IMDb > Jaws 3-D (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jaws 3-D

Jaws 3-D More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 27:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Stupid plot, rubbish effects and almost no tension to speak of

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
19 July 2004

Mike Brody appears to be totally over the events that struck his family in his youth and now works in Florida's newest underwater attraction – Seaworld. His brother, Sean is less sure and never goes in the water – although a visit to see Mike and a new girlfriend help him confront his fear if not get over it. Meanwhile, something is picking off staff and swimmers getting Mike and the staff out on a shark hunt. They capture a small great white and take it into captivity, only for it to die when it is put in too small a tank. They think their problems are over until an examination of the bite marks on some bodies and they realize that the shark that did the killing is much, much bigger than the one they caught.

I saw this film as a child but couldn't remember if it was any good or not – my childish fears may have made it scary even if the film was poor, so I decided to give it a go again recently. The first thing that struck me was the sheer rubbishness of the effects. In the original Jaws, Spielberg had hidden the shark as much as he could because the effects didn't work (and also therefore upping the tension); however here the makers just decide to show anything – a poorly superimposed image, a rubber shark, fake severed arms and so on – none of them are concealed, they are all shown up in all their rubbish glory. I could forgive it this due to its age but two other films had already managed to handle this issue before this film so I don't see why they went this route when it so clearly didn't work. Some shots are so bad that they could have been mistaken for being a spoof (witness the shark swimming towards the control room).

Of course, after the poor effects the second thing that hits you is the laughable plot. True it is not as bad as part 4 in terms of plausibility but it is still pretty thin. No attempt is made to really give the characters any sort of, well, character and the very basic sea world plot just about manages to give the shark enough high profile feeding scenes to keep the film moving – just don't hold your breath for any logic or sense. In fact, the opposite is true and this film does deliver some moments that make you wonder what the writers were thinking when they conceived some of this stuff! The manner of Jaws' death here would be hilarious if it wasn't so darn pathetic. Even with the plot being poor the film should still have had at least a few moment of fear and tension – many of us fear being eaten alive so it isn't hard to draw on that, but this fails to have any tension or excitement to speak of. The effects suck a lot of this out – but a director who's name is listed in the dictionary alongside the work 'workmanlike' didn't do anything to stop the rot either.

Without characters the cast are set adrift with nothing to do – how Quaid must have envied Roy Schnieder in the first films, at least he was a good character. Quaid runs around the place, Armstrong screams, Putch broods, Thompson screams and Gossett tries to act tough in the middle of a script that gives him nothing to do. I don't blame the cast but I am disappointed that nobody mention how very bad taste it was to make a happy ending out of the dolphins surviving while so many other people had not!

Overall this is just a bad film. I'm not a big one for lists so I'll not play that game here but it is pretty much without any value at all. The plot is poor, the effects are rubbish, the direction is weak, the script just a load of nonsense and there is a total lack of tension, thrills or excitement. The original is a classic and this film is further proof that sometimes classics should be just left alone.

Campy fun.

Author: Aaron1375
21 February 2003

I actually like this Jaws ok. I don't think it is a masterpiece or anything, but it is good if not taken to seriously. This one focuses on the Brodie boys who really went through a growth spurt. One (Dennis Quaid) works at a sea amusement park and this is where the shark attacks take place (this should alone tell you not to take the film to seriously). I actually saw this one at the theater too, so that helps to enjoy the film more as it was rather cool in 3-D and it is the only 3-D movie I have ever seen at the theater so maybe that is why I will always somewhat enjoy it. The plot is at a sea park like I said and first the team goes after this one shark that was rather puny, then you find out there is a bigger one out there. There are a couple of pretty good shark attack scenes and I loved the subplot of the people stuck in that pod underwater. This film isn't for everyone though seeing as how it is ranked as one of the worst so read other people's reviews before deciding to see it.

Not as bad as they say!!!

Author: salvoide from Spain
16 September 2005

First of all, the movie fails mainly due to the 3D effects (sorry for my English, I'm a Spaniard!) 'cause they wanna be more than they're. Sometimes, they look laughable, but the physical effects are awesome (the great great white). I appreciate this movie 'cause this is a movie of my childhood. I saw and recorded it on TV, and I grew with Mike and Kathryn, my right heroes!!!.

Now, I'm conscious about the film's mistakes, but, for a third installment, the result ins't so bad. The plot couldn't innovate the genre, but the idea of a baby shark and his angry mother is... so childish and imaginative. Otherwise the idea of a shark attack in a aquatic park is fabulous. I think that if they made this movie without the 3D effect it looked better. Sometimes, the scales don't agree, and the "lake" looks deeper than it is, for example. The ending, with the mother breaking the control room's glass is... funny (and ridiculous) ...

The characters are well performed, but I saw this film on the Spanish version, so the "dubbing actors" could act better than the original actors. Because of that, I don't understand why Louis Gosset Jr. was nominated for a Razzie award ¿?. The relationship of Mike-Kathryn and Sean-Kelly are convincing.

This movie is far for being the worst of the series. it's clearly weaker than the first ones, but...worthy and entertaining. If the effects weren't 3D, the movie was totally fabulous. But, furthermore there was the 80s. It doesn't look so bad for being 80s. Isn't it?

Mediocre, but Oscar worthy compared to part IV.

Author: TOMASBBloodhound from Omaha, NE USA
15 September 2005

Saw this one in all its 3D glory in the theater back in 1983, and it really scared the heck out of me. (I was ten) This film furthers the saga of the Brody family as sons Sean and Mike are now fully grown and moved away from Amity Island. Sean does something in Colorado if I recall, and Mike is (heh, heh, heh,) an underwater welder who just finished construction of an undersea kingdom at Sea World in Florida. Just when the park is about to have a grand opening, some uninvited guests show up. They being a 35-foot great white shark and her offspring. Needless to say, some people get eaten.

This film was originally going to be made as spoof of the previous two films. I'm not sure if any type of a finished script to that effect exists, but it would be worth a look. Jaws 3D ends up being another serious monster movie with a disaster movie subplot. Not only does the shark eat a bunch of people, it also traps several others in the underwater part of the park. The race is on to save the people and kill the mother shark. Her baby dies midway through after it is captured and hastily put on display in the park. The conclusion is fairly exciting, and full of bloody carnage.

The cast is one of the stronger points of the film. Dennis Quaid is the fearless Mike Brody. Bess Armstrong plays the park's head biologist and Quaid's love interest. (The real sparks were apparently flying between Quaid and Lea Thompson off camera, though!) Thompson plays a water skier at the park, and John Putch plays Sean Brody who falls for her. Simon MacCorkindale and P.H. Moriarity play a couple of Aussies who show up and help battle the sharks. By far the best performance is turned in by Louis Gossett Jr., fresh off his Oscar for An Officer and a Gentleman. He plays the owner/manager/president (I'm really not sure which) of the park. He has a terrific moment as he addresses the park guests in the underwater tunnels over the p.a. system. He turns on the fake executive public relations charm and asks them all to calmly exit the park just as the giant shark is bearing down on them.

The individuals who play Dan and Liz left a lot to be desired. Since no other film credits are listed for them, one would have to conclude that they actually worked at Sea World and were given these roles since this is what they do on a daily basis. Maybe they still work there. Anyone know? The sharks look pretty good in most of the scenes. Except at the very end when the shark is lodged into the control room and its tail is sticking out. That looked incredibly fake. In addition, sharks must always stay moving in the water or they'll die. They can't just lay low in huge underwater structures waiting to pounce on their victims. They usually strike from directly underneath their victims in most attack scenarios. The big shark in this film also has the ability to growl and roar, but not as loudly as the one in part IV! The 3D effect looked very good in the theater, but films like this lose quite a bit of their luster on the TV screen. You're only left with a bunch of gag shots that were supposed to scare viewers in the theater, but now look ludicrous and forced.

This film made some pretty decent $ in its theatrical run, and is still shown regularly on television. If nothing else is on, and you find yourself in front of a TV for an extended period, give this film a try. But be forewarned: Part IV is perhaps the worst film ever made. Don't waste your time on that one! 5 of 10 stars.

The Hound.

Not The Worst Of The Sequels, But Close

Author: Eric-62-2 from Morristown, NJ
25 September 1999

I had avoided seeing this film for fifteen years because of it's bad reputation and because I love the first Jaws as one of the greatest movies ever made. Having survived the horror of "Jaws: The Revenge" once, I decided to see if I could brave this one, though.

About the only thing that surprised me was that the premise wasn't quite as dumb as "Jaws: The Revenge" is. And while there is a reference to the events of "Jaws 2" at least they don't insult our intelligence with a shark pursuing one family etc. of any "Brody curse."

What sinks this film though is that it's dull in every sense. The FX are cheap and terrible and too often it's hard to figure out what's going on here. Scenes that could have been suspenseful with a competent director just plod along in a muddled fashion. In the end, Jaws 3 comes off more as a glorified made for TV type disaster movie with none of the high quality that elevates the original Jaws above such fare.

My favourite sequel to the original.

Author: Prolox from Canada
24 January 2005

Those poor Brody boys, no matter where they go or what they do they always run into a mammoth, flesh hungry shark that they literally have to put their life on the line to try & destroy. Set some fourteen years after the events of JAWS 2, Mike Brody now works as a marine biologist at Sea World, where a baby great white shark has managed to find it's way into the park through an open gate, where it subsequently dies. However as it turns out, this baby shark is not alone, as it's 35 foot mother has also entered through the gate & begins wrecking havoc on the guests attending the park.

JAWS 3-D was the third instalment in the popular moneymaking JAWS series. Throughout the years JAWS 3-D has been given mostly a bad rap by fans, but in my opinion it's nowhere near as bad as many are saying. While far from a perfect film, JAWS 3-D does manage to be a fairly watchable & enjoyable time passer if you are in the right frame of mind. It's not the original, nor does it try to be & I think that is why I tend to see more in this sequel than most fans in the series do. It's a fun little movie, nothing more, nothing less. The plot for the most part is pretty fun & is the only sequel in the series that attempts to do something new with the plot rather than just have another shark on the shores of Amity Long Island run amok & it's also the only movie in the franchise where virtually none of the cast members of the first two return. The direction by JOE ALVES was pretty good, as he manages to capture the action at all the right angles & delivers several cool shots, in fact this would remain his only film, afterwards he went directly back into production designing, which is odd, since he was seemingly obsessed with having a directing career back in the late seventies/early eighties & when the baby sharks mother gets into the park & wrecks havoc, it's well worth the wait.

On the downside however I will admit the film does have a few problems. While I did enjoy the direction by first & only time helmer JOE ALVES, he clearly isn't to polished when it comes to building up much tension or suspense in the film, in fact the film is severely lacking in the suspense & tension department & things aren't helped to much by the films 3D effects that are utterly lame, in fact even some of the corniest of 3D movies released during the 3D "Birthquake" that briefly re-visited screens back in the early 80's, at least took the time to create some interesting 3D images, even if they weren't very original. JAWS 3-D's effects are very poorly done, surprisingly so, considering the fact it was a big budget movie, released by a major studio. In fact the 3-D effects look utterly fake & are not very well done at all. Other 3D movies released during the era, at least took careful steps to separate the actors or objects from the backgrounds, because otherwise there is no real 3D, everything would just look like a cardboard cut out & that's precisely what's wrong with the effects work here! the objects being floated in front of the screen look like pieces of cardboard floating pass the screen or towards the audience (not much fun there) the films interesting plot about a shark getting past the gate & into Sea World is ripe with possibilities for endless shark carnage, but due to the films PG rating, the film never really does anything with it's interesting premise & the threat is never felt even, especially when things are supposed to pick up. Even the lower budgeted JAWS knock-off PIRANHA (1978) did far better things with the intended carnage on the innocent, by schools of deadly fish, both at a summer camp & at the grand opening of a new resort, where dozens of unaware visitors fell prey to deadly fish & the hero's of the story attempting to stop them. No terror ever really breaks loose resulting in an utter waste of something that would have really enlivened the film. Most of the characterization isn't fully fleshed out & the film wastes to much time on Sean Brody & a potential love interest in Lea Thompson, that does nothing for the story & goes absolutely nowhere, in fact I could have done without Mike's younger brother & Thompson's character, take them both out & you would still have a movie! & the film is practically over by the time the baby sharks mother breaks loose & wrecks havoc on the parks participants. A lot the the optical shots look silly & many of the 3D gags just don't work.

All in all, I will admit that while JAWS 3-D may not be in & of itself a great movie, or even a good one, I don't hate it, at least not compared to some other reviewers who have heaped an unending amount of venom on the film. In fact it's actually my favourite sequel after the original (Yes I admit I'm probably one of five people walking this earth who thinks so & one of ten who actually enjoys this movie as a whole) maybe it's nostalgia talking here, since it was actually the very first JAWS movie I ever saw when I was really young & still remember the night my family rented it on VHS back in the mid 80's, I was terrified & it still holds a special place in my heart & instantly takes me back to that special night, making this film in an odd ball sort of way, like a time capsule every time I pop it in to watch it. Recommended! . Followed by JAWS: THE REVENGE

***1/2 stars

It could have worked, but DOES NOT

Author: modern_fred from United States
29 June 2010

I'm certain if you read the screenplay for this third entry in the Jaws franchise you'd think it could amount to a solid sequel. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the idea, it at least adds many new elements to the Jaws formula. Where it all goes wrong is in the execution. The acting, direction, and production values are way, way below what they should have been. The 3-D effects are ridiculous. They bring to mind a SCTV parody of 3-D films, with exaggerated tricks that add nothing to someone watching this in regular format. Compare this to something like The Creature From The Black Lagoon, or It Came From Outer Space- those films were 3-D but play perfectly well as flat films. But those were made by people with talent, this film is not.

There's also the weird idea of using the Sea World park, but making it a fictitious one located near the ocean with completely different attractions- it's a strange bit of promotional advertising. The real Sea World is quite different, and yet it's shown with all these fantastic elements that are pure fantasy. A better idea would have been to name the marine attraction something original. The scenes somehow come off way more corny and trite than the actual theme park was at the time. The use of the dolphins is a great idea that is staged horribly. The old Flipper show had better shark vs. dolphin scenes.

The effects are wretched. In fact, had they worked it would have helped save the whole film from being a waste, but they are totally amateurish, below that of a Roger Corman exploitation film from the 50s or 60s. One expects more from a major studio mounting a sequel to a mega-hit.

The actors offer nothing here. Dennis Quaid and Louis Gosset have shown remarkable talent, but none of it is on display here. Bess Armstrong and Lea Thompson are both very attractive, but again they don't really add anything, and Thompson seems especially vapid here. Luckily all these actors are in a film so filled with incompetence that the music, effects, editing and overall storytelling distract from their work.

Worse then part one, better then part two, better then part four. It's not that bad a film

Author: saint405 from United States
25 June 2005

Jaws 3 is a sequel with the return of the dreaded great white shark that sneaks into a water park after it's baby swims into the park and dies. I saw the film and yeah, the special affects are crap but the film was originally in 3-D. You can totally tell when they used the 3-D affects,after the shark explodes it's teeth coming flying at the viewer, the great white comes right at the audience even though it's not moving, times like that. Now I'm not saying this film is great, it lacks a lot. For one thing, Brody's kids grew up pretty fast!There's a lot of cool deaths, this one diver gets snapped and chewed whole only to have his hand holding a grenade out to a person to pull it's ring, two animal thieves get pulled underwater after they have a funny conversation, this one gate inspector gets mauled pretty badly and so on. So come on, give this film a break. It's not that bad of a film and you might enjoy a little of it. This gets the big 6, not good but not bad.

Terrible special effects but I liked it anyway

Author: Dr. Gore (drgore@hotmail.com) from Los Angeles, California
15 January 2003

*SPOILER ALERT* *SPOILER ALERT*

Jaws invades an underwater park. The idea was great. The problem is the special effects were terrible. I missed it when it came out in theaters so I never got to experience the 3-D phenomenon. Maybe that would have made a difference but I doubt it.

A giant shark attacking a Sea World like park was a great starting point. But it's hard to get scared of Jaws when he looks like the shark at Universal Studios. I mean he was one plastic shark. I need to believe Jaws is a real shark inflicting terror. This time, I didn't. He was definitely a big toy floating in the water. The climax scene was the worst of all.

SPOILER ON ENDING

Jaws goes headfirst through the window of the control room. In 3-D, this might have been cool. In the tape I saw, it looked awful.

Although the effects were rotten, I still find myself enjoying this flick. Face it, all the Jaws sequels have a very high bar set for them. They are not going to even get close to the original "Jaws". For a B giant shark flick, it was pretty good. Comparing it to "Jaws" is unfair but also unavoidable. Even though I know the effects were bad, I still liked it. It was the best "Jaws" sequel.

Would've been fine with an imposing monster

Author: slayrrr666 (slayrrr666@yahoo.com) from Los Angeles, Ca
11 January 2007

"Jaws III" is nowhere near as bad as it's been lead to believe it is.

**SPOILERS**

As Sea World is about to open a new attraction, Sean Brody, (John Putch) arrives to visit brother Michael Brody, (Dennis Quaid) and girlfriend Kathryn Morgan, (Bess Armstrong) when park owner Calvin Bouchard, (Louis Gossett Jr.) welcomes Phillip FitzRoyce, (Simon MacCorkindale) to the park. With strange accidents in the park becoming a routine occurrence, they dive into a lagoon on the grounds and find a shark in it. After capturing the shark and putting it on display, it dies in it's first show. Unsure of how to carry on, they find the shark's mother still living inside the park and attacking the facilities. Working against the possible disasters, they race to stop the fix the attractions and shark before it destroys the park.

The Good News: This one wasn't that bad and was actually pretty decent. The film's greatest factor is that the characterization scenes aren't all that aggravating to sit through. The bar scenes and the few shown with the couples on the job are decently done, giving off a nice sense that a normal couple could be involved in these types of affairs without being forced into them. This sticks out mostly from the uncharacteristic nature of them, and are handled quite nicely, and while they do go on a little bit long for some, they're not a complete time-waster and that's a nice thing to know. The action does come along at the end in all the right installments, featuring a lot of big action set-pieces that come off really well. The discovery of the mother promotes all this, and the film starts in earnest at the time when it crashes into the complex and floods it. The sight of the shark appearing out of nowhere in front of a panicked crowd of tourists and crashes into their structure has delightful possibilities, and they are somewhat played nicely here. It also has a neat shock, as the disembodied head of a victim floats on-screen in front of an unsuspecting child. It's a classic shock that never fails. The race to fix the problem of the stranded visitors is a nice suspense-builder, coming off in a very elegant manner and allowing for some really nail-biting scenes. The chase through the underwater ship is pretty nicely done, and comes off with a great air of urgency about it. The shark in here also looks the closest to a real shark, giving off a realistic shape that is really close to a great white rather than a demonic face with a shark's body. It also displays a realistic touch by moving it's upper lip to attack, something that none of the other sharks did. This wasn't all that terrible.

The Bad News: There actually isn't that much to really dislike in this one. Most of what's wrong with the film is that the effects are pretty abysmal. The 3-D effect isn't employed beyond poking objects into the camera for no reason, stopping the film cold to show those effects. Needless scenes, as having a needle make sure it'll eject properly or having a dolphin emerge out of the water in our faces being prime examples. The green-screen photography present also doesn't help matters, often times making them look worse. The miniature tub is the greatest example, although the young, lifeless shark comes really close. There's no believability at all in hardly anything in the film, and this really hurts the film. It's nearly impossible to have any fear or tension in a film where the main threat isn't imposing, and it's on display nearly every time there's a shark on-screen here. The stupidity inherent in so many situations is a major crime, especially in the first shark's capture and display to the public being quite obvious. The reasons why won't be revealed, but upon thinking of the circumstances surrounding it are mind-numbing and wouldn't play out in real life. The measure of taking out the creature also applies, as it really defies logic that it would be so, and in a scene full of nonsensical things, it's hard to pick one thing about the ending that really works. Just about everything, from the really bad 3-D effects to the shark effects and the eventual outcome all having some manner of involvement together really make it underwhelming. The shark itself deserves mention, as the body count in here is really unacceptable. For a giant shark to cause as much damage and mischief as it does, to be around as many thrashing bodies in the water as it always manages to be around, and the fact that it sneaks up on the victims isn't going to be left out. There should've been more kills in here, and with so many missed opportunities, it's a real shame. The number of times it manages to sneak up on the water-skies without managing so much as to nick them on the leg is a major misgiving, and it really does nothing to help inspire fear in the shark, and with it's appearance and failure to get at so many of it's potential victims, this really fails as a compelling killer shark. These are the main things involved with this that really bring it down.

The Final Verdict: While it's not a complete, utter and total catastrophe like others in the series, there is some fun in this being a total camp-fest. It's a fun, cheesy affair that doesn't really do anything other than be great at that, and that's not that bad for a film to be. If this appeals to you, take a shot, if not, stick to the first two of the sequels.

Rated PG: Graphic Violence and some mild Language