IMDb > Mr. Mom (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mr. Mom

Mr. Mom More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

One of my family's all-time favorities

Author: bppihl from Normal, Illinois
13 August 2004

Of all comedies that I have seen in my 23 years, "Mr. Mom" has got to be one of the best and funniest of them all. I have been a fan of this movie since I was about 4 years old! To be exact, I think I taped three different copies on cable and network until I bought it on video and finally on DVD!

Michael Keaton plays Jack Butler, who, along with several co-workers, loses his job at an auto plant due to layoffs. To make ends meet, wife Caroline (Teri Garr) gets a job at an advertising agency, and he stays home with the kids. Easy, right? Absolutely not! From out of control vacuum cleaners, washing machines and toasters, to the neighborhood ladies, including Joan (Ann Jillian), who has her eye on Jack, running the household is horrendous. On top of this, Caroline is climbing the corporate ladder. But success comes with a price in the form of long hours, travel, and persistence from boss Ron (Martin Mull), who sets his sights on Caroline. Can Jack and Caroline keep the family together despite these woes?

It is my belief that "Mr. Mom" is one of the best comedies of all time, and features Michael Keaton and Teri Garr at their best. People of all ages should see this movie. It shows how successful familial role revearsals have the power to be, and demonstrates how to challenge previous stereotypes about career and family. A great film not to be missed!

I really enjoyed this movie!

Author: MovieLuvaMatt from New Jersey
1 August 2003

Going into this film, I expected some trite family comedy with a lot of cheap gags involving things like the normal guy trying to change diapers. That's why I was really impressed. I enjoyed it a lot! This movie proves why it's a shame that Michael Keaton has turned to "Michael Who?" in the eyes of Hollywood. I hope to God he doesn't start doing direct-to-video crap like some once-popular actors. He is a true talent with impeccable comic timing!

The script is well-written. Though you can call it predictable, it deserves to be predictable. Besides, the plot turns make sense in the context of the characters, and don't feel contrived. The film delivers a fine message without suffocating you with corny sentiment. And Keaton's wonderful performance keeps the film airtight.

There are many hilarious moments. The gag in which Keaton plays poker with a group of homemakers, using coupons instead of money, is absolutely priceless! Plus, I felt for the characters and when you feel for the characters, the jokes are always funnier. When Keaton gets himself into one dilemma after another, I was laughing because I felt sorry for him, and that's the key to physical comedy. You have to care for the character's intentions.

"Mr. Mom" is a funny, sweet, kind-hearted family comedy that doesn't cater to any particular age group. At first glance, it looks an anti-parenting film that manipulates us guys into thinking, "Geez, I'm never gonna have a kid." But as Keaton's character goes through his arc, your attitude changes along with his. Go see it! A truly entertaining movie that's likable in all aspects!

My score: 8 (out of 10)

good family comedy

Author: mcfly-31 from anaheim, ca
29 August 1999

Keatons first lead role after his successful "Night Shift" debut in 82 was this family comedy about a laid off auto worker who takes over at home as his wife (Garr) goes back to work. It is a bit unbelievable that Keaton, after years of having a family, would not know how to operate the washing machine or vaccuum cleaner. But he was so perfect at being silly I had to let it slide. Its a little like a fish outta water story as he has to go to the unfamiliar market, do numerous chores around the house and learn the right way to drop off the kids at school in the morning ("South to drop off, moron!"). Plenty of good moments from a comedic and dramatic standpoint, as Keaton and Garr deal with her being away from home so much. Mull becomes a foil for her as her new boss, having a case of the major league hots for his star employee. Im sure Keaton will always be remembered as Batman, but this will always be my fave of his in one of John Hughes ("The Breakfast Club," "Ferris Buellers Day Off") more unknown works. Good, harmless fun.

8 on a scale of 10

Author: len tinman from Overland Park, Ks.
2 September 2003

This is a funny movie. And, not very many comedies can say that - most unfortunately. Michael Keaton was great. I'm not a big Teri Garr fan, but she was more than adequate as a second banana in the film.

If you have no children, are a man, and have never had to raise any children even for a weekend, then you will certainly appreciate this movie. Everyone should appreciate it, but those of us who have never had the "pleasure" of changing a diaper will probably identify the most.

I cannot imagine how this movie only got a 6.1 on IMBD. I have never known anyone who did not enjoy it.

Family comedies don't get much better than this

Author: (chvylvr80@aol.com) from Northridge, California
22 August 2003

Mr. Mom is, yet again, one of those movies that I have been watching since I was a kid. This is one of Michael Keaton's best movies I think, forget Night Shift and all that. Keaton's greatest strength is comedy. Mr. Mom is well put together, is always funny, and never lags. It does a brillant job of protraying role reversal and the rest of the cast makes this movie a joy to watch. Everyone is good, singling someone out for special praise is unnecessary. I hate kids in movies but I loved the kids in this one. It's because they are not annoyingly cute or naughty or too sweet, they're just normal kids. Bottom Line: This is a great movie and every movie fan and family should have it on the shelf.

Who gets tired of this movie?

Author: Pookyiscute from Nyiregyhaza, Hungary
11 February 2004

Seriously,

I mean, who really gets tired of seeing Michael Keaton playing a housewife? There's just no equivalent to this when it comes to great comedy. I've seen it countless times, and can't believe how little recognition this film actually gets. The main plot of the movie is that Keaton gets fired (or laid off, I can't honestly remember, it's been so long since I've seen it...) from his job, and ironically enough his wife wants to go to work for an advertising company. Reluctantly he agrees, and what follows is just pure chaos. He loves his wife, but at times you get the feeling not enough to keep doing the daily, mundane rituals, he feels woman should be stuck with doing.

It's a great comedy and an awesome rent for anyone over the age of 10. A film that you could actually watch with your kids, and still not have them get certain underlying jokes.

A 9 out of 10 in my estimation. 10 being the highest that is, and the reason I give it a 9 and not quite a 10, well....I guess you'll just have to watch it to make your own decision about that.

And that's my review.

Fun for Keaton

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
9 July 2008

Mr. Mom (1984)

*** (out of 4)

An auto-engineer (Michael Keaton) gets fired from his job so his wife (Teri Garr) must go out and get a job to support the family. This leaves Keaton at home to take care of the kids and house. This is a film I use to watch countless times when I was little because it seemed it was showing up on HBO at least twice a day. I hadn't watched the movie in at least twenty years before this viewing and it held up well for me even though it's clear that it's certainly not a masterpiece or anything too special. The screenplay by John Hughes is pretty light from start to finish but the majority of the humor works thanks to the performance by Keaton. Keaton comes off very likable and he handles to the change from family man to coach potato very well and he manages several laughs. The best moments are when Keaton becomes obsessed with soap operas, which include a very fun dream sequence. Garr is also good in her role as are Jeffrey Tambor and Martin Mull in their supporting roles. I really can't sit here and type why this film works for me outside of its charm. I'm sure many will find the film too silly to enjoy so perhaps it's something nostalgic for me.

Hit-and-Miss Comedy From the 1980s.

Author: tfrizzell from United States
27 July 2002

Michael Keaton gets laid off from his cushy job and figures he will be called back very soon, but that does not happen. Thus wife Teri Garr finds an advertising job really fast and it is up to Keaton to care for their three young children in this admittedly funny, but somewhat under-achieving comedic venture. Martin Mull steals every scene as Garr's new boss and Ann Jillian sizzles as the couple's next door neighbor who has her eye on Keaton. Not bad, but not real good either. Middle-of-the-line entertainment. 2.5 out of 5 stars.

The Greatest Movie Ever.

Author: scott-1054 from United States
8 September 2005

I know it seems weird to say this about a John Hughes film, but I honestly think this is one of the great films of all time. There are so few movies that are so.. flawless. The script is hilarious. The editing is seamless. Every line is quote-worthy. The acting is spot-on. Michael Keaton is at the top of his game, Terry Garr is a comic genius, and the casting is perfect.

The story is both goofy, and rather deep. It conatins at least a dozen of my top 100 all-time favorite movie 'moments'. Its the kind of film you see late at night on TV, and you start watching a few minutes, then suddenly before you know it, you've watched the whole thing AGAIN. Obviously, I highly recommend this film, and encourage more filmmakers to study it, because they just don't make 'em like this anymore.

Mr. Mom is Michael Keaton

Author: tbills2 from United States
19 July 2013

Mr. Mom launches two careers, Michael Keaton's as well as John Hughes'. Mr. Mom was Hughes' first major script and it was Michael Keaton's first major role. Michael's super as Mr. Mom. Michael Keaton starts as Mr. Mom and he goes on to be Johnny Dangerously, Beetlejuice, Batman, Doug, Jack Frost and among many other good parts. John Hughes starts with Mr. Mom and he moves on to write Summer Vacation, The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Planes, Trains & Automobiles, Home Alone are just a few of his numerous good films.

Michael Keaton is one of my very most favorite actors. He's so funny, and good. I love Michael Keaton! He really does make Mr. Mom a hit. Teri Garr's so good too, and the kids are great. Mr. Mom is a likable comedy adventure and very approving.

Mr. Mom makes light at suburbia family home life in a lackadaisical manner. It's lighthearted fun. Mr. Mom is unbound by categorical type restrictions of classification. It's widely amusing. Mr. Mom has a cultured and impetuous personality that's adequate for the viewing. It's kind family fun. Mr. Mom has firm and flexible humor, able to transfer into alternating comedic forms with certainty. It's lovably funny. Mr. Mom invites a relating relationship with the viewer displaying familiarized family issues. It really touches home. There's nothing heavy about Mr. Mom, just a friendly flowing showing.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]