to have sex with other women.

This was a mild hit up the theatres but exploded on cable TV. During the summer of 1984 this played constantly--that's how I caught it. Now this is basically a silly teen sex comedy but surprisingly well made. There's top-notch production values and the film looks just great. It's also pretty mild (this played uncut on commercial TV in my town) and pleasant to watch on a lazy summer night.

Still that doesn't make this a good movie. Believing Lattanzi is a teenager is ridiculous (he's pretty obviously in his 20s) and most of the humor is just silly. But, for a teen sex comedy, this is pretty enjoyable. Also Lattanzi is very handsome and has a nice body. Also look for a pretty funny parody of the "plastics" sequence from "The Graduate". I was REALLY surprised to see that in a movie like this! Turn off your brain and you'll like it. I give it a 6.

Summer Lovin

Author: queenb80 from United States
19 September 2005

Don't get me wrong. I love 80s movies but this one really didn't do much for me. It stars Matt Latanzi (the poor man's Tom Cruise) as a handsome recent high school graduate who learns that he has failed French and must take an exam to make it up. His dad (the always nefarious Kevin Mccarthy) hires a tutor (Caren Kaye)to live with them and teach his son French. What she teaches him are a lot of bedroom moves and lessons in love. Meanwhile we are treated to several scenes of him and his pals going out and trying to get laid (complete with the goofy "we're teenage boys trying to lose our virginity" music)and several nights of nude swimming. Finally the tutor and her willing pupal make love. You know those scenes where someone is touching a body part and you really have no idea which body part they are touching?(is it a thigh or a breast?)Well this love scene has plenty of those. In the end it doesn't matter if you've learned anything or not; just as long as it looks like you did (thank you Assault of the Party Nerds). I recommend this film if you've got a Saturday night free and you've misplaced the remote control.

Sinking to oblivion

Author: pinkeye999 from Atlanta
6 August 2005

To the extent this movie is remembered at all, it's remembered as a better-than-average example of an 80's teen sex comedy. That's not much of a compliment, but the movie at least had a sympathetic female lead (instead of a snooty and scheming girl who deserved to have her clothes ripped off) and it made attempts to include romance and tenderness with the sex.

Like the rest of the genre, this movie will probably continue to sink into oblivion. Matt Lattanzi may be a wonderful human being for all I know, but he's not a strong screen presence. Someone should have told him that being stiff and expressionless is not the same thing as projecting quiet confidence. The soundtrack is dreadful. Many of the supporting actors, however, especially Arlene Golonka and Crispin Glover, are amusing in their minor roles.

Mixed feelings.

Author: brandon sites (bigpappa1@spinfinder.com) from usa
20 May 2000

After flunking his French class, a teenage boy has to spend the summer being tutored in French. But along the way teacher and student fall in love and begin an affair. The romance story between teacher and student works very well ( the score and music is great in these scenes, plus it is sincere ), but other characters and situations often feel forced and are embarrassing. I have really mixed feelings for this film and it is tough to give a rating, because half of it is soooooo good, yet other half stinks. 7.5 out of 10.

Run-of-the-mill.

Author: gridoon
3 August 2001

Well, this is basically your run-of-the-mill teen sex comedy of the early 80s, although a bit more tame than most. The storyline is wholly unbelievable, even stupid at times (the teacher decides to "take a break" by sitting in front of the obviously lusting young male, wearing only a revealing bikini!), the comic moments are not very funny and Matt Lattanzi is a very bland lead. On the other hand, the love scenes are surprisingly tender for this kind of film. (**)

Those crazy kids....

Author: Mister-6 from United States
8 October 1999

Millions upon millions of these kind of movies are released (usually on Video) every day and none of them have any distinguishing characteristics: a nubile older woman seduces a green young teen boy. some plot points are different than others, but not many.

"My Tutor" has no different markings than any others of its ilk. Okay, maybe Crispin Glover. Oh, and one thing more.

Kitten Natividad, guys. What else is there to say? You don;t know her? Look her up and see what there is about her that's...special. Better yet, see "My Tutor" if just for her. She's funny, sexy, bubbly (VERY bubbly) and just too darn cute.

Three stars. One for die-hard subject matter and two for Kitten.

Jesus, this is terrible

Author: smithern from United States
30 May 2005

This film is completely removed from any sort of reality. It's like watching horny guys be horny for an hour and a half, with or without women to enjoy their company.

Also, the music makes a bad movie worse. It's like playing a game of what song's being ripped off, be it "Let's Get Physical" or "My Sharona".

This movie has lots of nudity, lots of no-name actors (the most notable actors being Kevin McCarthy, who probably at this point is most remembered for his over-the-top role as the station affiliate owner in "UHF" rather than his lead role in "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"; and Crispin Glover, who probably had nightmares about this movie while filming "Willard"), and no redeeming qualities for people other than insomniacs.

This film ages poorly and it's surprising that anyone from the era would actually remember it besides the people who actually worked on the film.