IMDb > The Man with Two Brains (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Man with Two Brains

The Man with Two Brains More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Clearly, viewers either love or hate this movie

Author: ctnow from NYC
21 November 2003

Even among Steve Martin fans, there are those who love his "zany" work (MWTB, the Jerk), and consider his more "commercial" hits (All of Me etc) a sellout, and those who see it the exact opposite.

I love this movie. I am amazed when I view it for the 73rd time and still fall down laughing.

I hope saying this doesn't sound smug, but I suspect those who don't find it funny are missing a lot of the jokes. The fast pace and dry delivery of a lot of hysterical lines are the best part of the movie.

I'm a Steve Martin fan, and this is easily my favorite Steve Martin movie (and possibly my favorite movie of all time - being able to always make me laugh no matter how down I am is worth a lot!)

Murmur!

Author: Ben_Cheshire from Oz
17 April 2004

Policeman: "That woman's not drunk, she's dead!" Dr Michael Hfuhruhurr: "Oh, i better get her to a cemetary right away!"

Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr: The only time we doctors should accept death is when it's caused by our own incompetence.

Shameless madcap farce from Director Carl Reiner (The Jerk, All of Me, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, That Old Feeling) is part romance melodrama, part sex comedy, part thriller, part medical drama, and all silliness. Yet it uses this silliness to touch on a fairly risque philosophical issue - what exactly makes us human? Kathleen Turner is in temptress mode as Martin's new wife who lives to torment men, and forces Martin to seek comfort elsewhere... with a brain in a jar!

Anne Uumellmahaye: I don't think there's a girl floating in a jar anywhere who's as happy as I am.

You have to admire the over-the-top and on-the-edge comedy pairing of Reiner and Martin which produces genuine hilarity, letting-loose fun and general enjoyment for a nice friday night hour and a half (good length too!).

Two thumbs way-up!

Hysterical

Author: film_ophile from boston mass. usa
29 January 2005

I don't know why but it seems that what is 'funny'is about the most difficult thing to agree on. For me, I can count really funny films on two hands(dirty rotten scoundrels; planes, trains and automobiles;marx bros., woody allen,big business; romy and michelle's high school reunion; liar,liar ; monty python's holy grail, and now, The Man With Two Brains .)I can't believe i missed seeing this film up to now, and i'm so glad it was on some film person's recommended list because i have just finished an hour and a half of continuous laughs. what a treat of a screenplay.steve martin is the naive simpleton brain surgeon who gets taken in by devilish scheming wicked witch kathleen turner(such a beauty).a lot of visual gags but it's the wordplay that makes it so continuously funny.(see the discussions part of this site for many of the funniest lines) Boring? No Way. a 10 for me.

Classic on Par with the Marx Brothers

Author: chconnol from New York, N.Y.
10 September 2003

What ever happened to Steve Martin's talent? In the name of becoming a Hollywood "Player", Mr. Martin sold his soul to the suits in the business and thereby squandered his true talent: wacky, irreverent comedy. The fact that "The Man with Two Brains" didn't do well at the box office probably made the studio heads decide that Martin's talents were not selling. Mr. Martin therefore may have panicked in some way and decided to "sell-out" and do the dreadful treacle that he did later and keeps on doing like "Parenthood", "Roxanne" (a particularly pretentious entry of his), "Leap of Faith" (the most blatant of of bids for the ridiculously overrated "Oscar") and the forthcoming (as of this writing) "Cheaper by the Dozen". In "The Man With Two Brains", Steve Martin is so on target in virtually all his scenes that the movie becomes truly inspired. Like the great Marx Brothers' movies of the early to mid 30's, he creates a universe all his own. The movie has it's own unique rhythms and is consistent throughout. He and the rest of the great cast never get sentimental. They keep the whole thing amazingly light and truly (God forgive me for using this word, but it applies )Zany. The entire cast has to be noted for keeping up with Steve Martin including Kathleen Turner giving a great comic-villanous performance, Sissy Spacek as the voice of his beloved "brain" complete with a bizarre name and, most notably popping up COMPLETELY unexepectedly, MERV GRIFFIN! His entrance into the movie simply pushes the whole thing into comic overdrive. There's a number of great comic set pieces and almost all of them work brilliantly. My favorite has to be Martin's meeting up with a knockout blond prostitute. Let's just say that she's got a great body but her voice is....well, just wait and see. A truly great comedy from a man who could've been one of the great enduring comic geniuses of our time but who instead sold out and lost his calling. A tragedy...

One of the most underrated comedies of all time

Author: forehead1 from Dunstable, England
19 December 2001

An extremely funny movie, it deserves to be up there with Airplane! and The Naked Gun in the best 'stupid-funny' films of all time.

Steve Martin excels as the surgeon who falls in love with a dis-membered brain, and Kathleen Turner is perfect for the heartless gold-digger wife role she is given.

I am amazed at how many people have never heard of this film, let alone seen it. Go watch it now - I guarantee you'll be quoting it for months.

Ranks Right Up There With Martin's Funniest

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
10 June 2006

Here is another Carl Reiner-directed "farce" that also stars Steve Martin (the two collaborated before in the '80s in "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid"). This is the best of that duo with a lot of laugh-out loud scenes. There are tons of gags, both obvious and subtle. In fact, I think is one of Martin's funniest performances. Kathleen Turner, his co-star here, played a similar role in another black comedy "Serial Mom." There, too, she played a woman who appeared to be nice on the outside but was evil inside. Turner also liked to show a lot of skin in those '80s flicks, which included "Body Heat."

I had remembered this as a strictly light comedy but was surprised when I viewed it again this year and heard all the sex jokes. Reiner turned out to be a dirty old man but he write and direct some very funny movies. It's unusual for a comedy to be rated "R," but that was the appropriate rating. If you know and don't care if its a bit raunchy, this is a very funny movie.

Martin's second most wackiest comedy

Author: mtiller12 from Portsmouth, England
5 June 2003

This is most indeed Steve Martin's second most wackiest comedy after "The Jerk". Everything about this movie has zip, craze and certain kind of frantic in the pace, which makes for an absouloutley lovable comedy. The story centers round Dr Michael Hfuhruhurr (Steve Martin), spelt Haf-far, he is most probaly the worlds greatest brain surgeon, he is rich and famous. But Michael has emotional problems and his wife died some time ago, though lucky Michael ends up meeting the evil, sexy and seductive Delores (Kathleen Turner), who is a gold digging "Scum queen". They supposedly fall in love and get married, though Michael sensing some problems thinks it is going down hill and thinks a honey moon to Europe would help and so he and Delores go. The Man With Two Brains has two stories, one involves what I said above and another takes place around Europe where Michael ends up falling in love with his research, a human brain! It is Romeo and Juliet as their love is forbiden and Michael goes to extreme lengths to ensure they remain in each others arms, okay that was a bad excuse. What makes The Man With Two Brains so great is the colourful, eighties, eneergetic look that adds the crazy wack to the movie. There are many comedic sets in the movie e.g the condo, scenes in Hfuhrhurr 's hospital. Any movie in which Steve Martin stars is bound to be watchable, but what Martin did back here was he would overact a lot more, he would not do his everyman thing, he is indeed crazy, his eyes in this movie shows a locked up genius with a crazy edge. The character of Hfuhruhurr is a very unlikeable person, but with Martin playing him he is the good guy, he makes you want to come out of this with his loved one. Kathleen Turner is also a comic delight as she does a little micky take of "Body Heat". Screen play wise this is also one of Martin's best as it is witty and full of excellent scenarios. As with any classic comedy there has to be a funny scene that stands above the rest, the scene at the beginning in the car is excellent, Hfuhrhurr: "Can you tell me what you wrote, I believe I may have sounded snobbish?" Interviwer: "My research is the some of the greastest the world has ever seen and in that way will proably so ever plant my reputation as a great proffesor for all eterntity" Hfuhrhurr:"No it didn't sound snobbish... Take out the probably though. Makes me sound wishy washy." Now that is excellent Martin, he does it with every film, not everyody would get that. Another hilarious thing about this movie is it's music, it is so corny and cheesy but without sounding annoying it is just plain funny. Bottom line is, this is one of Martin's landmark films, a film which has visula look, brilliant pacing, trademark manic peformance by Martin and memorbale scenes that stick in the mind. Absoloutley wack, crazy, wild, funny and hilarious.

Very good spoof

Author: Sherlock Jr. from USA
16 September 2000

The Man with Two Brains is not the greatest spoof ever, I'll save that for one of three Mel Brooks movies (Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, The Producers). But still, this is a very good spoof. And if you see any spoof expecting to see great plot lines and deep sub plots, then you shouldn't be watching spoofs. They are made for fun, not for art & Oscars. Martin as always is very funny. There are a few dull moments, but they are few and far in between. A couple jokes are done to many times (like the cat joke). Turner gives a good & sexy performance as the wicked wife. It runs normal length for spoofs, about 90mins and fills most of the 90mins with good laughs. So go to your video store and rent this one, it's worth it.

Just plain funny....

Author: bama1111 (bama1111@aol.com) from United States
1 September 2000

If you like funny, any kind of funny, watch this movie. I don't think you need to like Steve Martin's humor to enjoy this. Silly, goofy, crazy, sight gags...whatever...I laughed my butt off. To me, Steve Martin is always hilarious but Kathleen Turner, too, is very funny, not to mention sexy. I do think most people will find this movie to be very, very funny.

Paging Dr. Hfuhruhurr

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
11 April 2003

THE MAN WITH TWO BRAINS (1983) ***1/2 Steve Martin, Kathleen Turner, David Warner, Paul Benedict, Merv Griffin, Sissy Spacek (voice only). Martin is hilarious as brilliant neuro surgeon of the screw-top transplant, Dr. Hfuhruhurr (pronounced as it sounds!) who has brains on his mind and a "devil woman" wife (the sultry Turner loving every minute of it) as he falls in love with a brain in a jar (voice supplied by the melancholic Spacek). Part Mad Scientist spoof, part Marx Bros./3 Stooges dialogue all parts brilliantly goofy and some wickedly funny moments. Best line: "Into the mud Scum Queen!" Get that cat out of here!! Merv Griffin has a cameo in one truly stunning plot twist.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]